Gavi and Pedri

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
These two are sensational. If we have a thread for Haaland and Mbappe, I think it's only right that the two outstanding midfield prospects have one as well.

Pablo Martín Páez Gavira is 18 years old. Pedro González López turns 20 in two days. We've known of them for a while, but the way the look for Spain at such a tender age is remarkable. Barca have managed to produce (or acquire) two phenomenal midfield talents again. Gavi was acquired from Betis at 11, here's a clip of him as a kid for La Liara (6-9):

Pedri hails from Tenerife and was with the youth setup at Laguna before going to Las Palmas and only acquired by Barca 3 years ago. Here's a clip from his Las Palmas years (16-18):

If it weren't for these two boys I think Barca would be looking into the wilderness, but having them two changes an enormous amount. I wonder how they will compare to Iniesta and Xavi over the next decade.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
De Jong behind them as a deep-lying playmaker too...(at Barca).

Quality talents. Spain's midfield will be interesting this WC.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
De Jong behind them as a deep-lying playmaker too...(at Barca).

Quality talents. Spain's midfield will be interesting this WC.
I don't see de Jong being a capable Busquets replacement.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
I love them both. I know our dire economic situation has played a big part on this but come to think about this. Xavi didn’t become a regular starter Until Guardiola as a player left the club he was already 21 by then. Iniesta didn’t become a regular starter until 2006 when he was already 22. It's amazing how good these two are at their age. Not only technically speaking but also in their decision making.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pedri is an all time talent IMO. Gavi is a top talent but not in the same tier for me

Chief123

I was thinking how these two will be running rings around us in February. :houllier:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Great talents and very young. They also look very focused and calm with football. A blessing for Barcelona.

In Spain many players of this style are coming out. Pablo Torre o Alberto Moleiro for example.

Dion

Pedri is like 2 or 3 levels above Gavi right now, Gavi is "good top club" level talent, Pedri is "oh shit we got one" levels.

Nick7

Pedri is obviously an absolutely fantastic player but I fecking love Gavi. Love everything about his game.

wr8_utd

:'(
While I like Gavi and how talented and hard working he is, Pedri is in a completely different league imo. He's a magician and has everything in his game.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Pedri is like 2 or 3 levels above Gavi right now, Gavi is "good top club" level talent, Pedri is "oh shit we got one" levels.
Something people don't value enough is Gavi's work rate, he presses like crazy and gets a lot of balls back.

RedDevilRoshi

Fair enough the opposition (Costa Rica) were extremely poor but watching those two today was like watching Xavi & Iniesta in their primes. They were both sensational and look really exciting prospects.

Spain do have some very good talented youngsters coming through and I won’t be surprised if they become the dominant force on the international stage once more like they were just over a decade ago.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Fair enough the opposition (Costa Rica) were extremely poor but watching those two today was like watching Xavi & Iniesta in their primes. They were both sensational and look really exciting prospects.

Spain do have some very good talented youngsters coming through and I won’t be surprised if they become the dominant force on the international stage once more like they were just over a decade ago.
Yeah, I think they're the favourites. They also have an exceptional manager.

Righteous Steps

I would, they need to balance the technical ability with athleticism to be a dominant force, France have just as many midfielders coming through of a different type but they also have maverick pacey wingers and wide forwards and athletically dominant CBS too in abundance also, that’s where the difference will be.

jesperjaap

Fantastic ypung players, especially Pedri. Think its too early for them to carry SPain in this world cup though once they play better teams...they are not there yet, but Pedri isnt far off and how good could both be in 3/4 seasons. But we also have Bellingham and Foden in this country who are also potential world class players so shouldnt be too jealous

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Proper football players. Joy to watch. Especially Pedri, who could go on to match Iniesta levels.

Mr PG

He isn't, but people don't wanna hear that.
He could. He’s a better talent that busquets but as the coach said… he doesn’t like to stay in position. He wanders too much… probably because he loves dribbling and needs to touch the ball a lot. Into too sure of him. He got robbed of the ball numerous times by Senegal. It’s like they had him as a pressing trigger .

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be fair there’s no way De Jong would start above these 2 in Barca midfield.

NoPace

To be fair there’s no way De Jong would start above these 2 in Barca midfield.
Pedri is just fantastic, but my guess is Barca would still be in the CL if they'd just played De Jong and I guess Kessie in midfield, Pedri as a 10 and then used Gavi as a supersub. The kid just turned 18.

NoPace

Mbappe alone will rip through their defence.
They could drop Busquets and play with Rodri and say Koke in midfield and be more solid. Maybe bring in Llorente and Morata and Williams and just play less possession ball.

Mbappe is probably the one player I think they should rip up the playbook and play differently against. They just don't have the speed at RB or talent at RCB to stop him.