Other Geoguessr

Counterfactual

Aaargh I mistook the .fi domain extension for fiji and spent 18 seconds trying to find it on the map!
Still, I was way out on others too. Fun game!

1. Edinburgh, been there but didn't recognise exactly where it was.
2. Argentina - got that totally wrong.
3. Milan - my office is a two minute walk from that street.
4. Houston - i recognised the tower blocks and Main Street was easy to find from there.
5. Riga - been there. Stayed in a hotel nearby and walked up and down that street many times

Minkaro

Hmm try this one? Maybe I have to play first, I've just guessed Antarctica for all of them.

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/cpNmgCUUKsGq4LhQ
17,390. Let down by one massive cock-up.

1. Saw Vrij on the restaurant sign, and thought it sounded vaguely German...but German for Friday is Freitag, I think? So went to Holland (supported by the orange coloured signposts). Then I noticed the Sint-Michele sign, which looked more French, so thought it might be Belgium. So I clicked randomly in Belgium and was eight miles away, so I'm a genius.

2. I know .ca is Canada. I know this. And yet, seduced by a flag, I went for Cameroon. I might not be a genius.

3. Saw Sunderland on a sign and clicked at random. 2.1 miles away. Genius again.

4. Nasty Brazil flag trying to trick me. I got that it was Chile, because of that flag and a .cl web address, but panicked and clicked somewhere in the ocean near Chile, 500+ miles away from the actual location. Ignoring my own rule of "if in doubt, go capital city." Not only am I not a genius again, but I am also wet.

5. Saw the Bulgarian flag painted on something and went Sofia. 3.7 miles away, and a genius again.

9,475. Terrible effort.

1. Something in my head went "founders = Pennsylvania" - no idea why, and it was wrong, but it could have been a lot more wrong.

2. Had an absolute nightmare on this one. I blame the dog barking in the other room.

3. The dog stopped barking, I just suck at this.

4. SIR. I NEED YOU TO BACK AWAY SIR. Didn't have much time after I was distracted by that man who is RIGHT THERE (and then also man leaning on tree), so just went randomly in Cambodia.

5. Portugal, you son of a bitch. First I thought I saw a sign saying Davros, and guessed Cardiff because that's where Doctor Who is filmed, but then I saw a sign that looked Italian, so just went somewhere in Italy. At this point I'd basically given up.

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/zvg2hKQNGj9Xav4c

You will have 20 seconds on each one. So I'm not expecting 5000 point guesses. Will see how quickly some people can react and work out roughly where they are.
It takes me about thirty seconds to do anything on this heap of junk. So this should be fun.

11,702. That went a lot better than I expected.

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/buDj11xsEYesQpWo

Ok, all the time in the world (no googling) but you cannot move, zoom or pan.
After the first two rounds, I was genuinely concerned your tactic of picking Antarctica every time might actually beat me.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
17,390. Let down by one massive cock-up.

1. Saw Vrij on the restaurant sign, and thought it sounded vaguely German...but German for Friday is Freitag, I think? So went to Holland (supported by the orange coloured signposts). Then I noticed the Sint-Michele sign, which looked more French, so thought it might be Belgium. So I clicked randomly in Belgium and was eight miles away, so I'm a genius.

2. I know .ca is Canada. I know this. And yet, seduced by a flag, I went for Cameroon. I might not be a genius.

3. Saw Sunderland on a sign and clicked at random. 2.1 miles away. Genius again.

4. Nasty Brazil flag trying to trick me. I got that it was Chile, because of that flag and a .cl web address, but panicked and clicked somewhere in the ocean near Chile, 500+ miles away from the actual location. Ignoring my own rule of "if in doubt, go capital city." Not only am I not a genius again, but I am also wet.

5. Saw the Bulgarian flag painted on something and went Sofia. 3.7 miles away, and a genius again.

9,475. Terrible effort.

1. Something in my head went "founders = Pennsylvania" - no idea why, and it was wrong, but it could have been a lot more wrong.

2. Had an absolute nightmare on this one. I blame the dog barking in the other room.

3. The dog stopped barking, I just suck at this.

4. SIR. I NEED YOU TO BACK AWAY SIR. Didn't have much time after I was distracted by that man who is RIGHT THERE (and then also man leaning on tree), so just went randomly in Cambodia.

5. Portugal, you son of a bitch. First I thought I saw a sign saying Davros, and guessed Cardiff because that's where Doctor Who is filmed, but then I saw a sign that looked Italian, so just went somewhere in Italy. At this point I'd basically given up.

It takes me about thirty seconds to do anything on this heap of junk. So this should be fun.

11,702. That went a lot better than I expected.

After the first two rounds, I was genuinely concerned your tactic of picking Antarctica every time might actually beat me.
:lol:

Xeno

How did @harms get
Vladivostock
literally everyone else got less than 100 points for it haha.

edit: he's in
Russia

Counterfactual

Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/XPdNG53aqwdgIeiV

7 mins per round. No move.
Hell's teeth.

Round 1: 1 point! (so far away! How are you supposed to know that's Australia? I saw the "Give Way" sign and thought it was probably ex-British. I went South Africa!)
Round 2: 769 points. (also far away! Wrong US state)
Round 3: 4,525 points (picking up!)
Round 4: 4,993 points (yeah, baby)
Round 5: 4,998 points (can we void the first two guesses?)

Fun game, thanks Sol God.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
How'd you psychos all get Strasbourg so perfectly? I thought I was being somewhat smart by going for a French city on the border with Germany cause of the German & French sign, but then all yous got it to the tee. Was I missing a massive sign that said it was Strasbourg?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How'd you psychos all get Strasbourg so perfectly? I thought I was being somewhat smart by going for a French city on the border with Germany cause of the German & French sign, but then all yous got it to the tee. Was I missing a massive sign that said it was Strasbourg?
Move around the border of France-Germany after slightly zooming in and you'd find that German city that the sign board was pointing towards

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Same. Tried so hard to find that Offenburg (spelling?) & the other German name on the map near the border, but ultimately failed to. Turns out, I needed to look a bit further away

decorativeed

There was a sign to a german city near Strasbourg

Xeno

The sign to Offenburg, it's the only bridge with a tram on it (although on the wrong side so map inverted from photo) and Rue de la 1st Army.
@Solius
Bolivian one says "Boliviara" above the Cerveza Autentica, so a football stadium in Bolivia. Had a look at La Paz first and and there's an Avenue United States which is only small so easy to pin exactly

harms

Staff
Looked all over La Paz in order to find this particular stadium but also failed to do that and moved to another town! I need to be more thorough in my search.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I wanted to take part so I've not made this one. It's just an Urban World.

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/0l9P8AgRS9Y27eyj

1. Obviously UK. Couldn't read the sign but saw A96 on the road. Went up to Scotland because I know those roads are around there. Followed the numbers up until I found it which meant the closest city is Aberdeen. Found a big roundabout on the map which showed the Morrisons and Fitness place next to the road. 5000 points.

2. I despise these places :lol: Went for Kyrgyzstan because of the mountainous region south of Bishkek. Poor round.

3. Malaysia clearly. I went for Singapore despite it not feeling right. Mainly due to there being coast to the south and no other city really correlated. Didn't really think of Sandakan. Another poor round.

4. Well this game is giving me some proper shit. EU licence plates and white/Mediterranean people. Plucked for Naples.

5. USA. Is that Michaelangelo's David? I could see Fawick Park but it's so small I couldn't see anything obvious on the map. It all felt very Philadelphia so I just went for there.

Not great, all in all :lol:

Xeno

1. Obviously UK. Couldn't read the sign but saw A96 on the road. Went up to Scotland because I know those roads are around there. Followed the numbers up until I found it which meant the closest city is Aberdeen. Found a big roundabout on the map which showed the Morrisons and Fitness place next to the road. 5000 points.

2. I despise these places :lol: Went for Kyrgyzstan because of the mountainous region south of Bishkek. Poor round.

3. Malaysia clearly. I went for Singapore despite it not feeling right. Mainly due to there being coast to the south and no other city really correlated. Didn't really think of Sandakan. Another poor round.

4. Well this game is giving me some proper shit. EU licence plates and white/Mediterranean people. Plucked for Naples.

5. USA. Is that Michaelangelo's David? I could see Fawick Park but it's so small I couldn't see anything obvious on the map. It all felt very Philadelphia so I just went for there.

Shithole, so obviously Scotland.
A96 is Aberdeen.
Road sign is to Inverness and looks like Aberdeen.
Dunno where A944 is but zoomed in on Abevrdeen to start and it's there. Interesection of A96 and A944 = Found Morrisons

Cyrillic
Plate on truck doesn't look like Bulgaria so having a poke at Ukraine as the walking man sign doedn't look Russian. God that's miles away. Zero points. How anyone can get near to that I'll be impressed.

Malaysia Sandakan, there's a Malaysian flag.
Harrisons Sabah. Sabah is a state not a city but ok. Couldn't find the street name and ran out of time

Garagem = I think French
Nothing else to go off really. Correo on the postbox I have no idea.
Oh it's in Portugal ffs

Obv USA X of 2&3
Fawick Park
Michaelangelo's David
Blurry but the licence plate on Subaru looks like Rushmore = S Dakota. Nothing else to go on put it in the centre.
It's fun to type your notes as you do it rather than afterwards.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Shithole, so obviously Scotland.
A96 is Aberdeen.
Road sign is to Inverness and looks like Aberdeen.
Dunno where A944 is but zoomed in on Abevrdeen to start and it's there. Interesection of A96 and A944 = Found Morrisons

Cyrillic
Plate on truck doesn't look like Bulgaria so having a poke at Ukraine as the walking man sign doedn't look Russian. God that's miles away. Zero points. How anyone can get near to that I'll be impressed.

Malaysia Sandakan, there's a Malaysian flag.
Harrisons Sabah. Sabah is a state not a city but ok. Couldn't find the street name and ran out of time

Garagem = I think French
Nothing else to go off really. Correo on the postbox I have no idea.
Oh it's in Portugal ffs

Obv USA X of 2&3
Fawick Park
Michaelangelo's David
Blurry but the licence plate on Subaru looks like Rushmore = S Dakota. Nothing else to go on put it in the centre.
It's fun to type your notes as you do it rather than afterwards.
Yeah I forget too much if I type afterwards. The no time limit between rounds lets me type my thoughts :lol:

harms

Staff

1. Felt very Scottish to me but didn't look as historical as Glasgow or Edinbrough, so went for Aberdeen — the third biggest city that I knew of. Ended up ridiculously close for a more or less instinctive guess.

2. Russia was close to impossible even though I knew that it was Russia. Tried to guess by the telephone code on the car in the background without really knowing the codes by heart... turned out that I haven't even managed to establish the code properly. Still managed to get pretty close though, well, relatively.

3. Figured that it was Malaysia and even established that, according to the compass and the name of the street (coastal...) it should have an ocean on the East. But wasn't sure enough so went for Kuala Lumpur... which turned up to be a pretty shitty guess

4. Thought that I was very lucky in spotting a word that looked a bit like "magyar" on a door of a shop... turned out it wasn't. Tried to figure out what that word was afterwards but the camera didn't catch it from a right angle.

5. Went for Minneapolis as the nature looked somewhat close. Turned out that I've guessed the state correctly! It's always hard with those copy & paste American towns. Not sure if it was possible to guess if you haven't been there or didn't know about David. Historical site :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Another one, not made by me.

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/bSyaMqduj6l7T9gD

1. Van says Basel, also .ch trickily means Switzerland. I saw the street name and just searched Basel for it. Nearly didn't find it but got there in the end. 5000.

2. God Russia looks grim. I just whacked it in the middle.

3. Not being fooled by the Vegas place. Street signs that say 'Rue' plus the big Saint John sign means I go straight to Canada. I lived there so I know Saint John is a city. The motorway to the south is a nice reference point which made it pretty easy. I was looking for 'Man street' for a while before thinking it probably said Main. 5000.

4. Angle made me feel sick. Japanese writing but that's all I could gleam. Seemed to not be Tokyo.

5. Literally just a street in the Uk. I went for Leicester as it's kind of in the middle. Decent score still.

20,564 in total.

harms

Staff

1. Van says Basel, also .ch trickily means Switzerland. I saw the street name and just searched Basel for it. Nearly didn't find it but got there in the end. 5000.

3. Not being fooled by the Vegas place. Street signs that say 'Rue' plus the big Saint John sign means I go straight to Canada. I lived there so I know Saint John is a city. The motorway to the south is a nice reference point which made it pretty easy. I was looking for 'Man street' for a while before thinking it probably said Main. 5000.

4. Angle made me feel sick. Japanese writing but that's all I could gleam. Seemed to not be Tokyo.

5. Literally just a street in the Uk. I went for Leicester as it's kind of in the middle. Decent score still.

20,564 in total.
1. Same

2. I actually got that street once before. There are a few bits in Russian that can help but without it you're fecked. There's a sign that says something like "glory to the explorers of the Arctic North" (meaning that this town is to the North of the Polar Circle) & a sign with the name of a shopping mall on it — it says Syktyvkar though, which is the city centre of that area. Syktyvkar is to the South of the Polar Circle though, so you have to guess that the name of the shopping centre doesn't mean that it's that city but rather a peripheral town from that area. Vorkyta is one of the most notoriously infamous towns in Russia, it was built completely by prisoners of GULAG as it's just inhumane conditions.

3. Obviously Canada due to English/French signs. Went all over Quebec after I found that there are a lot of Sant-... areas... didn't have enough time to go down to the Sain-John though (found another one but it was clear that it wasn't it), so just clicked on Quebec figuring that it wouldn't be too far away. Could've done better.

4. Clicked on Tokyo because it's close to the middle of Japan in general — had no idea how to establish a closer location though.

5. Just a random UK street, although for some reason I thought that those streets were more of a Northern thing — a bet on Manchester took me way too up North.

21,194 with Vorkyta massively helping me out. Should've done better on Canada

Xeno

20,564 in total.
Basel
Stanzlergasse

Cyrillic
Looks too shit to even be Russia.
Oh, Russian plate on the shit silver car
Clear writing on building at bottom of hill, no idea meaning.
Bet @harms gets it
went generic Siberia

Vegas family entertainment
saint john so canada
simonds & main street
easy

kei car japan
can't see any oither info. crap pic.

uk obv
bin says the pompey recycling so portsmouth?
nothing else so stuck in a terrace in portsmouth dead straight and about correct length
These Russian ones are hard...

decorativeed

My god, how depressing does that place with the big old pile of muck in the middle of a car park look!

The east-asian city one made me feel ill because of the camera being on a wonk. I just plonked it in the middle of Japan to end the round as quickly as possible.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

20,564 in total.
I swear we've had #2 before in another one.

harms

Staff
If I sign up with my Facebook will everyone see who I am ?
I'm pretty sure that it won't show the full name (like Jane D.) but if that matters to you it's probably easier to login vie gmail or any other alternative option.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I'm pretty sure that it won't show the full name (like Jane D.) but if that matters to you it's probably easier to login vie gmail or any other alternative option.
Thanks, I'll probably just use gmail.

Edit: That didn't go well I'm dead last :lol:

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
If I still had pro I'd make some challenges, but I don't. They've got a new "time bank" system now which seems very dumb, but maybe you can still play challenges as normal.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Funnily I've been playing this again in the last two days. They've definitely jooshed it up recently.

I can make another map later.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Funnily I've been playing this again in the last two days. They've definitely jooshed it up recently.

I can make another map later.
Definitely do so if you find the time!