George Best

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Apart from being one of most gifted footballers ever, he was actually also a footballer who was entertaining to listen to when he opened his mouth which is rare amongst footballers. At least until he became a retired alcoholic.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I can't even imagine what it would be like to follow his career if he played in today's age of social media and no privacy whatsoever, he'd possibly still be the biggest star in all sports.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Weird to think he's 4 years younger than Alex Ferguson. They seem like they're from different eras.

FireballXL5

He's still my footballing idol. No one has ever come close to him in my opinion.

Member 113277

A GOAT. I p!ss myself when people opine that he wouldn't be able to get around modern defenders.

RIP George and thanks for the memories.

Last edited by a moderator:

simplyared

Saw him at OT on his debut. Knew he would be special. Never seen a footballer ever who had so much natural talent. Kick with both feet, unbelievable balance and change of pace. He had everything! Style and looks taboot. Watching Best was like seeing poetry in motion. Should never have ended up as it did. Very sad!

Last edited:

Denis' cuff

Saw him at OT on his debut. New he would be special. Never seen a footballer ever who had so much natural talent. Kick with both feet, unbelievable balance and change of pace. He had everything! Style and looks taboot. Watching Best was like seeing poetry in motion. Should never have ended up as it did. Very sad!
yep. Hugely privileged to have seen his career from debut to sad and frustrating end. Ridiculously brilliant player.

plenty of comments in the media from giants such as Pele, Maradonna, Beckenbauer, Eusebio, Cruyff etc etc

also, separately and unconnected, Michael Ballack saying no wonder Van Dyke is considered the best in the PL when he didn’t have to face Drogba, Lampard, Shearer, Rooney etc... would’ve loved to see him attempt to stop Charlie Cooke, never mind George.

Member 113277

Saw him at OT on his debut. New he would be special. Never seen a footballer ever who had so much natural talent. Kick with both feet, unbelievable balance and change of pace. He had everything! Style and looks taboot. Watching Best was like seeing poetry in motion. Should never have ended up as it did. Very sad!
At least he did enough to show he was a GOAT and achieved much more than most of us will do, even if he could have achieved more.

United58

A GOAT. I p!ss myself when people opine that he wouldn't be able to get around modern defenders.

Watch videos of him - he was hacked to pieces and still went past defenders like they weren't there. He'd probably be even better in the 21st century with so much more protection/less risk of a career-ending injury

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Best player ever and this was said by Pele himself.

In 1976 Johann Cruyf was being touted as a phenomenon and Northern Ireland played Holland in a friendly.

The first time the ball came to George Best he looked around for Cruyf, went up to him and nutmegged him - then he looked up at the press box with a smile on his face!! :lol:

Posh Red

Best player ever and this was said by Pele himself.

In 1976 Johann Cruyf was being touted as a phenomenon and Northern Ireland played Holland in a friendly.

The first time the ball came to George Best he looked around for Cruyf, went up to him and nutmegged him - then he looked up at the press box with a smile on his face!! :lol:
The best part was the pre match interview. He was asked if Cruyff was as good as him, and responded by saying he would nutmeg Cruyff the first opportunity he got.

United58

The best part was the pre match interview. He was asked if Cruyff was as good as him, and responded by saying he would nutmeg Cruyff the first opportunity he got.
Any link to the interview? I YouTubed it but couldn't find it

Member 113277

Watch videos of him - he was hacked to pieces and still went past defenders like they weren't there. He'd probably be even better in the 21st century with so much more protection/less risk of a career-ending injury
You're right. With modern footwear, fitness and refereeing, he clean everyone up - he might do in old kit, tbh. That acceleration was awesome.

No Love

Saw him at OT on his debut. Knew he would be special. Never seen a footballer ever who had so much natural talent. Kick with both feet, unbelievable balance and change of pace. He had everything! Style and looks taboot. Watching Best was like seeing poetry in motion. Should never have ended up as it did. Very sad!
What a privilege. I feel very jealous that you witnessed such a thing, I must admit. Living close to where George was born, I love to hear stories about him and watch videos. Of course, the snippets cannot do full justice to the man, but they give a slight flavour of what he was all about as a player. I can only assume he was awe inspiring to watch live.

El Zoido

My dad used to go to every game in that era, says there’s never been a better player. People discuss who the greatest player ever was, but anyone who watched George Best every week doesn’t even hesitate with their answer. Says a lot to me.

Member 113277

My dad used to go to every game in that era, says there’s never been a better player. People discuss who the greatest player ever was, but anyone who watched George Best every week doesn’t even hesitate with their answer. Says a lot to me.
I was lucky enough to see him in person; think Messi (who is magnificent) but 2 footed and good in the air, as well.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
So it was the consequence of his pre-match interview which he fulfilled. :D

Luke1995

The first true worldwide footballing superstar. Always wonder how popular he would be in the social media age and if with the media training available to players today he would cope better with the fame.

He was actually asked by the coach to come back to Manchester United in 1983, as revealed in his book

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Can't imagine how great it would have been to see him, Charlton and Edwards in today's generation of widely broadcast, HD television.

I've seen tapes of the 68 final and 57 FA Cup final. Great watches.

kirk buttercup

Spent my childhood watching videos of him. Absolutely loved him , a Genius . We Miss you George . Legend .

killerboi2

A bit before my time so I only really know him from Youtube compilations as I'm sure a few other fans on here do. I must have watched quite a few of them back in the day and I still remember the songs in them :lol: I'm sure a lot of people have seen the My Immortal one that used to be Duran Duran - Ordinary World. There was also a long one to the Beatles - I saw her standing there and some other songs.