General discussion thread

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I can't post in the new drafts thread so posting here.

I didn't find any of thew new ideas that interesting.

Really want to play a good super fun draft as am off work for a month.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Moved from the match compilations thread.
Not sure if you're just talking about defenders here Synco, but unfortunately i don't think passing standards had risen everywhere though, i'd argue they've actually declined over the last 10-15 years in some of the non-elite national teams. Especially for eastern european teams that used to produce a good amount of technically proficient midfielders like Russia, Romania, Serbia, Czechia, Slovakia, Bulgaria. Most of the time up until sometime in the '00s those teams used to be very neat and tidy in passing technique and in buildup/overall team passing setups even if they didn't have the depth/quality i other areas throughout the entire side to avoid often playing on the counter against the bigger teams, but when i watch any play now it's rare they show much invention in team passing or are even technically able to string 5-10 passes together with any regularity.

Croatia have avoided it after looking like they were going the same way during the early-mid 00s and Hungary seem to be finally improving again recently, especially technically, yet overall it's not a good time to follow football in the region if you value good technical football.
Interesting perspective, cheers. It's a bit of a pity, as there were really cool technical Eastern European teams throughout the last few decades. Do you think appropriate measures are taken nowadays to turn it around?

I was watching a number of Serie A/CL games from around 2010 recently. It's mainly an observational thing, no deeper research behind it. Also limited to top level football. But in these games, the general attitude towards ball retention and risk management seemed about halfway between earlier hit-and-miss football and today's increased focus on possession style elements (not only) in top clubs. For example, the inclination towards low % long balls and keeper punts was much stronger than I expected.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Probably the best Gullit compilation up to date. What a player :drool:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Moved from the match compilations thread.

Interesting perspective, cheers. It's a bit of a pity, as there were really cool technical Eastern European teams throughout the last few decades. Do you think appropriate measures are taken nowadays to turn it around?

I was watching a number of Serie A/CL games from around 2010 recently. It's mainly an observational thing, no deeper research behind it. Also limited to top level football. But in these games, the general attitude towards ball retention and risk management seemed about halfway between earlier hit-and-miss football and today's increased focus on possession style elements (not only) in top clubs. For example, the inclination towards low % long balls and keeper punts was much stronger than I expected.
I don't know enough to say for sure about what initiatives are taking place in a lot of those countries. From what i can see of them in terms of general political state i'd guess not much. In Russia there's been media backlash over the pitiful European results of the last two seasons ( only one non-qualifying stage win so far this season) but i doubt anything will come of it.

The strategy for most just seems to be to make sure they have a steady enough stream of young talent going to the top 4-5 leagues to fully develop and others like Eredivisie that are well scouting stepping stones. In fairness for the smaller nations that was probably the realistic endgame anyway. The idea of a sub 20 million nation emerging with a school of football strong enough to become a contender through purely homegrown players, like the old danube school with Austria and Hungary, then later the Netherlands did seems to be a thing of the past in football for a long time now.

GodShaveTheQueen

I really like that he included a lot from his time as a defender and showcased his long passing etc. as well as the usual goalscoring/dribbling/headers etc.
Yea, that was indeed a great watch.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Unarguable shouts all round @Synco - dead drafters society brought us through the grimmest part of lockdown, Jim endearingly merits his crown, while harms is the new invictus/brwned.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Unarguable shouts all round @Synco - dead drafters society brought us through the grimmest part of lockdown, Jim endearingly merits his crown, while harms is the new invictus/brwned.
Cheers, it's a good opportunity for some shoutouts. I'd love to revive the Dead Drafters btw, I'm sure I have time to watch stuff during the next two weeks.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Cheers, it's a good opportunity for some shoutouts. I'd love to revive the Dead Drafters btw, I'm sure I have time to watch stuff during the next two weeks.
It also crossed my mind to suggest we go on with it as it was very enjoyable.
The problem is that there are probably too many games as it is atm, so don't think people will be that interested.

On the other side, I would personally rather spend the evening looking at some good old match when I have time then most of the current ones in the empty stadium. So, maybe we can try to revive it and go with 1 match per week.

What the founder thinks? @Šjor Bepo?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
On the other side, I would personally rather spend the evening looking at some good old match when I have time then most of the current ones in the empty stadium.
Absolutely.

Would be cool if we started where we stopped, I remember it was @Raees' pick of the 1970 final BRA-ENG 1970.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
id be up for it if people will participate and post in the thread, the reason we stopped is cause everyone stopped commenting on the game and without that its a bit pointless

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Let's try one game and see how it goes.

Proposal: 1970 WC final, either Tuesday or Wednesday evening.

(Edit: Wasn't the final, but England-Brazil)

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
He activity here has been a bit down recently. Is there any chance @Invictus @harms that the finals of drafts could go in the main football forum? It would be one thread in like 6 weeks or so, so definitely wouldn't clutter it and it might bring some new blood this way. Plus an occasion thread in the mains might be if interest to many posters. This sub forum isn't the easiest the find.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He activity here has been a bit down recently. Is there any chance @Invictus @harms that the finals of drafts could go in the main football forum? It would be one thread in like 6 weeks or so, so definitely wouldn't clutter it and it might bring some new blood this way. Plus an occasion thread in the mains might be if interest to many posters. This sub forum isn't the easiest the find.
Erm, do I have your permission to quote this post in Caf headquarters? Like, just to see what the admins make of it — a fairly reasonable request in my opinion, but the higher-ups need to be consulted for broader picture stuff, you know. :)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Erm, do I have your permission to quote this post in Caf headquarters? Like, just to see what the admins make of it — a fairly reasonable request in my opinion, but the higher-ups need to be consulted for broader picture stuff, you know. :)
Yup, go for it

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@Physiocrat: sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the higher-ups are not in favor of the suggestion/request — as this sub-forum was explicitly set up to act as a containment zone for everything related to drafts. Any other ideas for increasing the participation and overall engagement, anything I can help you all with? Have you considered reviving Newbie drafts, and using them as a sort of organic recruitment pipeline — if my memory serves me right, Indnyc, BIG DUNK, Himannv, Zlatan 7, et cetera rose through the ranks that way and are now permanent fixtures.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Physiocrat: sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the higher-ups are not in favor of the suggestion/request — as this sub-forum was explicitly set up to act as a containment zone for everything related to drafts. Any other ideas for increasing the participation and overall engagement, anything I can help you all with? Have you considered reviving Newbie drafts, and using them as a sort of organic recruitment pipeline — if my memory serves me right, Indnyc, BIG DUNK, Himannv, Zlatan 7, et cetera rose through the ranks that way and are now permanent fixtures.
Thanks for trying. I'll have a think about the Newbie draft stuff.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I tried running a newbie draft a year or so ago and there was hardly any traction. I don't mind helping out if you do run one with them though.
What type of draft did you run? What was the pool?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Has someone watched the Pelé movie on Netflix (link)? Don't have a subscription myself.

There's also a review on The Athletic, including a short interview with the filmmakers. It's behind a paywall, I'll just quote this sentence:
You cannot turn a corner of the internet without bumping into some moron claiming he scored half of his goals against pub teams.
So true :lol:

GodShaveTheQueen

Has someone watched the Pelé movie on Netflix (link)? Don't have a subscription myself.

There's also a review on The Athletic, including a short interview with the filmmakers. It's behind a paywall, I'll just quote this sentence:

Just noticed it a couple of days ago. Plan to watch it soon.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh, they’ve released it? I wanted to check it out. Judging by review it won’t provide any significant insight for those who already know his story, but who cares, I’m sure that they’ve secured some HD footage :drool:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Oh, they’ve released it? I wanted to check it out. Judging by review it won’t provide any significant insight for those who already know his story, but who cares, I’m sure that they’ve secured some HD footage :drool:
My thinking as well. What's interesting though is that, besides football, they also seem to focus on Pelé's superstardom in context of general developments in Brazil at that time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Bang on. It's such shit banter as well - the same joke getting repeated comment after comment - and has become more of a myth than anything Pele has claimed himself.

Planning to watch it at the weekend.