Gary Neville

fps

I get that he cost us points but you’re missing the point. You’re absolutely right that all of those things are valid, possible alternatives. But when you say “he could have” - this is the bit that’s missing the point. His reaction to put his hands up was a reflex. I don’t think I need to tell you what a reflex is but you don’t control reflexes. Sure, could he train himself so that in future his natural reaction is different and he doesn’t stick his hands up? Sure. And yeah you could even say he should have trained himself or built up balls for it already. Valid points. But any inclination that he made an active choice to put his hands there is fundamentally wrong.
He put his hands up because he hadn’t been paying attention to the shot, because he didn’t think it was going near him. If he’d been properly switched on as he should have been, there was no issue with getting out of the way or grazing the ball off his head and away for a corner or similar.

His head is actually pretty much out of the way of the ball when the hands go up anyway. It was pathetic, and if he’s honed his instincts so when a ball comes at him his automatic reaction is to put his hands up - instincts are honed patterns of response - then heaven help us.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It was an instant reaction and an incorrect one. Gary just used this opportunity to air his already framed opinion of Pogba. You people need to give it a rest. Mistakes happen in a football game. Pogba doesn't need to be fearless Viking warrior.

Dante

Average bang
It was an instant reaction and an incorrect one. Gary just used this opportunity to air his already framed opinion of Pogba. You people need to give it a rest. Mistakes happen in a football game. Pogba doesn't need to be fearless Viking warrior.
Neville said no different.

Neville spent the entire game wanking over how talented Pogba was, and about how we wanted to see him play further up the pitch.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Was near his worst first half on commentary at Leicester. You’d think we needed to win by two goals like at PSG by the way he was on at the players. I thought we grew into the game and didn’t want half time to come.

Dante

Average bang
He spent the entire game shitting on Bruno and praising Pogba. Proved a lot of posters in here wrong.

lsd

The Oracle
He spent the entire game shitting on Bruno and praising Pogba. Proved a lot of posters in here wrong.

Or he knows what a prick he sounded last time as it was all over social media and Evra called him on it which explains why he also made a point of criticising Rashford early on

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This guy has gone on about how Greenwood will displace Martial in 12-18 top. It's incredible to me how Martial's talent seem to be underestimated, especially by your British pundits. Martial being 24 means he'll only improve from this point on, especially with him now being settled for the first time since his first season.

Somehow feels like some people forget that Martial at 10 was the best player of his age group and won the golden ball, and his potential was seen as ridiculously massive but unfortunately for him he ended up playing under Mourinho for 3 years thus essentially wasting 3 years of his career. With Ole he finally has the chance once again to fulfill his potential which if done, Greenwood isn't going to displace him. The guy is heading toward his prime in the next 2-3 years.

Neville loves talking nonsense and his English bias is downright annoying.

Dante

Average bang
Or he knows what a prick he sounded last time as it was all over social media and Evra called him on it which explains why he also made a point of criticising Rashford early on
He's criticised Rashford loads this season.

Your bias means you ignore the things that disprove your prejudices, but amplify the things that coincide with your prejudices.

If you leave your assumptions at the door, you'll hear that Neville is consistent in giving people a fair shake.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's criticised Rashford loads this season.

Your bias means you ignore the things that disprove your prejudices, but amplify the things that coincide with your prejudices.

If you leave your assumptions at the door, you'll hear that Neville is consistent in giving people a fair shake.
It’s absolutely wild the amount of shit people will just ignore of what Neville says.

I’ve learned there is basically just no point believing any of the criticisms he gets in here as the majority just aren’t true. I’ve watched him criticizing Woodward and the board and call out Ole’s lack of any game plan. Then came in here to see people bitching about how he never calls out the board. Or is best mates with Ole and will never criticize him. It’s clear some people are just incapable of basic listening comprehension or they just refuse to listen to what they don’t wanna hear.

Jibbs

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...-Jadon-Sancho-Anthony-Martial-Mason-Greenwood

Why the hell this guy continue to utter nonsense. Martial is our most prolific player this season. He has most goals, assists and penalties won of all players. Why should he would make way for Sancho, Greenwood or anyone else? If anyone it would be Rashford whose position should be under threat going by the current form.
And more importantly with Sancho we will have more option up front and we can rotate our attacking options.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...-Jadon-Sancho-Anthony-Martial-Mason-Greenwood

Why the hell this guy continue to utter nonsense. Martial is our most prolific player this season. He has most goals, assists and penalties won of all players. Why should he would make way for Sancho or anyone else? If anything it would be Rashford whose position should be under threat going by the current form.
And more importantly with Sancho we will have more option up front and we can rotate our attacking options.
Neville always has his English agenda on. Out of Sancho, Mason, Rashford and Martial, the latter is the non English one. Gary wants his English front 3. He's simply a clown. Doesn't matter what some players do. He'll always have his agendas against them.

Gary want to talk about how long it's taken for Martial to perform while Greenwood is doing it in his first season when in truth Martial perform better than Greenwood in his first season. It's taken him this long to perform again because he wasted 3 years under Mourinho. Also saying that Greenwood has shown to be a better Cf than Martial is the sort of nonsense I'd expect from Neville when he talks about when his compares an English player to another one from another country. not even surprised by his delusion.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Neville always has his English agenda on. Out of Sancho, Mason, Rashford and Martial, the latter is the non English one. Gary wants his English front 3. He's simply a clown. Doesn't matter what some players do. He'll always have his agendas against them.

Gary want to talk about how long it's taken for Martial to perform while Greenwood is doing it in his first season when in truth Martial perform better than Greenwood in his first season. It's taken him this long to perform again because he wasted 3 years under Mourinho. Also saying that Greenwood has shown to be a better Cf than Martial is the sort of nonsense I'd expect from Neville when he talks about when his compares an English player to another one from another country. not even surprised by his delusion.
Let’s say Greenwood continues his form of this season into next. And also that Sancho continues his Dortmund form. Let’s say we make it into CL 1/4 final. Who is the front 3?

I don’t think there is anything that controversial or biased in Nevilles assessment. Everything he says is correct. Martial will still get loads and loads of games and their is plenty of space for him. But for the massive games, the best 3 from 4 will get picked.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Waiting for Neville to make another dumb prediction about league position next year. I still remember his claim about us winning the league before Liverpool at the start of this season.

Tyrion

Was near his worst first half on commentary at Leicester. You’d think we needed to win by two goals like at PSG by the way he was on at the players. I thought we grew into the game and didn’t want half time to come.
Agreed. If I didn't know better, I'd think that united needed a win and Leicester would get top 4 with a draw based on what they were saying.

Becks00

Let’s say Greenwood continues his form of this season into next. And also that Sancho continues his Dortmund form.

Let’s say we make it into CL 1/4 final. Who is the front 3?

I don’t think there is anything that controversial or biased in Nevilles assessment. Everything he says is correct.

Martial will still get loads and loads of games and their is plenty of space for him. But for the massive games, the best 3 from 4 will get picked.
So who would you say are the best three you'd pick

criticalanalysis

Let’s say Greenwood continues his form of this season into next. And also that Sancho continues his Dortmund form. Let’s say we make it into CL 1/4 final. Who is the front 3?

I don’t think there is anything that controversial or biased in Nevilles assessment. Everything he says is correct. Martial will still get loads and loads of games and their is plenty of space for him. But for the massive games, the best 3 from 4 will get picked.
The massive glaring context here is, who is going be playing as the centre forward? Rashford, who's found his monster form pre-injury and plays better on the left? A 19 year old Greenwood, who's basically played practical 0 games at CF for us and where most of his game and impact is when he pops up around the edge of the box and not the centre of attention? Sancho, who is a winger?

Unless Ole is going to start coaching Guardiola level tactics in the team and plays a dominant, all encompassing team with a fluid front three, there's zero indication shown thus far that Martial would not be playing at CF if not fit.

I'm not saying that's a neccessarily a good thing because it's worrying we don't have better tactics/coaching and adequate backup but Neville's comments are just hyperbole at this moment and completely unrealistic.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Martial has been our best striker this season, If Sancho came he will probably replace either Greenwood or Rashford.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Martial is our best CF, none of Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho can play that role as good as Martial can.

Also if we make CL quarter final, front 3 would be based on the form and how much other players played in the week before the CL game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is English and we are English club with tradition of playing home grown players so i understand that Gary is biased regarding that topic but man, he went too far. His English agenda is on the same level as Souness agenda about Pogba.

In Rainbows

I'm pretty much in agreement with you in that Martial will be our starting #9 for the next few years, but it's important to realize that this was Greenwood's age 17 to 18 season. Martial's first season was his age 19 to 20 season. So in order for Greenwood to be Martial's age (debut season), you would have to compare Greenwood's 2021/2022 season. No, not next season. The season after next season.

It is very rare for a 17/18 year old to score 17 goals in a top 5 league. I can't remember many that have done it at that age.

E-mal

What's your point mister? Currently in any best front 3 , Martial plays.
In fact it is inconceivable that Greenwood will be able to do what Martial does for us in CF.
Gary Neville and alot of the deluded English pundits have disrespect for what Martial does for this team.
Greenwood will grow and become better as a player but playing as a regular centre forward might be at least when he is 22. His major issue is his pace, as it is easy for defenders to catch up with him in a foot race even though he is no sludge.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
What's your point mister? Currently in any best front 3 , Martial plays.
In fact if is inconceivable that Greenwood will be able to do what Martial does for us in CF.
gary Neville and alot of the deluded English pundits have disrespect for what Martial does for this team.
Greenwood will grow and become better as a player but playing as a regular centre forward might be at least when he is 22. His major issue is his pace, as it is easy for defenders to catch up with him in a foot race.
There was a recent test of pace amongst United players and Greenwood came out on top amongst the attackers at least. Can't remember who mentioned it.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

If we're going off form, it would be Sancho, Greenwood and Martial.

That's also assuming we're simply picking 3 names from 4 without considering position. Martial is the only one that has really proved himself in the CF position.

E-mal

There was a recent test of pace amongst United players and Greenwood came out on top amongst the attackers at least. Can't remember who mentioned it.
Forget about all those stuff, he isn't as quick as Martial, speak less of Rashford and James.
Those are just talk, we have seen this season where he had to break it to pick a pass and has failed to take his man for pace. He is more of an accomplished deft touch kind of player. He is as quick as a RVN or say RVP.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Out of those 4, who are the best 3? Would you leave Martial out of the best 3?

georgipep

Forget about all those stuff, he isn't as quick as Martial, speak less of Rashford and James.
Those are just talk, we have seen this season where he had to break it to pick a pass and has failed to take his man for pace. He is more of an accomplished deft touch kind of player. He is as quick as a RVN or say RVP.
He has, literally, been the quickest on the pitch in a recent game, compared to both Rashford and Martial (2nd and 3rd respectively).

pav1790

Greenwood is not a CF yet. He’s much better off coming from wide areas and getting minutes at CF in cups to learn the trade at highest level before he can start matches over Martial.

Greenwood is a great talent and he can be whatever he wants to be. But martial is a increasingly looking like a finished product that we were missing.

Even on current form, Martial is ahead of greenwood on mere statistics. Mason has 22 g+a in 2412 minutes in all first team appearances. Martial has 33 g+a in 3350. Mason averages a goal contribution per 109 minutes. Martial averages a goal contribution per 101 minutes.

We don’t need to burn Greenwood out because we have Martial. Let him take the pressure, he’s learned it. Let greenwood progress at his own pace. We need to see what he does for one more season before having this discussion.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Sounds like he’s voicing fans’ opinions here..

And here..

But I’m glad he’s saying these things out loud so that our owners are reminded again what the general consensus is out there.

UncleBob

The quote is taken out of context:

So, you have to be sensible. If the deals aren't there to do, you don't do them, but there's definitely that tension building, particularly on social media. Why has Jadon Sancho not signed? Why have we not got Thiago Alcantara? Why haven't we got whoever it might be that's gone to another club?

pascell

So, you have to be sensible. If the deals aren't there to do, you don't do them, but there's definitely that tension building, particularly on social media. Why has Jadon Sancho not signed? Why have we not got Thiago Alcantara? Why haven't we got whoever it might be that's gone to another club?
What he's basically saying is that fans want the club to build on the progress and momentum achieved from our top 3 finish and for the board to do so by backing the manager in the transfer market.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

And here..

But I’m glad he’s saying these things out loud so that our owners are reminded again what the general consensus is out there.

Yeah it sounds to me that in the right context he is saying the tension in the fanbase has built the longer we have gone without making a signing, and rightly so given it's clear as day we need additions to the squad if we are to progress, but that fans he speaks too (i.e. rational fans) are not whining for any and al players but they want the right players to be identified and signed. Also what he may have mentioned elsewhere is the aspiration for us to move players on with no future here for the best fees possible, something we have failed to do time and again.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
I agree with Neville.

Bit confused with him saying "another midfield player" - Unless he means van de Beek.

But CB is needed. Lindelof isn't good enough to title challenge with as a starting regular CB imo.
LB - Shaw needs competition. I'd move Williams permanently to RB to challenge AWB.
We need 2 more bodies in that front 3, James, Mata and Ighalo simply isn't good enough backup. And Greenwood can't start all 40+ games yet.

I feel like the Ighalo sticky tape will remain in place until February. But then we will need to sign another forward before he leaves.

El Zoido

And here..

Let’s wait until the window is closed?

I think we need to be mindful that we’re perhaps not quite as cash rich as fans think we are. We have to negotiate and strive for the best deal.

Dante

Average bang
Neville spot on, as usual.

He stops just short of calling the media racist. But you can tell he wants to call the Sun out on it.

It'd be very much in keeping with his own anti-racist stance if he did. If this carries on with Greenwood, Neville probably will say something a bit harsher.