GB News; UK Right Leaning 24 Hour 'News' Channel

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is some scary shit. Genuinely feel like we’re on our way to something very very bad. Feels like this country has no hope at this point.

Is there any way for good to win when the harsh mentality of those in power and the most privileged has somehow managed to line up with half of the working class who are filled with hatred? And with media fanning the flames, it’s fecked.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It goes in cycles IMO. We're in a particularly nasty point at the moment, but it will change back again when people realise they are obviously worse off. Maybe I'm just optimistic...
You are. People will be worse off and then the increasingly extreme media will explain the myriad reasons to why they’re worse off, which will probably include lefties, immigrants and the EU.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It goes in cycles IMO. We're in a particularly nasty point at the moment, but it will change back again when people realise they are obviously worse off. Maybe I'm just optimistic...
People are so stubborn it’s going to take generations. My generation has been set back an incredible amount.

forevrared

Like any other news or media outlet then, there isn’t a single one out there that is impartial or unbiased.
If it’s anything like Fox News, it’ll be far past any sort of conventional media and into propaganda.

forevrared

We’ve been saying the same in the US since the beginning of Reaganomics in the 80’s and it’s only gotten worse...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yup. Get ready for fifty years of Tory rule. Actually, I bet in fifty years we'll be begging for a party as "center right" as the Tories...

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
This is some scary shit. Genuinely feel like we’re on our way to something very very bad. Feels like this country has no hope at this point.

Is there any way for good to win when the harsh mentality of those in power and the most privileged has somehow managed to line up with half of the working class who are filled with hatred? And with media fanning the flames, it’s fecked.
That literally sounds like fascism, and it's hard to look at the world and not worry that things are pulling in that direction.

SnowRoll

So, by the majority of comments here, let me see if I got it correctly:
For those on the left, who often call themselves liberals, free speech applies only when someone shares the same opinions and views as yours. Otherwise, they should burn.
Did I get it right?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
For those on the left, who often call themselves liberals, free speech applies only when someone shares the same opinions and views as yours. Otherwise, they should burn.
Did I get it right?
Yes, leftist liberals want to burn those who have different opinions and views.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Did I get it right?
Actually no. As far as I can see no one in this thread has attempted to curtail the freedom of speech of the new channel, or even suggested that it should be done.

In fact the disgust and worry expressed in this thread at the inevitability of the channel, if anything, shows an acknowledgement of the channels freedom of speech, in that it will be realised.

Furthermore the first mention of potential burnings came directly from your post.

You got it just about as wrong as possible.

What the hell are you actually playing at?

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
People are dumb and it's easy to manipulate them. The easiest way is to bombard them with memorable phrases and pseudo-intellectual jargon from words they recognize. Broadcast it free so it reaches as many eyeballs and ears as possible. It scary how effective it is. The genocide in Rwanda was built on continous radio propaganda.

Icemav

This is exactly my sentiments. The ingtedients are there to increase the chance of setting fire to our own house. Exaggerated confrontational opposites are being created stock full of confrontational labels. Targetted social media and Search engine increasing this further.

To a conservative a liberal in power means Soviet style gulags. And to a liberal a conservatives in power means neofacism.

Big tech, media, the average politician and the electorate seem to want to hand the keys to popularists. Just when we thought we had learned something frpm history.

Demonising groups never works to society's benefit.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Read today that Andrew Neil has quit the BBC to help launch GB News. Sounds like it will be the UK version of Fox News. Expect LBC but on television. Rupert Murdoch is apparently planning a similar TV channel.

What those on the Right manage to do very successfully is paint a picture of them being the downtrodden, under represented and mistreated sector of society. The reality is that it is the ideology of the Right that shapes the society we live in.
With most of the print media firmly right of centre, I'm quite worried about these views translating to tv

Anyway, I suppose I'm looking for people's views on this. Obviously I don't think so, but do others feel that their Right leaning views are not represented in the media? How much of a shit show will this channel and others like it be? Will BoJo buck his recent trend and actually appear on this channel?
Just what we need. More right wing propoganda.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Did I get it right?
Seems more like inflammatory bollocks you just made up.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Honestly who needs this rubbish? Course Andrew Neil is involved, cheers Andrew going to continue to make this country worse than it already is.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Did I get it right?
Yawn.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Did I get it right?
Yes because we realise that they have free speech to say hateful and incorrect things and that is why we are fearful, to which we have the free speech to criticise.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What the hell are you actually playing at?
Being the typical right wing caf poster where they chuck words into the lefty caf mouth in order to make a point about how oppressed they are as someone with bigoted views?

Fluctuation0161

The BBC gets hate from the left for being too right-wing and from the right for being too left-wing. By and large, that's a good sign that they're mostly impartial. I trust them as much I can trust any single source of news.
BBC entertainment may be slightly left leaning but BBC news has a strong bias, right wing, pro government.

Because they are inherently trusted makes them the most dangerous.

That will pale in comparison to GB news, we have all seen the damage that Fox news has done in the US. This will be a small taste of how far downhill and, eventually, to the extreme right Brexit Britain will go.

Fluctuation0161

Andrew Neil is right wing but in an honest kind of way. He never gave people on the right a free ride even if he propagandized similar interests in his spare time. He's a proper journalist.
How long will he be working for? 5-10 years max until they draft in someone who will give the right a free ride. Also, he will not be presenting every show.

fergosaurus

It's frightening the possible influence this could have. We've already seen how shitty far-right tabloids like The Sun have influenced people so a TV news channel with similar views would sink this country further into the abyss. I doubt it would be as radical with Andrew Neill working there but it's crap news regardless.

Oldyella

How long will he be working for? 5-10 years max until they draft in someone who will give the right a free ride. Also, he will not be presenting every show.
And let's see how 'right wing he is, in an honest kind of way' if he doesn't have to worry about being on the bbc.

People flapping far too much here. @Jippy is right, it won’t be that popular and will be preaching mostly to the choir.
I wonder if they said the same about fox news early on?

Genuinely find this quite terrifying and I’ve absolutely no doubt it will further the current discourse in the U.K. and push those susceptible people further off the deep end.
Do you really find it terrifying?

There’s a big/massive difference between right leaning and right wing views. Just because it’s a different viewpoint from you, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be heard.

Nothing wrong with different views being represented, and it’s far better to have these views in the mainstream media where they can be critiqued. Otherwise you get more extreme views on the likes of Facebook to pump the same type of content to you and keep you in your own echo chamber.

Remember when the leader of the BNP Nick Griffin finally got airtime on Question Time. It destroyed his credibility and his party.

Tarrou

I guess this sorta thing was inevitable as the influence of the print-media begins to wain in the UK. Which is kind of refreshing in a way, they've set the tone in UK politics for far too long

I don't expect this to be any improvement on the horse-shit served up by the DailyMail at al but we can live in hope I suppose

F-Red

People flapping far too much here. @Jippy is right, it won’t be that popular and will be preaching mostly to the choir.
Exactly, it’ll be an echo chamber channel. Reading this thread, some people think it’s the end of the world, it’ll have no more impact than RT in the news stakes.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do you really find it terrifying?

There’s a big/massive difference between right leaning and right wing views. Just because it’s a different viewpoint from you, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be heard.

Nothing wrong with different views being represented, and it’s far better to have these views in the mainstream media where they can be critiqued. Otherwise you get more extreme views on the likes of Facebook to pump the same type of content to you and keep you in your own echo chamber.

Remember when the leader of the BNP Nick Griffin finally got airtime on Question Time. It destroyed his credibility and his party.
I do. I think any news channel that shows extreme bias one way or the another is dangerous and cannot legally call itself news. People can present the facts and discuss but if a channel is set up to literally only give out viewpoints that benefit who they support then it is not a good thing.

You only need to see how shitty the US is right now with Fox completely ignoring anything bad for Trump and stoking racial tensions. We don’t need any more of that in the U.K.

People can also gain followings as much as they lose them when they are given air time. Nobody hears about Milo Yianoppolous or Katie Hopkins anymore because they were de-platformed. It works.

I do. I think any news channel that shows extreme bias one way or the another is dangerous and cannot legally call itself news. People can present the facts and discuss but if a channel is set up to literally only give out viewpoints that benefit who they support then it is not a good thing.

You only need to see how shitty the US is right now with Fox completely ignoring anything bad for Trump and stoking racial tensions. We don’t need any more of that in the U.K.

People can also gain followings as much as they lose them when they are given air time. Nobody hears about Milo Yianoppolous or Katie Hopkins anymore because they were de-platformed. It works.
So you are making the assumption it will show an extreme bias?

There’s a lot a dramatic views in this thread based on one press release.

Classical Mechanic

Different conditions in the US. They scrapped impartiality laws and that opened ground for partisan TV channels. The UK news output is dominated by the BBC and Sky news. There are tighter regulations here on permissible content and bias. If the Tories defund the BBC and ‘reform’ Ofcom then you’d need to be worried.

Smores

So you are making the assumption it will show an extreme bias?

There’s a lot a dramatic views in this thread based on one press release.
It's hardly an outlandish assumption. We've heard about this coming for months now and all the noises are It's going to be a Toby Young style bollocks speaking for those who for no reason feel oppressed.

Whether it happens or not such movements are what happens at the start of fascism so any steps in that direction are concerning. We've seen with Trump and Brexit that small minority views end up becoming damaging.

This country is about to go through a lot of pain and a lot of anger. That's not a good time for propoganda masked as news.