Gedson Fernandes - off to Tottenham

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Weird the report is out for half an hour but couldn't find news about him on the caf, so I made a thread. Unless everyone agrees Sky Sports is a officially a shite source now which makes sense :lol:

"Manchester United are interested in signing Benfica midfielder Gedson Fernandes in the January transfer window.
The 20-year-old is one of a number of players they are looking at ahead of the January transfer window.
He hasn’t featured in Benfica’s last seven games and is thought to have fallen out with Head Coach Bruno Lage.
Representatives of the Portugal international have been in the UK attempting to broker a loan deal with a £34m option to buy with interested parties. His release clause is £102m – but Benfica have conceded they won’t get that kind of money for an out of favour player.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said they will only go into the market if the right player to fit the long term strategy of the club becomes available."

Is he any good?

EDIT - sorry mods I put this in a United thread, should have gone in the transfer forum.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I've had a quick scan on twitter and it appears it's only Sky who are reporting/'breaking' this.. Unless i've missed something?

We need midfielders, so I welcome this.

Anyone know what he's like?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just ignore the AC Milan header :lol:

Seems like one of those players who looks like they never really have full control of the ball

Jonno

Lots of tweets suggesting loan to buy.

This would be a much better option for someone who's never played in the PL.

Jacob

Seems to have good dribbling and close-control, hopefully he can stay composed under pressure.

Jonno

Just ignore the AC Milan header :lol:

Seems like one of those players who looks like they never really have full control of the ball
From watching this video, he is very similar to Pogba in the way he strides through midfield and passes the ball.

Jacob

Seems to have good dribbling and close-control, hopefully he can stay composed under pressure.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Curious to hear the views of any Portugese league followers. Especially given how he's fallen out with the head coach.

izec

Wasnt he hyped up last season? I remember some positive opinions on him here and comparing him to Pogba style wise

peridigm

Curious to hear the views of any Portugese league followers. Especially given how he's fallen out with the head coach.
Fallen out with coach and looking for a move. All of a sudden linked with United. Probably nothing in this. The Portuguese love to manufacture interest in a player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fallen out with coach and looking for a move. All of a sudden linked with United. Probably nothing in this. The Portuguese love to manufacture interest in a player.
That's very true

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is coming from Sky and not the Portuguese media though, unless Sky have just not credited them for the story.

Nickelodeon

He would be a fantastic signing. He's apparently one of the best products coming out of the Benfica youth. An accurate description for his style of play (from twitter scout Zach Lowy) would be:

"A box-to-box midfielder, Gedson combines stamina, fine dribbling & an ease at winning back possession." Obviously, he is still only 20 (21 in a week or so) and is yet to completely proven particularly this season not going as per plan.

But at this point, I would take any CM with both hands.

Obviously, with clubs like Lyon linked, we are the perfect name to be connected to drive up price/speed of process. So, obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ive never seen him play so I can't honestly say I know if he's good or bad.. but that move at :37 is so sexy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be nice to go after some quality passers in midfield (which he does not really seem like he is).

Thiagoal

Has all the hallmarks of Benfica looking to sell and trying to beef up the price by mentioning our name! I’d be worried about his temperament if I were looking to buy him

Good sounding name. Can’t be bothered to watch the clip, so never even seen a YouTube video of the lad, let alone seen him play. Let’s go for it.

gutted if he goes elsewhere, and getting concerned that Woodward has not got this wrapped up already.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Never watched him play, but from the video he looks like a Pogba replacement.

CallyRed

Good sounding name. Can’t be bothered to watch the clip, so never even seen a YouTube video of the lad, let alone seen him play. Let’s go for it.

gutted if he goes elsewhere, and getting concerned that Woodward has not got this wrapped up already.

Redcafe Transfer lingo bingo

JoaquinJoaquin

More similar in style to Pogba rather than the creative outlet we need. If we sign him that would say to me Pogba is gone.

DamoK

Would be a worthwhile punt we need numbers in midfield. I've only seen him once when Benfica played Bayern in the champions league. He scored a great goal just after he came on and looked impressive even though they lost 5-1. They were 3-0 down when he came on though ... Sign him up ha

Holocene

More similar in style to Pogba rather than the creative outlet we need. If we sign him that would say to me Pogba is gone.
You think we're replacing Pogba with a 20 year old that has little first-team experience?

He's nothing like Pogba. Fernandes is a box to box midfielder (he's also played on the wing) that loves a tackle and will cover insane amounts of distance. He has nowhere near the passing ability of Pogba.

Another midfielder where all the strengths lie off the ball is not what we need.

Reactions: Sultan

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We are definitely linked with a Fernandes from Portuguese league every window