General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Canvassing is fine

Taking people's details down, checking to see if they have voted, and if not, going round their house to "ask nicely that they please vote like they said they would".

Sketchy

How many... "not strong" people would just say "yes I'm voting for you", "yes here is my poll card number," "yes I'll go vote now".

Seems wrong
It's getting out the vote and it helps left parties because their vote is historically lower propensity. It's been going on for decades, if our politics is now so mean spirited that you can't do that kind of thing then it's a pretty shocking state of affairs.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's getting out the vote and it helps left parties because their vote is historically lower propensity. It's been going on for decades, if our politics is now so mean spirited that you can't do that kind of thing then it's a pretty shocking state of affairs.
Just seems wrong. I half knew this happened, but it seems wrong.

If people aren't going to vote for you under their own volition, maybe they don't want to vote for you.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Exept they won't be exactly the same, because they're politically very different. The idea that 'they're all the same' is not actually true. Blair seemed similar to the Tories because he ran on a centrist platform and then the Tories moved to the centre to compete. During that period they were indeed very similar. Now the Tories are back on the right, Labour is back on the left, and they're nothing like each other.
This is frustratingly true, which leaves me as a centrist disappointed, but still taking an economic stance to support Conservatives as truly believe they are better at getting and winning business and controlling spiralling costs and interest payments. I e. Conservatives are more like CEOs, Labour are more like the Secretary in charge of the Xmas budget, will always look for a way to squeeze a few more budgets just to make everyone at the party happy, but then wonders why there is no Xmas party the next year!

Abizzz

Don't underestimate the game! My guess is Conservatives are going full attack to see what Brexit they could get. This keeps the brexiters happy, remember that was the vote. Once those negotiations happen then either a) a brexit deal actually looks quite good so would actually make even remainders happy or b) it looks shockingly bad, at which point no one could begrudge them for pulling out.

It's as win win as you can get in their position.
In my reading of things that would pretty much guarantee no deal. No one could begrudge them for pulling out, but that changes nothing about the consequences of no deal for the UK, for which they will have to take responsibility.

It's a lose-lose, if anything.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Does sound very odd, i wouldn't provide that information to someone. Especially now i know it helps them canvass.

Also i thought you weren't allowed any political flyers, rosettes or anything identifying political party support at the polling station?
I've been a teller and I always wore my rosette. It's a very long-standing way of identifying who's not voted, and no-one's obliged to give any info to the tellers - although a lot of people seem to think it's something official.

Used to be that the Tory and Labour ones wouldn't help each other, now they often sit side by side and share info!

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
In my reading of things that would pretty much guarantee no deal. No one could begrudge them for pulling out, but that changes nothing about the consequences of no deal for the UK, for which they will have to take responsibility.

It's a lose-lose, if anything.
The lose lose would be down to those who voted exit. No one else can shoulder that blame. Even Cameron who took a gamble by having the vote was only doing what the will of the people were pressing for. There becomes a time these things can't be ignored.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
This is frustratingly true, which leaves me as a centrist disappointed, but still taking an economic stance to support Conservatives as truly believe they are better at getting and winning business and controlling spiralling costs and interest payments. I e. Conservatives are more like CEOs, Labour are more like the Secretary in charge of the Xmas budget, will always look for a way to squeeze a few more budgets just to make everyone at the party happy, but then wonders why there is no Xmas party the next year!
I see it more as Labour are the guys who've been running a firm for decades having come up from the shop floor. They know what is needed lower down in the business, and that just focusing on profit alone would ruin productivity. The Tories are the shiny consultant brought in to maximize profits, who fires the most expensive workers and hires cheap replacements (while cutting all the worker facilities) and then then can't work out why the company starts performing badly.

Smores

I've been a teller and I always wore my rosette. It's a very long-standing way of identifying who's not voted, and no-one's obliged to give any info to the tellers - although a lot of people seem to think it's something official.

Used to be that the Tory and Labour ones wouldn't help each other, now they often sit side by side and share info!
Do you have to stay outside or is just a myth you're not allowed to display them?

Its an odd thing but sharing data with strangers feels wrong :lol:

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I see it more as Labour are the guys who've been running a firm for decades having come up from the shop floor. They know what is needed lower down in the business, and that just focusing on profit alone would ruin productivity. The Tories are the shiny consultant brought in to maximize profits, who fires the most expensive workers and hires cheap replacements (while cutting all the worker facilities) and then then can't work out why the company starts performing badly.
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle! Inefficiencies will often be developed in the path for efficiencies. I've seen the same in many businesses.

The problem is if you focus too much on the shop floor you try to make too many people happy and unfortunately there are just too many mouths to feed so you empty the slush fund pretty quickly and go down together like the titanic.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
That's how every election goes down. How old are you, out of curiosity?

It seems this year will have the highest turnout ever. That can only be a good thing for labour.
27. Been as apathetic as possible to politics until the last two years or so.

There is so many interesting questions here.

Why was this your first time voting?

Why are you voting now?

Who did you vote for?

What do you know of the electoral system? Ho would you like it to be?
First time voting because I've never paid much attention before. My constituency has been a Labour seat going as far back as records started and it'll always be a Labour seat so I never really thought it matter that much before.

Corbyn seems alright to me, certainly one of very few politicians I can stand to listen to, he's a move away from a Blairite Labour and I believe he's had a rough deal in the media because he doesn't represent the 1%. I agree with some of the stuff he's put forward, certainly for us younger folk (albeit maybe at 27 I don't count as younger anymore) for the Labour party so that's part of the reason I voted for him but honestly, it's my huge dislike and distaste for Theresa May and the Tory party that got me out there voting. I don't want another 5 years of them and Labour have the only chance of defeating them.

I didn't know too much about the electoral system other than it's FPTP. And even though, I'm not truly sure what that means and whether it's better than proportional representation or not.

I'm not too sure what I expected. I knew there'd be a section for voting on your local MP but somehow I expected there to be the main section about which party you were voting for full stop to lead the country. Just a surprise that's all. I'd read about the local MP's and what they wanted to do so I was always going to vote the way I did but I suppose you never know what you can expect if you've never done it before.

As an aside, my first actual vote was in the referendum last year where I voted to remain.

As for how I'd like it to be, I'm not well versed enough to know which the best system is for our country. First past the post, proportional, etc. Would/will do more research on it all. I'm glad we still use paper and a pen/pencil so that technically they can't hack our votes, albeit they could just rub out the pencil and cross something else. I certainly wouldn't have online voting because that'd be so easy to corrupt but that would probably be how you get young people to vote more.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
For those worried about whether the youth are turning out... it seems alot of them are voting from their university polling booths?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Competition closed - will post link to spreadsheet once I duplicate entries.

Smores

The youth should just hang outside the polling areas, scare the old folk off with their noisy music

Honest John

Yeah, people on zero hours contracts or interns who are paid such shit wages you also need benefits or even foodbank handouts in order to survive, just give the Tories time. Stop with your pie-in-the-fecking-sky nonsense about being paid a wage that means you can live rather than just survive, they'll get around to fixing it eventually. Luckily there is absolutely no big political decisions just around the corner that might put your genuine concerns down the pecking order.

'Honest' John. It's like a George Orwell wet dream :lol:
Zero hours contracts are not bad always. Mcdonalds now employs 150,000 people. The offered all staff a move to permanent contracts and only 20% took it up. It depends on circumstance. Zero hours suits some people.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I'm not going to comment on the rest because they are your views but what I can offer, from my experience in the NHS, is that the above is a poor and flawed judgment on the situation. It certainly isn't "sensible".

Waiting times in A&E, waiting times to be seen after your referral, operation cancellations, available beds, nursing and doctor staffing and many, many more critical aspects are at their worst levels in most of our lifetimes across the board.

The NHS will forever need more funding, it's the nature of the beast. The older we live, the more reliance we have on the service and the more expense we therefore require. But to dismiss the Conservatives actions and decision making on the way to this crisis is an inherently flawed judgment that requires people to speak against that.

Nobody is saying Labour will get it right but they're promising to do a damn sight more in trying to fix things than any recent Conservative government has.

I suspect you'll be the first person to criticise the NHS when they can't deal with a problem that you will inevitably have in life at some point. Instead of getting angry at the staff, the process and the results, remember that you voted to maintain the status quo and against a party trying to lead on accountable change and improvement.
And your justification is why the whole government process is inherently flawed. It's always about the here and now. Tony Blair's labour government spent too much money when the economy was booming. There was no saving, no contingency, so when the banking crash came there was no pot to turn to and instead a dramatic increase in the government debt and with this interest payments.

Or put simply Labour's short term thinking has resulted in many years of the downside in NHS being much harsher now.

So Conservatives look like they are in the wrong, but they are trying to fix the mess so eventually a steady level of service can be provided at optimal levels without money wasted on interest payments.

If Labour spend spend spend now, again this will only result in an even bigger down swing

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I had to check what the current majority was and consequently went to press submit at 17:02

FWIW...

Tory maj - 28
Labour - 234