Genuine question for non-United fans about our manager?

C_Senior

Supports
Liverpool fc
Kind of wonder what spurs fans would do! Swap Jose for Ole?

beer&grill

I honestly don’t see any reason why anyone from the top 5 leagues and Championship would take him at their team. Anyone apart some percentage of our fan base can see his true colours, without being blinded by a goal in the UCL final. For any other fans, he is a norwegian league level manager who should be nowhere near the top or mid tier jobs. I think even comparisons with Steve Bruce are unwarranted as I believe he is a better manager. Truth is, all other managers in the EPL worked their way there, while Ole got here through nepotism, that’s why I prefer to stay rational rather than being deluded thinking he is not the worst of the bunch. You should not forget that managing in the premier league by merit puts you probably in the top 100 managers in the world, so yeah, that’s why I think it’s not unreasonable to believe that a Molde manager is the worst.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Obviously no one would take him. He brought a team into relegation. He’s a manc. And he’s struggling.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
No and I’m pretty certain no other top flight club would either, it sounds cliche but it’s a big jump from Molde to United, he’s already failed once in English football with Cardiff, his next move after molde should have been to either the championship or another European league where he could develop further as a manager/coach. Of course that’s a double edged sword for him as he likely would have never gotten this gig if he’d done that.

It’s a difficult one to judge with managers as the skill set is so broad and the requirements different for each job. Some go in to clubs with the right structure and top medical/nutritional teams already in place and back room team, some bring their own with their own tweaks. Some aren’t allowed to change the existing structure. All of which plays a role in determining how successful you are. Some managers focus largely on details like Klopp Pep and Jose, whereas others I.e Redknapp at Spurs just put a general outline/ blueprint and the let the players do the rest. Players respond differently to each one. Success can be nuanced and a fine line.

Back to Ole, I’d rather he remain your manger because at present I don’t believe he has the ability to lead a club like United.

Bestietom

I just wish that whatever decision the board comes to about the manager situation, it is for the best. We need top players brought in ASAP and any manager that comes in will want this.
This means a big immediate investment, and I don't think that the Glazers or Woody would want to do this quickly. I really think that there is something going on behind the scene, on the sale of the club, and this is hampering any big investment in players, and work needed on the stadium.
I may be wrong, but I can see a move to buy this club in the next year or so. More than likely the Saudis.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
No, I would not like him, although I appreciated and understood the fact that you tried the fashion of a young coach with a past in the club, such as Guardiola or Zidane. Unfortunately it does not always work (Solari)

whitworth

Supports
liverpool
Would you like him managing your club - not counting his affiliation to us. I'm just curious as I've heard many people say he's the worst manager in the entire league, even among our fanbase, I'm curious to see how he's viewed elsewhere.
I think its amazing that Ole has bagged a job like Man Utd given his previous lack of managerial experience/success. It is further compounded by having coaches like Carrick who also have zero experience.
Man Utd's gameplan seems to be to defend deep in numbers, and hoof it forward hopefully for Rashford/Martial/James to run on to.

Sheffield Utd had an obvious gameplan and some nice buildup play - for 70 minutes that utd display was one of the worst I have seen by anyone for a very long time.

Alabaster Codify7

None of them would right now because he looks to be drowning at this level. Prior to this drowning, I'd say maybe 2-3 lower level sides' fans might have considered him.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Top priority seems to have been to clear out those who aren’t giving 100%. Whatever you think of Pereira, Young and Jones, they always go all-in.
Top priority should be to clear out the ones who are not good enough and convince the rest that if they give you 100% you'll take them places. Might as well replace Pogba with Longstaff and call it a win. That's my take on it.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I can understand why Utd's board felt they had to appoint Ole after the start he made. The turning point in that early run was the away success to spurs, when Pogba played that stunning pass to Rashford. Spurs battered Utd that day and should have won. Had Utd lost that game I doubt Ole would be your manager. It would have stopped the winning run much earlier and likely meant a more measured approach from board and fans. But the run continued and pressure from media and some fans made it inevitable he would get the job. However if I remember right the appointment was made on the back of two defeats. So why not just press pause and say hang on we're going to wait till the end of the season? It wasn't like Madrid or Barca were hovering to sign Ole up. There's no doubt the manager is far from the only problem at Utd but it appears that there isn't much chance of change in structure or personnel off the pitch right now. So why not employ the best available manager to at least maximise your chances of success.

That person is definitely not Ole. Like us, when things went wrong with Kenny, red tinted glasses and the love for a club legend are clouding what should be a straightforward decision. It's a third of the way through the season and Utd are closer to the bottom 3 than the top 4 after a decent spend in the summer. Not all Utd fans are still loyal to him though and I was surprised to see some suggesting Rodgers or even Rafa! That would be like us in the '90s wanting Ron Atkinson. Now that Poch is available who is a much better manager, with a progressive style of play, who improves players and has good PL experience I think Utd will rue not making the change if he ends up at Madrid or PSG. Of course as an LFC fan I would like Ole to stay on for at least another couple of seasons. But I'll be amazed if he is your manager next season and when he does go I doubt another top club anywhere in Europe will consider him when a vacancy arises.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I honestly don’t see any reason why anyone from the top 5 leagues and Championship would take him at their team. Anyone apart some percentage of our fan base can see his true colours, without being blinded by a goal in the UCL final. For any other fans, he is a norwegian league level manager who should be nowhere near the top or mid tier jobs. I think even comparisons with Steve Bruce are unwarranted as I believe he is a better manager. Truth is, all other managers in the EPL worked their way there, while Ole got here through nepotism, that’s why I prefer to stay rational rather than being deluded thinking he is not the worst of the bunch. You should not forget that managing in the premier league by merit puts you probably in the top 100 managers in the world, so yeah, that’s why I think it’s not unreasonable to believe that a Molde manager is the worst.
:lol:

Bolded is nonsense. As far as I am aware, there are no official qualifications beyond obtaining your badges, to be a head coach. Lampard's appointment could be called nepotism as well.

He's not doing well at the moment but nepotism isn't the right term.

soapythecat

I now live and work in Glasgow. At work I’m surrounded by Celtic and Rangers fans and they are pretty much all oblong they same lines regarding Ole:
Would never consider him as a manager for their clubs. Ever. Due to lack of experience and being dire at Cardiff.
Why was he the answer when one of the biggest clubs in the world had a huge problem to sort out? Really bad recruitment.
How can Molde be classed as suitable experience?
How did he get to be one of the highest managers in world football? It’s not like anyone is going to poach him.
Overall, they think his appointment is a joke and find it genuinely amusing that he got the job. I enjoy talking football with them and they are honest and open about all clubs.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
As a Leicester fan. I wouldn’t have Ole. In fact, of the other Managers in the League, I’d only consider Klopp and Pep.

From your players, I’d consider De Gea, James and Rashford.

beer&grill

:lol:

Bolded is nonsense. As far as I am aware, there are no official qualifications beyond obtaining your badges, to be a head coach. Lampard's appointment could be called nepotism as well.

He's not doing well at the moment but nepotism isn't the right term.
So you are telling me that the Molde manager who happened to be a club legend got here on merit?:lol:

RUCK4444

We got Lampard in who had similar lack of experience. Interesting comparison after first 13 games.

I think it's good you're playing more youth again and less mercenaries. Main issue as Utd is the owners and Woodward imo. The worst big club at transfers, always going for players who just signed a contract, so end up paying 2-3x what is needed if planned properly.

You're better off building for the long term, what you really need is new management on the football side and new owners to implement that.

Not sure it matters who is the manager much until those problems fixed.
Bingo... this has been my opinion for a long time now, I get accused of being an Ole fanboy for making the same point.

I would be happy to give Ole another two windows if it meant he continued to buy well. That is the best we can hope for in terms of the long term under the current owners & board.

If we swap managers AGAIN the next one HAS to be the right one. Money is slowly being splashed less and less at United IMO and it’s no surprise with the lack of CL money and greedy owners.

Right now if the ownership doesn’t change hands then for me it’s about buying well and building something rather than swap and changing managers with continuing rebuilds. It’s a slippery slope that has got us here in the first place.

I’d only consider a change of Manager if he was established and the right fit for the long term but on the condition a director of football was brought in also.

Valley Blue

Supports
Manchester City
It’s disgraceful that the board appointed OGS, arguably the biggest club in the world, the board should have been looking for the best on the world.
Instead they have been a disgrace since fergie retired, I’m surprised that the fans have put up with this shambles for so long......

beer&grill

What is the official standard below which an appointment can be gauged to be a nepotic one? Please tell.
Are the managers in the Norwegian league usually in contention for the United job? Or jobs at any other big club? I would say no. Maybe that’s an accurate unofficial standard.

You can argue Lampard and Pep at Barca were in the same situation, but for me, it’s one thing to be a complete rookie and another to be a seasoned manager with ten years under your belt. Anyway, I’m 100% sure that if Guardiola hadn’t clicked immediately as he did, he would have been sacked, and rightly so. As a rookie, you either click right away or get the sack, no point having blind faith with a project which is unlikely to come good. Either way, Ole isn’t a novice, and he didn’t click right away, so that’s a sack in my book.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
What does that even mean and how is it relevant?
Kind of obvious. Would you take an Lfc mgr on your club. The question was would you take him on your club. That’s the first reason. Second is he’s just not good enough for your club is he? So why would we want him even if we had a floundering mgr of our own. It’s not like he’s SAF and even him I wouldn’t have taken if he decided to quit at an earlier time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
More irrelevance. Well done.
Too much sand. The poster with whom I had argument understood the point but it’s too hard for you, maybe because it’s not a post criticising Ole alone. In case you are still struggling it’s not a post supporting Ole.

Again this is also irrelevant to this thread and the reason for this is you are just struggling to get simple point.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I like to think I can be quite well balanced so this is coming from a neutral perspective rather than my Liverpool supporting one.... I wouldn't have him anywhere near the managers seat.
I would put him on par with Hodgson. I think (Cardiff aside) that he would be a decent manager for a smaller club where the expectation isn't there but he's not cut out to be a manager at a club that should be fighting for trophies

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Too much sand. The poster with whom I had argument understood the point but it’s too hard for you, maybe because it’s not a post criticising Ole alone. In case you are still struggling it’s not a post supporting Ole.

Again this is also irrelevant to this thread and the reason for this is you are just struggling to get simple point.
Nobody is struggling other than you bleating on about players in a thread about the manager and then crying about irrelevance. Find another thread for it.

memelord

Nope, I'm a Lyon fan and I'd take the clown our manager is over Ole.

croadyman

I can understand why Utd's board felt they had to appoint Ole after the start he made. The turning point in that early run was the away success to spurs, when Pogba played that stunning pass to Rashford. Spurs battered Utd that day and should have won. Had Utd lost that game I doubt Ole would be your manager. It would have stopped the winning run much earlier and likely meant a more measured approach from board and fans. But the run continued and pressure from media and some fans made it inevitable he would get the job. However if I remember right the appointment was made on the back of two defeats. So why not just press pause and say hang on we're going to wait till the end of the season? It wasn't like Madrid or Barca were hovering to sign Ole up. There's no doubt the manager is far from the only problem at Utd but it appears that there isn't much chance of change in structure or personnel off the pitch right now. So why not employ the best available manager to at least maximise your chances of success.

That person is definitely not Ole. Like us, when things went wrong with Kenny, red tinted glasses and the love for a club legend are clouding what should be a straightforward decision. It's a third of the way through the season and Utd are closer to the bottom 3 than the top 4 after a decent spend in the summer. Not all Utd fans are still loyal to him though and I was surprised to see some suggesting Rodgers or even Rafa! That would be like us in the '90s wanting Ron Atkinson. Now that Poch is available who is a much better manager, with a progressive style of play, who improves players and has good PL experience I think Utd will rue not making the change if he ends up at Madrid or PSG. Of course as an LFC fan I would like Ole to stay on for at least another couple of seasons. But I'll be amazed if he is your manager next season and when he does go I doubt another top club anywhere in Europe will consider him when a vacancy arises.
I agree with pretty everything you have said and just want to add that I also feel PSG was a massive turning point too.

Ideally we bring in a proper DOF to appoint the next manager,maybe if we had proper football people on the board we wouldn't have wasted so much money since Fergie retired.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nobody is struggling other than you bleating on about players in a thread about the manager and then crying about irrelevance. Find another thread for it.
Too much sand :lol:.

The person I argued with agreed with it and we both moved on, why don’t you just do that. If you feel it’s irrelevant then report it instead of piling this thread with irrelevant stuff and bitching.

Don’t come with Ironic bs btw, I said irrelevant to the thread as my post was quoted and the post was about contracts.

Last edited:

SoCross

You need to remember that many football fans are deluded.
There are many on this very forum who absolutely believe that Ole is doing a good job and will grow into the role.
So, who knows, there may be rival fans who rate him highly and might actually want him.

Like many, I rated him as the worst manager in the EPL, barring Steve Bruce (who most rated as the worst). Ole unfortunately, took the "worst manager in the EPL" mantle, when S.Bruce's Newcastle played and beat us.
I think it's quite sad that we now have personnel in our team who are so bad that no other team in the league (even the teams battling relegation and are rock bottom), would take them.

For Woodward, Ole was a great appointment, as it allows him to save money and drop down the table without any ill-effects.
Fans would be furious if under Moyes, LVG, Jose, we were in 9th place. But under Ole, it's fine.
That’s silly. Ole managed to get a point against the so called best manager in the league, where everyone else failed so do tell how you would interpret that.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Would you like him managing your club - not counting his affiliation to us. I'm just curious as I've heard many people say he's the worst manager in the entire league, even among our fanbase, I'm curious to see how he's viewed elsewhere.
Really difficult to evaluate OGS - but that has been the case for every manager after Fergie.

In my opinion, your board is the problem. Hiring van Gaal and then choosing Mourinho as his successor is one indicator for the madness that has befallen the United board. But there were many others. That means basically that every manager will struggle right now at United, IMO.

The club does not have a coherent recruiting strategy. They do not have a clear structure in the squad, nor is there a core within the squad. They have just bought players and hoped that they would play well with each other.

So, about OGS, I do think that he has still some potential - I would defenitely not regard him as a failure. He has come and at times he has overperformed and at times he has underperformed. I would say, that that is pretty good considering the condictions he is woking under.

Ancient Of Days

What is the official standard below which an appointment can be gauged to be a nepotic one? Please tell.
Fergie put a word in on his behalf, that's how the clown ended up here.

That's nepotism

Had he had no ties to Fergie or United he wouldn't have been considered for the caretaker role let alone given the permanent position

The same goes for Carrick and the rest of the old boy dinosaur network infesting the club with their living in the past ideology