German Football 20/21

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
We're hearing all kinds of conflicting information, but so far most sources seem to agree on 5-10 days. We'll know for sure once the Bayern docs had a look at it.

It's a bummer, cos he has an honest shot at breaking Müller's eternal record.
There was no question he was doing to break it. 5 goals in 9 games, easy for him.

Bole Top

he shouldn't even play in such games. they have away game vs England in two days yet they start their best player in meaningless training match against the worst team in existence after San Marino.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
he shouldn't even play in such games. they have away game vs England in two days yet they start their best player in meaningless training match against the worst team in existence after San Marino.
No Lewandowski - > less viewer - > less money

Raredaredevil

I feel sorry for Bayern fans and probably for myself seeing as I have them on my accumulator in their game against Leipzig, sorry Bayern fans, knowing my luck, you are gonna lose to Leipzig. You would have thought that Poland can beat Andorra easily even without their best player, maybe he wants to rack up his goals record.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
There was no question he was doing to break it. 5 goals in 9 games, easy for him.
You say that, but then a striker falls into a slump and has like 5 games without a goal. There's a reason why the record was never in any danger of being broken until now. I'm still waiting for Lewa's drought, but fingers crossed he'll make it. :)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

He probably doesn't make up injury updates?! That would be shoking.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Lewandowski out for at least 4 weeks. I guess PSG are favorites now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How many games will he have left for the five goals after his recovery?

Could be the biggest chance for Leipzig now in years to steal a league title from Bayern. Here's hoping.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
This doesn't change as much about PSG as people think. Bayern has other options, it's not a one-man show. It was always going to be a close match, it'll be a bit closer now. No big deal.

But Lewa's chances to break the record are a bit slimmer now. He's got three games left in the BL.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This doesn't change as much about PSG as people think. Bayern has other options, it's not a one-man show. It was always going to be a close match, it'll be a bit closer now. No big deal.

But Lewa's chances to break the record are a bit slimmer now. He's got three games left in the BL.
Last season Thiago was the best player in the final and Lewandowski the best player in the tournament. That's two huge losses right there. PSG isn't exactly in great form either this season so it might even out but in general, it's close.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ridiculous take. It was Sousa's second game in charge, he had to see how his team performs, most teams play their best players in qualifying games and Lewandowski had played in every Poland game prior to that when healthy. He wouldn't have liked to be benched either. It was a freak injury, that's all, no need to blame him or the coach for playing him in that game.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He'd have obliterated Muller's record if healthy, probably getting close to 50. Now he'll be lucky to get the precious 41. Shame. He also has absolutely zero shot at Ballon d'Or now too as that injury will for sure be pointed out (which means probably Messi or Ronaldo again, depending on how Portugal does in Euro).

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
This time he just copied from the Bayern homepage who messaged it first!
Yes, I have realized that by now.
Just the other day I was telling another poster how Lewandowski is never injured, and now this. This will be the longest he's missed since signing for us. And his breaking the 40 goal record is in serious jeopardy now, too, even if that's the least of my concerns.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Yes, I have realized that by now.
Just the other day I was telling another poster how Lewandowski is never injured, and now this. This will be the longest he's missed since signing for us. And his breaking the 40 goal record is in serious jeopardy now, too, even if that's the least of my concerns.
Never mind the sodding record, this is a huge blow to our CL hopes. Capital H Huge.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
It's not the end of the world. It's a huge blow, but still far from devastating. Our wingers and Müller alone are very capable of scoring.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Will Bayern play Muller at CF with Musiala at CAM, or play Choupo Mouting as striker and keep Muller at CAM?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It's not the end of the world. It's a huge blow, but still far from devastating. Our wingers and Müller alone are very capable of scoring.
I doubt they are anywhere as effective without Lewandowski drawing defenders' attention on him. For that reason i think our best option is in fact Choupo as a positional replacement.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
"It doesn't feel right, when for example you read: "Schalke loses again" or "Bremen can't get another one", it sometimes seems to me that no one cares that we are the opposition and played well".

https://www.transfermarkt.de/arnold...nnschaft-zu-empfehlen-ldquo-/view/news/382754

Max Arnold with the hot takes :lol:

I wouldn't have minded if he made the squad, but I don't really understand how, objectively, you can complain about not being nominated ("if I had taken the trip [with the NT], no one would have been hurt, I can't understand it"), when it was players such as Kimmich, Goretzka, Gündogan and Neuhaus, that took your slot.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
"It doesn't feel right, when for example you read: "Schalke loses again" or "Bremen can't get another one", it sometimes seems to me that no one cares that we are the opposition and played well".

I wouldn't have minded if he made the squad, but I don't really understand how, objectively, you can complain about not being nominated, when it was players such as Kimmich, Goretzka, Gündogan and Neuhaus, that took your slot.
Kroos as as well. As poor as we are in defense, you can't argue with the quality in central midfield and wings.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

https://www.transfermarkt.de/arnold...nnschaft-zu-empfehlen-ldquo-/view/news/382754

I wouldn't have minded if he made the squad, but I don't really understand how, objectively, you can complain about not being nominated ("if I had taken the trip [with the NT], no one would have been hurt, I can't understand it"), when it was players such as Kimmich, Goretzka, Gündogan and Neuhaus, that took your slot.
Can't fault him for feeling he'd deserve to be there more than Neuhaus, he does without a doubt.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Yeah, the midfield is stacked for years to come. Kimmich, Gündogan, Goretzka, Wirtz, Musiala, Kroos, Neuhaus, Brandt, Dahoud and potentially Müller and Havertz, too. While England and France seem to have the best generations to come, stacked with talent, I feel no other nation has such a great midfield. If Löw somehow makes Kimmich, Gündogan and Kroos work it would just ooze quality.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Can't fault him for feeling he'd deserve to be there more than Neuhaus, he does without a doubt.
Neuhaus vs Arnold seems debatable. But that isn't enough to complain to the press in my opinion.

Blackwidow

Will Bayern play Muller at CF with Musiala at CAM, or play Choupo Mouting as striker and keep Muller at CAM?
EMCM was better as left winger than as striker. We hopefully will see Gnabry as striker and Müller as CAM - what they probably can play very flexible. And with both wingers or maybe EMCM as left winger to keep one of the wingers fresh for PSG or as substitute.
The way ECMC acts as striker does not benefit the others as we have already seen before - that is why a jobsharing of Gnabry and Müller seems to be the best option for me.

Yeah, the midfield is stacked for years to come. Kimmich, Gündogan, Goretzka, Wirtz, Musiala, Kroos, Neuhaus, Brandt, Dahoud and potentially Müller and Havertz, too. While England and France seem to have the best generations to come, stacked with talent, I feel no other nation has such a great midfield. If Löw somehow makes Kimmich, Gündogan and Kroos work it would just ooze quality.
For me Kroos is the odd one out and I think that Kimmich, Gündogan + Goretzka would be the better fit. But - knowing Löw he will not bench Kroos. This is not about the class of Kroos but that I think that the others fit together much better.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
EMCM was better as left winger than as striker. We hopefully will see Gnabry as striker and Müller as CAM - what they probably can play very flexible. And with both wingers or maybe EMCM as left winger to keep one of the wingers fresh for PSG or as substitute.
The way ECMC acts as striker does not benefit the others as we have already seen before - that is why a jobsharing of Gnabry and Müller seems to be the best option for me.

For me Kroos is the odd one out and I think that Kimmich, Gündogan + Goretzka would be the better fit. But - knowing Löw he will not bench Kroos. This is not about the class of Kroos but that I think that the others fit together much better.
Kimmich, Gündogan and Goretzka is the save variant I believe. Fitting in Kroos is more demanding from a tactical perspective but also has higher potential, IMO. Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta didn't need a work horse besides them either and Kimmich, Gündogan and Kroos is probably closer to them than any midfield any nation fielded since Xavi retired. In a way, playing Goretzka would be a confession that you can't get a midfield to work that is better on paper.

I mean, it's Löw in the end but imagine Sané and Gnabry on the wings, Havertz as a false 9, Kroos and Gündogan on the 8 and Kimmich as a 6 :drool:

Another idea would be to start Goretzka in midfield and Kimmich as an RB but allow him to drift into the center Cancelo/Lahm/Alaba/Zinchenko under Guardiola style. Goretzka could then focus on his runs into the box.

Blackwidow

Kimmich, Gündogan and Goretzka is the save variant I believe. Fitting in Kroos is more demanding from a tactical perspective but also has higher potential, IMO. Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta didn't need a work horse besides them either and Kimmich, Gündogan and Kroos is probably closer to them than any midfield any nation fielded since Xavi retired. In a way, playing Goretzka would be a confession that you can't get a midfield to work that is better on paper.

I mean, it's Löw in the end but imagine Sané and Gnabry on the wings, Havertz as a false 9, Kroos and Gündogan on the 8 and Kimmich as a 6 :drool:

Another idea would be to start Goretzka in midfield and Kimmich as an RB but allow him to drift into the center Cancelo/Lahm/Alaba/Zinchenko under Guardiola style. Goretzka could then focus on his runs into the box.
Oh, Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta - Kimmich for sure is no Busquets, Kroos no Xavi and Gündogan no Iniesta... - and who is Messi? Havertz?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I feel that ship has sadly sailed after this horrible season, any hope we had of him fulfilling his talent after a great last couple of seasons has evaporated given his performances this season.

Dahoud though has done really well these past few months so still hope that he can reach a high level. Neuhaus has an impressive start to the season but has declined since, I think he needs a move to a big club to improve like Goretzka did.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
There's no doubt that the midfield of Kimmich, Gündogan and Goretzka is better than any version with Kroos in it.
Kroos shouldn't be starting anymore, his strength and his contributions are very limited.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I feel that ship has sadly sailed after this horrible season, any hope we had of him fulfilling his talent after a great last couple of seasons has evaporated given his performances this season.

Dahoud though has done really well these past few months so still hope that he can reach a high level. Neuhaus has an impressive start to the season but has declined since, I think he needs a move to a big club to improve like Goretzka did.
He's 25 or something like that, enough time to turn it around. His move to Dortmund has three losers though and sadly it was forseeable.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I doubt they are anywhere as effective without Lewandowski drawing defenders' attention on him. For that reason i think our best option is in fact Choupo as a positional replacement.
I mean, of course you'll have to replace Lewa with another player. I wasn't suggesting we play with 10 people or... play with three wingers. :D

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Agree, Arnold is one the most underrated midfielders in Germany atm. His blend of technical capability, hard working ethic, and being a real piece of work when necessary, is rather unique.