Gary Neville

lsd

The Oracle
Neville's first instinct is to defend Paul Pogba.

Gary's problem is that he's a Pogba-fanboy who's first reaction is to defend his favourite player before even looking at the evidence.

You are being embarrassing now . Neville has an irrational hatred of pogba which pretty much everyone else can see and has seen for a long time

Judas

Open to offers
Imagine actually thinking Gary Neville has an irrational hatred of Paul Pogba. This site has so many people with, ironically, an irrational hate of Gary Neville.

It's a contact sport, every time they step foot on the pitch they risk broken legs, torn muscles all sorts. If they're scared of being hit in the face then they shouldn't be on the pitch
It's not about what they think or dont think. Moving to protect part of your body is an instinctive movement you can do nothing about, and that's why it's not considered deliberate. Pogba got the penalty because it was so far away and he was so theatrical about it. TFM also put his hands up.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's not about what they think or dont think. Moving to protect part of your body is an instinctive movement you can do nothing about, and that's why it's not considered deliberate. Pogba got the penalty because it was so far away and he was so theatrical about it. TFM also put his hands up.
I'm not sure that's even the issue. It's twice now in two home games where he's put us at a disadvantage before we've even got going. You expect a higher level of concentration and professionalism from a seasoned, world cup winning pro.

I can excuse TFM; he's very inexperienced given his lay off, and he's not good enough for this level. He made error after error but the shot from Rice should never have been handled by one of our best players.

I'm not sure that's even the issue. It's twice now in two home games where he's put us at a disadvantage before we've even got going. You expect a higher level of concentration and professionalism from a seasoned, world cup winning pro.

I can excuse TFM; he's very inexperienced given his lay off, and he's not good enough for this level. He made error after error but the shot from Rice should never have been handled by one of our best players.
The point is it's a natural instinct you cannot override. There was nothing he can do about it, professional footballer or not, it's the same when you hear a loud bang and you flinch. Some people have different levels of reaction. I suspect the slow motion replay of VAR made it look worse too, in real time there it's on him in a split second.

PieCrust

It was embarrassing from Pogba. I fail to see how that or pointing it out is even controversial.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The point is it's a natural instinct you cannot override. There was nothing he can do about it, professional footballer or not, it's the same when you hear a loud bang and you flinch. Some people have different levels of reaction. I suspect the slow motion replay of VAR made it look worse too, in real time there it's on him in a split second.
The other point is, he has history of doing it;being all too casual. He did it against Bournemouth, and then promptly missed a penalty of his own.

I can get that the game have caught up with him and am willing to accept that. He didn't look capable of getting forward yesterday and affescting the game in the way he did when he came on against Spurs.

On that point, maybe we're expecting too much right now. A week or so off and I think you'd see a better invigorated team

arnie_ni

His reaction is massively different to everyone else's. Stone wall pen. If he done what tfm did, and it hit his hand its not a pen or at least not worthy of the same criticism

Jonno

Gary Neville put another spot on commentary performance. It was a stupid thing for Pogba to do, and Neville was right to say so. He also offers excellent insight and knowledge.

People saying he enjoys his own voice, he's a frigging commentator not a librarian. Get a grip. It's like some people think it's Neville's fault we were sluggish for most of the game.

Gee Male

You can't believe what you have typed, no way.

If it genuinely is "a natural instinct you cannot override", then how do you explain the thousands of players who have got hit in the face with a ball over the years?

Jonno

It was a good 15-20 yards away. He could have took one for the team, he could have ducked. Anyone whos played footy at any level will know when a shot comes like that you have time to move. Neville was spot on, it was stupid for Pogba to save it with two hands. If he had time to get two solid hands on the ball, he had time to either duck or move to avoid giving a penalty away.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
People are making a meal out of this. Was it a penalty? Yes. Was it unlucky? Yes too. It’s a reflex (I.e not something you can control) to project yourself. So he instinctively put his hand up. We can all moan that he shouldn’t have but it’s a reflex, not something that can be controlled. So whatever and move on.

And this is coming from someone with an irrational dislike of PP.

RoadTrip

If it genuinely is "a natural instinct you cannot override", then how do you explain the thousands of players who have got hit in the face with a ball over the years?
Because they weren’t looking? Because they didn’t have time to react? Because their natural reaction is different?

Are you just being OTT for the sake of it? If someone is walking toward you down a street not doing anything obscure and then suddenly as they get close, they look to punch you, tell me - do you actively think or does your body just react? It reacts. And the next person might react different. Doesn’t mean you or they had any control over the first reflex motion.

Jonno

People are making a meal out of this. Was it a penalty? Yes. Was it unlucky? Yes too. It’s a reflex (I.e not something you can control) to project yourself. So he instinctively put his hand up. We can all moan that he shouldn’t have but it’s a reflex, not something that can be controlled. So whatever and move on.

He's put two hands up and saved it. He could have ducked. He could have took it on the head. Would Maguire have saved it?

It's not good enough. I like Pogba, I'm really glad he's back playing well every game, but last night he cost us 2 points and Neville was right to say what he did.

Jonno

Because they weren’t looking? Because they didn’t have time to react? Because their natural reaction is different?

Are you just being OTT for the sake of it? If someone is walking toward you down a street not doing anything obscure and then suddenly as they get close, they look to punch you, tell me - do you actively think or does your body just react? It reacts. And the next person might react different. Doesn’t mean you or they had any control over the first reflex motion.
If he didn't have time to react, then how did he have time to spot the shot, and put both hands up in front of his face? It seems to me he had adequate time to react by putting his hands up.

Maguire, Bailly, Vidic, Stam, Keane, etc.... wouldn't have reacted by saving it with two full hands. I'm sorry.... Pogba chose to not take one for the team at the expense of a penalty.

RoadTrip

He's put two hands up and saved it. He could have ducked. He could have took it on the head. Would Maguire have saved it?

It's not good enough. I like Pogba, I'm really glad he's back playing well every game, but last night he cost us 2 points and Neville was right to say what he did.
I get that he cost us points but you’re missing the point. You’re absolutely right that all of those things are valid, possible alternatives. But when you say “he could have” - this is the bit that’s missing the point. His reaction to put his hands up was a reflex. I don’t think I need to tell you what a reflex is but you don’t control reflexes. Sure, could he train himself so that in future his natural reaction is different and he doesn’t stick his hands up? Sure. And yeah you could even say he should have trained himself or built up balls for it already. Valid points. But any inclination that he made an active choice to put his hands there is fundamentally wrong.

It's a reflex. You can't control it. Like when you see TV reporters in war zones jumping when a bomb goes off nearby but the soldiers don't move, it's different for everybody and it can be conditioned. But it can never be controlled.

RoadTrip

If he didn't have time to react, then how did he have time to spot the shot, and put both hands up in front of his face? It seems to me he had adequate time to react by putting his hands up.

Maguire, Bailly, Vidic, Stam, Keane, etc.... wouldn't have reacted by saving it with two full hands. I'm sorry.... Pogba chose to not take one for the team at the expense of a penalty.
Bullshit. Pogba didn’t choose anything. It was a reflex. Yeah those players wouldn’t have done the same thing because they have balls and so their reflexes are different. If you don’t think it was a reflex then fine, your view stacks up. But I believe it was, and neither of us can prove otherwise.

Gee Male

Your first para - Pogba was looking, he had loads of time to react. He wasn't switched on and tuned into the game, so his natural reaction was that of a coward.

Does that answer those questions?

Your second para - I might be OTT but it's because I am genuinely pissed off, he is an absolute liability and has been a complete flop despite all of his obvious talent. It is infuriating, and looks like it will cost us big time this season.

Your comparison to being punched by a randomer on the street is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody expects a punch on the street. It seems only Pogba doesn't expect a football on a football pitch.

Gee Male

It's a reflex. You can't control it. Like when you see TV reporters in war zones jumping when a bomb goes off nearby but the soldiers don't move, it's different for everybody and it can be conditioned. But it can never be controlled.
Loads of footballers control that reflex in every game, every day.

Are you honestly, genuinely, comparing the shock of a bomb exploding nearby to the shock of a football coming your way on a football pitch, in a free kick situation, when you are standing between the ball and the goal?

Pogba apologists will go through any mental gymnastics possible it seems.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
In that example you are not expecting a punch. Pogba is in the middle a wall, the job of which is to block a shot. He's looking directly at the ball. There's no surprises as to what might happen. You put your hands over your nuts and get your forehead on it if you can.

If the game was mid-flow and the ball bounced strangely then fair enough, I can see why a player might react the way Pogba did.

Jonno

I get that he cost us points but you’re missing the point. You’re absolutely right that all of those things are valid, possible alternatives. But when you say “he could have” - this is the bit that’s missing the point. His reaction to put his hands up was a reflex. I don’t think I need to tell you what a reflex is but you don’t control reflexes. Sure, could he train himself so that in future his natural reaction is different and he doesn’t stick his hands up? Sure. And yeah you could even say he should have trained himself or built up balls for it already. Valid points. But any inclination that he made an active choice to put his hands there is fundamentally wrong.
I disagree. I believe Pogba made the choice to protect his face. He has the ability to control his body. I've seen different types of players take one in the face. Why don't they have this same "uncontrollable reflex"? I could list you 10+ players that would have taken one in the face. Pogba took a split second decision to put himself first ahead of the team. Why did he apologise to the dressing room if he had an "uncontrollable reflex"?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Criticism of Pogba for the pen is deserved, it was stupid and rash reaction, but it was instinct. If anyone thinks Pogba made a decision to handle the ball there then that’s naive. TFM literally has his hand in front of his face too, lots of penalties are given away every season with players raising there hands to protect themselves.

The thing with Neville is there is always a tone and it gets personal with Pogba. He makes it into a huge incident whenever it involves Pogba.

I can’t imagine had it been McT or Rashford that he wouldn’t have criticised them and said it was stupid or rash. But you can hear the hate in his voice, he wants Pogba to be in big,big trouble. Was such a strange comment to make.

Jonno

Bullshit. Pogba didn’t choose anything. It was a reflex. Yeah those players wouldn’t have done the same thing because they have balls and so their reflexes are different. If you don’t think it was a reflex then fine, your view stacks up. But I believe it was, and neither of us can prove otherwise.
Ok, would Maguire have saved it with two hands? Honestly? Would Vidic? He'd have been knocked to the ground taking treatment for 5-10 minutes.

Why did he apologise to the team for handballing it? Why did they give the penalty? Why did former professionals who have all played the game labelled Pogba silly for deciding to handball over taking one in the face? Because they all know he has control over his body.

It's a football, not a nuclear blast. Not a car crash. A football.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I disagree. I believe Pogba made the choice to protect his face. He has the ability to control his body. I've seen different types of players take one in the face. Why don't they have this same "uncontrollable reflex"? I could list you 10+ players that would have taken one in the face. Pogba took a split second decision to put himself first ahead of the team. Why did he apologise to the dressing room if he had an "uncontrollable reflex"?
Fight / flight people are different. You naming me 10 players that would have taken one in the face is you showing 10 players with similar traits. I could name you 10 players who wouldn’t and I’d be showing you 10 players with the opposite traits.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Fight / flight people are different. You naming me 10 players that would have taken one in the face is you showing 10 players with similar traits. I could name you 10 players who wouldn’t and I’d be showing you 10 players with the opposite traits.
You might be right but you should not really put the "flight" people in the middle of a defensive wall. I'd rather have a shortarse like Fred if he's going to actually try and block the shot.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
People with an agenda will see what they want. Pogba in a split second decision used his hands to protect his face which means he doesn't care about the team. People believe he had enough time to make that decision.

Why does he even bother turning up for work?

Why is that everyone who plays with him has nothing but positive things to say?

You lot would hound any good player out of town whether they deserve it or not.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You might be right but you should not really put the "flight" people in the middle of a defensive wall. I'd rather have a shortarse like Fred if he's going to actually try and block the shot.
I don’t disagree with that. I used to hate going in walls. Then I’d have the guy next to me loving it smacking him in the face.

Jonno

So that then proves my point. Pogba took the decision to handball it because he wasn't up for the fight with the ball. Which is why he apologised to the team and is why Neville was correct to criticise him.

He cost us a penalty in that moment of decision making.

Dante

Average bang
You are being embarrassing now . Neville has an irrational hatred of pogba which pretty much everyone else can see and has seen for a long time
If Neville irrationally hates Pogba, why is his first instinct to defend Pogba?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
So that then proves my point. Pogba took the decision to handball it because he wasn't up for the fight with the ball. Which is why he apologised to the team and is why Neville was correct to criticise him.

He cost us a penalty in that moment of decision making.
Jesus. Some people are so obsessed with being right, they try and turn anything to their agenda. Pathetic

Acole9

Outstanding
Jesus. Some people are so obsessed with being right, they try and turn anything to their agenda. Pathetic
There's a few folk on here if you told them that the grass is green they would argue with you all day long about it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
People with an agenda will see what they want. Pogba in a split second decision used his hands to protect his face which means he doesn't care about the team. People believe he had enough time to make that decision.

Why does he even bother turning up for work?

Why is that everyone who plays with him has nothing but positive things to say?

You lot would hound any good player out of town whether they deserve it or not.
He is a good player and im
Not going to hound him out of town. In the same game he also pulled out of a fifty header on the half way line too, he’s either a shit arse or putting himself first. I’ve blocked free kicks and gone for headers in five aside ffs, never mind playing for Man Utd in the premier league.

Loads of footballers control that reflex in every game, every day.

Are you honestly, genuinely, comparing the shock of a bomb exploding nearby to the shock of a football coming your way on a football pitch, in a free kick situation, when you are standing between the ball and the goal?

Pogba apologists will go through any mental gymnastics possible it seems.
Then it's not a reflex. I don't think you understand what a reflex is.

Andersonson

It can be controlled though. Take a look at it again. What was Pogba doing before the freekick was being taken?

The answer is: Looking away and not paying attention. When the freekick was being taken he wasnt ready therefore an instinct reaction instead of movingaway/being ready to head the ball away