General discussion thread

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Le Tissier - both from planet earth - Maldini - both from Eurasia - Maier - both from Europe - Puyol - both from Western Europe - Billy McNeill - Both British - Giggs - both domestic abusers - Greenwood

i'll accept my ban for terrible humour gracefully.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
He’s got no longevity sadly hence why he’s not going to be in the conversation in the future as an all time great.
thats your opinion, plenty of those that dont agree with you so for some he will be up there as an "all time great" what ever that means.

Šjor Bepo

But even the notion that Van Dijk is having a terrible season is hilarious, funny how a lot of fans must discredit a rival player no matter what. Its pretty obvious why they struggle and why Van Dijk isnt at the insane level he was prior to this dip.
They play a very risky style of defending as a team, to make that work all pieces have to pull their weight and currently majority of those pieces are either broken or are just missing. They dont have the legs to do the pressing, Klopp overplayed them and for now they look finished both physically and mentally. Because of no legs opposition have it much easier to get the ball in empty spaces between their midfield and defence and not only that, they often have a lot of time and when that happens your CB can do feck all covering all that space. Van Dijk still manages to do it most often but because they are also regressed on the ball(apart from Thiago) those attacks come way to often so eventually they and he will be broken and whole United fanbase can have a laugh.
Im pretty sure every CB that ever played the game would struggle in his place as well, that doesnt mean he is the best ever or that he is still producing magical levels as before but there is a clear reason to his run of "poor" form.
Just look at the City game where Klopp managed to get them fired up to the level where they went through the running barrier, Van Dijk was back to his best and produced a MOTM performance against best team in the world and new sensation Haaland. Football stopped being individual like before, you defend as a team and attack as a team and if one or two pieces are not pulling their weight whole teams will suffer, including superstars. Is Lewandowski a lesser player this season then he was last? Of course not, its just the whole team is much worse so instead of dominating most games he went out to Europa League.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
But even the notion that Van Dijk is having a terrible season is hilarious, funny how a lot of fans must discredit a rival player no matter what. Its pretty obvious why they struggle and why Van Dijk isnt at the insane level he was prior to this dip.
They play a very risky style of defending as a team, to make that work all pieces have to pull their weight and currently majority of those pieces are either broken or are just missing. They dont have the legs to do the pressing, Klopp overplayed them and for now they look finished both physically and mentally. Because of no legs opposition have it much easier to get the ball in empty spaces between their midfield and defence and not only that, they often have a lot of time and when that happens your CB can do feck all covering all that space. Van Dijk still manages to do it most often but because they are also regressed on the ball(apart from Thiago) those attacks come way to often so eventually they and he will be broken and whole United fanbase can have a laugh.
Im pretty sure every CB that ever played the game would struggle in his place as well, that doesnt mean he is the best ever or that he is still producing magical levels as before but there is a clear reason to his run of "poor" form.
Just look at the City game where Klopp managed to get them fired up to the level where they went through the running barrier, Van Dijk was back to his best and produced a MOTM performance against best team in the world and new sensation Haaland. Football stopped being individual like before, you defend as a team and attack as a team and if one or two pieces are not pulling their weight whole teams will suffer, including superstars. Is Lewandowski a lesser player this season then he was last? Of course not, its just the whole team is much worse so instead of dominating most games he went out to Europa League.
Your argument is in part true however VVD has made a number of errors this season and whilst the team isn’t performing well, and he doesn’t have the protection he once had, that doesn’t legislate for his own poor personal form. This season he’s been far too passive, slow to react and has struggled with his timing. Just ask any Liverpool fan their thoughts and I’m sure they’ll agree.

I’m not sure there’s an argument to suggest he isn’t performing poorly however it seems you feel he isn’t which is understandable given you’re one of his biggest fans.

I will be interested to see how he plays at the World Cup.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I’m not really sure why he’s getting so much flack for the second goal last night. Thiago sells him down the river by leaving his man to chase a ball he can’t win. Which leaves Van Dijk with two men to mark. Meanwhile there are five Liverpool defenders in the box, four of them doing nothing.

Šjor Bepo

Your argument is in part true however VVD has made a number of errors this season and whilst the team isn’t performing well, and he doesn’t have the protection he once had, that doesn’t legislate for his own poor personal form. This season he’s been far too passive, slow to react and has struggled with his timing. Just ask any Liverpool fan their thoughts and I’m sure they’ll agree.

I’m not sure there’s an argument to suggest he isn’t performing poorly however it seems you feel he isn’t which is understandable given you’re one of his biggest fans.

I will be interested to see how he plays at the World Cup.
He was that protection. Still performs better then most would in that situation its just he is put way to often in a terrible position and thats on the team(reasons above). I dont care what a Liverpool fan will tell me as im watching pretty much their every game and have my own eyes. Some situations he could have handle better of course but when you not playing well your confidence goes as well and its a difficult hole to dig yourself out.

Regarding me being a fan, couldnt give a flying feck about Van Dijk tbh, dont have any feelings(good or bad) about the guy, it just irritates me when people scream wolf on every shadow they see and that is happening here. I get the reasoning partly, Lpool fans claimed he was best since Baresi so naturally you need to laugh it out but now United fans are doing the same thing as Lpool fans just on the other side of the coin.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m not really sure why he’s getting so much flack for the second goal last night. Thiago sells him down the river by leaving his man to chase a ball he can’t win. Which leaves Van Dijk with two men to mark. Meanwhile there are five Liverpool defenders in the box, four of them doing nothing.
Granted but he was slow again and passive when the ball came in to that area.

TheReligion

Abusive
He was that protection. Still performs better then most would in that situation its just he is put way to often in a terrible position and thats on the team(reasons above). I dont care what a Liverpool fan will tell me as im watching pretty much their every game and have my own eyes. Some situations he could have handle better of course but when you not playing well your confidence goes as well and its a difficult hole to dig yourself out.

Regarding me being a fan, couldnt give a flying feck about Van Dijk tbh, dont have any feelings(good or bad) about the guy, it just irritates me when people scream wolf on every shadow they see and that is happening here. I get the reasoning partly, Lpool fans claimed he was best since Baresi so naturally you need to laugh it out but now United fans are doing the same thing as Lpool fans just on the other side of the coin.
Re the bold; of course. That’s what the all time greats do though (and he may well do this himself)

Ultimately VVD has been hyped up by fans and pundits alike to this status as being one of the best CBs of all time. He clearly isn’t. That’s not to say he’s not a good player, just that’s his not that very top tier.

Šjor Bepo

Doing a vid for Van Basten so going through footage and Rijkaard looks like a proper mess in the 86/87 season. Johnny Bosman looks class on the other hand :drool:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Bosman was a good player, probably never got quite his dues because he just wasn’t Van Basten.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
His dribbling at 35 is still amazing, one in billion player.
He’s also the reason why I don’t sleep at 2am in Thailand, a real goat.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Hi lads,

This is a goodbye message. For the past few months, I have been dealing with some severe depression due to a lot of personal issues, messed up work life and broken relationships but I am tired now. Drafting and discussing football with you guys has been one of things that kept my mind off things and gave me some minute pleasure in the face of difficulties I never thought I would face. Thank you for the good times. Might sound dumb, but I think this is one of the only two things I enjoyed apart from spending time with my son. Probably why I loved to comment on games as soon as they were up.

Kindly do me the needful and dont respond to this or DM me, I won't be logging in anyways beyond this point. Just wanted to say bye and say I am grateful.

Goodbye and good luck.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Hi lads,

This is a goodbye message. For the past few months, I have been dealing with some severe depression due to a lot of personal issues, messed up work life and broken relationships but I am tired now. Drafting and discussing football with you guys has been one of things that kept my mind off things and gave me some minute pleasure in the face of difficulties I never thought I would face. Thank you for the good times. Might sound dumb, but I think this is one of the only two things I enjoyed apart from spending time with my son. Probably why I loved to comment on games as soon as they were up.

Kindly do me the needful and dont respond to this or DM me, I won't be logging in anyways beyond this point. Just wanted to say bye and say I am grateful.

Goodbye and good luck.
You won't see it but if you'll log in at any point forward do know that we think of you and you can talk to us not only about drafts if you want to.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah, but you did write it, meaning you wanted we see it. Am sorry for being a prick, ironically went through something similiar in my life.

Football and draft in general is a good thing (there are much worse habits believe me). Wish you all the best and to come back.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Have to clear this a bit because I had suggestion that I was a bit harsh.

Yeah, but you did write it, meaning you wanted we see it.
This was not criticism at all, nor was that my intention. Parents of my former girlfriend had depression and they didn't even wanted to talk or get up from bed. The fact that you did come with this might be good because although you don't think this atm, it could meen opening up or talking would actually help you. Like a subconscious call for help in a way. That was honestly my first thought.

Am sorry for being a prick, ironically went through something similiar in my life.
Am sorry for being a prick in general to you, not with this post.

If you do open up you probably won't do it to me (although, as I say seen many similarities in that post in my last year or two). You can listen to harms and talk with him. Am sure he had a horrible last year as well and he is well, good and smart man. Or to anyone around you.

Hope you do read this, hope you do come back, but most importantly that you will be ok.

Your prick, Jim.

harms

Staff
Wow, what's the theme: Northern countries on the left?
"The three versus The Six"

Back in 1973 the UK’s relationship with the rest of Europe couldn’t have been stronger, the UK along with Ireland and Denmark had just joined the EU or the EEC (European Economic Community) as it was known then.

To celebrate these three nations joining the EEC, an international soccer match pitting these new members against the six original members Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and West Germany was organised

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hi lads,

Goodbye and good luck.
Well this explains a lot, you have an excuse for being a prick most of the time.
Jokes aside, I hope things are better for you wherever and whatever you are doing now.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
For Athletic subscribers who hadn't seen it so far (like me), there's a beautiful Michael Cox tribute to Pelé from about a week ago.

Nothing exactly new, but a well-crafted hype piece for, as the title rightfully goes, "the greatest player in World Cup history".

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Recently i've been interested seeing how many goals various players scored per season when taking out penalties. What stats site would be the most comprehensively accurate for this for older 80s-90s greats? i've been using transfermarkt so far, which seems sufficient for most of the big leagues and teams, but was wondering if there is a better alternative.

harms

Staff
Recently i've been interested seeing how many goals various players scored per season when taking out penalties. What stats site would be the most comprehensively accurate for this for older 80s-90s greats? i've been using transfermarkt so far, which seems sufficient for most of the big leagues and teams, but was wondering if there is a better alternative.
https://www.bdfutbol.com/en/index.html is easier to use

Especially lists like these
https://www.bdfutbol.com/en/c/rankingGPenIta1.html

Šjor Bepo

You'll like this one @Šjor Bepo . Paddy Crerand assaulting a Derby player with what has to have been a bowling ball, judging by that fall. The referee's attire looks interesting too, like some sort of jersey/shellsuit jacket combo :drool:

Paddy :drool: