Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Amazing that Neville thought that flimsy excuse would pass. He’s obviously justified it to himself, the second realisation hit home was delicious. He looked a complete tool.
Aye. It looked like the first time the logic of his reasoning was tested. He gets a free pass when discussing it on Sky and no doubt it’s an echo chamber when he’s talked about it off set with his ex-pro mates.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Thought he did a good job in an uncomfortable setting for him. Always like seeing people try new things.

Qatar thing was funny mind he is in the wrong there, is anyone actually boycotting Qatar? Interesting to see if anyone does.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I don’t hate Neville, but it’s absolutely fair to call him out of the Qatar stuff… not because he’s a football guy accepting money to go to a football tournament (obviously) but because he’s specifically defended it by saying Qatar are no worse than Saudi or Abu Dhabi, did an Overlap with Beckham essentially promoting the place and failed to ask anything difficult when it was a big deal at the time, and most of all has hidden behind the idea that we need to speak out about Saudi/City more if we’re going to be consistent (which is true) whilst absolutely failing to do so himself the many times he’s had the chance. In fact he’s regularly defended City’s owners against FFP and praised their development, and when the Saudi’s took over Newcastle he played down the idea of sportswashing and said it was a good thing ‘cos they’d be forced to change!

So the erstwhile “we need to be consistent” comes across as hugely disingenuous self interest, whilst cloaking himself in righteousness. Which tends to piss people off

Smores

He rightly got caught out there but that's the show and he'll have expected it really.

Neville not going changes feck all really so I don't blame him. He wants to be part of sporting history commenting on the world cup and they'd only replace him with someone less likely to talk out.

Sweet Square

Hislop is right but there is something gross about how that show acts as a right of passage for when people do shitty unethical things.

It’s like we’ve all somehow accepted that if Gary is going to take money from dictatorships then he’s at least got to feel uncomfortable while getting some mildly criticism from an tired old satirist and then forced listen to an hour of “comedy” from Paul Merton.

All very meaningless.

Flexdegea

Seems totally daft Gary with his views and labour membership, who clearly wanting to take a run at it, would go to Qatar, and then go on to present have I got news for you.

Surely he knows this is a massive flaw against him that can be used against him. I highly doubt he needs the money, or maybe the losses over covid with the hotel etc has maybe forced him to turn a blind eye to it all.

Just seems a strange stance to take.

He should pull out.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I like gnev but politically he has just became a jumped up sixth former who based his ideas on Twitter likes emboldened by his popularity from football. He needed that assassination hopefully he gets a better grip on reality now

Manncunian

He rightly got caught out there but that's the show and he'll have expected it really.

Neville not going changes feck all really so I don't blame him. He wants to be part of sporting history commenting on the world cup and they'd only replace him with someone less likely to talk out.
Then commentate for ITV or BBC. Or any non Qatari organisation.

But instead he’s chosen beIN, a Qatari media group. That’s where the hypocrisy lies, and the warranted criticism that’s come with it.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Gary is politically naive but media savvy. Hypocrisy and flip flopping are not punished, it's the inflexibility of integrity and principles that will kill a political career. I genuinely think he is a good bloke but that he thinks there is some sort of benevolent capitalism that is possible. After all, money is what made the world he lives in, so it's no surprise that personal experience will play a part. He'll be an MP yet.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Gary is politically naive but media savvy. Hypocrisy and flip flopping are not punished, it's the inflexibility of integrity and principles that will kill a political career. I genuinely think he is a good bloke but that he thinks there is some sort of benevolent capitalism that is possible. After all, money is what made the world he lives in, so it's no surprise that personal experience will play a part. He'll be an MP yet.
An MP or Andy Burnham's successor when Andy decides he's up for a Westminster return.

I don't even think it's as complicated as what you are describing. Unless it's something that directly affects us, most of us will compromise when it's made worth our while.

Gary's probably just been made an offer that's too good to refuse. I am sure that Gary would say human rights are important to him, like most people. However, also like most people in Britain, what the Qataris are doing/have done probably hasn't touched anyone he knows personally. This stuff always hits different when it affects you personally than when it doesn't.

To be fair to Gary, none of us are protesting against buying Qatari gas this winter cos we object to how Qatar's government runs things. We put our bills first. Gary is just doing that on a bigger scale.

PS) Not saying it's right. Not trying to defend it. Just being realistic about how things work.

Someone

Something
Gary knows what he's doing but this time he won't be able to talk his way out of it. His Overlap in Qatar was purely to make them look better, and following that they offered him to cover the WC for BeinSports.

The fact of the matter is, integrity comes at a cost that not everyone is willing to pay. Neville is looking after himself like most politicians in the world. He just needs to stop pretending.

Deery

Dreary
Wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls out of the Qatar deal now.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
An MP or Andy Burnham's successor when Andy decides he's up for a Westminster return.

I don't even think it's as complicated as what you are describing. Unless it's something that directly affects us, most of us will compromise when it's made worth our while.

Gary's probably just been made an offer that's too good to refuse. I am sure that Gary would say human rights are important to him, like most people. However, also like most people in Britain, what the Qataris are doing/have done probably hasn't touched anyone he knows personally. This stuff always hits different when it affects you personally than when it doesn't.

To be fair to Gary, none of us are protesting against buying Qatari gas this winter cos we object to how Qatar's government runs things. We put our bills first. Gary is just doing that on a bigger scale.

PS) Not saying it's right. Not trying to defend it. Just being realistic about how things work.
Ah I know how things work, Gary is slightly different because he pays lip service to social justice. Beckham is getting less guff because he's being fully on brand, he is what he is, a self and fame obsessed whore. Gary opens himself up to criticism because he's a self styled man of the people.

Smores

Then commentate for ITV or BBC. Or any non Qatari organisation.

But instead he’s chosen beIN, a Qatari media group. That’s where the hypocrisy lies, and the warranted criticism that’s come with it.
No point any of us guessing if he had that choice or his preferences. He might not contractually be allowed to go to another domestic organisation.

If he does facilitate their sports washing without comment ill judge him but no more than the players also going. Klopp is right in that those to blame are the ones selecting the host, others can't be expected to take the flak for it. Not like we all boycott all the bad regimes in the world.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ah I know how things work, Gary is slightly different because he pays lip service to social justice. Beckham is getting less guff because he's being fully on brand, he is what he is, a self and fame obsessed whore. Gary opens himself up to criticism because he's a self styled man of the people.
That's a fair point. If you hold yourself up as something people will hold you to that.

Deery

Dreary
No point any of us guessing if he had that choice or his preferences. He might not contractually be allowed to go to another domestic organisation.

If he does facilitate their sports washing without comment ill judge him but no more than the players also going. Klopp is right in that those to blame are the ones selecting the host, others can't be expected to take the flak for it. Not like we all boycott all the bad regimes in the world.
He’s commentated on ITV several times for major competitions and is working for them this competition as well but also BEIN.

Deery

Dreary
He must be getting paid a hell of a lot to give up his integrity like that, I’d say he’s getting at least £5m..

arnie_ni

I don’t hate Neville, but it’s absolutely fair to call him out of the Qatar stuff… not because he’s a football guy accepting money to go to a football tournament (obviously) but because he’s specifically defended it by saying Qatar are no worse than Saudi or Abu Dhabi, did an Overlap with Beckham essentially promoting the place and failed to ask anything difficult when it was a big deal at the time, and most of all has hidden behind the idea that we need to speak out about Saudi/City more if we’re going to be consistent (which is true) whilst absolutely failing to do so himself the many times he’s had the chance. In fact he’s regularly defended City’s owners against FFP and praised their development, and when the Saudi’s took over Newcastle he played down the idea of sportswashing and said it was a good thing ‘cos they’d be forced to change!

So the erstwhile “we need to be consistent” comes across as hugely disingenuous self interest, whilst cloaking himself in righteousness. Which tends to piss people off
I actually think he believes that uno.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Are the BBC not going to the world cup? Not showing the games? If Hislop and the rest feel so strongly against it why are they still working for an organisation that is supporting the event?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Are the BBC not going to the world cup? Not showing the games? If Hislop and the rest feel so strongly against it why are they still working for an organisation that is supporting the event?
Getting tenuous now. As the BBC is licence funded, can people with a TV not voice their feelings on Qatar either?

This is the same logic that mocks people who use shops for expressing an anti capitalist stance .

FujiVice

BBC is publicly funded. They are given a platform to be fair in regards to criticisim, and that includes the BBC when they are wrapped up in scandal (Savile for example.) Its a show doing what Neville claims to do. Highlighting issues.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Getting tenuous now. As the BBC is licence funded, can people with a TV not voice their feelings on Qatar either?

This is the same logic that mocks people who use shops for expressing an anti capitalist stance .
Is it tenuous? The BBC doesn't have to be there, they've chosen to be and no doubt licence payer money is going from the BBC to Qatar. Could licence payers not have encouraged the BBC and ITV to pull out by giving up TV (and TV licence) for a year in their droves?

Last edited:

Trequarista10

Is it tenuous? The BBC doesn't have to be there, theyve chosen to be and no doubt licence payer money is going from the BBC to Qatar. Could licence payers not have encouraged the BBC and ITV to pull out by giving up TV (and TV licence) for a year in their droves?
I think this in a roundabout way links to my general opinion. A boycott doesn't work unless it's done in mass. Players will go because their team is going, teams will go because other teams are going, media will go because other broadcasters are going, and fans/public will want to watch. A few fans giving up their TV license wouldn't be effective (would probably rile up more folks who would be angry at being unable to watch). One player, one team or one media organisation not going doesn't really work. Nor would 10, 20 or 40% even. The only effective boycott would have been to pressure FIFA to not hold it there in the first place. And for that to have been successful it wouldn't be a case of a few countries, a handful of players and pundits, and a media organisation or two, it would have needed united opposition from multiple FAs, continental associations and perhaps governments as well.

In terms of individuals going I kind of get Neville's viewpoint. If he didn't go, somebody else would. If he does go and openly and honestly criticise the country then fair play to him, but I would be surprised. Personally I think he shouldn't go and I wouldn't in his situation but ultimately it won't make a difference except to his own reputation. I think his only chance to save face is to reveal his fee and donate it to charity.

Marwood

expect he'll show himself in a better light in his inevitable Question Time appearance
The more he goes into this world the more he's going to meet people with a brain or folk who aren't football fans.

It'll get much trickier for him I think.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Is it tenuous? The BBC doesn't have to be there, they've chosen to be and no doubt licence payer money is going from the BBC to Qatar. Could licence payers not have encouraged the BBC and ITV to pull out by giving up TV (and TV licence) for a year in their droves?
The BBC in my opinion should boycott it. But there's a big leap to all of their employees quitting if they want to criticise Qatar.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think this in a roundabout way links to my general opinion. A boycott doesn't work unless it's done in mass. Players will go because their team is going, teams will go because other teams are going, media will go because other broadcasters are going, and fans/public will want to watch. A few fans giving up their TV license wouldn't be effective (would probably rile up more folks who would be angry at being unable to watch). One player, one team or one media organisation not going doesn't really work. Nor would 10, 20 or 40% even. The only effective boycott would have been to pressure FIFA to not hold it there in the first place. And for that to have been successful it wouldn't be a case of a few countries, a handful of players and pundits, and a media organisation or two, it would have needed united opposition from multiple FAs, continental associations and perhaps governments as well.

In terms of individuals going I kind of get Neville's viewpoint. If he didn't go, somebody else would. If he does go and openly and honestly criticise the country then fair play to him, but I would be surprised. Personally I think he shouldn't go and I wouldn't in his situation but ultimately it won't make a difference except to his own reputation. I think his only chance to save face is to reveal his fee and donate it to charity.
If by work you mean fix, then yes of course. But there is a sliding scale of effect.

Progress is a constant slow struggle.

Sweet Square

Because Hislop doesn’t want to quit a well paid easy job and the BBC don’t want to lose viewers to another network.

Last night panel shite was all about going through the motions and making people get that nice quick dopamine hit.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
I’m pretty sure the BBC are actually obliged to show the World Cup under the ‘Crown Jewels Code’ so it’s not really a case of “Hmm, we live in a society” bollocks tbf.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events
I think it can be shown by any broadcaster so long as it's free to air. The BBC won the rights to this one in 2014 so they already knew who the host was. The statement they released at the time was all about how delighted they were and not a whiff of trepidation about where it was being held.

Sweet Square

I think it can be shown by any broadcaster so long as it's free to air. The BBC won the rights to this one in 2014 so they already knew who the host was. The statement they released at the time was all about how delighted they were and not a whiff of trepidation about where it was being held.
"So we're thrilled to be able to look forward to bringing the next two World Cups free to air to viewers in 2018 and 2022."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/27750996.amp

Gary is still a cnut though.

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I don’t know how much of that is a formality and how much is a rigorous bidding process. I’d be interesting to see what happened if they DID refuse to show it though. Since ALL games have to be shown, could ITV manage that alone? Presumably they’d be forced to anyway? As the govt wouldn’t be able to force anyone else? Could they make C4 or C5?

Also what are we blaming Hislop for, exacly - not resigning from a light entertainment show in protest at the sports coverage? He can be a prick, but it’s hard to accuse a guy who literally does one TV gig outside of editing Private Eye for 35 years of being a sell out. Everyone’s a sell out. You’ve got to have degrees of this shit or we get nowhere with anything.

(*Plus HIGNFY is far more culpable for normalising Farage and Johnson than for anything their parent channel might do otherwise)

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Qatar bit starts from 17:15 if anyone interested. He had no answers. Got exposed and looked uncomfortable and embarrassed.
Well done to that guy for challenging him. He got exposed badly there. The notion of him mentioning the dead migrant workers during commentary is completely laughable.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Under normal circumstances he can make the argument he’s a commentator and wants to commentate at the pinnacle of the sport, but it’s different for Gary as he is a regular commentator on politics so it puts him in a sticky situation being silent on the political aspects of the Qatar wc.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Going out of his way to praise Nunez today, I feel.

Skills

Snitch
What was he thinking going on How I got News for you? He was obviously going to get destroyed