GB News; UK Right Leaning 24 Hour 'News' Channel

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's a great strategy. Make the Beeb lean further to the right with their new Tory boss. Have that nutcase as the head of Ofcom. But no matter how far to the right they go it'll be compared to the British version of Fox News.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Read today that Andrew Neil has quit the BBC to help launch GB News. Sounds like it will be the UK version of Fox News. Expect LBC but on television. Rupert Murdoch is apparently planning a similar TV channel.

What those on the Right manage to do very successfully is paint a picture of them being the downtrodden, under represented and mistreated sector of society. The reality is that it is the ideology of the Right that shapes the society we live in.
With most of the print media firmly right of centre, I'm quite worried about these views translating to tv

Anyway, I suppose I'm looking for people's views on this. Obviously I don't think so, but do others feel that their Right leaning views are not represented in the media? How much of a shit show will this channel and others like it be? Will BoJo buck his recent trend and actually appear on this channel?
One thing I would definitely watch would be Andrew Neil having a one to one debate with Boris.
He needs to be exposed to his followers as the liar he undoubtedly is.

Reiver

One thing I would definitely watch would be Andrew Neil having a one to one debate with Boris.
He needs to be exposed to his followers as the liar he undoubtedly is.
Yes, I agree. I don't think Andrew Neil would give him an easy ride. Unfortunately, the pre election campaigning has shown that Boris is a bit of a coward at heart and will avoid any potentially difficult positions if he can.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yes, I agree. I don't think Andrew Neil would give him an easy ride. Unfortunately, the pre election campaigning has shown that Boris is a bit of a coward at heart and will avoid any potentially difficult positions if he can.
Seems like a million years ago when Boris was avoiding interviews with Neil and hiding in fridges.

Reiver

The Spectator can be added to the very long list of right wing news outlets already available.

At what point does the volume of right wing outlets move from reflecting public opinion to influencing it? Because I would say we are way into the "influencing it" section.
I think we've been in this territory for years. How long is debatable. Brexit would be a good example of it, in my opinion anyway.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The Spectator can be added to the very long list of right wing news outlets already available.

At what point does the volume of right wing outlets move from reflecting public opinion to influencing it? Because I would say we are way into the "influencing it" section.
Yeah I know the spectator is right wing. At what point in history did media outlets not influence public opinion? In times of the free press anyway. But yeah if there are too many right wing outlets, there is nothing legally prohibting more left wing outlets as far as I know.

Fluctuation0161

Yeah I know the spectator is right wing. At what point in history did media outlets not influence public opinion? In times of the free press anyway. But yeah if there are too many right wing outlets, there is nothing legally prohibting more left wing outlets as far as I know.
Those with the capital required to invest and setup large media outlets tend to be right wing. That is why we already have the problem with too many right wing outlets. The funding comes from a handful of billionaires who protect their personal interests through media. This has become more of a problem in recent years.

Gehrman

Those with the capital required to invest and setup large media outlets tend to be right wing. That is why we already have the problem with too many right wing outlets. The funding comes from a handful of billionaires who protect their personal interests through media. This has become more of a problem in recent years.
I see your point and agree. Personally I think this seems to be somewhat an perceived reaction to importation of the so called "culture wars" into Britain from the US, "Cancel culture and strict on-going(when does it end?) lockdown measures which are bringing us all into a huge recession and there are probably some who feel that there are double standards that people are fined for organizing a protest against lockdown whilst no one is fined for organized BLM protests. This is just my perception as an outsider. I do not necessarily fully agree with these points.

Gehrman

Personally i've been enjoying listning to Douglas Murray recently about what's been going in the last 6 months. . Also a conservative who writes for the spectator.

I would recommend to listening through the whole thing before slagging him off.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So, by the majority of comments here, let me see if I got it correctly:
For those on the left, who often call themselves liberals, free speech applies only when someone shares the same opinions and views as yours. Otherwise, they should burn.
Did I get it right?

Liberals are right wing in Australia and mid/mid-right in the UK. If you are talking about Liberalism then it isn't even vaguely left wing unless you consider racial and gender equality or human and civil rights left wing concepts https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lib...s a political and,and equality before the law.

And what people are against is weaponising 24hr TV news as saturated propoganda masquerading as news.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Personally i've been enjoying listning to Douglas Murray recently about what's been going in the last 6 months. . Also a conservative who writes for the spectator.

I would recommend to listening through the whole thing before slagging him off.

Not as bad as Boris or Trump but just another posh white bloke telling people not at all like him why they should be grateful and stop complaining.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This will not end well for you.

In India, they did the same thing in copying fox news by starting a new right wing channel called Republic, its much worse than fox and has openly peddled pro govt propaganda and fake news against anyone who raises uncomfortable questions to the govt. It has widened the divisions amongst the society and is a shower of shite that has addicted its viewers.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Liberals are right wing in Australia and mid/mid-right in the UK. If you are talking about Liberalism then it isn't even vaguely left wing unless you consider racial and gender equality or human and civil rights left wing concepts https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism#:~:text=Liberalism is a political and,and equality before the law.

And what people are against is weaponising 24hr TV news as saturated propoganda masquerading as news.
In my experience many people on the right don't know the difference between liberals and leftists.

Andersonson

I can't stand the left and I cant stand the far right. Centre is perfect.

Its to much polarization going on.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I can't stand the NHS or the minimum wage but shovelling corpses into ovens is a little too far to the right for me. Give me the Centre: that Goldilocks happy medium of the bludgeon and castor oil.

Not enough equidistance in our politics today.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
At what point does the lack of balance in UK media become a problem worth addressing? The scales are tipped so far to the right already we are teetering on the edge.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hitler-youths-using-instagram-to-recruit-children-xfgnglklv
‘Hitler youths’ using Instagram to recruit children
Fascist groups led by teenagers are targeting those as young as 12
Propaganda definitely is worth addressing whatever political leaning.
But. Who or what is likely to take that challenge on. The only answer is us.
I stopped buying any newspapers years ago because they were full of made up stories and advertising.
If lots more did that, it would have a significant effect.

fergieisold

That particular article is very centrist. Sums up the situation rather well.

NinjaFletch

That particular article is very centrist. Sums up the situation rather well.
It does, in the sense that some geezer is using his platform to cry about how oppressed his free speech is, massively misrepresent the debate on the left, centre anonymous twitter commentators as reflective of the mainstream, and dismisses things like intersectionality (or as I would call it, basic fecking common sense) because, err, some guy got criticism for a set about it? He might vote Labour or Lib Dem, but in his discussion of those topics it's pretty clear that his opinion on them is formed from right wing think pieces and commentators. It's hardly a smear, it's just the reality.

All of which will somehow be solved by the addition of a new right wing news channel into a media landscape absolutely dominated by right wing news sources which will somehow make everything better?

fergieisold

It does, in the sense that some geezer is using his platform to cry about how oppressed his free speech is, massively misrepresent the debate on the left, centre anonymous twitter commentators as reflective of the mainstream, and dismisses things like intersectionality (or as I would call it, basic fecking common sense) because, err, some guy got criticism for a set about it? He might vote Labour or Lib Dem, but in his discussion of those topics it's pretty clear that his opinion on them is formed from right wing think pieces and commentators. It's hardly a smear, it's just the reality.

All of which will somehow be solved by the addition of a new right wing news channel into a media landscape absolutely dominated by right wing news sources which will somehow make everything better?
it’s an old article so not written in the context of the new channel. I’d say most people in the centre would recognise the ‘you’re a bigot’ ideology of the left while simultaneously understanding the problems on the extreme right. Just because he’s describing some of the rhetoric aimed from the left doesn’t mean it’s right wing.

NinjaFletch

it’s an old article so not written in the context of the new channel. I’d say most people in the centre would recognise the ‘you’re a bigot’ ideology of the left while simultaneously understanding the problems on the extreme right. Just because he’s describing some of the rhetoric aimed from the left doesn’t mean it’s right wing.
It's posted in a thread about this news, so I assume the poster was linking the two!

And I'm sure 'most people in the centre would recognise the ‘you’re a bigot’ ideology of the left', my contention is that the 'centrist' understanding of 'you're a bigot' ideology is largely distorted by the enormous right wing influence on news and media in this country which presents people with an exaggerated pastiche of those arguments, and which people repeat consciously and unconsciously.

fergieisold

It's posted in a thread about this news, so I assume the poster was linking the two!

And I'm sure 'most people in the centre would recognise the ‘you’re a bigot’ ideology of the left', my contention is that the 'centrist' understanding of 'you're a bigot' ideology is largely distorted by the enormous right wing influence on news and media in this country which presents people with an exaggerated pastiche of those arguments, and which people repeat consciously and unconsciously.
I wouldn’t disagree. I still can’t quite get my head around the Information age where we’re exposed constantly to non moderate opinions...two extremes are presented, when out in the real world the vast majority of people are moderate.

Raven

Also, did you know Andrew Neil was named multiple times in Jeffery Epstein's little black book?

Yuck. I hated him before, now I hate him more.

On a serious note, it strikes me that they are creating this channel because the older generation (Tory's main voting bloc) are soon to be boomers who have always consumes their media through television whereas the current lot have always read papers. They're just changing their approach to keep a stranglehold on the older voters.

Gehrman

Also, did you know Andrew Neil was named multiple times in Jeffery Epstein's little black book?

I believe that says Andrew Nell and not Andrew Neil, and the woman on that photo is Sajata Robinson. From the article it's included in from 1995 it's says it from a party on Barbados. However I'm not going to defend him if it turns out i'm wrong, but throwing someone in with accusations of being part of the pedophile ring is pretty severe.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I believe that says Andrew Nell and not Andrew Neil, and the woman on that photo is Sajata Robinson. From the article it's included in from 1995 it's says it from a party on Barbados. However I'm not going to defend him if it turns out i'm wrong, but throwing someone in with accusations of being part of the pedophile ring is pretty severe.
There are uncensored, clearer full-size versions that show the address and email address, which shows it's Neil.

The email address matches other sources of his email address, too.

Gehrman

There are uncensored, clearer full-size versions that show the address and email address, which shows it's Neil.

The email address matches other sources of his email address, too.
Okay, I'm not going to defend him if it's a clear cut case.

Fluctuation0161

Propaganda definitely is worth addressing whatever political leaning.
But. Who or what is likely to take that challenge on. The only answer is us.
I stopped buying any newspapers years ago because they were full of made up stories and advertising.
If lots more did that, it would have a significant effect.
True.

Concerning, I think the recent move, post 2016 ish, to digital marketing/ propaganda tactics used in the Trump election, Brexit referendum and 2019 UK GE, show that swaying public opinion has just got a whole lot more complex and advanced than newspapers though. This will then be reinforced by the likes of GB news no doubt.