General CE Chat

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Can Wall Street help us find the true price of water?

A chronically underpriced commodity starts trading like gold and pork bellies

"With nearly two-thirds of the world's population expected to face water shortages by 2025, water scarcity presents a growing risk for businesses and communities around the world," said McCourt in a release announcing the new market, which it referred to as "liquid and transparent."

"Climate change, droughts, population growth and pollution are likely to make water scarcity issues and pricing a hot topic for years to come," RBC Capital Markets managing director Deane Dray told Bloomberg Green after the CME water market began trading. "We are definitely going to watch how this new water futures contract develops."

But as Diane Dupont, a long-time water economist at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ont., points out, in most cases, the water itself costs nothing for municipal and large industrial users, and that creates problems of its own.

"Typically, they're paying a very low fee," said Dupont, author of Running Through Our Fingers: How Canada Fails to Capture the Value of its Top Asset. "They're not paying the value of the water."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/water-futures-price-1.5866538

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...nt-majority-n1255230?utm_source=pocket-newtab
A viral video forced a wealthy Texas suburb to confront racism. A 'silent majority' fought back.
Southlake is known for its top-ranked public schools. But a heated fight over a diversity plan has some parents questioning their future in the city.

A few selected excerpts.

-- Within days, outraged parents — most of them white — formed a political action committee and began packing school board meetings to voice their strong opposition. Some denounced the diversity plan as “Marxist” and “leftist indoctrination” designed to “fix a problem that doesn’t exist.” The opponents said they, too, wanted all students to feel safe at Carroll, but they argued that the district's plan would instead create “diversity police” and amounted to “reverse racism” against white children. --

--As the fight intensified, Cornish, whose youngest child graduated in 2018, began to think differently about Carroll’s official motto, stamped on T-shirts and yard signs across Southlake.
“Protect the Tradition.”
She started to wonder: What was the tradition her neighbors were fighting to protect? --

-- :mad: Allen West, the Texas GOP chairman, addressed the dispute in August when he was invited to speak at a church near the city. In a video of the speech posted to YouTube, West told the audience that the situation in Southlake follows a pattern of school districts attempting to indoctrinate children with liberal values.
West, who is Black, then offered a suggestion for how to fight back. He told the audience to welcome new residents from out of state with a pecan pie, but then to ask, “Now why are you here?”
And if those new neighbors don't share traditional conservative beliefs about gun rights and tax policy, West advised the audience to respond with seven words: “Go back to where you came from.” --

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The editor of the journal Intelligence approvingly links to an openly Nazi site called Unz, and his journal publishes a lot of research on the links between race and IQ.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
economics is amazing, cant parody it :lol:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0144818820301848

The protracted political dispute between South Korea and Japan over the wartime brothels called "comfort stations" obscures the contractual dynamics involved. These dynamics reflected the straightforward logic of the "credible commitments" so basic to elementary game theory. The brothel owners and potential prostitutes faced a problem: the brothel needed credibly to commit to a contractual structure (i) generous enough to offset the dangers and reputational damage to the prostitute that the job entailed, while (ii) giving the prostitute an incentive to exert effort while working at a harsh job in an unobservable environment.

Realizing that the brothel owners had an incentive to exaggerate their future earnings, the women demanded a large portion of their pay upfront. Realizing that they were headed to the war zone, they demanded a relatively short maximum term. And realizing that the women had an incentive to shirk, the brothel owners demanded a contractual structure that gave women incentives to work hard. To satisfy these superficially contradictory demands, the women and brothels concluded indenture contracts that coupled (i) a large advance with one- or two-year maximum terms, with (ii) an ability for the women to leave early if they generated sufficient revenue.

MrMarcello

FFS, driving at that rate of speed on iced-over freeways. I have no idea if anyone in the two vehicles survived that semi impact.

This is Fort Worth, TX.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
FFS, driving at that rate of speed on iced-over freeways. I have no idea if anyone in the two vehicles survived that semi impact.

This is Fort Worth, TX.

I was going to post this. Utterly insane.

edit - MM, your video is no longer for some reason.

MrMarcello

Guessing the social media that vid was linked to was either removed or share permission denied. Was a vid of a driver going opposite way as all these vehicles and semis began crashing seconds apart. Those semis were moving at a far too high speed on those road conditions, to the point I think they should be criminally charged. And I may be wrong here especially in the physics aspect (can one truly navigate ice at that point?) but why don't semi drivers intentionally veer or jack-knife to avoid killing others? Perhaps the cement barriers prevent much in confined spaces but I'd like to think the driver would elect to at least try to smash the barrier, perhaps break through or roll the semi. We see how military pilots almost always avoid leaving an aircraft near civilian populated areas, instead taking the jet to the ground and sacrificing his/her life to save others. Watching those vids of the semis just barreling in on others pissed me off.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Guessing the social media that vid was linked to was either removed or share permission denied. Was a vid of a driver going opposite way as all these vehicles and semis began crashing seconds apart. Those semis were moving at a far too high speed on those road conditions, to the point I think they should be criminally charged. And I may be wrong here especially in the physics aspect (can one truly navigate ice at that point?) but why don't semi drivers intentionally veer or jack-knife to avoid killing others? Perhaps the cement barriers prevent much in confined spaces but I'd like to think the driver would elect to at least try to smash the barrier, perhaps break through or roll the semi. We see how military pilots almost always avoid leaving an aircraft near civilian populated areas, instead taking the jet to the ground and sacrificing his/her life to save others. Watching those vids of the semis just barreling in on others pissed me off.
Probably because they don't want to die themselves.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Indian man killed by his own rooster during cockfight

A rooster that had been fitted with a knife for an illegal cockfight has killed its owner in southern India.
The bird's owner was impaled in the groin by the knife as the animal tried to escape. The man died on the way to hospital from a loss of blood.
Police are now searching for 15 more people involved in the event, which took place in the village of Lothunur in Telangana state earlier this week.
The animal was held at a police station before being transferred to a farm.
Police said the animal was being readied to take part in a fight when it tried to escape. Its owner attempted to catch it but was struck by the 7cm-long (three inch) knife on the animal's leg during the struggle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56224144

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
the fact-checking notice apparently says "trump did bombings too" which i thought was part of the point of the original post

Fact checking is a co-opted arm of the Democratic party*, and it's worrying how much influence they seem to have on social media.

(*Example 1, 2, 3)

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Knew this was investigated and talked about a lot, didn't know it had pretty much been proven.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Denmark plans to limit 'non-western' residents in disadvantaged areas
Interior ministry’s proposed limit of 30% part of bill to crack down further on poor neighbourhoods

In the bill – a review of existing legislation on combatting “parallel societies” – the interior ministry proposed that the share of residents of “non-western” origin in each neighbourhood be limited to a maximum of 30% within 10 years.

Denmark has for years had one of Europe’s most restrictive immigration policies, which the Social Democratic prime minister, Mette Frederiksen, has continued since coming to power in June 2019.

Until now, the term was used legally to designate any neighbourhood of more than 1,000 people where more than half were of “non-western” origin, and which met at least two of four other criteria.

The four criteria are: more than 40% of residents unemployed; more than 60% of 39-50 year-olds with no upper secondary education; crime rates three times higher than the national average; residents having a gross income 55% lower than the regional average.

In these neighbourhoods, misdemeanours carry double the legal penalties in place elsewhere, and daycare is mandatory for all children over the age of one, or family allowances are withdrawn.
I'd read about this a few years ago, alongwith a report on an island that they are sending refugees to*, saw that the social democrats won the election by moving hard right on immigration, and they are keeping it up. This is the alternative, Steve Bannon approved, model for a socdem rebirth after the failure of Bernie and Corbyn.

*still not reached Australian levels on that though.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Interesting thread, for the Chinese online forum reactions in particular.
I remember reading in Chinese news in the late 00s and early 10s about several violent riots related to land acquisition, pollution, and working conditions, that got a prompt dual response from the govt - repression of the protestors while accepting a chunk of their demands.

Carolina Red

Staff
:lol: Nope they won't. How old are the kids on your team? They might be all the protection you'll need.
High school aged... 16-18.

We’re headed up to Binghamton, NY for a big tournament they host there every year.

I’m driving up separate so I figured I’d take the short drive over to the big city on my way back home.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
High school aged... 16-18.

We’re headed up to Binghamton, NY for a big tournament they host there every year.

I’m driving up separate so I figured I’d take the short drive over to the big city on my way back home.
If you can handle high schoolers you can handle anything :)
Things are getting back to normal here now so it should be worth your while. It'll be even better if it's in the summer. A lot of businesses didn't survive Covid but they are getting replaced really fast. There shouldn't be any boarded up windows by the time you get here.

Carolina Red

Staff
If you can handle high schoolers you can handle anything :)
Things are getting back to normal here now so it should be worth your while. It'll be even better if it's in the summer. A lot of businesses didn't survive Covid but they are getting replaced really fast. There shouldn't be any boarded up windows by the time you get here.
It’ll actually be between Christmas and NYE so even better