Gay footballers | Czech Republic international Jakub Jankto comes out as gay

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Well it is certainly interesting though. Although should not be a source of abuse the same way as race, nationality etc should not be.
I think football fans are pretty open though at least online. Abuse mainly comes from poor performances (football reasons) although that should not be a source of abuse either.
Still I think if someone like Lingard came out as gay he would get even more stick here.
Not just in football, I mean, in life, it’s just not interesting to me what sexuality someone is. Why does it actually matter?

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
My teenage daughter recently told me she was gay, so now more than ever the thought of someone having to hide a large part of their life/identity because of the views of some knuckle dragging repressed backward ass fecks really presses my buttons. The look of relief on her face when she told me and I said I was proud of her for having the courage to tell me, and that she should always be proud of herself and who she is almost broke my heart, the thought that she thought the reaction would be anything other than loving acceptance of who she is in this day and age is so sad. No one can help who they love or are attracted to, hopefully this stops being an issue one day
My niece came out a few years back. At the same time she revealed her girlfriend...who is Indian.

I panicked as I thought my family would go crazy. Especially my racist 80 year old dad.

I was so surprised how supportive my family were. Even my Dad!

I hope all is well for you and your family And if anyone says anything...give them the finger! Haha

Paul_Scholes18

Not just in football, I mean, in life, it’s just not interesting to me what sexuality someone is. Why does it actually matter?
I find it interesting since it is part of who they are. I would accept anyone though.
Two of my closest friends are bisexuals and I have known a Trans person too.
For football it do not matter beyond curiosity.
Trans people in sport is a tricky subject though with people born as men competing in womens sport.
Not heard about that in football though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Big love for that post.

All the best to you all.
Thanks chap, back at ya.
My niece came out a few years back. At the same time she revealed her girlfriend...who is Indian.

I panicked as I thought my family would go crazy. Especially my racist 80 year old dad.

I was so surprised how supportive my family were. Even my Dad!

I hope all is well for you and your family And if anyone says anything...give them the finger! Haha
That's so good to hear, all good here mate, hope you and yours are all doing well, more likely to be a right hook than the finger :lol:

matt10000

Some people are left handed, some right handed, some ambidextrous.....no one cares! Should be the same for sexuality and while a minority make an issue out of it, I think the majority wouldn’t join in those kind of chants

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting little reaction to a football league ref announcing to wider world he was gay at the weekend:

James Adcock: Referee shares his story on National Coming Out Day - BBC Sport

Never heard of the guy but he's reffed for many seasons in football league and done 4th official duties so it's not like a parks league ref has come out.

Could this be more reflection of way things are turning given lack of fuss about womens ref doing the England match at weekend or is there still some way to go for players eventually to feel comfortable on a pitch.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My boss is gay, and when he invited us all to his place to have a house party to announce his engagement, I was totally shocked as I would have never expected that (even he does always resemble the likes of a gay man with his strong feminine side at times). And then they went on to have a happy marriage together, which then changes my view on gay marriage, I do think it’s quite normal nowadays.

stw2022

Agreed, I used to be a bit dubious of it but some of my best sexual partners have been other gay men so it changed my outlook

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Interesting little reaction to a football league ref announcing to wider world he was gay at the weekend:

Never heard of the guy but he's reffed for many seasons in football league and done 4th official duties so it's not like a parks league ref has come out.

Could this be more reflection of way things are turning given lack of fuss about womens ref doing the England match at weekend or is there still some way to go for players eventually to feel comfortable on a pitch.
Fair play and full respect to him for choosing to be open and thus pioneer things in the right direction.

Also, I wonder how many people in here right now are DESPERATELY gritting their teeth in a bid to resist making some kind of pun on his name…

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
My teenage daughter recently told me she was gay, so now more than ever the thought of someone having to hide a large part of their life/identity because of the views of some knuckle dragging repressed backward ass fecks really presses my buttons. The look of relief on her face when she told me and I said I was proud of her for having the courage to tell me, and that she should always be proud of herself and who she is almost broke my heart, the thought that she thought the reaction would be anything other than loving acceptance of who she is in this day and age is so sad. No one can help who they love or are attracted to, hopefully this stops being an issue one day
We had the same a few months back, when she came home from school and said she had a girlfriend. Didn't bother us in the slightest. Happy she could be comfortable telling us something like that. Her girlfriend, didn't get the same sort of support from her parents. Was told she wasn't allowed to be a lesbian, and had to break it off. Apparently she'd old enough for a boyfriend, but not a girlfriend. I don't know why people are still like this in this day and age. My daughter has had some great support from her friends too.

The other thing that makes me laugh is the meatheads that think a homosexual man is wrong, but will happily drop trousers to watch a video of homosexual women.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
We had the same a few months back, when she came home from school and said she had a girlfriend. Didn't bother us in the slightest. Happy she could be comfortable telling us something like that. Her girlfriend, didn't get the same sort of support from her parents. Was told she wasn't allowed to be a lesbian, and had to break it off. Apparently she'd old enough for a boyfriend, but not a girlfriend. I don't know why people are still like this in this day and age. My daughter has had some great support from her friends too.

The other thing that makes me laugh is the meatheads that think a homosexual man is wrong, but will happily drop trousers to watch a video of homosexual women.
world needs more people like you two, kudos.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Poor girl, it breaks my heart to hear things like that. As if being a teenager and trying to figure out life and who you are isnt already tough enough. Glad your daughter has you guys looking out for her though.
I had a friend like that in school, constantly going on about how wrong it was and they should be strung up (methinks the lady doth protest too much, but thats not my point) I told him one day, 'Mate, you are a pig ugly fecker, for you the more gay men in the world the better, narrow down the options enough and maybe a girl will sleep with you"
Thats kind mate, thank you.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Poor girl, it breaks my heart to hear things like that. As if being a teenager and trying to figure out life and who you are isnt already tough enough. Glad your daughter has you guys looking out for her though.
I had a friend like that in school, constantly going on about how wrong it was and they should be strung up (methinks the lady doth protest too much, but thats not my point) I told him one day, 'Mate, you are a pig ugly fecker, for you the more gay men in the world the better, narrow down the options enough and maybe a girl will sleep with you"
Yeah I feel sorry for her. Nobody has the right to tell someone what they should and shouldn't like. Especially something like this. Support your kids, and they will come to you with whatever problems they have.

Cheers dude

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yeah I feel sorry for her. Nobody has the right to tell someone what they should and shouldn't like. Especially something like this. Support your kids, and they will come to you with whatever problems they have.

Cheers dude
exactly. Home should be where they can ALWAYS be their selves, and know they can talk to you about absolutely anything, except admitting to being a liverpool supporter, then she would be out on her ear :lol:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Good on him for doing an interview. These things help. Sounds like he's had a pretty chill time of it so far, so hopefully that doesn't change too much now.

Fair play and full respect to him for choosing to be open and thus pioneer things in the right direction.

Also, I wonder how many people in here right now are DESPERATELY gritting their teeth in a bid to resist making some kind of pun on his name…
I refuse to believe the bloke does not introduce himself with a pun on his name when he's had a few drinks. It's an objectively great name.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Bravo to both of you.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
My daughter has had some great support from her friends too.
This is something that has shocked and pleased me more than anything. A friend of my daughters came out on his class's WhatsApp group with the message that he was "a queen" My daughter showed me the responses, lots of kids both boys and girls posting rainbow flags and sincere messages of support and congratulations. It was fantastic to see, there wasn't one negative answer. They're 11.

If I had told my class that when I was at school I would have been beaten and teased mercilessly for the rest of my school career and still known to classmates 30 years later as bum boy or something equally as witty. It warms my heart to see how things have changed.

Last edited:

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
This is something that has shocked and pleased me more than anything. A friend of my daughters came out on his class's WhatsApp group with the message that he was "a queen" My daughter showed me the responses, lots of kids both boys and girls posting rainbow flags and sincere messages of support and congratulations. It was fantastic to see, there wasn't one negative answer. They're 11.

If I had told my class that when I was at school I would have been beaten and teased mercilessly for the rest of my school career and still known to classmates 30 years later as bum boy or something equally as witty. It warms my heart to see how things have changed.
Yeah, its been really pleasing to see.

When she told us, I had thoughts of people being nasty, calling out bad names etc. Especially as she's just started at a new all girls school.

Of course there will still be kids who are told how they should see things by their backwards parents (Race/Religion/Sexuality). But so many people genuinely couldn't give a crap anymore.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Apt surname for a gay ref

HTG

Supports
Bayern

The kids are alright. I’ve finished with school only ten years ago and even back then, I would have never had the guts to come out to my classmates.
Nowadays it seems to be quite normal for schoolchildren to be out and open. And they are getting support. That’s really beautiful to see. We still have a long way to go, obviously. But things are getting better.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They're 11.
My niece is 11. She's pretty much the definition of what's still "normal" statistically (heterosexual mom and dad, none of her friends or classmates have anything but "standard" moms and dads either). She spends far too much time looking at (to me) random, inane crap on TikTok and the like...but she thinks anti-queer people (including religious people who don't abuse the poor queers, but only seek to enlighten and cure 'em) are absolutely ridiculous.

In fact, I'd say the idea that heterosexuality is in any shape or form better or more preferable is alien to her. Which is - precisely - why she easily identifies potential "influencers" with an anti-queer agenda even when they're trying to be somewhat "subtle" about it.

Compare this to when I was 11 myself...it's night and day.

So, the world is still shit - and all. But - yes - there has been some progress.

Last edited:

Andersonson

My niece is 11. She's pretty much the definition of what's still "normal" statistically (heterosexual mom and dad, none of her friends or classmates have anything but "standard" moms and dads either). She spends far too much time looking at (to me) random, inane crap on TikTok and the like...but she thinks anti-queer people (including religious people who don't abuse the poor queers, but only seek to enlighten and cure 'em) are absolutely ridiculous.

In fact, I'd say the idea that heterosexuality is in any shape or form better or more preferable is alien to her. Which is - precisely - why she easily identifies potential "influencers" with an anti-queer agenda even when they're trying to be somewhat "subtle" about it.

So, the world is still shit - and all. But - yes - there has been some progress.
11 year olds shouldn't be on tik tok though. Every report on the matters says the same, young kids on social media is damaging.
Though glad she has a healthy value on this matter.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
11 year olds shouldn't be on tik tok though. Every report on the matters says the same, young kids on social media is damaging.
I agree.

And I've said as much to my sister - and she agrees too, in theory. It's hard for parents, though - you give 'em a phone...and then you have to monitor how they use it, etc.

I don't envy her in the slightest.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I agree.

And I've said as much to my sister - and she agrees too, in theory. It's hard for parents, though - you give 'em a phone...and then you have to monitor how they use it, etc.

I don't envy her in the slightest.
I think it’s very hard for parents. I also think it’s unfeasible a lot of the time to completely eliminate social media from a kid’s life. It’s fairly ubiquitous, I imagine many 11 year olds will watch YouTube or Tiktok. Rather than try and stop it all together I think the best bet is to have clear boundaries about time spent engaging, open dialogue and oversight regarding what gets watched, and strict instructions on how you interact (for example you never share something to YouTube or Tiktok but you can use WhatsApp to message your gran).

There’s no argument from me that social media is damaging for youths, and a unique one in some aspects. But like in the sense that television or video games can be damaging depending on how they’re engaged with and the lengths of time spent engaging, the same goes for social media and how it’s approached. There are benefits too, there’s been a few stories in the last couple pages about how the younger generations are much more open minded about lgbt related issues, and one of the driving forces of this has been social media giving platforms to voices and arguments that many of us older folk will have never had access too growing up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

That's amazing stuff. And actually, I can't imagine it will be any different for my daughter (currently 8). It's amazing what it can do simply to raise kids with an open mind. We'll have to wait and see to what extent this will 'stick' when they all get older and get different influences, I guess - but it's definitely something to (finally) feel optimistic about.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I really hope we get to the point where a boy or girl asking their own sex out in school is seen as natural as boy/girl and people barely bat an eyelid.

I left secondary school in 2008 and even that feels like another world to the accounts you and others have gave so we may get there quicker than we think.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The law of averages suggests there should be alot of Gay players. There could even be one per squad.
If it was me I'd be more concerned about the media and their reporting of being Gay and making it a huge story than abuse from some prick on the terrace. Lets face it players getting serious abuse from the fans isnt rare so they are used to that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The law of averages suggests there should be alot of Gay players. There could even be one per squad.
If it was me I'd be more concerned about the media and their reporting of being Gay and making it a huge story than abuse from some prick on the terrace. Lets face it players getting serious abuse from the fans isnt rare so they are used to that.
I do think the fact that football from top to bottom isn't exactly welcoming to gay people does drive them away from the sport resulting in a far below average amount of gay people in the sport. This is just an assumption of course, but it seems kinda logical.

I could add in the fact that the whopping 2 gay people I know loathe football and think it's for peasants, but that's not saying much in the grand scheme of things.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yep, a big problem is people expect them to "come out".

If a footballer is gay/bi then the first time we should hear about it is when they announce a relationship/engagement, not their sexuality in itself.

McGrathsipan

I do think the fact that football from top to bottom isn't exactly welcoming to gay people does drive them away from the sport resulting in a far below average amount of gay people in the sport. This is just an assumption of course, but it seems kinda logical.

I could add in the fact that the whopping 2 gay people I know loathe football and think it's for peasants, but that's not saying much in the grand scheme of things.
Makes sense I suppose

McGrathsipan

If a footballer is gay/bi then the first time we should hear about it is when they announce a relationship/engagement, not their sexuality in itself.
Exactly its nobody's business. Imagine the media scrum when someone decides to come out. All these poxy media outlets will be desperate to report it pretending they care

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I don't understand any of this, I couldn't care less what people do in their spare time, I find it odd that it's even a subject spoken about, why do they feel the need to "Come out" or all this other stuff, I don't come out as straight, I just live my life, it's sad there have been people/ events that make these people feel as though they need to come out at all rather than just live their life. It's not for other people to "Accept" or "Not Accept", it's their choice, they don't need validation from others, I genuinely don't understand why it's a "Thing", it shouldn't matter what everyone choses to do...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't understand any of this, I couldn't care less what people do in their spare time, I find it odd that it's even a subject spoken about, why do they feel the need to "Come out" or all this other stuff, I don't come out as straight, I just live my life, it's sad there have been people/ events that make these people feel as though they need to come out at all rather than just live their life. It's not for other people to "Accept" or "Not Accept", it's their choice, they don't need validation from others, I genuinely don't understand why it's a "Thing", it shouldn't matter what everyone choses to do...
You don’t need to come out because you’re assumed straight until you say otherwise. And it’s awkward to live your life with people constantly making incorrect assumptions about your sexuality. Which is infinitely more difficult for someone that has a public profile, like a professional footballer, waiting to be “exposed “ at any minute. So it’s only natural they would want to get ahead of the tabloids on such a sensitive issue.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It’s not up to you (or anyone else) to decide whether a gay footballer should or shouldn’t come out but there are plenty of good reasons why they might want to (see above)

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

I'm sure you didn't mean it maliciously but this is an absolutely terrible attitude to have. It's not up to you or anyone else how or if a person decides to come out.