George Floyd | Chauvin guilty on all counts | Sentenced to 22.5 years

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Trial begins today. I am surprised about how nervous I am. I normally find it difficult to get emotionally invested about things that don't concern me or my family but I really want this bastard to be found guilty.

Jam

Trial begins today. I am surprised about how nervous I am. I normally find it difficult to get emotionally invested about things that don't concern me or my family but I really want this bastard to be found guilty.
We can only hope. This murderous thug needs to be made an example of that actions have consequences for rogue police.

I saw this picture today:

It's from a First Nations community (as they are called in Canada) from northwestern Ontario that has been under a boil water advisory since 1995. Obviously, then, they feel the governments don't care about them - as expressed in this text.

It made me think about the All Lives Matter idiots again. Looking at this photo here, no-one would say that these people are suggesting that only Neskantaga lives matter. That would make no logical sense. What's the difference with Black Lives Matter? (Yes, this is a theoretical question.)
I think you already know the answer. Which is the entire point of the movement in the first place.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Unfortunately I can’t see this ending well. I doubt he will he convicted of all charges & potentially none (especially when considering some of the info on the jurors). Any perception of leniency on him could ignite a powder keg of emotion. Thankfully we don’t have a lame duck Trump in office if the flare ups indeed occur.

DavidDeSchmikes

watching that arrest video in full during the prosecution opening statement. Horrifying

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think you already know the answer. Which is the entire point of the movement in the first place.
Sorry, that should have said 'rhetorical question'. Nice typo that pretty much reverses the point of my post... :houllier:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Aw, that's sweet... ;)

Edit: Depending on how you mean it...! :D
The good way.

On the negative side, I thought you Dutch were supposed to be better at this English language thing than us native speakers. Be better.

...I think at some point you said you were originally from Holland. If my old brain is wrong I blame it on the beer....

Wolverine

watching that arrest video in full during the prosecution opening statement. Horrifying
Same, I might follow it all the way through. I read the medical examiner autopsy reports all the way through so will be interesting to hear arguments around it. Especially surrounding cause of death, asphyxiation signs, cause of death, exacerbating factors etc.
On the other hand just hearing the defence attorney's opening statement made my blood boil a bit so probably shouldn't, just can't be dispassionate about this.

Mike Smalling

Unfortunately I can’t see this ending well. I doubt he will he convicted of all charges & potentially none (especially when considering some of the info on the jurors). Any perception of leniency on him could ignite a powder keg of emotion. Thankfully we don’t have a lame duck Trump in office if the flare ups indeed occur.
Agreed. If he ends up convicted on only the manslaughter charge, I think things could get ugly again.

Can anyone explain what the prosecution has to prove for each of the three charges? Does second degree murder include intent to kill?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Same, I might follow it all the way through. I read the medical examiner autopsy reports all the way through so will be interesting to hear arguments around it. Especially surrounding cause of death, asphyxiation signs, cause of death, exacerbating factors etc.
On the other hand just hearing the defence attorney's opening statement made my blood boil a bit so probably shouldn't, just can't be dispassionate about this.
You are better person than me, I can't bring myself to watch this. From the horror of the prosecution sides to the horribleness of the defense I can't see me not destroying my laptop.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The good way.

On the negative side, I thought you Dutch were supposed to be better at this English language thing than us native speakers. Be better.

...I think at some point you said you were originally from Holland. If my old brain is wrong I blame it on the beer....
Ha, white text. :) Entirely right, been in Canada less than 10 years. I've actually recently started to not really identify myself with 'Dutch' anymore. Just 'Canadian' doesn't really work either though; Dutch-Canadian I guess. Anyway, sloppiness is universal, or at least, I have been sloppy in every country I've lived. (Which may not be what universal means. ;) ) No idea how I ended up with 'theoretical question' there. :lol:

NotThatSoph

Ha, white text. :) Entirely right, been in Canada less than 10 years. I've actually recently started to not really identify myself with 'Dutch' anymore. Just 'Canadian' doesn't really work either though; Dutch-Canadian I guess. Anyway, sloppiness is universal, or at least, I have been sloppy in every country I've lived. (Which may not be what universal means. ;) ) No idea how I ended up with 'theoretical question' there. :lol:
In my experience my English was the most "correct" when I quite a bit worse at it. Now I'm fluent enough that I don't really think about how I write, considering sentence structure, spelling and grammatical rules, I just write what comes naturally which inevevitably brings with it mistakes.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Spent the entire afternoon watching this. Surprised more aren't.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What's this about the jurors?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In my experience my English was the most "correct" when I quite a bit worse at it. Now I'm fluent enough that I don't really think about how I write, considering sentence structure, spelling and grammatical rules, I just write what comes naturally which inevevitably brings with it mistakes.
I think for myself it actually continues to improve, as I have to write a lot for my work. That's formal writing, but for myself, I try to combine formal with lively (e.g., active tenses, sentence structure variety), and concise, and that's always a work in progress. I also continue to learn new words and expressions - although they become increasingly arcane. So as I said, I think my English continues to improve, but I'm a little lazy here on the forum. (Which is also where that 'theoretical' comes from. I was probably mixing up concepts in my mind when writing, and then didn't bother checking my post back properly before posting it.)

Did anything new come up at the trial today btw? The summary I read didn't seem to add to what's already been in the news.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
It'll be bad. When will the trial be over?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I haven't been following, but with the trial now underway, has their been more protests? Or is everyone just watching and waiting to see the outcome at the moment.

I fully expect the result won't be what the public are after, and things will really kick off again straight after. Though at least Biden isn't likely to fan the flames like Trump did.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What's this about the jurors?
Tried looking for a link, but what I read was a few weeks ago. I remember seeing two of them openly stating ‘Blue Lives Matter’ in their responses & other right wing drek. I don’t see these jurors having an open mind & being very resistant to any evidence that doesn’t fit into their preconceived mindsets.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Has the trial revealed anything that wasn't known so far?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The defence lawyer actually said that he would have died anyway??? wtf :houllier:

Hospitals are full of people who are going to die anyway, should the process be speeded up, because, well, they're going to die anyway?

Basically, he has no defence if that is his defence.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The defence lawyer actually said that he would have died anyway??? wtf :houllier:

Hospitals are full of people who are going to die anyway, should the process be speeded up, because, well, they're going to die anyway?

Yeah, there's no way I can watch this. Id be far too stressed out and pissed off with the world. I'll just hope for a correct verdict and follow in here.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

This might boil down to which juror believes which autopsy report.

The ‘he would have already died’ Strategy might be the defense’s strongest case to ensure Chauvin is found innocent on at least one of the charges.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
This might boil down to which juror believes which autopsy report.

The ‘he would have already died’ Strategy might be the defense’s strongest case to ensure Chauvin is found innocent on at least one of the charges.
But, if he hadn't had a knee on his neck, he wouldn't have died at the moment he died, surely on that point there is no doubt?

If he's struggling so much that the only way to restrain him is a knee on the back of his neck, seems there must have been a fair bit of fight in him still.

If he might have died the next day, or 3 days later, it's irrelevant. As I said, hospitals are full of people who are going to die tomorrow, or in the next 3 days.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
But, if he hadn't had a knee on his neck, he wouldn't have died at the moment he died, surely on that point there is no doubt?

If he might have died the next day, or 3 days later, it's irrelevant. As I said, hospitals are full of people who are going to die tomorrow, or in the next 3 days.
My response to those who say he died because he was on drugs or covid or other preexists has always been ‘why didn’t Floyd die earlier that day?’

All the defense needs to do is inject some reasonable doubt into the mind of even just one juror to keep their client from being found guilty. Even a mistrial or a hung jury is a win for the defense.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
My response to those who say he died because he was on drugs or covid or other preexists has always been ‘why didn’t Floyd die earlier that day?’

All the defense needs to do is inject some reasonable doubt into the mind of even just one juror to keep their client from being found guilty. Even a mistrial or a hung jury is a win for the defense.
I think, from what I've read about the opening statements the strategy is exactly that, just enough reasonable doubt that the "restraining technique" wasn't solely responsible for George's death. Mistrial, hung jury, downgraded plea that will give him no jail time.

I'd imagine they are going to use the "police are targeted in prisons" reason to get him out of jail time if they go for a downgraded plea.

Gehrman

I think part of it hangs on, how much fentanyl did he have in his system at the time? There is also the fact that he shouted "I can't breathe" about 8 times before he had a knee on his neck. Question here is whether enough force was put on his neck to impede his breathing. However keeping your knee on a man's neck who says he can't breathe for 9,5 minutes is mental..

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think part of it hangs on, how much fentanyl did he have in his system at the time? There is also the fact that he shouted "I can't breathe" about 8 times before he had a knee on his neck. Question here is whether enough force was put on his neck to impede his breathing. However keeping your knee on a man's neck who says he can't breathe for 9,5 minutes is mental..
The cop had to have felt his body go limp. A wrestling or MMA ref would have called it very early in the kneeing process.

I don’t think force necessarily matters too much when the body weight of Chauvin himself should be enough to collapse an airway. This could probably be proven scientifically.

Gehrman

The cop had to have felt his body go limp. A wrestling or MMA ref would have called it very early in the kneeing process.

I don’t think force necessarily matters too much when the body weight of Chauvin himself should be enough to collapse an airway. This could probably be proven scientifically.
I completely agree.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Tried looking for a link, but what I read was a few weeks ago. I remember seeing two of them openly stating ‘Blue Lives Matter’ in their responses & other right wing drek. I don’t see these jurors having an open mind & being very resistant to any evidence that doesn’t fit into their preconceived mindsets.
:( was watching parts of it yesterday and the witness with a MMA background, said it all really. Not sure how he will get off the hook, if he does there isn't really any justice.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
:( was watching parts of it yesterday and the witness with a MMA background, said it all really. Not sure how he will get off the hook, if he does there isn't really any justice.
There is alot of injustice in the american system. Nothing new here.

He'll get manslaughter and 5 years max I'd say, out in 2 or 3 (just guessing)

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Prepare for more riots then.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

He will be cleared of all charges on technicalities. It’s a culture war, they know it’s going to result in more riots, violence and destruction but that’s just fine because it will get the right people even more entrenched in their views against BLM.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What did this witness say?

kidbob

I can imagine he will get a slap on the wrist for misconduct or possibly misbehaviour but no way he will get the charge he deserves unfortunately. At best he loses his job, keeps his pension and gets no prison time.

Edit: I meant negligence, not misbehaviour.