George Best At His Brilliant Best

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Figured that I'd share it on here as well for those of you guys who are interested in Manchester United's history. This is pretty much the complete overview of the remaining footage featuring George Best's. I've spent many months compiling this and searching for the most obscure bits footage, so you'll probably see something new even if you're fairly familiar with the subject.

Reactions: Invictus

Threesus

His style of play is so similar to messi.

also, is he the best dribbler that the old 1st division/PL has seen? Or is it any one of giggs, hazard, John Barnes, henry?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I hate word repetition so much. Can't it just be 'George Best at His Most Brilliant'?

:lol: ahh sorry @harms good work on the compilation. Don't mind my moaning about style.

Last edited:

BestRed

Great compilation pal, what a player he was, unreal balance and skill, absolutely brilliant. :drool:

Great video. I'm not sure what's worse, the pitches or the tackles.

There will always be a question mark over how good he really was, but I don't know of many people who actually saw him play who don't say he's the best ever.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What most strikes me from that video - I mean, besides the incredible balance, dribbling, close control, acceleration and finishing ability of George Best - is how much more passionate the commentators were in those days.

"Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful."

That's just great commentary.

Thanks for posting @harms

Oldyella

His style of play is so similar to messi.

also, is he the best dribbler that the old 1st division/PL has seen? Or is it any one of giggs, hazard, John Barnes, henry?
Just can't compare. It's almost Impossible to compare Hazard and Barnes let alone any of these and Best. Almost like a different game then and now.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Great video. I'm not sure what's worse, the pitches or the tackles.

There will always be a question mark over how good he really was, but I don't know of many people who actually saw him play who don't say he's the best ever.
Probably both in equal measure.

The one where Chopper Harris caught him. What we nowadays call ABH…

… and the one where he did but it didn’t stop him, because of his balance, bravery and love of scoring.

Brilliant @harms

PS. I like the music. I was expecting Peter Sellers or Austin Powers to appear

Last edited:

Dearg hÉireann

Brilliant video Harms .

Wow what a player that man was, whether or not people think he was the greatest they must admit that he was a special player with the most unique balance of any player until Maradonna then Messi came on the scene.

His dribbling on those bogs that they called pitches was absolutely joyous to see. He played to entertain and to have fun and I truly believe if he was playing in this generation he'd be on a par with Messi and he is the greatest of this time.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
We’ve been lucky to have some unbelievable players play for us…..Edwards, Charlton, Law, Robson, Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Becks, Ronaldo etc….but George is the Best

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I watched George Best play quite a few times at Filbert Street, Leicester in the 60's & he was the most amazing football player I have ever seen in 60 years of watching football.

Bestofthebest

Brilliant video of a brilliant player. Saw a lot of the clips at OT and other places. Genius player, what a shame he ended up the way he did.

Dread Devil

Great video, he really was pure magic….nice to hear different music to the normal videos and also the inclusion of a few misses….I think modern supporters expect magic every time…..the way he stayed on his feet is a testament to his upbringing and the times….thanks for putting it together , will watch again for sure..

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
George Best was simply THE BEST.
I used to work with a guy a generation or so older than me - he had been to the 1966 WC final as a 16 year old, to put things into perspective. A Coventry City fan he was, but we would talk football and he said of all the players he ever saw live, George Best was the greatest.

My own memory is a sad one - it must have been about 1981/82 and he appeared on that TV Show Superstars - older people will remember it. Top athletes competed in sports unfamiliar to themselves - cycling, swimming, gym stuff etc. Kevin Keegan once fell off a road bike & got quite a nasty injury, imagine that these days! Anyway George was on it and he looked so fit, he must of been I reckon 34/35 and I just hoped it meant a come-back was on the cards - it wasn't to be...

They should have at least got him in 'Escape to Victory', good looking fella!

I once read that in the 'swinging 60s' in music there were the Beatles, in films Sean Connery (007) and in football George Best - but the Beatles could share the fame between the four of them, Connery could walk away from Bond, which he did, but George was just George and he had issues 'cos of that.

I won't repeat the Miss World story, everybody knows it, but it always makes me chuckle....

Reactions: mazhar13

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I have a hard time separating the player from the man nowadays, unfortunately. I blame Giggs.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He is. The battle for the runners up spot would be quite formidable — Finney (my personal favourite, although there's scarcely any footage), Matthews, Giggs, Hazard, Cristiano & probably Barnes, but Best is the number one.

wolvored

Great video. Imagine if he could have played on the billiard table pitches nowadays? Would have been even better.

big rons sovereign

What most strikes me from that video - I mean, besides the incredible balance, dribbling, close control, acceleration and finishing ability of George Best - is how much more passionate the commentators were in those days.

"Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful."

That's just great commentary.

Thanks for posting @harms
It's certainly better than Jim beglin saying everything is shit. Unless it's a 3 yard sideways pass from Henderson, in that case it's brilliant..

big rons sovereign

The thing I've always noticed with Best is there's never any fancy stuff, it's always just balance and close control.
He glides past opponents with the slightest touch, a split second quicker than them, Messi is the same. Maradona too.

I find that kind of play far more exciting than the flicks and stepovers.
Being a winger myself I always found the tricks and stuff to be exhausting. Plus people tend to kick you more for it :)

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
His speed with the ball in his feet must've been something else back then.

It makes some of his opponents look like thei're playing football for the first time.

Would've been interesting to time travel modern centre-backs in there, with the equipment they had then, for the fun of it.

Last edited:

mancsarered

With the nutrition of today's footballers, how can anyone doubt that he would be the greatest to ever do it? Absolutely breathtaking to watch. Devastating to see the state he was in at the end of his life and think about what could have been if he didn't battle those demons.

SirMattlives

Happy memories. Oh, those pitches. This collection reminds me of how much he tormented Chopper Harris over various matches. Harris resorted to GBH as it was the only thing he had in his locker against the genius of Best.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That was a brilliant watch! Can't imagine the amount of work that must have gone into that. Cheers for yet another brilliant compilation @harms

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Figured that I'd share it on here as well for those of you guys who are interested in Manchester United's history. This is pretty much the complete overview of the remaining footage featuring George Best's. I've spent many months compiling this and searching for the most obscure bits footage, so you'll probably see something new even if you're fairly familiar with the subject.
Amazing job. What a player he was.

Kramer

That was an absolutely amazing watch. Thanks a lot for putting this together. Must have been a lot of effort!

The body feinting dribbling technique, change of direction at will. Two footedness and balance. What a truly special player!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He is. The battle for the runners up spot would be quite formidable — Finney (my personal favourite, although there's scarcely any footage), Matthews, Giggs, Hazard, Cristiano & probably Barnes, but Best is the number one.
What I think is so impressive is the how he managed that control on those pitches. It would be interesting to see how the more modern dribblers like Hazard and Cristiano would cope with the football equivalent of dribbling through treacle.