Gary Neville

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Then it's not a reflex. I don't think you understand what a reflex is.
This is not to do with Pogba, although I’d always side with neville over Pogba, Neville has a genuine love for Man Utd and I hear it in his voice when he talks about Pogba as Pogba has angered him in the past, rightly or wrongly.

This reflex thing though, aren’t they learned to be controlled? Ever been in a tyre fitters when the air pops and even though your expecting it cower like a bomb has gone off, so do the apprentices where as the old school tyre fitters have learned not to jump at the noise.
A very long way of saying I don’t agree with your post about reflex’s :lol:

JohnnyKills

Neville just comes across as an angry, bitter man now. Most of his opinions are nonsense, but he transmits them with conviction so everyone thinks he's top.

The way he was hammering United last night was ludicrous. He's obviously a big United fan and, like all of us, wanted them to play better, but he completely ignored the fact that these are extraordinary circumstances and that same XI has played 12 games in six weeks - something he never had to do in his own career because he had better-quality backup.

If he's going to rant at anybody, it should be Ole for his decision to play the stars in the Norwich and Chelsea cup games. But no, it's all the players' fault.

The way he talks you'd think he'd not even played Sunday league football, let alone 600 games at the top level.

Dante

Average bang
This is not to do with Pogba, although I’d always side with neville over Pogba, Neville has a genuine love for Man Utd and I hear it in his voice when he talks about Pogba as Pogba has angered him in the past, rightly or wrongly.

This reflex thing though, aren’t they learned to be controlled? Ever been in a tyre fitters when the air pops and even though your expecting it cower like a bomb has gone off, so do the apprentices where as the old school tyre fitters have learned not to jump at the noise.
A very long way of saying I don’t agree with your post about reflex’s :lol:
If I throw a ball at a basketball player, his first instinct will be to catch it. If I do the same thing to a footballer, it will be to trap it on his foot/chest/head (depending on how high it is).

If a football player can't control his body to be able to avoid giving away a handball, he shouldn't be playing.

In the case of Pogba, he obviously can control himself. He had the time to duck, but lost concentration and moved his hands to handle the ball instead. That's on him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Neville just comes across as an angry, bitter man now. Most of his opinions are nonsense, but he transmits them with conviction so everyone thinks he's top.

The way he was hammering United last night was ludicrous. He's obviously a big United fan and, like all of us, wanted them to play better, but he completely ignored the fact that these are extraordinary circumstances and that same XI has played 12 games in six weeks - something he never had to do in his own career because he had better-quality backup.

If he's going to rant at anybody, it should be Ole for his decision to play the stars in the Norwich and Chelsea cup games. But no, it's all the players' fault.

The way he talks you'd think he'd not even played Sunday league football, let alone 600 games at the top level.
thats basically 90% of football pundits. The calm measured ones like Fletcher or Hasselbank don't really appeal to the suits. Like most media now it's all about interactions(likes,clicks,shares)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If I throw a ball at a basketball player, his first instinct will be to catch it. If I do the same thing to a footballer, it will be to trap it on his foot/chest/head (depending on how high it is).

If a football player can't control his body to be able to avoid giving away a handball, he shouldn't be playing.

In the case of Pogba, he obviously can control himself. He had the time to duck, but lost concentration and moved his hands to handle the ball instead. That's on him.
I think you’re agreeing with me there

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I am okay with criticism any player gets but the way Gary targets Martial and Pogba, its beyond that. I wont say its racism as Rashford gets away with it but it is certainly favoritism towards British Players. The way he spoke about Pogba felt as if he was bitter and disgruntled old man. He was one of my favourite player and will always be but i simply cant stand his opinions in general. He should refrain from commentating on United matches

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I am okay with criticism any player gets but the way Gary targets Martial and Pogba, its beyond that. I wont say its racism as Rashford gets away with it but it is certainly favoritism towards British Players. The way he spoke about Pogba felt as if he was bitter and disgruntled old man. He was one of my favourite player and will always be but i simply cant stand his opinions in general. He should refrain from commentating on United matches
:rolleyes: why mention it then. This place is joke sometimes. God forbid an absolute club legend has his piss boiled by someone who appears so nonplussed and laxidazy in the field but has obvious world class quality. Neville even says this!!! But nope, must be racism or not.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So, the general consensus here seems to be that he did it deliberately. Correct?
There’s doing it deliberately like a keepers save (it wasn’t) or by being a bit of a shit arse And not taking it in the face (harsh).

I think he just shit himself and didn’t want to get hurt

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
:rolleyes: why mention it then. This place is joke sometimes. God forbid an absolute club legend has his piss boiled by someone who appears so nonplussed and laxidazy in the field but has obvious world class quality. Neville even says this!!! But nope, must be racism or not.
Because i want to say that? Isnt that the point of forum? He is biased but not racist because Rashford got away with much worse performance. Gary is biased against Pogba and Martial. Need i remind you what he tweeted about Pogba when Mourinho was fired? Or how Martial gets the stick always despite having a better season than his favorite Rashford?

Being club legend doesn't mean i should agree with everything he says.

Edit : Nothing against Rashford. Just took as him as one of the example because a lot of other criticism Pogba gets is definitely racially motivated. Gary isnt, so made a distinction.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because i want to say that? Isnt that the point of forum? He is biased but not racist because Rashford got away with much worse performance. Gary is biased against Pogba and Martial. Need i remind you what he tweeted about Pogba when Mourinho was fired? Or how Martial gets the stick always despite having a better season than his favorite Rashford?

Edit : Nothing against Rashford. Just took as him as one of the example because a lot of other criticism Pogba gets is definitely racially motivated. Gary isnt, so made a distinction.
I would say he’s racist but he’s not just seems like such a pointless sentence.
Disagree with him all you like

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It can be controlled though. Take a look at it again. What was Pogba doing before the freekick was being taken?

The answer is: Looking away and not paying attention. When the freekick was being taken he wasnt ready therefore an instinct reaction instead of movingaway/being ready to head the ball away
That’s not controlling the reflex though. That’s being sensible to not be in a position of shock when the ball comes your way. I absolutely don’t dispute your point and it’s a good one. I don’t think I’ve said Pogba has NO blame. I was more just arguing with the people on here who clearly don’t understand what a reflex is.

Andersonson

That’s not controlling the reflex though. That’s being sensible to not be in a position of shock when the ball comes your way. I absolutely don’t dispute your point and it’s a good one. I don’t think I’ve said Pogba has NO blame. I was more just arguing with the people on here who clearly don’t understand what a reflex is.
Thats fair

Al Capone

If you watch the replays Lindelof I think it is behind Pogba who is also taking some kind of evasive action. Obviously pogba done wrong but our centre half seemingly had similar thoughts.

Monkey bus

The problem with Gary Neville commentating on United is that he’s a fan and can’t separate the job from his love of United. At times last night at 0-0, when West Ham were applying a bit of pressure, Gary came across nervous just like any fan would be in a big game.

His United commentary is often similar to listening to one of your mates who who has a particular dislike for certain players and a love of others and you get the biased view of the game because of this. Which can be pretty annoying.

I’d rather not see him commentating on live United games. I’d have him in the studio to assess at half time or full time where he’d be a bit more balanced and have other opinions to take on board.

And yes Pogba was stupid last night. Another 2 points dropped from a mistake that one of our senior professionals shouldn’t be making. Neville’s reaction reinforces my opinion on the fan thing.

lsd

The Oracle
If you watch the replays Lindelof I think it is behind Pogba who is also taking some kind of evasive action. Obviously pogba done wrong but our centre half seemingly had similar thoughts.

They all were as it is a reflex whether people here want to believe it or not

Al Capone

They all were as it is a reflex whether people here want to believe it or not
Exactly my point too. At some point or other every player makes a mistake but poggers seems to get in in the neck more so than others. He'l just go score against Leicester and then shut the haters up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was darn annoying, and there was us originally thinking he'd taken a massive welly to the face and got up heroically :)

You have to laugh at his sheepish look when VAR were examining it! He knew. We all knew!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You are allowed to criticise a black footballer for his football performance if it is valid.

This shouldn't be lost, and racism shouldn't even be mentioned as a reason for a player being criticised if there is no basis to it. It clouds actual racism.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It was darn annoying, and there was us originally thinking he'd taken a massive welly to the face and got up heroically :)

You have to laugh at his sheepish look when VAR were examining it! He knew. We all knew!
When Neville was saying he’s pretending it his is face I couldn’t quite see what was going on. When watching it back earlier he did instantly get up sheepishly :lol: . We all knew, ha

arnie_ni

The level of patience you have to have on this forum is ridiculous. No one was called a racist :rolleyes:

Think you should move on too.
Move on? Ive just jumped in to the most recent page and seen that post.

It seemed to go along the lines of someone mentioning or hinting at him being racist and another called it out, you called that poster out

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

what is Gary Neville bitter about? He strikes me as a man who has lived an amazing life experience and is very content!

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Can you prove beyond mind reading any of this is racial?

Jonno

Jesus. Some people are so obsessed with being right, they try and turn anything to their agenda. Pathetic
What's my agenda?

I like Pogba, I think he's one of the best midfielders in world football, and I hope he signs a contract. However, he handballed it in the penalty area instead of taking it in the face. It's a penalty all day long and it was Pogbas fault. I was annoyed as soon as I saw it, weren't you? Have you ever played football? I've been taught to take one for the team whenever this scenario happens. It's taught from grass roots upwards.

Please, do tell me what my agenda is, you clearly know me so well?

Last edited:

Jonno

You do know that Neville more than likely knows a shedload more than any of us on a Man United forum about the goings on at the club he's spent pretty much all his life at, right? He probably has about 30+ "in the knows" telling him exactly whats going right and whats going wrong at the club he's supported all his life, and given his whole playing career to, right?

You clearly have selective hearing when it comes to Martial, Neville has heaped the praise on Martial since he's improved this season, saying hes a man transformed, saying he's a changed player, saying he looks happy, he loves playing with Rashford, loves passing and shooting, etc etc etc. Clearly you're missing all of that. How you've even brought the word racist into it is beyond me.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What's my agenda?

I like Pogba, I think he's one of the best midfielders in world football, and I hope he signs a contract. However, he handballed it in the penalty area instead of taking it in the face. It's a penalty all day long and it was Pogbas fault. I was annoyed as soon as I saw it, weren't you? Have you ever played football? I've been taught to take one for the team whenever this scenario happens. It's taught from grass roots upwards.

Please, do tell me what my agenda is, you clearly know me so well?
The need to be right.

None of the rest has any relevance. You can’t be taught how to reflex react and you can’t defy human nature. You can be told what to do or what not to do....you can raise your own awareness etc but in the split second None of those, particularly being told, will have any affect on your reaction because what you’re talking about is rational thought not instinctive reaction and in fact all the players around reacted instinctively.

You somehow tried to turn that into me proving that Pogba made a decision. It was an absolutely pathetic response to my post.

MalcolmTucker

I was as annoyed as Neville about the Pogba handball.

What annoyed me more was him saying how dominant he said West Ham were at the end of the first half which was absolute bollocks.

Jonno

The need to be right.

None of the rest has any relevance. You can’t be taught how to reflex react and you can’t defy human nature. You can be told what to do or what not to do....you can raise your own awareness etc but in the split second None of those, particularly being told, will have any affect on your reaction because what you’re talking about is rational thought not instinctive reaction and in fact all the players around reacted instinctively.

You somehow tried to turn that into me proving that Pogba made a decision. It was an absolutely pathetic response to my post.
Eh? You tried to prove that Pogba had no control over his body, despite myself being in that situation probably 20 times at amateur football, so I actually have something to back my point up. You have nothing to back your point up other than a guess.

Why would he apologise to his teammates at half time? "sorry I had no control over my body" ....... come off it. Stop protecting him to suit your agenda.

You're ignoring that many former pros who have played the game have said it was silly to give away a penalty when he could have taken one in the face.

Yet your need to be right has caused you to drive your agenda, excusing him because you "think" he has no time to react.

It's subjective. Lets agree to disagree.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Eh? You tried to prove that Pogba had no control over his body, despite myself being in that situation probably 20 times at amateur football, so I actually have something to back my point up. You have nothing to back your point up other than a guess.

Why would he apologise to his teammates at half time? "sorry I had no control over my body" ....... come off it. Stop protecting him to suit your agenda.

You're ignoring that many former pros who have played the game have said it was silly to give away a penalty when he could have taken one in the face.

Yet your need to be right has caused you to drive your agenda, excusing him because you "think" he has no time to react.

It's subjective. Lets agree to disagree.
Of course he apologised, his reaction was silly and it cost us a goal. No one is suggesting otherwise. It was however a reaction and research suggests people react to danger or perceived threat in different ways. Of course you don’t have control when you react, unless you have enough time in the secondary phase for rational thought to intervene. Our emotional response is our first response it’s a survival instinct, as a result, your body automatically reacts with the fight-flight-freeze response to keep you safe.

What you’re suggesting is only your own reaction, physiology determines there to be three varying types of response to threat which depend on the individual but cannot be controlled and are not in fact decisions, rather they are responses.

That you have been in that situation 20 times only proves your own response mechanisms, it proves nothing for Pogba or millions of other people who react differently.

Also he only had time to react....hence the handball....It would’ve been better if he had no time to react.

I have psychology, knowledge and education to back up my point. You have nothing but your own experience and ignorance.

Agree to disagree all you like or educate yourself better.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
thats basically 90% of football pundits. The calm measured ones like Fletcher or Hasselbank don't really appeal to the suits. Like most media now it's all about interactions(likes,clicks,shares)
This is the worst part. The media feeds us what we don’t want, but all we do is show them we’ll consume negativity more than neutrality.

I think it was Ricky Gervais that ran some Twitter experiments, offering to donate thousands to Charity if not a single person liked or favourited his tweet. You can successfully guess that no money was given to charity.

We know what’s good and bad for us, but we still act like cnuts.