Geopolitics

Deery

Dreary
There's someone in that other thread who jumped to the defence of literal Nazis on the Ukrainian side with the excuse of "they're at fecking war"... It was at that point I clocked out.

The funny thing is, I work for a huge international development organisation who was one of the first humanitarian organisations to react to the conflict in Ukraine. And today my whole day was focused on developing a proposal that was 6-figures and focused entirely on our emergency response in the country. What I said was not out of apparent 'whataboutery', but genuine concern.
There is a lot of racism in that part of the world though, not just Ukraine but Russia also. I think if you were to look even closer to home you’d probably find as much here as well.

RedDevil@84

I haven't found anyone who sympathizes with Russia rather folks like me who are frustrated at similar things being ignored across the world when it's other countries being bullied into submission.

If that's whataboutism or not, it doesn't matter to me. It's hypocrisy so I call it out. Also, yes I'm aware there's a time and place but there were a few weird comments on the other thread and in the news about how this is a bigger deal because Ukraine is an actual civilized country. It just, in my opinion, adds to the idea of poorer and less privileged people not feeling pain the same way.
I think the word "shithole" is used way too liberally for any countries that are fecked up by the "media preferred" countries. It is just a way to legitimize what is being done.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Civilized is a really poor choice of words and I hope that everyone who's used it in reference to this conflict gets some form of comeuppance.

Are biases at play? Absolutely, yes. Ukrainians look like most people in Europe, Canada and the US. They have the same system of government and economies. They could be us. That's why this is hitting harder on the news cycle. Finally, tanks and APCs from one country have not been used on another nation in Europe for a long time. That adds to the shock, despite the terrible events that took place after the collapse of Yuogslavia.

All we can do is hope that the resolution of this conflict leads to more action on other conflicts that are more complex.
Right, I understand relating to it more. Some statements just come across the wrong way, to me anyway. Like it being unbelievable that innocent civilians would die. I hate mentioning it because I don't want to downplay whatever is happening here but I know my posts on an internet forum wont downplay that so might as well get my frustration with the hypocrisy down.

EDIT: Basically, I'm not talking about "oh so where was your concern when X happened" but more about the "Well X never happens and this is the first time it has happened!!"

And yes, one can hope.

rotherham_red

There is a lot of racism in that part of the world though, not just Ukraine but Russia also. I think if you were to look even closer to home you’d probably find as much here as well.
Yeah of course, which I totally understand, but my issue wasn't with that per se, but the fact that the official Twitter account of the Ukrainian military was posting legitimately racist material. That's something else entirely as far as I'm concerned.

Deery

Dreary
Yeah of course, which I totally understand, but my issue wasn't with that per se, but the fact that the official Twitter account of the Ukrainian military was posting legitimately racist material. That's something else entirely as far as I'm concerned.
You would think they would have more sense than to do the like of that I agree there.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
What did they post?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I thought the Novosti article allegedly published in error which was posted in the thread was interesting for how it reflected to a considerable degree some of the core assumptions underlying Huntington’s famous Clash of Civilizations. My instinct has always been to pick holes in the thesis with the consequence that enough hole-picking naturally undermines it entirely. And god knows it’s full of holes. But stuff like this makes me wonder if I’ve missed the point a bit, and that it’s the belief in the Clash that makes it real, a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy, although not one created by Huntington himself.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can you imagine if a team drapped themselves in Palestinan flags during another round of violence? They would get banned from European competition.

Russia is banned from the World Cup for invading Ukraine, while they were allowed to host the fecking Olympics while they were busy invading Afghanistan.
Didn't Pogba and Amad do just that? There was no banning of Utd for it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
That wasn't the club, just 2 players taking a flag from a fan...

But Celtic was fined by Uefa for fans having Palestine flags.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/celtic/...-fine-for-flying-palestine-flags-in-ucl-match
True - although the club also hasn't waved Ukraine flags right?

I guess the Palestine issue is sort of unique given its specific history/situation/various connotations the flag may have. Although I doubt a club would receive similar responses for waving Israeli flags.

IWat

That wasn't the club, just 2 players taking a flag from a fan...

But Celtic was fined by Uefa for fans having Palestine flags.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/celtic/...-fine-for-flying-palestine-flags-in-ucl-match
The problem is they can't be seen to take sides, where there are 2 valid sides. Not condoning Israel at all, but some of the stuff Hamas pulls is equally unacceptable and FIFA can't be seen to be endorsing that either.

In Russia-Ukraine there is only 1 actual rational side to take.

rotherham_red

The problem is they can't be seen to take sides, where there are 2 valid sides. Not condoning Israel at all, but some of the stuff Hamas pulls is equally unacceptable and FIFA can't be seen to be endorsing that either.

Again, the Ukrainian military Twitter account only yesterday posted a video of one member of their literal neo Nazi battalion dipping their bullets in lard ahead of a firefight with Chechen Muslims, who it termed as 'Orcs', a pejorative term in that part of the country. And that's before the numerous breaches of the Geneva Convention that they've been posting constantly since the beginning of the conflict.

If you think there's only one rational side in this conflict, you'd be sorely mistaken.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
where there are 2 valid sides. Not condoning Israel at all, but some of the stuff Hamas pulls is equally
There are two sides to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but they are not equal or equals. It is overwhelmingly recognized by all serious inquirers as asymmetric warfare and de facto apartheid. Of course, Israel has been hit and have objective grievances but the ratio is overwhelmingly worse in every metric for the Palestinians.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
I thought the Novosti article allegedly published in error which was posted in the thread was interesting for how it reflected to a considerable degree some of the core assumptions underlying Huntington’s famous Clash of Civilizations. My instinct has always been to pick holes in the thesis with the consequence that enough hole-picking naturally undermines it entirely. And god knows it’s full of holes. But stuff like this makes me wonder if I’ve missed the point a bit, and that it’s the belief in the Clash that makes it real, a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy, although not one created by Huntington himself.
Is it a legitimate "error"? Not sure to take these things as objectively true when the overwhelming individual images and stories coming out of Ukraine (and the invasion more broadly) have been fabricated.

On the other hand, it does read quite like something you would expect Russian planners to write.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Again, the Ukrainian military Twitter account only yesterday posted a video of one member of their literal neo Nazi battalion dipping their bullets in lard ahead of a firefight with Chechen Muslims, who it termed as 'Orcs', a pejorative term in that part of the country. And that's before the numerous breaches of the Geneva Convention that they've been posting constantly since the beginning of the conflict.

If you think there's only one rational side in this conflict, you'd be sorely mistaken.
That video is vile and a cruel example of using hate/islamaphobic intimidation during a time of war.

But does that video really justify/mean there was a rational decision for Russia to invade Ukraine? It's hardly like Russia has had a spotless history of treating Muslims in it's provinces with respect.

IWat

There are two sides to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but they are not equal or equals. It is overwhelmingly recognized by all serious inquirers as asymmetric warfare and de facto apartheid. Of course, Israel has been hit and have objective grievances but the ratio is overwhelmingly worse in every metric for the Palestinians.
Oh I don't disagree. Israel are the dominant player and go far beyond justifiable force to the point it's war crimes.

That doesn't make what Hamas do OK, just as it would be disgusting if Ukranian's waged an organised suicide bombing campaign against Russian civilians. At which point I hope they would be condemned and I'd see why Fifa would want to stop any support.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
When the public discourse turns to geopolitics, there are always at least two frames of reference in usage at any given moment. Firstly, you have the populist narrative which is given by the media in bitesize chunks for majority consumption (even if their goal was to educate and foster dissent rather than indoctrinate and manufacture consent, on which point I'm open to debate, the sheer volume of material they would have to cover almost debars such attempts). Most of the first frame is dominated by simplistic appeals to emotional sense (scholars of war propaganda will be familiar with the Belgian atrocity stories from the first world war and millions of others before and since). The second, always implicit, frame is geopolitical. Geopolitical strategists, like those who work at state departments around the world, do not live or think in the same frame as the majority of people who get their news from the "news". They instead study maps, troop movements, sociopolitical history, and financial markets. They play the "great game" as a mode of employment (it's what they do, after all). Here's the clash: we, the public, generally do not like to think of it in these terms but geopolitical strategists are not driven by morality but instead by what is optimal for any given state's interest. They speak in terms of the domination of one state (theirs) over another. So here is a good example, which is also prescient as it was written in the 1990s:

If you were to continue reading that book, you would understand that American planners (from all across the spectrum) conceive of conflicts like the current one in terms that are very different/completely removed from the moral frame of reference. They all understand themselves to be competing in the same arena (national/international dominance) and tend to use very similar language despite actual linguistic differences.

Another, related example, from the Financial Times today:

The above is interesting because it frames the first quotation. A lot of simultaneous actions which have many implications beyond any single country. The end of the dollar hegemony is the theme and China's longterm planning for it (understood twentyfive years ago) is the backdrop against which the author is reading the Russian invasion of Ukraine (a hastening or consecration of an inevitable shift in the world order).

The frame of reference for geopolitics is strictly amoral (with a few exceptions: morality is baked into the overall framework as in proportional response theory, but it sits in the background almost never being a forefront issue). As such, it has less to do with with what is right from a moralistic viewpoint and a lot more to do with what is right from a "might is right" point of view ("the strong do what they want, the weak do what they can", as Thucydides said, and that is roughly how state planners engaged in this frame of discourse still tend to think). Or, the dominance hierarchy.

That does not sit well with most people because we like to think that the moral order is primary and the rest is secondary. Reading the newspapers and watching the news, it is the moral frame which is active and the geopolitical is almost always left to the background or brought forward only insofar as it clarifies a given instance of justified morality. Moral views are much truer from a bottom up perspective (it's how we as people, or general public, tend to react) but not from the top down (people who more or less set the tone for political discourse do not think primarily in moral terms). So when people take a view of events from this frame, the one predominantly occupied by state departments, it comes across as amoral largely because it is, technically, amoral: an abstracted, elevated, frame of reference which seeks to understand events in context, both diachronic and synchronic. This does not mean the people are amoral, including state planners or the general person giving an opinion (me in this instance), it just means that two different frames of reference are in play and tend to come into conflict with each other (the reactionary frame criticizes the geopolitical/historical frame as seditious or uncaring and the geopolitical/historical frame criticises the reactionary frame as naive, or generally something along those lines). Often these views are not even mutually exclusive, but appear that way because the centre of one focus is decentered from another.

The point I'm making is probably already understood by most. I am making it here, as the start of a geopolitical thread, because I don't want to derail the Ukraine thread or any other thread with geopolitical "whataboutery" (which is in itself largely the product of two interrelated but temporally distinct frames of reference clashing). I think it's good to have a place where people can put historical and contextual arguments forward, though a live war thread dedicated to updates is definitely not the place for that. So I open this one instead for anyone with any long- or shortform contributions to make about any events that are happening but which contributions are too abstract for the tenor of the tone set by said event (updates are generally what is expected, and that is fair enough).

Not limited to any given conflict, past or present, so no "whataboutery" is possible. I'm primarily interested in understanding the order that is now emerging with Russia/China on one side and US/NATO on the other (with the rest of the world wedged between).

EDIT: This is quite a good video but would threaten to spill into whataboutery as soon as people begin to discuss it in depth and go back a hundred years in history (which is exactly what I mean by two frames that aren't necessarily in disagreement but conflict):
To take the thread back to a higher level a bit (at least for the (long) length of my post): this observation on moral vs. amoral perspectives is an interesting one that I had not consciously thought of - even if I think I did grasp it intuitively.

My own background is in ancient history, and as a researcher, I learned to adopt a very 'functional' approach to understand geopolitical developments (war, expansion - that sort of thing). That means: look past the bravado and narratives of stories and inscriptions, into the practical considerations that may have underlain actions, and you almost invariably end up with motives that are very practical and rational, and pretty far removed from the facade thrown up.

It's generally some sort of combination of that 'might is right' principle, the need to justify one's position as a supreme leader (show a weakness and you start losing legitimacy), and simple practical needs. That's generally a lot less 'poetic' than what the texts give you (and also harder to unearth: 'reading' the historical documentation the right way is quite the skill), but it results in a much more consistent and logical flow of historical circumstances and events.

That gives you the same principle you lined out: events resulting from amoral considerations plastered over by a moral facade. This is quite successful in terms of its explanatory power, and has therefore been my go-to logic for historical developments, in any period of time. But I have been thinking the past year(s) that I have probably gone over too far to that side in my thinking.

A problem with a completely amoral reading of history (including contemporary history and current events) is that it almost removes the personal from the picture. And that can't be right, for at least two reasons. The obvious one is that people aren't all 'programmed' the same way, and will interpret situations differently - sometimes simply completely wrong. That might have various reasons, including having to rely on poor information, but whatever the cause, the result is that the action will seem irrational to us, amoral as it may have been for the individual (or his/her circle) in question.

The other is that individuals are not completely amoral. Although I would argue that they are rare, there have definitely been rulers that were in important ways driven by strong religious, ideological, or other 'moral' opinions. (Being driven by those in minor ways has probably been more common, but then of course also much less influential on actions taken.) This may come later in someone's reign, and I think it's generally not when the person's doing best - but I think it's necessary to be able to understand some things.

Case in point (no, this is not just an entirely abstract book of boring rambling - well of most that, just not entirely abstract): Putin. Cause I think you cannot exclusively explain what he is doing in Ukraine through amoral considerations. (I think that applies less in the past, and that Putin may thus have changed over time in this regard. But I'm no expert in all that and won't speculate too much. Or not even more, anyway.)

Yes, Ukraine has enormous potential in natural resources, is a bridge to parts of Europea, further unlocks the Black Sea for Russia, and is simply pretty big with a fairly large population; and yes, I suppose Russia could consider NATO encroachment as a risk in the long term - but there appear to be some serious flaws in the tactic used based on how the invasion is working out. An excuse here is probably poor information on the thinking of Ukrainians, if there was indeed an assumption that they would welcome Russia's intervention in its political leadership; but such an assumption would only seem believable to someone with strong preconceived notions of Russian-Ukrainian bonds - which would have to be even strong if that information wasn't there.

I'm cutting this short a bit and probably overlooking some aspects here. But as much as you can clearly see Russia put a moral facade on the situation ('we're saving the Ukraine!' - and everything else in their months-long propaganda campaign), I don't think you can explain why this situation came to be purely through amoral, geopolitical considerations. I think you do need a mix of both here.

OK, yes, that was far too long. And I suppose part of your point was rather to show how public discussion (also in the media) quickly goes the moral way and underestimates the amoral side, leading to a profound disconnect and misunderstanding - none of which I t touched upon at all. But then I do agree with that, and anyway, I enjoyed riding my hobby horse (well, one of many) for a bit here.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
A problem with a completely amoral reading of history (including contemporary history and current events) is that it almost removes the personal from the picture. And that can't be right, for at least two reasons. The obvious one is that people aren't all 'programmed' the same way, and will interpret situations differently - sometimes simply completely wrong. That might have various reasons, including having to rely on poor information, but whatever the cause, the result is that the action will seem irrational to us, amoral as it may have been for the individual (or his/her circle) in question.

The other is that individuals are not completely amoral. Although I would argue that they are rare, there have definitely been rulers that were in important ways driven by strong religious, ideological, or other 'moral' opinions. (Being driven by those in minor ways has probably been more common, but then of course also much less influential on actions taken.) This may come later in someone's reign, and I think it's generally not when the person's doing best - but I think it's necessary to be able to understand some things.

Case in point (no, this is not just an entirely abstract book of boring rambling - well of most that, just not entirely abstract): Putin. Cause I think you cannot exclusively explain what he is doing in Ukraine through amoral considerations. (I think that applies less in the past, and that Putin may thus have changed over time in this regard. But I'm no expert in all that and won't speculate too much. Or not even more, anyway.)
That is all true. The conflict is expressed in different binary oppositions (dyads in fact): profile/abstract; qualitative/quantitative; agency/structure. The individual story which typifies propaganda made for mass consumption is almost always rendered in profile and emphasizes agency (or loss thereof) over and above structure. The difficult part is that these two frames are not mutually exclusive, though focus upon one does temporarily decenter or exclude the other. It's a famous linguistic proposition made by Ferdinand de Saussure but which has influenced all varieties of theory ever since (in fact, Saussure just best codified the already extant tension as many others had written on the topic before him).

So, when you take the very complex network of class relationships which comprise an economy into account, you have an equally complex distribution of labour whereby state planners and so forth are trained to view the world within a certain frame (quantitative for the most part, and abstract) whereas politicians are trained (or learn as autodidacts) to translate this technical jargon into another frame of reference (profile, or qualitative). The one is technocratic and emphasizes rationality, the other is populist and seeks to explain a disaggregation of interconnected facts in the simplest, typically emotional, form possible. This doesn't, however, preclude the technocrat from being emotional or the populist (journalist/politician/layperson) from being rational. It's just that certain classes (practice) incubate certain behavioral modes which in turn manifests as habit (both individual and institutional).

The modern industrial state utilizes a wide variety of means (perspectives) to achieve a common goal (state interest). It isn't an infallible machine which always goes according to plan, but nor is it the disordered chaos of "free choice" that it is usually presented to us as being. The point regarding war and (a)morality then resolves around two or three key facts: firstly, every state is typically perceived to be following their own interests and playing the same game; secondly, the game is class-based; thirdly, as class reflects habit (mode of perspective and means of thinking), the habitual means by which we learn of stories via the media (profile or abstract?) always conceals something of the framer's intent which cannot be easily distinguished from their own class interest.

The point of "manufacturing consent" is that people do it without being told or forced into it. They surmise that it is best for their personal career to go with a given line and they promote that line as vociferously as they can. Also, they may not even surmise this fact. It can be entirely subconscious or justified as what they actually believe (they may in fact actually believe it). And here is where it gets murky because you cannot know the motive entirely without constructing a false position within which a neutral observer sits (there are no such people). What I have grasped, however, and it seems pretty factual, is that the media do not want you to have the geopolitical frame of reference unless it coincides with the particular moral frame within a given instance. I.e., you see arbitrary framing mechanisms and people deciding when to begin a story (where does the history of the conflict start?).

But, tl;dr, the primary tension is between structure and agency (between profile, which is personal, and abstract which is typically sociological). Neither is more valid than another, rather each represents one side of the same coin divided by temporal considerations and notions of micro/macro. A dialectic, to put it even more simply, (as historian, you will be aware of this stemming form Marx, Hegel, Nietzsche, Comte, or from whomever). So long story short, I wouldn't diminish the personality behind the state actor (Putin's personal reasons, or the benign dictator, in your other example of the aging ruler), I would simply look to the frame of reference which informs macro strategical moves before trusting or taking any individual narrative as key.

2cents

Scout
Is it a legitimate "error"? Not sure to take these things as objectively true when the overwhelming individual images and stories coming out of Ukraine (and the invasion more broadly) have been fabricated.

On the other hand, it does read quite like something you would expect Russian planners to write.
Well the article is being taken seriously by serious people (e.g. Thomas de Waal is one of my go-to people for Caucasus stuff). Can’t say more than that personally.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Sorry, just to be explicit on this.

Your conclusion is that because there members of the far-right, racists, in Ukraine who are also fighting the Russia invasion, that Ukraine is no longer on the “rational side in this conflict”?

This is exactly why whataboutism is a tool of disinformation to sow discord between people. It allows the dictators of cruel, destructive regimes to get away with things because rather than engage in critical thought and weigh-up the total merits of both sides, you just write everybody off.

It happened when Russia was committing atrocities in Syria, and is happening now in Ukraine… and it will happen again in every conflict.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
True - although the club also hasn't waved Ukraine flags right?

I guess the Palestine issue is sort of unique given its specific history/situation/various connotations the flag may have. Although I doubt a club would receive similar responses for waving Israeli flags.

A few things that annoy me:

- People need to realize Hamas do not control all of Palestine, they are only in control of Gaza, from where they fire rockets. A majority of Palestine is the West Bank, which is controled by Fatah. The West Bank continues to be occupied and Palestinains are systematically being removed from their homes there for illegal settlers, they have road blocks throughout the city that limit their travel and are generally humiliated by Israeli soliders on their land. It's funny that absolutely no one in the Western media talks about this side whenever the subject of Israel/Palestine comes about, it's always about Hamas firing rockets but not about how Israel continues to occupy and humiliate millions of people, kicking them off their homes.

- What 'specific' history is there to Israel Palestine that somehow validates what Israel is doing in the West Bank versus Russia Ukraine? Aren't Russia spouting nonsense that Ukraine used to be part of Russia for centuries as part justification, why is that somehow less ridiculous that Israel saying this used to be our land 2000 years ago so we get to invade it?

This is the exact bias that is being criticized in this thread. For Israel Palestine, people will find the smallest bit of information to justify the war crimes going on there but for Russia Ukraine, Ukraine is all innocent no matter what they do in this and Russia has no justification.

And let me clarify myself, Ukrainians are mostly innocent and there is NO justification for what Russia is doing, but at the same time there is NO justification for what Israel have been doing in the West Bank and Gaza for half a century now. But you won't hear the later in majority of the Western media.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Sorry, just to be explicit on this.

Your conclusion is that because there members of the far-right, racists, in Ukraine who are also fighting the Russia invasion, that Ukraine is no longer on the “rational side in this conflict”?

This is exactly why whataboutism is a tool of disinformation to sow discord between people. It allows the dictators of cruel, destructive regimes to get away with things because rather than engage in critical thought and weigh-up the total merits of both sides, you just write everybody off.

It happened when Russia was committing atrocities in Syria, and is happening now in Ukraine… and it will happen again in every conflict.
Nope. That's not what I'm saying

It's that the official Twitter account of the Ukrainian military are legitimising these people. I couldn't give a diddly squat about them being there. There are bad people everywhere after all, but you'd hope a country that's rational wouldn't amplify those bad eggs.

After all, I'm sure there were British and American communists who went and fought in WW2, do you reckon Churchill and Roosevelt felt the need to say they were doing a bang up job and feck the bourgeoisie?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Nope. That's not what I'm saying

It's that the official Twitter account of the Ukrainian military are legitimising these people. I couldn't give a diddly squat about them being there. There are bad people everywhere after all, but you'd hope a country that's rational wouldn't amplify those bad eggs.

After all, I'm sure there were British and American communists who went and fought in WW2, do you reckon Churchill and Roosevelt felt the need to say they were doing a bang up job and feck the bourgeoisie?
Didn't know that Ukraine army's official twitter account posted it, that's quite bad.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

Had to do a double take on who wrote this but it’s commendable.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Had to do a double take on who wrote this but it’s commendable.
Again mentioning Yemen in that tweet while ignoring that the 8-year Donbass war also barely got covered in Western media in the last years. A 'fresh' conflict will always get lots of coverage and then fizzle out.

With that being said, the commentary from several pundits obviously was shocking, for example saying "blond hair blue eyed people getting hurt, this is all so shocking" or the "cilivized people dying". There's plenty of comments to call out and criticize.

2cents

Scout
With that being said, the commentary from several pundits obviously was shocking, for example saying "blond hair blue eyed people getting hurt, this is all so shocking" or the "cilivized people dying". There's plenty of comments to call out and criticize.
The other one is along the lines of “scenes not seen in Europe for 80 years”, as if the breakup of Yugoslavia never happened.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The other one is along the lines of “scenes not seen in Europe for 80 years”, as if the breakup of Yugoslavia never happened.
Indeed. In fact, we literally saw a genocide going on in that conflict.

IWat

A few things that annoy me:

- People need to realize Hamas do not control all of Palestine, they are only in control of Gaza, from where they fire rockets. A majority of Palestine is the West Bank, which is controled by Fatah. The West Bank continues to be occupied and Palestinains are systematically being removed from their homes there for illegal settlers, they have road blocks throughout the city that limit their travel and are generally humiliated by Israeli soliders on their land. It's funny that absolutely no one in the Western media talks about this side whenever the subject of Israel/Palestine comes about, it's always about Hamas firing rockets but not about how Israel continues to occupy and humiliate millions of people, kicking them off their homes.

- What 'specific' history is there to Israel Palestine that somehow validates what Israel is doing in the West Bank versus Russia Ukraine? Aren't Russia spouting nonsense that Ukraine used to be part of Russia for centuries as part justification, why is that somehow less ridiculous that Israel saying this used to be our land 2000 years ago so we get to invade it?

This is the exact bias that is being criticized in this thread. For Israel Palestine, people will find the smallest bit of information to justify the war crimes going on there but for Russia Ukraine, Ukraine is all innocent no matter what they do in this and Russia has no justification.

And let me clarify myself, Ukrainians are mostly innocent and there is NO justification for what Russia is doing, but at the same time there is NO justification for what Israel have been doing in the West Bank and Gaza for half a century now. But you won't hear the later in majority of the Western media.
I'm really not interested in opening the can of worms that is Israel-Palestine. I've already said Israel is carrying out war crimes. The only way out of it in my eyes is a two-state solution. Why Israel continue to proceed with the resettlement is beyond me.

My comments were in relation to flags at football games. I don't think either the Palestine or Israel flags would be appropriate at a football game right now. I don't think that makes me biased, just based on FIFAs rules it would be inappropriate.

reelworld

I'm really not interested in opening the can of worms that is Israel-Palestine. I've already said Israel is carrying out war crimes. The only way out of it in my eyes is a two-state solution. Why Israel continue to proceed with the resettlement is beyond me.

My comments were in relation to flags at football games. I don't think either the Palestine or Israel flags would be appropriate at a football game right now. I don't think that makes me biased, just based on FIFAs rules it would be inappropriate.
I think the point that if Ukraine flags is (or will be) fair game in football matches to show supports, then Palestine flags should be too

IWat

I think the point that if Ukraine flags is (or will be) fair game in football matches to show supports, then Palestine flags should be too
Ukraine as of yet has not carried out a campaign against Russian civilians that I am aware of. If the Palestinian flag just represented Fatah from recent years then I hardly think it's objectionable, but we all know that it represents more to some just as the Israeli flag does.

The Corinthian

Again mentioning Yemen in that tweet while ignoring that the 8-year Donbass war also barely got covered in Western media in the last years. A 'fresh' conflict will always get lots of coverage and then fizzle out.

Fair points. I guess it's a combination of the narrative (what you're alluding to in your second paragraph) with the general apathy seen in the west for atrocities that occur in Africa, and the Middle East that has left a sour taste in the mouth of a few people (myself included).

The second thing is just the level of hypocrisy by the West. Imposing strict economic sanctions on Russia with one hand and selling literal billions in arms to the Saudis so they can demolish the people of Yemen with the other.

The Corinthian

Ukraine as of yet has not carried out a campaign against Russian civilians that I am aware of. If the Palestinian flag just represented Fatah from recent years then I hardly think it's objectionable, but we all know that it represents more to some just as the Israeli flag does.
The Palestinian flag is the Palestinian flag.

Here it is -

Hamas have their own flag. Here it is:

So, going by your logic, you really shouldn't have a problem with a Palestinian flag.

IWat

The Palestinian flag is the Palestinian flag.

Here it is -

Hamas have their own flag. Here it is:

So, going by your logic, you really shouldn't have a problem with a Palestinian flag.
Have either of you ever actually been to an anti-Israel demo and seen some of the tripe that gets said by people waving the Palestinian flag? Often times seemingly having no direct links to Palestine? I have, and it's not a majority in fairness, but it's certainly a significant minority. (And yes, yes... There are exactly the same scum on the other side)

This is common sense when FIFA takes the stance of being apolitical. You're welcome to your views.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Google the Fatah flag - it would be fecking hilarious if this was flown as a symbol of peace at football matches :lol: