Genuine question for non-United fans about our manager?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Why would you wonder about how others see Ole unless you thought he was poor?

I wouldn't change a thing at my club and see Ole as somebody who is out of his depth. We are not privy to team talks but his media appearances always seem to be filled with clichés and obvious comments. He seems to lack intelligence and comes across as being a bit too relaxed.

Utd biggest problem is above Ole's pay grade and they need a quality director of football. It will take many years to turn Utd's fortunes.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
It's hard to judge Ole properly because he inherited an imbalanced squad and hasn't had a full season under his belt. Plus, I'm not sure he got all the players he wanted in the summer. I'm not following United's business closely enough, but I'm surprised they'd let Lukaku go without bringing in a replacement. Maguire and AWB were good deals and helped strenghten their backline but they need more quality in other positions and Woodward has been doing a terrible job in the transfer market over the years in terms of getting value for money.

beer&grill

That’s silly. Ole managed to get a point against the so called best manager in the league, where everyone else failed so do tell how you would interpret that.
This means Ole is the equal of the Rochedale’s manager. See, this logic goes both ways.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
If Nuno left Wolves and we appointed Ole, I'd be massively underwhelmed and very concerned.

His only real record in England is taking Cardiff down. It's hard to judge him currently given the transition, but I reckon any manager could put a team out for United and get similar inconsistent results.

As for Young, Jones and Pereira, none of them would get a start at Wolves. Even as squad players, I still wouldn't want them due to their wages. They will no doubt sign for West Ham soon.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Would you like him managing your club - not counting his affiliation to us. I'm just curious as I've heard many people say he's the worst manager in the entire league, even among our fanbase, I'm curious to see how he's viewed elsewhere.
No. Absolutely not. Felt that way when you hired him, felt that way when you beat PSG, still feel that way now.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
No I wouldn't but I'll say to you the same as I say to Arsenal fans

No Emery isn't good enough and needs replacing. But you need a replacement who won't need replacing this time next year either. So you have to line up the right manager before you sack the current one even if it's blatantly the case that he needs replacing, he has to say until the right replacement is available.

Having said that Pochetino and Allegri are available right now. If you can get either you do so imo

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
Even though it seems obvious, it is a good question. From the outside, it is as if Man Utd are consigned to be in that transition stage, not only for the players but the manager too. Man Utd seem to be saying "lets have a period of suffering and get this manager up to top class level", this is a big gamble because he hasn't really shown much potential apart from winning the league in Norway, but the Norwegian League must be below the Scottish League and that is saying something! I don't think a club of Manchester United size should be in this position that they doing things this way, but that is where they have put their eggs.

I don't think you can compare him to Frank Lampard also, Chelseas have a raft of top-class youngsters, which ironically was the reason they got a transfer ban. Man Utd doesn't have a raft of top-class youngsters they can rely on like Chelsea. And Chelsea's experienced players are top class quality whilst Man Utd experienced players are in lacing in top-class pedigree. So with this mind, you could argue Ole has a harder job, but still, they don't have a transfer ban so they can keep buying and they don't have the rigours of a CL campaign only UL. Looks like they won't achieve success this season, I expect them to have an even bigger clearout next summer and, maybe the manager will be part of that...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I could understand the logic of appointing him when you did. Many clubs in times of crisis go for old player who at least understands the culture, Milan did it with Gattuso and OGS was a manager for a good 8 years when he was appointed (we approached him to be our manager in May 2012).

The warning signs were there in the run in. A baffling transfer window later and I can't say this season has been a huge shock to me to see you struggling to get a run of wins and even to score goals.

Suppose the one OGS legacy will be giving likes of Greenwood and Williams a proper chance and you never know they could be great players for the club. It does have the feeling of the club being in a holding position atm though.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to ask this question as Ole was obviously hired on interim basis because of his past and specific knowledge regarding the club and he got a permanent contract because that's what the players wanted.

If you'd ask me if I wanted Lampard here in the summer I'd say no, of course not. He got the Chelsea job for the same reason Ole got the United job. I don't believe for a second that Lampard would do a better job here than Solsjær or vice versa.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
United's problem isn't the manager (imo), but simply the fact that he isn't SAF - the same as all the others.

Fergie bailed out at the point in PL evolution at the right time - there was a rotational 2 or 3 team challenge in the league each season, and now there are around 6. The competition is harder, and since Martin Edwards left, the ownership had been rudderless in understanding that. SAF had more sway/immunity because of what he'd built in rep by then, which no other manager has had.

The expectation is too high at the club, and the strategy is non-existent. Ole is a good fit because he seems happy to sign and play the likes of Daniel James, which is what any team (United included) need to be doing to 'establish' a threat - the same as Fergie did, you need to buy young high-potential players and mix in some club-passionate youngsters, with some experienced winners. It's not a million miles away from the type of thing Pochettino would do, but I think Solskjaer has the benefit of the success and tutelage that he gained under Ferguson.

I just can't see anyone doing a better job with the squad available, nor without doing an LvG and buying a bunch of expensive parachuted-in stars.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The consensus among non-United fans is they don't rate Ole very highly.

A shocking revelation.

Kemizee

Any manager that fails to keep United challenging is a good manager for other fans.

It's really a no brainer

With Jose / LVG we still managed a trophy here and there, with Ole / Moyes we're midtables and doesn't look like we're going to win anything. Between the 4 of them, if you're not a United supporter it's pretty clear who you'd want to keep.
Thumbs up. /thread.

SteveW

This is just another slag Ole thread. Opposition fans will just see the table. They won't look close enough to see any context.

Steven-UK

Top priority seems to have been to clear out those who aren’t giving 100%. Whatever you think of Pereira, Young and Jones, they always go all-in.
But they are not good enough for Manchester United, so what's the fecking point.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Am I right you guys now have the SAF backroom staff back in place? In which case I expect a factor was that Ole was willing to have them all in place so it may have been more about the backroom staff than Ole himself?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to ask this question as Ole was obviously hired on interim basis because of his past and specific knowledge regarding the club and he got a permanent contract because that's what the players wanted.

If you'd ask me if I wanted Lampard here in the summer I'd say no, of course not. He got the Chelsea job for the same reason Ole got the United job. I don't believe for a second that Lampard would do a better job here than Solsjær or vice versa.
Lampard showed some quality and promising stuff at Derby, just like Gerrard with Rangers right now. Chelsea wouldn't have considered him if he had Derby midtable or playing some average stuff. He didn't have a transfer window, he has a few youngsters with no previous PL experience playing great football for their starting XI, it seems like everyone buys into his vision and they're rightfully in the top 4. Ole's record in English football before his United appointment was getting Cardiff relegated and having them 17th after 8 games in the Championship before getting sacked - regardless of whether you think he's the right manager for United or not, I'm fairly sure that any quality manager would have this current side in or close to the top 4. That includes Lampard imo.

Giving him the job permanently at that point in time was stupid and pointless, there was no rush and no one would've batted an eyelid if you had waited to take a decision until the end of the season. So yeah, probably every fan of United's rivals would love for Ole to stay at the wheel for a very long time.

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
I do t think he’s a terrible manager, but he’s not at the United level IMO and I’d be very surprised if he is there next year.
To be honest I don’t think Poch is United level either, but better suited than Mourinho. SAF has massive boots to fill, United have to find a Klopp type manager.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
His work at Molde got him the Cardiff job. It went very badly for him. Based on that I wouldn't be keen on him managing Liverpool. To be fair to him his signings so far have been decent to good. Midfield is United's weak point. But to be fair to Ole you can't build a team overnight. Let's see if he gets to sign players in Jan and next summer. Then next season he would deservedly feel it was more his side than the current lineup.
The problem with a lot of United supporters is an inherent arrogance that certain sides shouldn't beat United. The reality is that United are no longer relevant to the title race and are currently stuck in mid table mediocrity so expectations need to be tempered in line with the reality of the quality of your playing staff.