General discussion thread

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lerby & Koeman :drool:

Also, Eredivisie's YouTube initiatives are so great, they're uploading an insane amount of historical footage through their channels.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Another gazza fanboy, boss knows.

Šjor Bepo

in 90% of the cases the more you watch a player from previous era the more he leans towards the overrated category, specially the lot from the 90s but feck me one guy is everything everyone thinks he is + more, Fernando fecking Redondo:drool:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

90% overrated from any previous era? C'mon that just sounds like a lazy way to downplay most players and handily really overglorify a few favourites, even allowing for over the top florid descriptions of older players in historical books etc..

I find lots to like in all the decades we've got plenty of footage for when just looking at individual players, though often the poor overall quality of a lot of 50s and some 60s footage can make things hard to properly analyse.

Šjor Bepo

90% overrated from any previous era? C'mon that just sounds like a lazy way to downplay most players and handily really overglorify a few favourites, even allowing for over the top florid descriptions of older players in historical books etc..

I find lots to like in all the decades we've got plenty of footage for when just looking at individual players, though often the poor overall quality of a lot of 50s and some 60s footage can make things hard to properly analyse.
Meant in drafts and specially compared to modern players. Best example i have is Suker and Lukaku, both fairly similar and around the same level but the person that will laugh at Lukaku for being a donkey, turd or what ever you like to call him in most cases will see Suker as a "great" striker.
Also and this is the most important bit, just because you are overrated it doesnt mean you were not great.

harms

Staff
Nah, there are tons of players that positively surprised me with their performances. I don’t think that I would be as interested in football history if that was the case.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Nah, there are tons of players that positively surprised me with their performances. I don’t think that I would be as interested in football history if that was the case.
Any ones that stand out?

harms

Staff
Any ones that stand out?
Finney, Voronin, Seeler, Elkjær, Lerby, Litmanen, Figueroa, van Hanegem, Rensenbrink, McGrath — and the list goes on and on. Unsurprisingly most of those had been quite rightly elevated in their draft status over the last years as most of the above-mentioned players got a significant amount of videos made about them.

Some of those players I knew about, but never understood just how good they were (like Voronin, I didn’t expect him to be one of the best defensive midfielders of all-time, which is how I see him now), about some of the players I barely played even heard about before diving into the whole drafting thing, like Lerby, Bochini etc.

Šjor Bepo

I think its just expectesions where i see the problem, because i agree with your post and there are shitloads of players that impressed me(not just a hand picked bunch like demya suggested) but im here mostly talking about draft regulars who are often seen like absolute supermans in drafts when reality is that the differences between them and others are very small.

I often get impressed more by some forgotten players then the glorified ones. Latest example are fullbacks from Barca/Real. Both Carlos and Panucci have great reputations(specially Bobby) but in this mini series of el clasicos i done Albert Ferrer was easily the best fullback in every game. Im not saying he is better overall but given nobody gives a feck about him and would be seen almost as a sheep compared to Carlos who gets a pass even in as a one flank guy i think the gap between the two is way to big therefor the overrated comment.

Reckon thats the thing with the overrated label, people always assume you dont rate those players. You can have Pele for example as the ultimate GOAT and an overrated player in the same time.

harms

Staff
The difference between draft regulars and players that are not much worse but weren’t as lucky with the attention in our little community is a big issue. Unless you do an incredible job on selling him, fielding someone new is usually seen as fielding a sheep.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I’d say those gaps in perception are partly driven by our own drafts. As we use much the same pool of players, it becomes very stratified within that pool, and if you’re not part of that inner pool, you’ll be seen as a relative sheep. The differences in quality are rarely that pronounced, but as voters having to decide all the time within the same pool, it forces us to create clearly distinct tiers.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Meant in drafts and specially compared to modern players. Best example i have is Suker and Lukaku, both fairly similar and around the same level but the person that will laugh at Lukaku for being a donkey, turd or what ever you like to call him in most cases will see Suker as a "great" striker.
Also and this is the most important bit, just because you are overrated it doesnt mean you were not great.
yeah that's fair enough, sorry for being a bit of a dick. Been having some real life stresses right now that are wearing at me.

I couldn't say much about Suker and Lukaku comparison, isn't the more exaggerated disdain for Lukaku mostly a United supporter disappointed he didn't work out here thing?. I've not paid much attention to how he's rated overall.

Šjor Bepo

yeah that's fair enough, sorry for being a bit of a dick. Been having some real life stresses right now that are wearing at me.

I couldn't say much about Suker and Lukaku comparison, isn't the more exaggerated disdain for Lukaku mostly a United supporter disappointed he didn't work out here thing?. I've not paid much attention to how he's rated overall.
nah mane, your response was okay it was my original lazy comment that was problematic. As for Big Rom, id say most football fans will have the same reactions as he really is a donkey :D some people were posting opinions from Inter forums and it was pretty much the same things United fans were saying while he was here.
Hope real life issues get sorted soon and one day we get you playing drafts! Would be a great addition.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Super League draft

1. Initial squad of 13 players
2. 13 players to be picked from the 13 super league clubs
3. The player you pick from a super league club should not have played for any of the other super clubs.

Reinforcements - you can drop a player and pick one from that club as long as you satisfy the above criteria

@Edgar Allan Pillow

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
What are the players that are considered a must have at each position if you want to make sure to win the tournament ? I wonder who is rated highly over here.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Edgar Allan Pillow
Not sure if you still want to post something on Kubala, but if so, now would be a great time. I guess I'll rank him quite high on reputation, but (as with others) it's mostly guesswork. Will perhaps watch the game against Germany if I have time, but some more info would be nice, especially on his peak years.

Has anyone done writeups on Zizinho, Moreno, Pedernera in the past?

harms

Staff
I think we've discussed Flohe recently on here? Spotted this banner in the game that I was watching :lol:
(The Emperor* is dead, long live King Flohe!)

*Beckenbauer obviously.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
@Edgar Allan Pillow
Not sure if you still want to post something on Kubala, but if so, now would be a great time. I guess I'll rank him quite high on reputation, but (as with others) it's mostly guesswork. Will perhaps watch the game against Germany if I have time, but some more info would be nice, especially on his peak years.

Has anyone done writeups on Zizinho, Moreno, Pedernera in the past?
Not a proper, self-contained write-up but I picked Moreno and Pedernera (and their contemporary Antonio Sastre) in an old draft, and posted various bits and pieces that I found on them in these two threads:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-4-way-draft-r1-moby-vs-pat.431753/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-4-way-draft-qf-pat-vs-tuppet.431861/

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
After going through some footage for the list - anyone else thinking Law would make for a devastating wide forward nowadays?

harms

Staff
Some exquisite tricks by Jacques "Jacky" Simon. Never heard of him, not even once, looks like a properly wasted talent.

Šjor Bepo

is anyone actually surprised? Moron as a player, moron as a coach.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
:lol: Total dinosaur. He wasn't alone, I think there were a few twats who didn't fancy Bergkamp's chances of settling in England. Beggars belief that Pscyho managed to get the under-21 England and the Olympic jobs.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
In his defence, I could see why you might think Bergkamp wouldn't fit in the Premier League of the 1990s given the physicality and pace. Obviously completely different players but Veron failed to hit the heights of his Lazio form here and that's when he'd been brilliant in Italy whereas Bergkamp had been below par.

All that said, Stan Collymore was always an average player

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In his defence, I could see why you might think Bergkamp wouldn't fit in the Premier League of the 1990s given the physicality and pace. Obviously completely different players but Veron failed to hit the heights of his Lazio form here and that's when he'd been brilliant in Italy whereas Bergkamp had been below par.

All that said, Stan Collymore was always an average player
Aye to be fair the jury was probably out on Bergkamp at the time given he failed in Italy which was always the acid test for any aspiring player in the 1990s. As much as he is primarily a technical player though, he always had a physical side, could lead the line by himself, and showed he could dismantle the best English defenders by scoring in both games as Holland knocked out England from qualifying for the World Cup.

harms

Staff

Stuart Pearce at his insightful best after Bergkamp's 4th league match for Arsenal :wenger:. You might like this @oneniltothearsenal .
What would be the ultimate "alternative" XI? If we include those hypothetical comparisons as well as cases that really happened.

Stan Collymore for Dennis Bergkamp
Tim Sherwood for Zinedine Zidane
Gareth Barry for Xabi Alonso

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
What would be the ultimate "alternative" XI? If we include those hypothetical comparisons as well as cases that really happened.

:lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

I'll give this more thought but first one that came to mind was David Hirst for Eric Cantona :nervous: .

harms

Staff
Doesn't really fit in as a manager was actually right, but this blast from the past that got recommended to me by YouTube is a good continuation of this Collymore-Sherwood line :lol:

That cheeky o-oh at 0:09 :lol:

harms

Staff
22 years old Jimmy Greaves scoring 4 goals against Forrest. The last one was really lovely. By the way, I highly recommend all of you to subscribe to this channel, I don't know where he gets them but he regularly posts extended highlights from English league & NT games from the 50's & 60's, including those that I haven't seen anywhere. The only thing that is mildly annoying is his comic sans watermark :o