Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Yeah, just feck off Gary, would you, wonder if you have not forgotten about one certain guy that made you a champion multiple times even if you were quite an average player
Greatest manager of all time my arse. He's had some of the best teams in Europe over the last 9 years and hasn't even sniffed a CL final.

Red Star One

Greatest manager of all time my arse. He's had some of the best teams in Europe over the last 9 years and hasn't even sniffed a CL final.
Gary doing the usual Sky puppet, nothing new, it’s just a bit embarrassing he’d forget about a manager that made him a superstar and without whom there’s no way anyone would care what Neville has to say

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Yeah, just feck off Gary, would you, wonder if you have not forgotten about one certain guy that made you a champion multiple times even if you were quite an average player
He just won the League Cup against an (almost) managerless Spurs. It wasn't exactly a difficult ask.

He must have forgotten that they were dumped out of the FA Cup only last week.

ShinjiNinja26

Feck off Neville! You’ve forgotten where you came from and who made you. Seems all the plaudits he received for standing up against the big bad ESL has went to his head, he’s lost the plot.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Gary Neville varies from refreshing to embarrassing with increasing regularity.

Chairman Steve

I think he is very self-conscious about not appearing to have Utd red rose-tinted glasses to appease the neutral and rival fans. Him commentating on Utd matches can be annoying at times. He’ll rubbish Utd for the smallest of things.

Red00012

Get knocked out of a proper cup competition last Saturday and wins a competition no one really cares about the following week . Greatest ever says Gary. Right

RedDevil@84

Sky: Hi Gary. Here is your script for today. We are calling Pep the bestest of the bestest.

Gary: Huh? Is this like last year when you asked me to tell Liverpool are the bestest ever?

Sky: Yes, that is our new narrative.

Gary: Whatever. One of these days, I want a raise.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The least talented of the class of 92 (well apart from his brother) but with the biggest mouth. Was a good player for a few years, fair enough. And I don’t care what anyone says about how much he loves United, blah, blah.
He probably does, but his commentary is incredibly bias and he cares more about how he comes across than anything else.
Criticises anything United related (well unless he is talking about our English players) but gets credit from United fans because he is a true Red or whatever and hates Liverpool.
I have stopped taking him seriously long ago.

pablo__p

When in Rome...
He's in the world of media and as Sky employee his job is to attract attention - as proved by this quote - at any cost.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I can't decide, it's a tie!

Football League Cup: 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10
EFL Cup: 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20, 2020–21

stevoc

As suspected now that the SL is dead and his investment in Salford still has the chance to rake in millions if they ever get to the PL. His crusade against the imposters is over and he'll go back to gushing over City and their owners.

Tallis

No respect for the guy. Loves to take the moral high ground but then panders to the crowd at every opporitunity. Throughly fake.

croadyman

As suspected now that the SL is dead and his investment in Salford still has the chance to rake in millions if they ever get to the PL. His crusade against the imposters is over and he'll go back to gushing over City and their owners.
Yeah where is his Glazers out stance like we saw from Wrighty in regards to Kroenke

stevoc

Yeah where is his Glazers out stance like we saw from Wrighty in regards to Kroenke
Yeah he'll go quiet again for a while now, unless he wants to have another moan about how the Glazers won't develop the land around his hotel.

mancsarered

They're going to win the league by (hopefully) single digit points over a totally average United team. Relax will you.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The man is clickbait personified.

A silly little stooge who will shout anything to please his Sky paymasters.
That's also my take on him. But smart people still think he's independent of Sky's interest. hmm..

Last edited:

Dansk

Honestly, while anyone would be a fool not to acknowledge the accomplishments of Pep Guardiola, I would like to see him work with anything less than the undisputably best squad in the league before I'm ready to call him the greatest manager of all time. His achievements in Europe are not exactly incredible, and domestically he has had by far the best squad in the land at his disposal for literally 100% of his career. For me to acknowledge that he might the best there ever was, he'll need to succeed against the odds, not just live up to what you'd already expect based on the caliber of the players he has had available to him. It just takes more than that.

If he could win the league with Tottenham or lead Sevilla to the CL trophy, I'd call him the greatest ever. If he could take over a team that usually finishes somewhere between 4th and 7th place, and elevate them to the point where they no longer even think about the chance of finishing outside the top 4, I'd be down. But thus far, he has really just managed to meet the expected standard of the squads he has had at his disposal. And you can easily argue that he hasn't even really done that at Bayern and City, where he has had no real success in Europe.

Sure, Pep's really good. The greatest ever? Not in my book. He hasn't proven that yet. You need to do more than he has done to earn that, as far as I'm concerned. He hasn't punched above his weight. Every single year of his managerial career, he has been working with the best squad in the country he was managing in; and he hasn't even really succeeded in the CL since he had the best-in-all-football-history Barcelona dream team to work with.

Without peak Messi and Iniesta at his disposal, he hasn't done more than I would expect of any competent manager. He has won a good deal of titles in Germany and England during a time when noone else was mounting a serious challenge. His Bayern team hardly had to struggle to win the Bundesliga, and throughout his tenure at City, all of the other big English clubs have been in a state of rebuilding or recent revival. He has not dominated the way Alex Ferguson did, or made diamonds out of coal like Brian Clough or Diego Simeone.

To be crowned the greatest manager of all time, you need to do more than climb into the fastest car in the race and drive it to an unsurprising victory. Next time he moves to a new club, I hope he chooses a challenge so that we can see if he's really got it in him. Until he does, I can't rank him at #1 when others have the same with less.