GB News; UK Right Leaning 24 Hour 'News' Channel

Reiver

Read today that Andrew Neil has quit the BBC to help launch GB News. Sounds like it will be the UK version of Fox News. Expect LBC but on television. Rupert Murdoch is apparently planning a similar TV channel.

What those on the Right manage to do very successfully is paint a picture of them being the downtrodden, under represented and mistreated sector of society. The reality is that it is the ideology of the Right that shapes the society we live in.
With most of the print media firmly right of centre, I'm quite worried about these views translating to tv

Anyway, I suppose I'm looking for people's views on this. Obviously I don't think so, but do others feel that their Right leaning views are not represented in the media? How much of a shit show will this channel and others like it be? Will BoJo buck his recent trend and actually appear on this channel?

NinjaFletch

Further proof of the left wing bias that had been running rampant in the BBC

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Could have our own Fox and Friends with Nigel Farage, Tommy Robinson and Katie Hopkins as the glamorous blonde.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Genuinely find this quite terrifying and I’ve absolutely no doubt it will further the current discourse in the U.K. and push those susceptible people further off the deep end.

Wolverine

This country is dominated by right wing and centre right narratives. And it shows in terms of electoral success of the Tory party and the concrete floor they have in terms of support that has barely dipped beyond 40% in the polls despite some v. unpopular decisions.
We haven't really got an MSNBC equivalent in this country. BBC is pretty tame in its fixation on neutrality its not very adversarial. Sky news possibly analogous to CNN but less polemic. Whereas talkradio, LBC have got the radio side covered with the Sun, the Mail, the Daily Star dominate in terms of circulation.

The whole woke leftism, social justice warrior stuff, cancel culture, immigrant bashing, all the bulk of what they'll offer. Its all I've been hearing, while simultaneously being told its things that aren't allowed to be said. Which are said, repeatedly.

Dante

Average bang
The BBC gets hate from the left for being too right-wing and from the right for being too left-wing. By and large, that's a good sign that they're mostly impartial. I trust them as much I can trust any single source of news.

On the broader point of news channels with strong philosophical positions, I fecking hate them. But seeing as a UK-Fox News is more or less inevitable, it's the resulting one-sided echo chamber I'll be most worried about.

I can definitely see a market for a right-wing news channel. But if it's only serious counter-balance is a centrist BBC, then that's going to be a problem. We don't have an MSNBC to take the burden of covering the other side of the argument. I worry we'll end up with the same polarisations you're getting now in the US.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Genuinely find this quite terrifying and I’ve absolutely no doubt it will further the current discourse in the U.K. and push those susceptible people further off the deep end.
Fox News has achieved exactly what it was conceived to achieve. Like you say, it’s genuinely terrifying what they hope to achieve with this. As if this country isn’t right wing enough and already being fed by a disgusting right wing press.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The BBC gets hate from the left for being too right-wing and from the right for being too left-wing. By and large, that's a good sign that they're mostly impartial. I trust them as much I can trust any single source of news.

On the broader point of news channels with strong philosophical positions, I fecking hate them. But seeing as a UK-Fox News is more or less inevitable, it's the one-sided echo chamber I'm most worried about.

I can definitely see a market for UK version of Fox News. But if it's only serious counter-balance was a centrist BBC, then it's going to be a problem. We don't have an MSNBC to take the burden of covering the other side of the argument. I worry we'll end up with the same polarisations you're getting now in the US.
Is there the large number of right wing radio stations in the UK as there is on the AM side here in the states? For a couple of decades, they were the major disseminator of conservative thought before the current Fox News iteration & the internet. If so, how effective has their messaging been?

Reiver

Is there the large number of right wing radio stations in the UK as there is on the AM side here in the states? For a couple of decades, they were the major disseminator of conservative thought before the current Fox News iteration & the internet. If so, how effective has their messaging been?
There is nowhere near the same number on this side of the pond. LBC and Talk Radio immediately spring to mind and
they seem to be part of a growing trend. They are no less insidious though.
There is a misconception in this country that the legal requirement for broadcasters to be fair and balanced means giving equal air time to rival points of view but this is not the case.

forevrared

As an American speaking with a couple decades of Fox News under our belt, my best advice would be to blow up the building on day one and hope they don’t come back.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
There is nowhere near the same number on this side of the pond. LBC and Talk Radio immediately spring to mind and
they seem to be part of a growing trend. They are no less insidious though.
There is a misconception in this country that the legal requirement for broadcasters to be fair and balanced means giving equal air time to rival points of view but this is not the case.
Thanks! Ours started proliferating in the 1980s, especially after the FCC abolished our fairness doctrine.

Balljy

Yeah, I agree. The effects of not having the BBC funded will only be noticed after it's gone unfortunately when we only have the paid-for channels left and have a more American style commercial channel leading our news such as Fox (Sky)

There was an interesting comment from Nicky Cambell on radio 5 about 6 months ago. He was talking about the impartiality of the BBC and said he was told by his bosses after complaints it was about balance rather than impartiality and that this was where the problem is as balanced means you had to have a climate denier on to balance an argument whereas with true impartiality you wouldn't.

Andrew Neil is right wing but was impressively derogatory about them when Boris wouldn't show up during the election campaign unlike a lot of the media. Pleased he's goned from the Beeb although he was a pretty combative interviewer.

Dante

Average bang
I wouldn't say a large number. But, yeah, there's definitely a right wing lean on talk radio here. Nowhere near as bad as the stuff I've heard from Limbaugh, though. That stuff definitely wash in this country (at least for now).

Dante

Average bang
Yeah, I agree. The effects of not having the BBC funded will only be noticed after it's gone unfortunately when we only have the paid-for channels left and have a more American style commercial channel leading our news such as Fox (Sky)

There was an interesting comment from Nicky Cambell on radio 5 about 6 months ago. He was talking about the impartiality of the BBC and said he was told by his bosses after complaints it was about balance rather than impartiality and that this was where the problem is as balanced means you had to have a climate denier on to balance an argument whereas with true impartiality you wouldn't.

Andrew Neil is right wing but was very derogatory about them when Boris wouldn't show up during the election campaign. Pleased he's goned from the Beeb although he was a pretty combative interviewer.
Fair point. 'Balanced' was the word I should have used.

neverdie

Andrew Neil is right wing but in an honest kind of way. He never gave people on the right a free ride even if he propagandized similar interests in his spare time. He's a proper journalist.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Andrew Neil is right wing but was impressively derogatory about them when Boris wouldn't show up during the election campaign unlike a lot of the media. Pleased he's goned from the Beeb although he was a pretty combative interviewer.
That was an orchestrated hit job by Neil in cahoots with Boris. They always knew they couldn’t pummel Corbyn while giving Boris the soft treatment so they did something even better. Corbyn’s words and Neil’s hard push backs were replayed for weeks while all Neil really did was ask a bunch of questions that Boris wasn’t there to answer.

F-Red

Can't work out the hysteria, just don't watch it. If ratings are low then they'll soon get bored.

Balljy

That was an orchestrated hit job by Neil in cahoots with Boris. They always knew they couldn’t pummel Corbyn while giving Boris the soft treatment so they did something even better. Corbyn’s words and Neil’s hard push backs were replayed for weeks while all Neil really did was ask a bunch of questions that Boris wasn’t there to answer.
Yeah, you're probably right. It's come off better than the other channels though which was basically to spiel off propaganda. Someone more on the left should have been directly involved to offer that side of the argument, but in reality if a potential leader is refusing interviews with the BBC I would expect people to pick up on how that's a massive problem with Boris' character.

forevrared

Can't work out the hysteria, just don't watch it. If ratings are low then they'll soon get bored.
Not watching it doesn’t mean you won’t have to deal with the brain worm infested troglodytes who will watch nothing else every day. There’ll be a massive political influence whether you like it or not.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Just what we needed. Can someone pull out the plug and sink this whole fecking island.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Not the most pressing concern of course, but "GB News" is such a woeful name. Kind of thing that has a clipart logo.

Reiver

Not the most pressing concern of course, but "GB News" is such a woeful name. Kind of thing that has a clipart logo.
You're right to some extent but the problem with these kind of organisations is that they give themselves reasonable sounding names that fool you into thinking that they are reasonable institutions representing the interests of the majority of people, such as the Taxpayers Alliance for example.

F-Red

Not watching it doesn’t mean you won’t have to deal with the brain worm infested troglodytes who will watch nothing else every day. There’ll be a massive political influence whether you like it or not.
Like any other news or media outlet then, there isn’t a single one out there that is impartial or unbiased.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
MGBGA has a nice ring to it