General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Opposing a blanket ban of zero hour contracts is no unreasonable though, irrespective of one's background. The reforms suggested in 2015 struck the right balance i think: they included an end to exclusivity clauses, which were an unreasonable practice from the get-go. A guaranteed minimum number of hours over a specified period is also another avenue.

Dobba

Opposing a blanket ban of zero hour contracts is no unreasonable though, irrespective of one's background. The reforms suggested in 2015 struck the right balance i think: they included an end to exclusivity clauses, which were an unreasonable practice from the get-go. A guaranteed minimum number of hours over a specified period is also another avenue.
So not a zero hours contract then.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
A ban on exclusivity contracts is a positive move, but are they actually a major thing? A lot of people I know/have known who do/have done zero hours contract work do so because they perhaps do other things on the side and work their zero hours job as an extra of sorts to keep them ticking over.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Explain - what puts him right at the bottom of your list?
He's a cretin. That's a rather short answer, but I'll explain more when I have time. Also, he's a very insubstantial politician. His ideology isn't the problem, he's just not well capable of selling it.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So not a zero hours contract then.
It would still be a casual and flexible form of employment, a choice which Corbyn intends to deny people entirely.

A ban on exclusivity contracts is a positive move, but are they actually a major thing? A lot of people I know/have known who do/have done zero hours contract work do so because they perhaps do other things on the side and work their zero hours job as an extra of sorts to keep them ticking over.
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5624

The Government reformed the old system a little while ago, so by all rights they shouldn't exist any longer.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
He's a cretin. That's a rather short answer, but I'll explain more when I have time. Also, he's a very insubstantial politician. His ideology isn't the problem, he's just not well capable of selling it.
Do explain more when you get the chance mate. I've moved the other way on him, significantly more impressed than I was 12 months ago.

DenisIrwin

On zero hours contracts:

I never know when or where I'll have work until the afternoon/night or sometimes only an hour or two before.
I have often turned up for work, having been sent by an agency, only to find there is no work - in which case I've wasted my bus/train fare and go home without any pay or compensation.
I can't make any definite plans for appointments because I don't know if I'll be working. If I do make an appointment - say with the council - I often have to cancel if I have work.
I cannot afford to turn down work - unless it's a double-booking.
I have no idea what my weekly/monthly income will be so don't sign up for phone contracts or any other form of regular payments - so end up paying over the odds for internet by the month and pay as you go phone credit, etc.
That'll do for now.

Fergies Gum

Ed is a Lib Dem candidate for parliament

How foolish do you have to be to not think this attack is of high importance to a PM and have the view that May shouldn't be briefed on it and kept up to date.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Explain - what puts him right at the bottom of your list?
Would be rather interested in hearing more on this too. I'm no fan of the centrist bunch but Umunna has actually often come across quite well to me - fairly well-spoken and has managed to often speak in more than platitudes on issues like Brexit etc. But, again, I could be wrong.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
On zero hours contracts:

I never know when or where I'll have work until the afternoon/night or sometimes only an hour or two before.
I have often turned up for work, having been sent by an agency, only to find there is no work - in which case I've wasted my bus/train fare and go home without any pay or compensation.
I can't make any definite plans for appointments because I don't know if I'll be working. If I do make an appointment - say with the council - I often have to cancel if I have work.
I cannot afford to turn down work - unless it's a double-booking.
I have no idea what my weekly/monthly income will be so don't sign up for phone contracts or any other form of regular payments - so end up paying over the odds for internet by the month and pay as you go phone credit, etc.
That'll do for now.
Thanks for confirming everything I expected as consequences from zero hours contracts. Can you confirm my understanding that everybody who has a zero hours contract isn't considered unemployed in the statistics or am I wrong on this one? TIA

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
These polls have gone all over the place last few days.

UK shouldn't be that difficult to poll if done with a robust methodology and sample but this Labour momentum is making it tough it seems.
I don't agree.

Peter Kellner, ex you.gov, explained why they are all over the place.

According to him, the main reason is that different pollsters make different assumptions about the actual turnout of voters of the age of 18-24. (Perhaps it was 18-25 but you get the idea.)

Their preference of Labour to Tories is about 3:1 - that's what pollsters find across the polls. But similar to the Brexit referendum where a majority of them intended to vote for remain, voting intent in a poll doesn't automatically translate into showing up at the voting booth. Apparently there's not enough robust data on this age group to predict how many will show up, hence the uncertainty.

Obviously, models which assume young voters will have learned the lessons from the Brexit referendum, go out and vote find more favorable Labour outcomes than those models which assume they'll be as set back as at the referendum.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Despite being a break from election campaigns in light of the attacks last night, Theresa May has used her speech on the incident as Prime Minister to drill home some of her manifesto points and quite frankly has gone full on fascist. It sounds like a Tommy Robinson speech.

Absolute disgrace.

Dobba

Despite being a break from election campaigns in light of the attacks last night, Theresa May has used her speech on the incident as Prime Minister to drill home some of her manifesto points and quite frankly has gone full on fascist. It sounds like a Tommy Robinson speech.

Absolute disgrace.
It is but, lets face it, she'll probably have gone back on at least half of it by this evening anyway.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
UKIP saying they won't suspend national campaigning.

montpelier

Absolute disgrace.
For those who didn't see it, Theresa basically reckons...

Foreign policy, having Wars & selling Arms - Carry on as normal

Internet - Must crack down on

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
For those who didn't see it, Theresa basically reckons...

Foreign policy, having Wars & selling Arms - Carry on as normal

Internet - Must crack down on
And took an underhand swipe at Corbyn saying there is "too much tolerance of terrorism in this country" continuing the absolute bollocks narrative that he is a terrorist sympathiser.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Independent candidate

He says he'll post the footage today

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Well, Either ComRes or Survation are going to be getting less business this time next week

Feck.

I've no idea what happens with the types of hung parliaments described... Another election in three months?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Polls can be used as an indication of swing but using them for an actual result can be very misleading. More and more people are less inclined to give their opinion when asked to do so.

montpelier

And took an underhand swipe at Corbyn saying there is "too much tolerance of terrorism in this country" continuing the absolute bollocks narrative that he is a terrorist sympathiser.
Yes, she did. I didn't decode that, not been up long enough, quite yet.

Smores

Rudd using her speech to politicise the attack as well. They've obviously decided to change their views since Manchester

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Just the same as May really, pushing their security proposals.
It's an abuse of power and absolutely fecking shameful.

I'm sorry to say that it's the nail in the coffin for the Labour campaign.

The right wing press are going to go into full blown fear mongoring mode now and convince everyone her words are powerful and she is going to make us safer.

The war on terror is a complete failure. It's time to change tact completely.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Speech will go down great with the electorate though sadly. Any chance the Labour campaign had is over.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's an abuse of power and absolutely fecking shameful.

I'm sorry to say that it's the nail in the coffin for the Labour campaign.

The right wing press are going to go into full blown fear mongoring mode now and convince everyone her words are powerful and she is going to make us safer.

The war on terror is a complete failure. It's time to change tact completely.
As you say she will use it to promote her agenda of more invasions of our privacy. Sadly I feel 3 terror attacks in 3 months will convince people that it's necessary.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Speech will go down great with the electorate though sadly. Any chance the Labour campaign had is over.
Yup it's done and dusted now. The next 5 years are going to be absolutely awful and the terrorist situation will only get worse with Tory foreign policy.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Depends. Army, police and intelligence services have all been cut under the Tories and there's more to come. If labour can push that message, they may convince some of the electorate to switch.

Fergies Gum

Yup it's done and dusted now. The next 5 years are going to be absolutely awful and the terrorist situation will only get worse with Tory foreign policy.
It was likely done and dusted before this. According to Owen Jones, Labour's own data has them down by 12 points and that was a few days ago.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Depends. Army, police and intelligence services have all been cut under the Tories and there's more to come. If labour can push that message, they may convince some of the electorate to switch.
Yep, this will get ignored though. Tories have been making this country weak and vulnerable with their cuts. They have no leg to stand on but have the media and will openly lie to the public as seen with Brexit.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
3 attacks in 3 months under a conservative government and somehow they will be seen as the people to trust with security.. wtf?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Remember people were saying exactly the same about it being over after the Manchester attack.

Fully Fledged

Absolute disgrace.
I found it deplorable. This morning was not the time be discussing a political agenda. It should have been about keeping us briefed on the facts showing sadness at the loss of life and support for the services who do an amazing job running into danger.