German Football 20/21

Blackwidow

Maybe Huub comes in as interim again - think he does not want anymore but in this situation...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Aren’t they mired in financial trouble though? Wouldn’t sacking Wagner set them back by millions? I’m not too sure obviously but this could be the worst ever season for Schalke.
They are inches away from going bankrupt, their state had to guarantee a €30m loan. Which is probably why they kept Wagner over the summer despite a historic 17(?!) game run without a win, but at some point they can't just stand by anymore. Wagner has them playing like a relegation candidate for half a year now, worse than their squad quality dictates, as flawed as it may be.

Chief123

Dortmund even played some lovely stuff and had good chances. Augsburg's keeper Gikiewicz put on a strong performance though.

Schalke continue where we left them last week. 0-3 vs Bremen with almost 30 minutes to go.
I don’t mean this in a trolling manner, but as a Bayern fan, do you have the same level of excitement with Bundesliga knowing that you will most likely win the league every year?

I know we had a period of dominance over the last 20 years or so, but we always had a rival who would run us close and keep it interesting.

But with Bayern it’s won before the season starts. I see it similar to the Scottish premier league when Rangers weren’t in the league and Celtic walked to the title every season.

RashyForPM

They are inches away from going bankrupt, their state had to guarantee a €30m loan. Which is probably why they kept Wagner over the summer despite a historic 17(?!) game run without a win, but at some point they can't just stand by anymore. Wagner has them playing like a relegation candidate for half a year now, worse than their squad quality dictates, as flawed as it may be.
Wow, did not know they were already on the brink. Anyway, I’d sack Wagner too. Going by what I’ve read and what you’ve described, I think going down would truly finish them off. They have to sack Wagner to prevent that, as unfortunate as it may be.

RashyForPM

I don’t mean this in a trolling manner, but as a Bayern fan, do you have the same level of excitement with Bundesliga knowing that you will most likely win the league every year?

I know we had a period of dominance over the last 20 years or so, but we always had a rival who would run us close and keep it interesting.

But with Bayern it’s won before the season starts. I see it similar to the Scottish premier league when Rangers weren’t in the league and Celtic walked to the title every season.
Tbf, one Bayern fan (think it’s GhastlyHun himself actually) already replied to this, saying you celebrate your birthday every year. He’s right.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München

It's like asking Messi or CR if it's boring for them to be so much better than anyone else.
Not to mention that there is one big difference to that rather silly scottish premier league example:
We play good and entertaining football and we are breaking records. It's not like all other teams in the BL are 2nd rate teams and I think we also proved that in the CL.
Also we are having this discussion not even a year after losing 5:1 to freaking Frankfurt and firing our coach.
Besides that the reality is that all top clubs define themselves nowadays mostly by their international success. The league is for all top clubs kind of "expected".

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schalke's management refused to give an interview I'm sure Sky were quite desperate to get after Kabak's spitting incident and their commentator mentioning that Wagner will get fired every other sentence. That doesn't look too well for him.

At Mainz' post game interview their DoF Schröder said that they will analyze what happened this week and literally replied he can't guarantee that Beierlorzer will survive that meeting.

Cologne haven't won since March and lost their last match against Bielefeld, the supposed easiest game of the season.

We could be looking at two sackings with a third in the pipeline after two match days. Sounds a bit mad..

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

It's like asking Messi or CR if it's boring for them to be so much better than anyone else.
Not to mention that there is one big difference to that rather silly scottish premier league example:
We play good and entertaining football and we are breaking records. It's not like all other teams in the BL are 2nd rate teams and I think we also proved that in the CL.
Also we are having this discussion not even a year after losing 5:1 to freaking Frankfurt and firing our coach.
Besides that the reality is that all top clubs define themselves nowadays mostly by their international success. The league is for all top clubs kind of "expected".
We've already discussed this last season, obviously, and certainly at least the season before that one too. Yeah, right now Bayern is just too strong for any of the domestic rivals, and the wins in the international cups (I'm counting the supercup for this purpose) show that it's not solely low(er) quality of those rivals, Bayern really are one of the top sides in world football. The top side of the last season, going by the silverware.
At the start of last season and the one before it often looked like a true fight for the title, but the catch was that we simply were a lot worse than we are now or had been over the last few years before Kovac took over. A closer fight for the league may be nice, but when the international competition shows that really you and your competition are shit, that's a very hollow definition of progress. I still hope that especially Leipzig and Dortmund step up their game so we can have a more exciting league without Bayern dropping a level or three.

fck

Supports
Bayern
I think there are two reasons why people watch a league and that is the level of talent on display and the competitiveness at the top.
The BL is quite good in the former but clearly lacking in the latter. Ideally you want both like the PL (although the competitiveness of the PL is exaggerated).
Would it be better for the league right now if Bayern would come down a level.. probably yes. I don't think it's unhealthy for league to have a dominant team per se, but only if its a great team (Bayern is) and the dominance doesn't last too long (I think it's too long now).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Also, as a fan, you don't just look at the entire season. Each game is its own thing to live towards and through. So as long as Bayern (or any club) don't simply walk all of their games, it's always going to be exciting going from one game to another. I imagine the moment of the title win itself becomes a little less exciting with its subsequent title though.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Also, as a fan, you don't just look at the entire season. Each game is its own thing to live towards and through. So as long as Bayern (of any club) don't simply walk all of their games, it's always going to be exciting going from one game to another. I imagine the moment of the title win itself becomes a little less exciting with its subsequent title though.
This captures my feelings pretty precisely. It is always wonderful to destroy another team and yes, the euphoria of winning the league gets smaller.
But i simply enjoy the beautiful football Bayern plays and they also have - at least in my opinion - a lot of likable players

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Annnnnnd... Wagner's gone.

18 (yes, eighteen) games winless.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolutely shocking decision to even go into the new season with him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Rangnick: "I've been free [of a contract] for eight weeks and I'd be lying if I said that Schalke wouldn't interest me."

At least on paper he would be a gift from god to Schalke that most fans probably didn't dare dream about.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Deserved lead. Hoffenheim are spot on with their approach, Bayern look a little tired.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Shocking from Pavard, brilliant finish though.

Bayern look completely out of gas. Not enough left to win this, I think.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Alaba not looking like a 400k player so far this season.

arthurka

Hoffenheim will be gassed out after a while, they are playing gung-ho all over.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
So much about Kimmich being a fecking monster.

Also, Sané with an actualy ankle breaker? (Hope he's okay)

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Imagine Sebastian Hoeneß ending our winning streak, he'll be disowned by his uncle :D

Jerzol78

The last Hoffenheim's chance shows why Bayern fields today two weaker CBs where the better ones are Sule and Hernandez.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Such a tired performance. Lots of sand in the machine today, all over the pitch.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Kramaric has been immense today.

The Boateng-Alaba-pairing was awful today, Boateng especially looking completely out of his depth.

Deserved win for Hoffenheim. The streak had to end at some point.