Other Geoguessr

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Nice one, missed this!

No idea on the first one, random guess at Sochi because I thought it was Russian and there were palm trees. Second one just went with Edinburgh, third one with Albuquerque because I saw the New Mexico Bank, fourth one I recognized Siem Reap and got super lucky with the 5th one that I guessed the right German city.

Counterfactual

Cheers, Solius.

Round 3 showed me the image from Round 2 again. I thought, "Ha! Solius has fecked up! I know where this is now!" only for my spot-on guess to be a million miles out!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There are also multiple party modes that we can play against/with each other if anyone is ever up for that.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Used to play this a lot in work at lunch time. Then they changed it up and we can't play how we used to unfortunately.

Anything similar to how it use to be?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I play a few Battle Royales per day, but the ones who we used to play via the challenges on here were more fun.

Starting to get better at it though. Some insane Google Maps player regularly appears on my social media feeds and he's sharing some tips from time to time on how to recognize which country you are in based on the roads, markings, buildings, trees, ... You start to see some patterns after a while.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Should we carry these on? Just found this thread and feel it would be nice, I think it can still continue like it was before?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Would it work the same with the "new" (newer than our last games) time system? I haven't really played it since then, so I don't know how it would affect the way we were playing.

If it still works, I wouldn't mind getting pro to create some maps/challenges. Though when I click to play my old maps now (without Pro), I get the message about the time limit. Maybe it's different if someone with Pro has created a challenge and shared the link, which is what we did I guess? Can't remember if Pro came into it, but I had it at least.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Would it work the same with the "new" (newer than our last games) time system? I haven't really played it since then, so I don't know how it would affect the way we were playing.

If it still works, I wouldn't mind getting pro to create some maps/challenges. Though when I click to play my old maps now (without Pro), I get the message about the time limit. Maybe it's different if someone with Pro has created a challenge and shared the link, which is what we did I guess? Can't remember if Pro came into it, but I had it at least.
Ah maybe you’re right, I play pretty regularly and have pro so not aware of what is available for non-pro folk.

Can try and sus it out though

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Wanted to play a game just now after watching a random Rainbolt clip, but they've removed the option to play for free as from Feb 1, 2024 :(

Chipper

Adulterer.
Been watching a bit GeoWizard on youtube lately. A little of his old Geoguessr content but mostly travel stuff and 'straight line' challenges.

Never really too into Geoguessr, but did like stuff that was similar to what I think is cheat mode? Where you can use any available tools or sources to track down a location.

GeoWizard has a "Geo detective" series on his channel where he tries to do that from pictures people sent him. Used to play a similar game on a forum a few years ago, although reverse image searches weren't as advanced back then. Think it's a lot easier using that sort of tool these days.

It could be time consuming, but you actually felt like some sort of criminal investigator or intelligence service agent trying to figure it all out. Was fun.

Like I said, never really did Geogueesr itself, but from what I've been reading lately people who are really into it have a ton of knowledge now compared to how it once was? The different kinds of road markings, power lines, road sign design including the poles that they're on, car license plates etc. in all the different countries? Even stuff like the quality of image from the camera used in streetview and of course full knowledge of which countries have streetview to begin with.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been watching a bit GeoWizard on youtube lately. A little of his old Geoguessr content but mostly travel stuff and 'straight line' challenges.

Never really too into Geoguessr, but did like stuff that was similar to what I think is cheat mode? Where you can use any available tools or sources to track down a location.

GeoWizard has a "Geo detective" series on his channel where he tries to do that from pictures people sent him. Used to play a similar game on a forum a few years ago, although reverse image searches weren't as advanced back then. Think it's a lot easier using that sort of tool these days.

It could be time consuming, but you actually felt like some sort of criminal investigator or intelligence service agent trying to figure it all out. Was fun.

Like I said, never really did Geogueesr itself, but from what I've been reading lately people who are really into it have a ton of knowledge now compared to how it once was? The different kinds of road markings, power lines, road sign design including the poles that they're on, car license plates etc. in all the different countries? Even stuff like the quality of image from the camera used in streetview and of course full knowledge of which countries have streetview to begin with.
Yeah I’ve been watching those too. I think you can solve most with a lot of time, effort and patience.

I recently found an old pic I took from a plane in 2013 and tracked down the exact spot I’d taken it of. Felt quite satisfying.