Gary Neville was dead to me | Reborn as a Dragon

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
So only people rich enough to own a house with a drive / enough money to buy an electric car should protest against oil . Maybe if we had good quality affordable public transport she could get by without a car.

People should only try to get the government to pay for insulation for the poorest in society if they can afford to have their own home well insulated ?.
The optics of someone of filming themself welling up and claiming their world is being destroyed because of oil, whilst driving a car that uses oil, is yes, rather hypocritical. There is a massive distinction between being environmentally conscious and concerned in the way we are reliant on fossil fuels and the former referenced.

You can raise awareness without going to the extreme lengths of severely disrupting members of the public trying to travel to work or go about their day. So yes, in these circumstances, people should definitely expect to be held to higher levels of scrutiny.

The same applies to Insulate Britain who adopted a similar approach. Although, since it was highlighted that the leader hadn’t actually insulated his own home, they appear to have become rather less conspicuous.

I am environmentally conscious. I volunteer when I can, including litter picking and previously, working on sustainable eco projects. I try to do my bit. I think that’s important. Yet, I would never claim to be a flag bearer or beyond reproach on my habits - far from it. But when someone puts themselves on a pedestal, then as we have seen, they’re liable to fall foul of critique - and rightly so.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Tbf Pamorama is rubbish but really the it’s just the overlap so don’t expect basic journalistic standards is a shite answer to criticism.
In case you havent noticed Gary Neville is a football pundit and not any kind of journalist, so I really have no idea what people are expecting from one 45mins episode of the Overlap, its entirely pointless to start listing all the things he didnt cover

In my opinion, he's already gone beyond his 'duty' by going out to Qatar and trying to highlight some of the issues with the World Cup - I dont see many others in the football community doing much apart from virtue signaling

Bizarre to me that he then gets criticism for actually going there and daft claims of hypocricy over going to commentate for BeIn - I might have missed it but Im yet to see anyone post anything he's ever said that is hyprocritical about this World Cup

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ugh I saw Jamie Carragher in Euston Station this morning. Ruined my day.

Gary may be a massive virtue signalling hypocrite, but he's our massive virtual signalling hypocrite.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
. But when someone puts themselves on a pedestal, then as we have seen, they’re liable to fall foul of critique - and rightly so.
I don't know much about pedestals but clearly you've found a soapbox.

Sweet Square

In case you havent noticed Gary Neville is a football pundit and not any kind of journalist, so I really have no idea what people are expecting from one 45mins episode of the Overlap, its entirely pointless to start listing all the things he didnt cover

In my opinion, he's already gone beyond his 'duty' by going out to Qatar and trying to highlight some of the issues with the World Cup - I dont see many others in the football community doing much apart from virtue signaling
You can’t one minute say well Gary is just a moron/footballer and then give him credit for “highlighting” issues with the World Cup. If he has the ability to bring up criticisms of the Qatar World Cup then he also has the ability to not do a shite job of it(Which is the main criticism of his documentary).

Also we aren’t talking about not paying taxes or behind closed doors deal here. Gary is visiting football stadiums that would give Albert Speer wet dreams and he is praising(And getting paid) the fact these stadiums have a lower budget than Spurs new one(I wonder why Gary…….)

Bizarre to me that he then gets criticism for actually going there and daft claims of hypocricy over going to commentate for BeIn

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I am environmentally conscious. I volunteer when I can, including litter picking and previously, working on sustainable eco projects. I try to do my bit. I think that’s important.
Very commendable.

Yet, I would never claim to be a flag bearer or beyond reproach on my habits - far from it.
Flag bearers are the worst, no question about it.

But when someone puts themselves on a pedestal, then as we have seen, they’re liable to fall foul of critique - and rightly so.
Oh, yes. Those pedestal people are the worst (other than flag bearers, that is).

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Very commendable.

Flag bearers are the worst, no question about it.

Oh, yes. Those pedestal people are the worst (other than flag bearers, that is).
Don’t be disingenuous.

It was in response to the comment, which gave the impression I was suggesting we should all stop caring about climate change for fear of being labelled a hypocrite, which was a misrepresentation of my point. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have mentioned it - nor do I make a habit of doing so with friends or family.

I do care about climate change, but I am not gluing myself to roads, blocking emergency vehicles or members of the public trying to get to work. It isn’t the right approach, and people who are complicit in this, should be held accountable (by the law and by people calling them out for their own climate ‘misdemeanours’).

G Neville is the same. An outspoken social justice warrior, yet happy to take money from the same Qatar regime he’s previously called out. It’s hypocrisy of the the highest order and he wouldn’t have had this backlash if he’d have kept quiet. Conversely, the decision not to keep quiet is a perfectly legitimate and sensible one - but then don’t take their money.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You can’t one minute say well Gary is just a moron/footballer and then give him credit for “highlighting” issues with the World Cup. If he has the ability to bring up criticisms of the Qatar World Cup then he also has the ability to not do a shite job of it(Which is the main criticism of his documentary).

Also we aren’t talking about not paying taxes or behind closed doors deal here. Gary is visiting football stadiums that would give Albert Speer wet dreams and he is praising(And getting paid) the fact these stadiums have a lower budget than Spurs new one(I wonder why Gary…….)

Well I dont agree that he did a shite job of it but of course people are entitled to their opinion.
On the subject of cheap labour he did go to the worker camps and challenged the company manager about the conditions and how much workers were getting paid, anyone expecting anymore than that from the Overlap is deluded.

Hislop says he could stay at home at talk about the issues but thats the epitome of virtue signalling as far as Im concerned - actually going to Qatar to see first hand whats going on and talk to the people in charge of making decisions is far more worthwhile in my eyes

AndySmith1990

I think it's perfectly fair to criticise him for being a hypocrite when he's going over there to work as a pundit/commentator. If he were travelling over there to film a documentary on the subject to highlight the issues then fair enough, but as Ian Hislop correctly points out he's not exactly going to highlight these issues whilst sat in a commentary box watching a game of football. It's just a sad reality of people; we're selfish. We talk about having morals but very few people are willing to make sacrifices to stand up for what they believe in. In the case of Neville the sacrifice would be forgoing the financial gain and the exposure of working for a broadcaster during one of the biggest events in sport.

Sweet Square

Hislop says he could stay at home at talk about the issues but thats the epitome of virtue signalling as far as Im concerned - actually going to Qatar to see first hand whats going on and talk to the people in charge of making decisions is far more worthwhile in my eyes
I’m very doubtful that he will even get the chance to challenge anything that is happening in Qatar. In the end they are paying Gary to sit in a studio and talk about football, nothing more, which so far Neville is more than happy to accept.

Imo Gary wants to have his cake and to eat it too. He wants criticise Qatar while also taking their money.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
The optics of someone of filming themself welling up and claiming their world is being destroyed because of oil, whilst driving a car that uses oil, is yes, rather hypocritical. There is a massive distinction between being environmentally conscious and concerned in the way we are reliant on fossil fuels and the former referenced.

You can raise awareness without going to the extreme lengths of severely disrupting members of the public trying to travel to work or go about their day. So yes, in these circumstances, people should definitely expect to be held to higher levels of scrutiny.

The same applies to Insulate Britain who adopted a similar approach. Although, since it was highlighted that the leader hadn’t actually insulated his own home, they appear to have become rather less conspicuous.

I am environmentally conscious. I volunteer when I can, including litter picking and previously, working on sustainable eco projects. I try to do my bit. I think that’s important. Yet, I would never claim to be a flag bearer or beyond reproach on my habits - far from it. But when someone puts themselves on a pedestal, then as we have seen, they’re liable to fall foul of critique - and rightly so.
It’s literally the only way to draw attention to it though, the un secretary general warned we are “on the highway to climate hell” yet most of the general public are completely unaware of this, everyone I speak to knows about the just stop oil protests.

Again you bring up the guy who hasn’t got his house insulated, he lives in property owned by a housing association, would you pay thousands of pounds to have a council house insulated ? No the government / housing provider should be doing it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think it's perfectly fair to criticise him for being a hypocrite when he's going over there to work as a pundit/commentator. If he were travelling over there to film a documentary on the subject to highlight the issues then fair enough, but as Ian Hislop correctly points out he's not exactly going to highlight these issues whilst sat in a commentary box watching a game of football. It's just a sad reality of people; we're selfish. We talk about having morals but very few people are willing to make sacrifices to stand up for what they believe in. In the case of Neville the sacrifice would be forgoing the financial gain and the exposure of working for a broadcaster during one of the biggest events in sport.
And what would that achieve? Nothing

The so called moral high ground of staying at home or boycotting is entirely worthless in my opinion

And obviously he's already been there to film a documentary - maybe he'll follow it up, we shall see

I’m very doubtful that he will even get the chance to challenge anything that is happening in Qatar. In the end they are paying Gary to sit in a studio and talk about football, nothing more, which so far Neville is more than happy to accept.

Imo Gary wants to have his cake and to eat it too. He wants criticise Qatar while also taking their money.
He's actually not particularly critical of Qatar and never has been so he's been consistent in that all along - sure he'll say there are issues and they need to improve but he's mostly supported the idea of a Middle Eastern WC being a vehicle for change

Thats why I fail to see where the hypocrisy comes in

fezzerUTD

Is he so far up his own backside, he thought going on this programme would be a good idea.

AlexUTD

Biggest problem in the world. Money buys everything, even fake loyalty.

Beckham (the worst kind ambassador) and GNev and everyone else going to Qatar basicly don`t give a shit about all those workers that died and their families.

Convienience over morale, disgusting.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Not invited for dinner ever again. Wow. Officially dead.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Well I dont agree that he did a shite job of it but of course people are entitled to their opinion.
On the subject of cheap labour he did go to the worker camps and challenged the company manager about the conditions and how much workers were getting paid, anyone expecting anymore than that from the Overlap is deluded.

You can’t believe what you’re writing surely? Even Gary Neville himself stopped believing this when he was challenged by Hislop.

Cloud7

I know it’s always been obvious that Ronaldo only cares about himself, but his willingness to attack his old teammates really is something else.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You can’t believe what you’re writing surely? Even Gary Neville himself stopped believing this when he was challenged by Hislop.
Yes I believe it

Hislop is a footballing ignoramus anyway, knows sod all about the WC and I doubt he even knows that Gary already went out to Qatar to make a documentary

romufc

I know it’s always been obvious that Ronaldo only cares about himself, but his willingness to attack his old teammates really is something else.
Its quite sad to see a player unable to take criticism. Its also sad that he holds grudges against former colleagues who say, the team is better without Ronaldo.

He only wants people who massage his ego around him.

Stacks

The logic applied by some people seems to amount to this: it's better that everyone just stops caring about global warming (or human rights, for that matter) because it's very likely that anyone doing so might fall into the "hypocrite" category for some reason or another.

And then...yes, what? Does the issue of global warming become less pressing because someone who brings it up happens to occasionally use a combustion engine? It's a juvenile "oh, gotcha there!" kind of reasoning (or lack thereof). Infuriating.
Or you could lead by example. I wouldn't eat meat whilst telling everyone to become vegan

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yes I believe it

Hislop is a footballing ignoramus anyway, knows sod all about the WC and I doubt he even knows that Gary already went out to Qatar to make a documentary
Or he’s clever enough to do his research and sees through Neville’s PR piece and it’s brazenly lame attempt to justify the ££

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
In what way did he attack them? He was asked about Rooney and whether there might be some jealousy there…he said perhaps because Rooney stopped years ago and he’s still playing, then jokingly said he’s also better looking. He said Neville isn’t his friend.

I don’t like what Ronaldo is doing in engineering a move but he’s not a player worth worrying about anymore, a bit like Rooney when he left.

Do I think Rooney or Neville care about anything but themselves? You couldn’t probably pick two more self-centred individuals

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If all men were Gary Neville we’d have a functioning society that’s better than what we have now.

If all men were Ronaldo we’d have a dystopian hellscape.

There are zero points of comparison. Ronaldo is a properly weird human. How people casually wave off how spectacularly weird he is, just because he can play football is beyond me.

Glorio

100% agree with you here.

Glorio

To be fair, from the video clips, Piers is leading him on with a lot of those views. Ronaldo gives an answer, Piers suggests something, Ronaldo agrees.
Not saying Ronaldo has any leg to stand on here, just saying when you actually see the clips, it's not like he goes on a full on rant against everyone. Piers brings up subjects and leads him to say stuff, which he does obviously, but there's extra context visible in the video clips which is missing from the written quotes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In what way did he attack them? He was asked about Rooney and whether there might be some jealousy there…he said perhaps because Rooney stopped years ago and he’s still playing, then jokingly said he’s also better looking. He said Neville isn’t his friend.

I don’t like what Ronaldo is doing in engineering a move but he’s not a player worth worrying about anymore, a bit like Rooney when he left.

Do I think Rooney or Neville care about anything but themselves? You couldn’t probably pick two more self-centred individuals
Self centred? G Nev?
Not sure if you were around when he was a player, but he was the ultimate team player then. Since then he's repeatedly spoken out against issues outside of football (housing some homeless at one time too), spoken against governments, spoken against the Glazers, shielded his mate Ole.

What on earth makes him self-centred?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
shielded his mate Ole.
Yet strangely when he had the chance to put his money where his mouth is (when Salford were looking for a manager) he didn't touch him with a bargepole.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Self centred? G Nev?
Not sure if you were around when he was a player, but he was the ultimate team player then. Since then he's repeatedly spoken out against issues outside of football (housing some homeless at one time too), spoken against governments, spoken against the Glazers, shielded his mate Ole.

What on earth makes him self-centred?
Hasnt Ronaldo done all of the above, and more?

He cares more about his own views and opinions than he does those that fall victim to his views and opinions and carries plenty of weight towards his own opinions of people to the extent he will refuse to backdown regardless of the extent of damage he may cause.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Or you could lead by example. I wouldn't eat meat whilst telling everyone to become vegan
I wouldn't either, obviously.

I would, however, sign a petition against cruelty to animals in the meat industry - and encourage others to do the same - even though I'm not a vegan.

That undoubtedly qualifies me as a big, fat hypocrite - but I can't say that bothers me all that much. I don't think the fact that I'm a hypocrite makes the case less worthy.