German Football 20/21

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
What are you basing this on? I'd wager that Andre Silva is pretty desperate to translate his current terrific form into a fat contract at a big(ger) club. Kostic or Hinteregger, being 28 years old, will have to force things this summer as well, if they ever want to make the next step.
I did not rule out that some players could maybe want to leave - but all of them have ongoing contracts and so far none of them are said to have release clauses.
This dpa report
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/f....urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-210415-99-222352
states pretty matter-of-factly that Silva has a release clause of just over 30m € in summer so if that's true one would expect him to be gone.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Hertha quarantined for 2 weeks :nervous:

€30m usually is a lot of money for a club like Frankfurt, but a 30 goal striker probably could have fetched €50m easily from some PL club. Must be a bittersweet feeling to finally make it into the CL, but lose anyone but their mascot, because of it.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Hertha quarantined for 2 weeks :nervous:
I wasn't too worried about them being relegated but I am now....no regular training for 2 weeks and then they have to play 6 games while their opponents only play 3 matches. Thankfully the May 1st weekend had been reserved for DFB-Pokal semi finals so they'll probably be able to play a game there but this is a huge problem. Not to mention that they'll probably be down to 17th place by the time they start playing again.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I wasn't too worried about them being relegated but I am now....no regular training for 2 weeks and then they have to play 6 games while their opponents only play 3 matches. Thankfully the May 1st weekend had been reserved for DFB-Pokal semi finals so they'll probably be able to play a game there but this is a huge problem. Not to mention that they'll probably be down to 17th place by the time they start playing again.
Cologne and Bielefeld look so uninspiring that I would still bet on Hertha, worst case, making 16th place. But it's certainly a considerable handicap. Dresden got completely shafted in a similar situation last year, though they were in a much worse spot to begin with.

As far as I know DFL were originally considering to force teams to undertake a mandatory training camp, to ensure nothing goes wrong during the upcoming three-game-week. I was surprised they didn't, with so much on the line for so many clubs.

And to be honest I'm also a bit surprised that these players take pain killers like smarties and would probably inject themselves with a crate of Miller Lite, if someone told them that it would help them run faster, but apparently the majority doesn't seem to have gotten their hand on a vaccine shot and no club doctor seems to have found a "contaminated" badge of shots.

Last edited:

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No commentary on the exits of both Dortmund and Bayern?

And let's talk amateur football shall we? My local team thanks to the pandemic will be promoted by the looks of things - Quotient Reglung - Bayernliga here we come!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

And let's talk amateur football shall we? My local team thanks to the pandemic will be promoted by the looks of things - Quotient Reglung - Bayernliga here we come!
What's there to commentate? Bayern had lots of injuries, Dortmund had a stronger opponent and bad luck with refereeing.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

The Quotientenregelung means they'll basically make a points-per-game table, after a certain threshold in terms of number of games played is reached?
What is your local team if I may ask?

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
The Quotientenregelung means they'll basically make a points-per-game table, after a certain threshold in terms of number of games played is reached?
Yeah, exactly. This article gives an overview about the different German regions. Bayern is the only region where teams will get relegated. The vast majority of regions will just cancel the season and have no promotion either.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah, exactly. This article gives an overview about the different German regions. Bayern is the only region where teams will get relegated. The vast majority of regions will just cancel the season and have no promotion either.
Holy shit, Viktoria will be promoted to 3rd division? That's bizarre.
The league hasn't been playing since last fall. And Viktoria.. a couple of years ago they had grand-standing plans with a Chinese investor, who allegedly pledged something like 50-100 million € over 5 years or so, but who turned out to be unreliable.. I thought they'd take a downturn when this fell apart. Didn't they have to go into bankruptcy?

Dans

What is your local team if I may ask?
VfB Hallbergmoos.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Holy shit, Viktoria will be promoted to 3rd division? That's bizarre.
The league hasn't been playing since last fall. And Viktoria.. a couple of years ago they had grand-standing plans with a Chinese investor, who allegedly pledged something like 50-100 million € over 5 years or so, but who turned out to be unreliable.. I thought they'd take a downturn when this fell apart. Didn't they have to go into bankruptcy?
Getting promoted after playing only 11 matches isn't ideal but to be fair they won all 11 of them so they were definitely on their way.
Yes that Chinese investor almost destroyed the club. They went through insolvency and then found another investor, the Karajica brothers. These guys seem to know what they're doing, they're also involved with basketball team Hamburg Towers and with Austria Klagenfurt.
I'm excited about getting a Berlin team into the third league, there should be way more in professional football. Unfortunately their stadium doesn't meet the requirements for the 3. Liga and they're struggling to find a replacement. Union has refused to share their stadium, the Olympiastadion is too expensive, the Jahnsportpark is unavailable, etc. They might end up having to play in another city which would be a shame.

Dans

Getting promoted after playing only 11 matches isn't ideal but to be fair they won all 11 of them so they were definitely on their way.
Yes that Chinese investor almost destroyed the club. They went through insolvency and then found another investor, the Karajica brothers. These guys seem to know what they're doing, they're also involved with basketball team Hamburg Towers and with Austria Klagenfurt.
I'm excited about getting a Berlin team into the third league, there should be way more in professional football. Unfortunately their stadium doesn't meet the requirements for the 3. Liga and they're struggling to find a replacement. Union has refused to share their stadium, the Olympiastadion is too expensive, the Jahnsportpark is unavailable, etc. They might end up having to play in another city which would be a shame.
Unfortunately, the whole weird situation with Türkgücü is why this has happened though isn't it? Viktoria end up being champions because Türkgücu couldn't wait and went up when in my opinion they shouldn't have. So in effect there are two champions for the same season.

Dans

Ahhh we are talking about different Viktorias I think. I was thinking of Aschaffenburg.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah the stadium is small, just has one stand that's also weirdly positioned, and the rest is just a couple of rows around the pitch. I've been there a couple of times, the small business I work for had a kind of sponsoring deal with them for a short while - when Robert Hoyzer was there :nervous:
The were sounding out building a stadium with the help of the Chinese, weren't they? And so surely is Windhorst. Make they can make a collaboration to build one with Hertha ..Bayern-1860 style..
But where? Tegel Airport? I recently learned that there are U-Bahn tunnels in place to connect Tegel to the new U5, and have been all along :lol:
And NOW they're planning to finish them, after decades of overcrowded TXL and X9 busses :lol:

Mommsenstadion also not drittligatauglich? Or the Karl-Liebknechtstadion? Also I think the Poststadion was supposed to become suitable?

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ahhh we are talking about different Viktorias I think. I was thinking of Aschaffenburg.
Yeah, Berlin, sorry.

VfB Hallbergmoos.
Just googled this. Not a Bayern fan? You're right there aren't you. You could walk to the stadium. In any case, congrats for the promotion!

Last edited:

Dans

Yeah, Berlin, sorry.

Just googled this. Not a Bayern fan? You're right there aren't you. You could walk to the stadium. In any case, congrats for the promotion!
No, not a Bayern fan at all! I'm a United fan. I am an island monkey.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
No, not a Bayern fan at all! I'm a United fan. I am an island monkey.
Right. Sorry, I was replying on my mobile earlier and there I couldn't see that you're a veritable veteran of the forum, so it figures you'd be a United fan of course.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Yeah the stadium is small, just has one stand that's also weirdly positioned, and the rest is just a couple of rows around the pitch. I've been there a couple of times, the small business I work for had a kind of sponsoring deal with them for a short while - when Robert Hoyzer was there :nervous:
The were sounding out building a stadium with the help of the Chinese, weren't they? And so surely is Windhorst. Make they can make a collaboration to build one with Hertha ..Bayern-1860 style..
But where? Tegel Airport? I recently learned that there are U-Bahn tunnels in place to connect Tegel to the new U5, and have been all along :lol:
And NOW they're planning to finish them, after decades of overcrowded TXL and X9 busses :lol:

Mommsenstadion also not drittligatauglich? Or the Karl-Liebknechtstadion?
Hertha has been trying to find a decent spot for years but are dealing with a hostile senate that is not interested in helping out so I doubt Viktoria will have more luck. Mommsenstadion is apparently extremely outdated so it would cost a substantial amount to get it up to 2021 standards. Karl-Liebknechtstadion already has Babelsberg, Turbine Potsdam and American football team Potsdam Royals playing so that's not an option either.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Hertha has been trying to find a decent spot for years but are dealing with a hostile senate that is not interested in helping out so I doubt Viktoria will have more luck. Mommsenstadion is apparently extremely outdated so it would cost a substantial amount to get it up to 2021 standards. Karl-Liebknechtstadion already has Babelsberg, Turbine Potsdam and American football team Potsdam Royals playing so that's not an option either.
I've never actually been in the Mommsenstadion. Poststadion is of course big enough, but I hope bringing it up to standard wouldn't require cutting down the gorgeous forest that has taken over the western curve. Do you have any idea if there were ever concrete scenarios for where to build a new stadium?

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I've never actually been in the Mommsenstadion. Poststadion is of course big enough, but I hope bringing it up to standard wouldn't require cutting down the gorgeous forest that has taken over the western curve. Do you have any idea if there were ever concrete scenarios for where to build a new stadium?
Poststadion already has BAK, Lichtenberg and a few others playing there so that won't work.
Viktoria recently bought some land in Mariendorf but that's mainly for the clubhouse and some training pitches. There's a lot of criticism that they never tackled the stadium issue even though the rules were pretty clear.
They could also potentially build a temporary stadium...it's been done before (Düsseldorf, Wiesbaden). The main problem will always remain the lack of space in this city. Hertha did a lot of research (albeit for a larger stadium) and they didn't find many suitable spots. Their ideal solution was building a new stadium right next to the Olympiastadion and the next best choice was already in Ludwigsfelde which is outside of Berlin and was therefore rejected by the fans. Someone in the senate did bring up a spot in Tegel but if I recall correctly others rightfully pointed out that it already had been promised to someone else.

Last edited:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
DFB should just end their dumb regulations regarding stadium requirements. Lower leagues are riddled with teams that don`t want to get promoted because they can`t afford XY. Or at least grant bigger exceptions for 2-3 years for teams that get promoted, it makes no sense for clubs to invest in infrastructure if they get relegated after 1-2 years anyway.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Poststadion already has BAK, Lichtenberg and a few others playing there so it's not an option either.
Viktoria recently bought some land in Mariendorf but that's mainly for the clubhouse and some training pitches. There's a lot of criticism that they never tackled the stadium issue even though the rules were pretty clear.
They could also potentially build a temporary stadium...it's been done before (Düsseldorf, Wiesbaden). The main problem will always remain the lack of space in this city. Hertha did a lot of research (albeit for a larger stadium) and they didn't find many suitable spots. Their ideal solution was building a new stadium right next to the Olympiastadion and the next best choice was already in Ludwigsfelde which is outside of Berlin and was therefore rejected by the fans. Someone in the senate did bring up a spot in Tegel but if I recall correctly others rightfully pointed out that it already had been promised to someone else.
While you're surely right, it does sound ironic talking about Berlin, when no other big city is (or used to be) so littered with vast, or even abandoned, spaces.
And there's two defunct airport areas in the city now (touching Tempelhof is a no-go, of course, and thankfully so).
I don't know who it is that Tegel was promised to, but I remember seeing a billboard erected there advertising this kind of Brave New World-ish campus of, I don't know, co-working office spaces, startup park, pre-furnished city apartments and recreational area to be developed. That was way years ago though, before the anewed delays in Schönefeld and the prolongation of Tegel's activity. No idea whether the project still lives.
It's just hard to believe that, if anything, it couldn't be there, or in the vicinity, that a space could be found. There's this whole area, between Rehberge and towards the airport, where there's the Zentraler Festplatz, then there's some giant ADAC trainig space, or parking lot?, vast areas of empty asphalt. Next to the A111 autobahn, too.
The Olympic stadium, I assume the whole Olympic area would be under monument protection, no? Could be difficult to just build a stadium right next to it, and then behind it is this woody hill isn't there?

But I'm not a city planner. And there really is a lot of space in Brandenburg. Teltow, Grossbeeren, Ludwigsfelde.. sounds alright for a Hertha-Viktoria-Stadion to me.
Are Viktoria planning to move the club out of Lichterfelde then, to Mariendorf?

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Eintract CEO Holzer now basically accusing Rangnick or his camp of leaking falsehoods about the meeting, and about the content of the talks about a potential collaboration, to the press.

Among those alleged falsehoods, the confident mentioning of the André Silva 30m release clause that was contained in the dpa report I linked to yesterday. Holzer says it's "not factual".
https://www.kicker.de/eintracht-boss-holzer-nach-rangnick-treffen-irritiert-802459/artikel

It's weird, Rangnick keeps meeting these club bosses and then there's always stories about how he's supposed to take over, but in reality he never is, and more often than not there's irritation on the part of the clubs he claims to have negotiated with.
Milan, Man United, Arsenal, Schalke, the DFB, now Frankfurt.

He seems to be some twisted, ineffectual self-promoter.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
It's just hard to believe that, if anything, it couldn't be there, or in the vicinity, that a space could be found. There's this whole area, between Rehberge and towards the airport, where there's the Zentraler Festplatz, then there's some giant ADAC trainig space, or parking lot?, vast areas of empty asphalt. Next to the A111 autobahn, too.
Zentraler Festplatz was the area that was briefly discussed. It turned out that a) there's a long-standing contract until 2028 for some local fairs and b) the disctrict's government would rather build new appartments there since Berlin is in dire need of housing spaces.

The Olympic stadium, I assume the whole Olympic area would be under monument protection, no? Could be difficult to just build a stadium right next to it, and then behind it is this woody hill isn't there?
Monument protection is indeed a factor but Hertha seemed to have come up with a promising solution. The whole plan then fell apart because of 6 houses that would have had to be destroyed. The owners refused and then Corona struck so the whole thing was put on hold.

Part of the problem though is that without Hertha the Olympiastadion would be pretty much useless and the city doesn't know what to do with it. So allowing Hertha to go somewhere else would not be in their best interest.

But I'm not a city planner. And there really is a lot of space in Brandenburg. Teltow, Grossbeeren, Ludwigsfelde.. sounds alright for a Hertha-Viktoria-Stadion to me.
Ludwigsfelde would have been nice, they would have welcomed Hertha with open arms and it's really not that far from Berlin. But Hertha's fans started rebelling against the idea of not playing in Berlin and even forced the board to scrub the idea.

Overall Hertha's handling of the whole new stadium idea has been a disaster. The new people in charge like Carsten Schmidt seem more competent though so maybe they'll find a way.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Perfect example why Bayern will win easily the league for the 9th time in a row.

The other clubs are miles away of a winner mentality.
Or just don't have the squad depth to keep it up an entire season like Bayern can? I mean, if you compare Bayern and Leipzig's squads, it's ridiculous that there is/was a contest at all.

Blackwidow

Or just don't have the squad depth to keep it up an entire season like Bayern can? I mean, if you compare Bayern and Leipzig's squads, it's ridiculous that there is/was a contest at all.
Actually Leipzig has a better squad depth than Bayern. That is the biggest problem this season. The first 14 are top, a lot in the top of their category and especially as they as team - but as the quality of the rest is not that high (and as there was no real preparation or deeper training work possible with the schedule) it is a really difficult season.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Actually Leipzig has a better squad depth than Bayern. That is the biggest problem this season. The first 14 are top, a lot in the top of their category and especially as they as team - but as the quality of the rest is not that high (and as there was no real preparation or deeper training work possible with the schedule) it is a really difficult season.
I get that the drop-off is much worse at Bayern, but is that back-up really worse than Leipzig's back-up to their first team?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
My point was that Leipzig had a big chance (with a win against a poor Hoffenheim) to put a lot of pressure on Bayern Munich for a tough game in Wolfsburg.

But i have not seen a 100% winning mentality from Leipzig against Hoffenheim and that is typical for the Bundesliga in the last years.

No one can blame Bayern Munich for a boring Bundesliga.....the other teams don't have this 100% winning mentality.

Bayern have won everything in the last months, have had no pre-season and a lot of injury-problems....AND WHAT.....they will win still easily the league in the next couple of weeks.

Of course Bayern have the best squad but this season was a real chance for a couple of teams to have a chance to win the league.

Blackwidow

I get that the drop-off is much worse at Bayern, but is that back-up really worse than Leipzig's back-up to their first team?
Atleast their backups are available and seem to function very well. The bench today looks like this:
Nübel - Martínez, Sarr, Nianzou, Dantas, Coman, Scott, Stanišić, Zaiser

Yes, 18-year-old Bambi is starting instead of Coman who had problems recently, but Bambi could not play 90 minutes last week either because of muscle cramps - so I am not sure if he can play 90 minutes today (but he is 18!)

Martinez is a reliable help for defense and midfield but the rest? Who would want to field Nübel instead of Neuer? Nianzou just came back from long injuries and only played minutes since then. You might count on him for next seasons - but not now. Dantas is bound to a body that is fine for the U17s but not for a bundesliga professional. Scott, Stanisic and Zaiser are squad players in our 3rd league team.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn’t check in detail but it is very possible that Leipzig‘s #16 to 23 are better than Bayern‘s. The top 15 obviously go to Bayern.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
And some people are actually complaining that we won't extend Boateng.

DelPotro

Perfect round of result for Dortmund. But knowing them they would probably lose tomorrow.