General CE Chat

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Anyone who isn't a bot can easily dispel the accusation whilst remaining anonymous though, it's not like the accusation is going to be held against them forever with no way for you to shake off the tag. That's exactly what happens when your account is reported for being fake - twitter gives you a chance to anonymously prove that you are a real person. Even without that, there's plenty of things anyone can do to prove they're a real person behind the account without revealing their real identity.

Also I didn't 'leap' to a conclusion - I looked that the accounts media, I looked at over half of it's tweets & tweets with replies, I looked at who he followed, who followed him and their profiles, I also looked at the source of his tweets to see if he ever tweeted off a phone - and he didn't. (according to twitter 80% of active twitter users access the site via mobile; https://www.statista.com/chart/1520/number-of-monthly-active-twitter-users/ is it not weird that in 3 months he hasn't tweeted from his phone at any given time?)
I didn't just pluck the accusation out of nowhere or for no reason.
No its not weird at all. Neither I nor anyone I know logs into Twitter from their phone. By your own stats that tens of millions of users. Its why I think its counter-productive for you and others to just leap to these conclusions as is happening all the time. You continue to ignore the analyzer that gives just a 10% chance of bot.

Its important to understand what a bot farm actually is and how and why they operate. What is the game they are playing.

A single person can't just create a million fake accounts and press a button to execute them. That would trigger Twitter's filters and alert the admin and get all the fake accounts shut down. There is a limit to the amount of bots that any single employee can run. The more bots a single person runs the greater risk of getting caught. Increasing the number of the bots run requires hiring more employees and consuming more computing/power resources.

The goal of bot networks is NOT to create as many bots as possible and spam more and more bots. That increases risk of getting caught and any bot filled network loses real users.
The goal is actually to create the maximum amount of disruption with the minimal amount of bots.

its more efficient to allow millions of people like yourself to call others bots for spurious, shallow reasons and only focus the actual bot networks on aspects that can achieve the most results (which this case doesn't do).

villain

Hates Beyoncé
No its not weird at all. Neither I nor anyone I know logs into Twitter from their phone. By your own stats that tens of millions of users. Its why I think its counter-productive for you and others to just leap to these conclusions as is happening all the time. You continue to ignore the analyzer that gives just a 10% chance of bot.

Its important to understand what a bot farm actually is and how and why they operate. What is the game they are playing.

A single person can't just create a million fake accounts and press a button to execute them. That would trigger Twitter's filters and alert the admin and get all the fake accounts shut down. There is a limit to the amount of bots that any single employee can run. The more bots a single person runs the greater risk of getting caught. Increasing the number of the bots run requires hiring more employees and consuming more computing/power resources.

The goal of bot networks is NOT to create as many bots as possible and spam more and more bots. That increases risk of getting caught and any bot filled network loses real users.
The goal is actually to create the maximum amount of disruption with the minimal amount of bots.

its more efficient to allow millions of people like yourself to call others bots for spurious, shallow reasons and only focus the actual bot networks on aspects that can achieve the most results (which this case doesn't do).
You or anyone you know is just anecdotal evidence, similarly I don’t know anyone who only tweets from the web and never from their phone.
The statistics from twitter backs up that the overwhelming majority engage with the website via mobile - so while it’s possible, it’s uncommon because we spend so much of our lives on the phone.
Also we’ve said how many times now that we disagree on whether that account was fake - I’m simply saying I didn’t just accuse it of being fake for no reason, I came to the conclusion with some thought, consideration and research beforehand, I didn’t just jump to that conclusion.
So we disagree, that conversation is going around in circles.

I havent said anything about creating as many accounts as possible, I don’t think that was the aim and I never said as such either.
I’m saying that bots can operate under the guise of being like normal users for long periods of time and push their own political agendas - that’s what the twitter CEO continues to say makes it difficult to identify false accounts and introduced the feature to report them for that very reason, and that’s what we saw in the aftermath of 2016. Yes of course there are bot farms that push fake news and gossip, but that’s not the only type of fake accounts that are created.

You think the account is real, I don’t - let’s leave it there since football is about to start. :)

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Ok, this is hardly the thread but I'd only say to you that the problem of bots is real. I think read from pew research that politics is probably not the worst affected by bots.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You or anyone you know is just anecdotal evidence, similarly I don’t know anyone who only tweets from the web and never from their phone. The statistics from twitter backs up that the overwhelming majority engage with the website via mobile - so while it’s possible, it’s uncommon because we spend so much of our lives on the phone.
Also we’ve said how many times now that we disagree on whether that account was fake - I’m simply saying I didn’t just accuse it of being fake for no reason, I came to the conclusion with some thought, consideration and research beforehand, I didn’t just jump to that conclusion.
So we disagree, that conversation is going around in circles.

I havent said anything about creating as many accounts as possible, I don’t think that was the aim and I never said as such either.
I’m saying that bots can operate under the guise of being like normal users for long periods of time and push their own political agendas - that’s what the twitter CEO continues to say makes it difficult to identify false accounts and introduced the feature to report them for that very reason, and that’s what we saw in the aftermath of 2016. Yes of course there are bot farms that push fake news and gossip, but that’s not the only type of fake accounts that are created.

You think the account is real, I don’t - let’s leave it there since football is about to start. :)
For the third time, is the account analyzer Eboue linked "anecdotal evidence" when it concludes there is only a 10% chance of you being right?

1 in 5 people logging in from computer only (which amounts to tens of millions) is far too big to consider it "weird" as you put it. You are quoting data but interpreting it in a bizarre way. 1 in 5 is a minority but its nowhere near strange enough to be suspicious in and of itself.

I was trying to discuss the game theory of how bot networks actually operate since I have come across people that employed them in the past and discussed the issue with people who used bots. They simply don't work the way you are thinking they do.

Ok, this is hardly the thread but I'd only say to you that the problem of bots is real. I think read from pew research that politics is probably not the worst affected by bots.
I never said it wasn't a problem. I simply point out the way villain is looking at the problem is like only noticing the tip of the iceberg and not recognizing the whole thing.

Find that a bit odd. Absolutely everyone that I know logs into Twitter from their phone...most have no other way of logging in.
I bet we are talking about two different age brackets. I am talking about people over the age 35

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I’m talking about people over the age of 33, which virtually equates to your age bracket.
Was just a guess.

Anyway it doesn't change the fact that 1 in 5 equates to tens of millions so its hardly something "weird" or evidence that an account is probably a bot. You can use a VPN on your phone anyway so it really doesn't mean much of anything either way.

freeurmind

weak willed
Great story

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ylum-family-pardoned-netherlands-hague-church

A church service that has been performed continuously for 96 days has come to an end after the Dutch government agreed to pardon a family the pastors were shielding from deportation as part of a wider amnesty.

Sasun Tamrazyan, his wife Anousche and their children Hayarpi, 21, Warduhi, 19, and Seyran, 15, have been holed up in the Bethel church in The Hague since October, relying on a medieval law that says immigration authorities cannot enter while a religious service is being performed.

The family, who have been in the Netherland for nine years, had claimed their lives would be in danger if they returned to Armenia, where Sasun had been a political activist.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
http://glineq.blogspot.com/2019/02/poverty-of-vision-of-liberal.html?m=1

Poverty of vision of “liberal interventionists

... Cabestan is a well-known French scholar of China and Taiwan (teaching at the Baptist University in Hong Kong) and in his most recent book he endeavors to answer the question whether China will evolve towards a liberal democracy, remain where it is now (politically), or become a nationalist dictatorship. Before I tell you what Cabestan’s answer is, let me situate Cabestan politically....

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I remember seeing somewhere that you felt they'd all been shot or hanged
Didn't exactly say all of them did I. They shot the most known ones obviously. Executing all of them would be unfeasible due to the sheer numbers of the cnuts.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Didn't exactly say all of them did I. They shot the most known ones obviously. Executing all of them would be unfeasible due to the sheer numbers of the cnuts.
Now now, don't get tetchy. I must have mistaken what you were saying.

Did individual countries execute Nazi collaborators due to treason after the war? The answer is yes.
Kind of a bit open ended.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not sure which thread to put this in:
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...irts-made-at-exploitative-bangladeshi-factory
'Girl power' charity T-shirts made at exploitative Bangladeshi factory
Over 100 workers claim to have been sacked after protesting about low wages at factory that makes ‘girl power’ T-shirts

The news comes after the Guardian revealed last month that an “outspoken” worker at the same factory claimed she was beaten up on the orders of management and threatened with murder.

The woman, who sat on the factory’s anti-harassment committee, said she was robbed of her severance pay and told that if she protested she would be “killed and her body put in a cardboard box”, according to an FWF report.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
While Trudeau seems to be going down (:lol:), I wouldn't use Ezra Levant as a source...

On September 5, 2012 Levant went on a strident rant about Roma on his show which he tastefully titled "The Jew vs. the Gypsies":

But these are Gypsies! A culture synonymous with swindlers. The phrase 'Gypsy' and 'cheater' have been so interchangeable historically that the word has entered the English language as a verb: 'He gypped me.' Well, the Gypsies have gypped us! Too many have come here as false refugees. And they come here to gyp us again, to rob us blind, as they have done in Europe for centuries.

The rant goes on for around 12 minutes, during which Levant refers to Roma as a "shiftless group of hobos" who are "roving highway gangs that have mocked the law and robbed their way across Europe". Levant screeches about a "gypsy crime wave" while rattling out statistics and individual criminal cases involving Roma, blasts the word "Roma" as being politically correct and a type of "tomato", and says being Roma is a "positive choice" much like being a Blood or a Crip.
It is almost inexplicable how an ardently pro-Israel, Jewish man who is not shy of accusing his critics of anti-semitism has incubated the most anti-semitic media company in Canada. His own employees infamously aired a segment where they referred to the "Jew World Order" and "Jewpapers", and to Levant himself as a "Jewnicorn".

RedTiger

Half mast
While Trudeau seems to be going down (:lol:), I wouldn't use Ezra Levant as a source...

On September 5, 2012 Levant went on a strident rant about Roma on his show which he tastefully titled "The Jew vs. the Gypsies":

But these are Gypsies! A culture synonymous with swindlers. The phrase 'Gypsy' and 'cheater' have been so interchangeable historically that the word has entered the English language as a verb: 'He gypped me.' Well, the Gypsies have gypped us! Too many have come here as false refugees. And they come here to gyp us again, to rob us blind, as they have done in Europe for centuries.

The rant goes on for around 12 minutes, during which Levant refers to Roma as a "shiftless group of hobos" who are "roving highway gangs that have mocked the law and robbed their way across Europe". Levant screeches about a "gypsy crime wave" while rattling out statistics and individual criminal cases involving Roma, blasts the word "Roma" as being politically correct and a type of "tomato", and says being Roma is a "positive choice" much like being a Blood or a Crip.
It is almost inexplicable how an ardently pro-Israel, Jewish man who is not shy of accusing his critics of anti-semitism has incubated the most anti-semitic media company in Canada. His own employees infamously aired a segment where they referred to the "Jew World Order" and "Jewpapers", and to Levant himself as a "Jewnicorn".
That's fecking disgusting. He should have pulled up some Nazi era statistics to really push his point.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
“If”

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
“If”

These fecking Middle Eastern/North African despots.

Won't serve full term if re-elected :confused:, how about just don't stand for re-election in the first place?

For me, that reads as code for I'll spend the term rigging things for my successor or tracking down the people currently protesting. Thats 'if' he is actually telling the truth, which he mostly likely isn't.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
These fecking Middle Eastern/North African despots.
Have you been following what’s happening in Sudan?

The Arab Spring was a bloody mess but it’s so refreshing to see Arab protesters still going out to challenge these dinosaurs.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Have you been following what’s happening in Sudan?

The Arab Spring was a bloody mess but it’s so refreshing to see Arab protesters still going out to challenge these dinosaurs.
I haven't had the chance unfortunately but I hope they manage to bring down Bashir. I saw a few things about them targeting doctors and thats it really. What exactly has been going on?

Agreed. Think that option has been shut off for a while in Egypt unfortunately and I fear the next time there may be far more violent.