GB News; UK Right Leaning 24 Hour 'News' Channel

Abizzz

Imagine opening a TV channel 15 years after the start of televisions demise :lol: Proper geniuses these right wingers.

neverdie

I guess this sorta thing was inevitable as the influence of the print-media begins to wain in the UK. Which is kind of refreshing in a way, they've set the tone in UK politics for far too long

I don't expect this to be any improvement on the horse-shit served up by the DailyMail at al but we can live in hope I suppose
Print media still sets the tone. Newpapers have moved online but the vast majority of journalism still takes place under the banner of the same traditional media companies. Television takes its lead and talking points from the papers. The same is true of Twitter feeds. Only they recycle news articles in a way that hides the source.

fergieisold

Read today that Andrew Neil has quit the BBC to help launch GB News. Sounds like it will be the UK version of Fox News. Expect LBC but on television. Rupert Murdoch is apparently planning a similar TV channel.

What those on the Right manage to do very successfully is paint a picture of them being the downtrodden, under represented and mistreated sector of society. The reality is that it is the ideology of the Right that shapes the society we live in.
With most of the print media firmly right of centre, I'm quite worried about these views translating to tv

Anyway, I suppose I'm looking for people's views on this. Obviously I don't think so, but do others feel that their Right leaning views are not represented in the media? How much of a shit show will this channel and others like it be? Will BoJo buck his recent trend and actually appear on this channel?
You could quite easily just swap right for left in that sentence.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I do. I think any news channel that shows extreme bias one way or the another is dangerous and cannot legally call itself news. People can present the facts and discuss but if a channel is set up to literally only give out viewpoints that benefit who they support then it is not a good thing.

You only need to see how shitty the US is right now with Fox completely ignoring anything bad for Trump and stoking racial tensions. We don’t need any more of that in the U.K.

People can also gain followings as much as they lose them when they are given air time. Nobody hears about Milo Yianoppolous or Katie Hopkins anymore because they were de-platformed. It works.
Andrew Neil is a fantastic journalist who puts any politician he interviews under intense scrutiny.
Katie Hopkins shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.
I just find this thread pretty hysterical. People seem to think this channel will be blaring out of big screens and loudspeakers on every street corner. In reality it wil likely be just another rolling news channel hardly anyone watches unless there's a massive breaking news event, eg election results, a disaster etc...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Andrew Neil is a fantastic journalist who puts any politician he interviews under intense scrutiny.
Katie Hopkins shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.
I just find this thread pretty hysterical. People seem to think this channel will be blaring out of big screens and loudspeakers on every street corner. In reality it wil likely be just another rolling news channel hardly anyone watches unless there's a massive breaking news event, eg election results, a disaster etc...
Neil has shifted recently towards the right recently though, at least from what I’ve seen. I don’t debate he’s good at what he does and that’s part of why this is bad imo.

neverdie

Neil has shifted recently towards the right recently though, at least from what I’ve seen. I don’t debate he’s good at what he does and that’s part of why this is bad imo.
I wouldn't say it's a recent shift. He helped launch Murdoch's TV news division and has been a noted member of the right wing commentariat for almost fourty years.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I wouldn't say it's a recent shift. He helped launch Murdoch's TV news division and has been a noted member of the right wing commentariat for almost fourty years.
The reason he has been a good anchor and interviewer is because he seems to treat all politicians with equal contempt tbh.
Has anyone ever really felt he had a discernible political bias when he's been on politics shows?
This thread reminds me of when Al-Jezeera hired a load of well-known journos to launch an English language news service. The red tops were fearing Islamist propaganda being beamed into our homes. This is equally hysterical.

Tarrou

Print media still sets the tone. Newpapers have moved online but the vast majority of journalism still takes place under the banner of the same traditional media companies. Television takes its lead and talking points from the papers. The same is true of Twitter feeds. Only they recycle news articles in a way that hides the source.
Yes i know, my point was its beginning to change

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I wonder what the DUP and other unionists in NI think of the name? ;)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

I wonder how many of us will be in her position in 20 years. I'm sure plenty of people even just on the Caf know some people not far from that now thanks to Facebook.

Dobba

Remember when the leader of the BNP Nick Griffin finally got airtime on Question Time. It destroyed his credibility and his party.
This myth is an absolute crock of shit. They got their best ever political result in the aftermath of this appearance.

Demonstrable bollocks peddled as an excuse for legitimising the bastard and his party in the first place.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's not about a single network but the incremental; the direction.

We can fight our way back into the light. We can climb out of hell. One inch, at a time. The inches we need are everywhere around us. - Mussolini upon being elected to his student council.

Icemav

It's not about a single network but the incremental; the direction.

We can fight our way back into the light. We can climb out of hell. One inch, at a time. The inches we need are everywhere around us. - Mussolini upon being elected to his student council.
I'm pretty sure that was Pacino in Any Given Sunday

This myth is an absolute crock of shit. They got their best ever political result in the aftermath of this appearance.

Demonstrable bollocks peddled as an excuse for legitimising the bastard and his party in the first place.
Due to their performance in the European elections, a representative was invited into question time.

Were you protesting and trying to prevent him appearing?

It was the result of the European election prior to QT where they gained more than 6% of the vote and winning some seats which put them in a place where the BBC felt they should be represented as they were now a major party.

They went on to win less than 2% of the vote at the next general election and didn’t win a seat. QT was clearly the start of the end of the party.

Giving the BNP a platform allowed them to be critiqued in a fair and measured way.
Prior to that you had a proportion of people (we don’t know how big or small) who voted for them without knowing their real motives/ beliefs/views.

Just for absolute clarity, I don’t and have never supported the view of the BNP or any similar parties. It’s sad I have to make that statement, as having a debate on the Caf often leads to ridiculous assumptions.

Having said that, their views should not be suppressed and taken underground into Facebook type echo chambers. Because it’s a stance and an opioniin that’s not mainstream and you don’t agree with doesn’t mean that it should be censored.

I’m a firm believer in freedom of speech and the freedom to debate in the general public.

This thread just shows that too many people want to close down any views that don’t resonate with them. That’s not democracy. You debate, you question and rationalise.

Drifter

American
Suddenly, The Canary may sound more appealing for those looking for an escape.

Abizzz

Due to their performance in the European elections, a representative was invited into question time.

Were you protesting and trying to prevent him appearing?

It was the result of the European election prior to QT where they gained more than 6% of the vote and winning some seats which put them in a place where the BBC felt they should be represented as they were now a major party.

They went on to win less than 2% of the vote at the next general election and didn’t win a seat. QT was clearly the start of the end of the party.

Giving the BNP a platform allowed them to be critiqued in a fair and measured way.
Prior to that you had a proportion of people (we don’t know how big or small) who voted for them without knowing their real motives/ beliefs/views.

Just for absolute clarity, I don’t and have never supported the view of the BNP or any similar parties. It’s sad I have to make that statement, as having a debate on the Caf often leads to ridiculous assumptions.

Having said that, their views should not be suppressed and taken underground into Facebook type echo chambers. Because it’s a stance and an opioniin that’s not mainstream and you don’t agree with doesn’t mean that it should be censored.

I’m a firm believer in freedom of speech and the freedom to debate in the general public.

This thread just shows that too many people want to close down any views that don’t resonate with them. That’s not democracy. You debate, you question and rationalise.
So what's wrong with expressing ones wish that organizations like this that actively make the world a worse place don't come into existence? Surely that's covered by free speech too? After all they will use this very channel to tell us what shouldn't exist and why x is bad.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So what's wrong with expressing ones wish that organizations like this that actively make the world a worse place don't come into existence? Surely that's covered by free speech too? After all they will use this very channel to tell us what shouldn't exist and why x is bad.
Everyone is doing that at the moment.

Everything. You shouldn’t be allowed to think in a different way to me. I’m be sarcastic obviously. Nothing is the answer. Of course object to someone views, challenge them, of course wish there wasn’t such a channel.

However, they should be allowed to have such a channel. As much as I think having a Christian channel is a load of nonsense, I don’t object to there being a platform.

Gehrman

And yet it's the right wingers instantly crying about free speech once they are the topic.
Maybe that's why they are creating a new media outlet. That's completely part of the free press.

Abizzz

Everything. You shouldn’t be allowed to think in a different way to me. I’m be sarcastic obviously. Nothing is the answer. Of course object to someone views, challenge them, of course wish there wasn’t such a channel.

However, they should be allowed to have such a channel. As much as I think having a Christian channel is a load of nonsense, I don’t object to there being a platform.
Ah, sorry, I'm a bit slow this morning. Some say every morning

Maybe that's why they are creating a new media outlet. That's completely part of the free press.
While that may be the case doing so while claiming that their point of view isn't represented in the British media landscape is a thoroughly dishonest start to it's existence.

While that may be the case doing so while claiming that their point of view isn't represented in the British media landscape is a thoroughly dishonest start to it's existence.
It’s a bit like the amusing complaints about the BBC though. People on the left think the BBC represents the right and is biased towards that view. Low and behold those on the right think it’s a left wing media outlet.

If there’s no demand for it, no one will watch it.

Gehrman

I'm not based in the UK so you probably know a lot more about that than I do, but i've grown up with my dad who is a classical rightwinger(not really sure what this means on the caf) and grew up reading his editions of The economist, the finiancial times and the spectator, I don't find them all to be effin idiots tbh. I'm personally a lot more left-leaning but I make an effort to read across all spectrums. Fox news are idiots though, but maybe it's a bit too early to call this the british fox news yet.