Gary Neville's Soccerbox with Roy Keane

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Watching it now - great stuff.

The more time passes the more it puts Roy as our best ever Prem player in my book.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hugging Sir Alex was like hugging a hedgehog according to Roy Keane.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
''Great characters, great lads'', should be Keane's trademark.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I had a hernia so the manager put me in an easy position - right back :lol: :lol:

Phil Neville such a nerd!

Gazautd18

Watched it after the match.
Sure it's been on before?
Funny he say's the 94 team were "great characters, great lads..Then wen't to find out later on that some of them weren't"
He's still bitter about SAF though! :lol:

arthurka

Watched it after the match.
Sure it's been on before?
Funny he say's the 94 team were "great characters, great lads..Then wen't to find out later on that some of them weren't"
He's still bitter about SAF though! :lol:
I can understand it, he gave his all for him for years even his hips. He was thrown under the bus at the fist chance.
How we treated Keano always left a bitter taste for me.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Great watch, Keane is just box office viewing every time.

He just can't mention SAF's name, it's the equivalent of saying Voldermort for him.

captaincantona

I can understand it, he gave his all for him for years even his hips. He was thrown under the bus at the fist chance.
Agreed. Can see both sides but will always be in Roy Keane's corner on this.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Agreed. Can see both sides but will always be in Roy Keane's corner on this.
The club handled Keane's departure well. It's a shame he had to go but he did it to himself and from a football point of view it was the right decision. Keane wasn't the same player.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
what a guy.

He didn't sign for Arsenal, or Blackburn cos they're sh*&e
He signed for Utd cos they're f*&kin dynamite !!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Is the football clips in the interview edited like a sore thumb to avoid copyright detection? Or is the interview actually like that, because its a bit frustrating to watch this in particular

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
His departure was alright and he even got a great testimonial a few months later.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hardly the first chance.
We allowed all sorts of red mist moments, leaving the team with 10 men at bad times.

The point is, a proper ruthless winning club analyse that moment where the liability exceeds the benefit from having the player around.
Fergie judged that moment as being it.

Having seen what we've become, keeping the likes of Mata 3 or 4 years past their best use, or keeping Jonesy for a decade when he's barely played 3 full seasons, you have to wonder if ruthless and winning is better than lovely, and not.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The club handled Keane's departure well. It's a shame he had to go but he did it to himself and from a football point of view it was the right decision. Keane wasn't the same player.
They booted him out midseason, instead of letting him stay on for the season, and a more reasonable parting of ways there.
However, Fergie had judged that the benefit versus risk had strayed into negatives, and that's what happens at ruthless winning clubs.

united_99

Also what exactly is Keane‘s issue with SAF? Just his exit from the club or is it more the stuff SAF said/wrote later about Keane?
If it is the way he left the club in 2005 then it‘s weird and hypocritical because when he actually needed SAF a couple of years AFTER his exit (yep, when he needed to buy or loan our players as Sunderland manager) he actually reached out to SAF.

SAF then also told back then - when asked about it - that an advice he gave him was that especially as a manager he needs to learn to accept things he doesn’t necessary agree with.

It‘s just rather stubbornness and „show“ from both men than actual valid reasons for their „silent fight“

united_99

Hardly the first chance.
We allowed all sorts of red mist moments, leaving the team with 10 men at bad times.

The point is, a proper ruthless winning club analyse that moment where the liability exceeds the benefit from having the player around.
Fergie judged that moment as being it.

Having seen what we've become, keeping the likes of Mata 3 or 4 years past their best use, or keeping Jonesy for a decade when he's barely played 3 full seasons, you have to wonder if ruthless and winning is better than lovely, and not.
Yeah don’t get all this either. Red cards, a night in prison in 99 of all seasons, Haaland incident, then admitting it (plus ban - so missing games for us), etc.
He was great so he got away with a lot (and rightly so) but as you say, hardly the first chance.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
They booted him out midseason, instead of letting him stay on for the season, and a more reasonable parting of ways there.
However, Fergie had judged that the benefit versus risk had strayed into negatives, and that's what happens at ruthless winning clubs.
The club had no choice really. We couldn't go against the manager because Fergie wanted Keane out to send a message to the rest of the team. United gave him a testimonial at the end of the season and Fergie had plenty of good things to say then despite Keane not speaking to him.

Irwin99

I watched it, I always feel he's too harsh when judging himself sometimes. I remember his last ever game was still a good individual performance against Liverpool (dire game though) and his passing and defensive stats in his last full season were really good (MoTM performances at Anfield and Highbury). Obviously not the same player as the 98-02 version but still very good.

Although it wasn't mentioned in this, I always want to know Nicky Butt's version of the fight between Keane and Schmeichal. I bet it's a good story.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Is the football clips in the interview edited like a sore thumb to avoid copyright detection? Or is the interview actually like that, because its a bit frustrating to watch this in particular
Its edited.

poleglass red

The club had no choice really. We couldn't go against the manager because Fergie wanted Keane out to send a message to the rest of the team. United gave him a testimonial at the end of the season and Fergie had plenty of good things to say then despite Keane not speaking to him.
Keane as a player was finished, if that's the case, explain that to him, he wouldn't be happy but he'd know the situation. The hiding behind the famous half time analysis Keane did when we were getting hammered, to me was sneaky considering what he'd given the club. Fergie had wanted him gone, he'd served his purpose, but to destroy that interview only adds to the poor handling of the situation. For all his toughness and ruthlessness he had as a manager, I think he handled this poorly. It's a pity, both are too stubborn to bury the hatchet.

arthurka

Keane as a player was finished, if that's the case, explain that to him, he wouldn't be happy but he'd know the situation. The hiding behind the famous half time analysis Keane did when we were getting hammered, to me was sneaky considering what he'd given the club. Fergie had wanted him gone, he'd served his purpose, but to destroy that interview only adds to the poor handling of the situation. For all his toughness and ruthlessness he had as a manager, I think he handled this poorly. It's a pity, both are too stubborn to bury the hatchet.
Pride is a tough thing to swallow for everyone. Don´t think Keane would´ve taken any chat lightly regarding his role being changed or his status being demoted.
Can´t see a scenario were this would´ve gone well for them both to be fair.

Gazza

Also what exactly is Keane‘s issue with SAF? Just his exit from the club or is it more the stuff SAF said/wrote later about Keane?
If it is the way he left the club in 2005 then it‘s weird and hypocritical because when he actually needed SAF a couple of years AFTER his exit (yep, when he needed to buy or loan our players as Sunderland manager) he actually reached out to SAF.

SAF then also told back then - when asked about it - that an advice he gave him was that especially as a manager he needs to learn to accept things he doesn’t necessary agree with.

It‘s just rather stubbornness and „show“ from both men than actual valid reasons for their „silent fight“
Supposedly Keane and Fergie shook hands at the end of their last meeting and agreed they wouldn’t leak details to the press. Keane says the next day he found that Fergie had been briefing the papers. I think that is what destroyed their relationship more than the actual decision to cut ties.

PeteManic

More Sky Sports nostalgia. Souness will be on next talking about his games when men played football.

Notice Souness has been off Sky for a while now.