Gedson Fernandes - off to Tottenham

Benfica_1904

Supports
Benfica
I am a Benfica fan and he is not ready for United at all. He made a good first season (around 6 months) in the 1st team 2 years ago, after that when he played he played very badly and is very clumsy, he barely gets match time now and was injured during the pre season which didn't help. We are looking to loan/sell him so I really doubt if he can't even be a good rotative player in the portuguese league he would be a good signing for a top club in the PL like United.

Reactions: Sultan

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
From the highlights, he looks very explosive with a great engine. Also has good technique. He looks like he would go well with Fred.

One concern, it seems he likes to hang onto the ball from deep. With all respect, it's the Portuguese league.

I wonder how he would cope under more effective pressure in the PL, seeing as Pogba has struggled at times and he's one of the best dribblers in the world.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would be cautious about these you tube videos. They could do one on me and make me look like a prime Zidane and i have not kicked a ball in six years.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I would be cautious about these you tube videos. They could do one on me and make me look like a prime Zidane and i have not kicked a ball in six years.
Well you've got the same amount of PL assists and goals as Lingard in 2019

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You think we're replacing Pogba with a 20 year old that has little first-team experience?

He's nothing like Pogba. Fernandes is a box to box midfielder (he's also played on the wing) that loves a tackle and will cover insane amounts of distance. He has nowhere near the passing ability of Pogba.

Another midfielder where all the strengths lie off the ball is not what we need.
We have Fred and McTominay for central midfield. That's it. Matic is useless and Pogba is better suited further forward. Having another body as cover/competition for those two positions can't be a bad thing.

Judas

Open to offers
We have Fred and McTominay for central midfield. That's it. Matic is useless and Pogba is better suited further forward. Having another body as cover/competition for those two positions can't be a bad thing.
If he could play more like he did on Saturday more often I'd not class him as useless, but that seemed like a once in a blue moon performance from him to be fair.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can he pass? It's about time we sign some playmakers instead of going for dribbling and/or physicality/hussle

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can't say I have ever seen him play but 23 first team apps and ZERO goals in a tinpot league doesn't excite me at all for a so called attack minded midfielder.

Surely we can do better than this?

RedIan

He certainly looks decent in the video. Whether he could cut in in the prem remains to be seen.

PS - Matic is not useless he is class player on his day. He is in the autumn of his career but can still do a good job. He was superb against Burnley And his calm and experience helps the young players a lot.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Can he pass? It's about time we sign some playmakers instead of going for dribbling and/or physicality/hussle
Doesn't look like it. He looks like a dribbler from deep with an engine. We need cm's so he looks a decent option still.

I agree, we desperately need clever playmakers at the club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What have we got to lose on a loan with the option to buy?
Wages and 4 months of football without the right player if he's no good ???

We've got young talent in the squad in abundance for me. It's senior players who are badly needed.

Hawks2008

In career mode he always ends up at PSG or City and becomes world class so sign him up I say.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Wages and 4 months of football without the right player if he's no good ???

We've got young talent in the squad in abundance for me. It's senior players who are badly needed.
You really think its a good option to pluck someone out of the youth teams to play 90 mins in cm every week?

We're on our knees in midfield. Can't you see?

We've got Fred & Matic currently, Pogba at a push but he should be further ahead really. 3 players.

I agree that senior quality players are needed for the summer, but bodies with little investment until the end of the season can't be bad.

jamesjimmybyrondean

My thoughts exactly. Our problem is with breaking down park the bus teams and we need good passers for that. This guy and Soumare who we've also been linked with won't really help with that because they are not those kind of players. Our midfield targets who are good passers - Phillips, Maddison, Grealish, won't be available on January

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If he could play more like he did on Saturday more often I'd not class him as useless, but that seemed like a once in a blue moon performance from him to be fair.
Burnley don't play through their midfield. Everything is long and over the top so he had very little to do in that defensive role.

Ekeke

You think we're replacing Pogba with a 20 year old that has little first-team experience?

He's nothing like Pogba. Fernandes is a box to box midfielder (he's also played on the wing) that loves a tackle and will cover insane amounts of distance. He has nowhere near the passing ability of Pogba.

Another midfielder where all the strengths lie off the ball is not what we need.
Longterm? Maybe.

We essentially replaced Beckham with Ronaldo with a stopgap in between.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He looks quality on YouTube! :lol:
I’ve never heard of him but we really need more options in midfield. Like others have said though, the Portuguese love to use our name when players are moving.

Tarrou

not sure what everyone is seeing in him, he looks a bit rubbish in that video

I'd be amazed if this was true

JoaquinJoaquin

I am a Benfica fan and he is not ready for United at all. He made a good first season (around 6 months) in the 1st team 2 years ago, after that when he played he played very badly and is very clumsy, he barely gets match time now and was injured during the pre season which didn't help. We are looking to loan/sell him so I really doubt if he can't even be a good rotative player in the portuguese league he would be a good signing for a top club in the PL like United.
Thanks for your post.

crossy1686

career ending
I’d genuinely, honestly like to see someone try and make a Lingard highlights video. I’d be curious to see what they could come up with.
Pictures of him on the bench most likely, or 3 second clips of him receiving the ball, taking a touch then it changes to the next clip before he gives the ball away.