German Football 20/21

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
He's got a release clause (82 mil, if memory serves me correct) in his contract that activates in 2022. So it will come down to him getting to pick his next employer, so I really don't see it happening. City and Real could offer obscene wages and given his father's past I just can't see past the PL.
Haaland will be on the market next summer unless he signs a new deal. I guarantee it. I read the clause was in the high 60s though. Not sure which number is accurate. Anyway Dortmund is not going to leave an additional 50M € on the table for one more year of Haaland.

Mbappé, Haaland, Camavinga & Co. will be all on the market next year. It will be Real Madrid hunting season which I suspect by the way is why Real Madrid is so aggressively getting rid of Bale, James & Co.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Would still prefer if they start the German Brandt, it's kind off sad to see a 17 year old English championship player starting over a 24 year old considered to be one of the best talented Germans.

Yea, everyone talking about how Germany shouldn't worry about youngsters coming through, there is plenty to worry about.
Brandt isn't benched because he isn't talented enough. It's (probably) because he didn't do enough in preseason friendlies. Sometimes Brandt really seems like a lethargic fecker who is happy to just be the sloppy genius and I'm actually very happy that Favre didn't give him a pass on that in the name of seniority. If the lad now has to work extra hard to win back his spot, then that's good for everyone including DIE MANNSCHAFT.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
It's also the DFB Cup where Bellingham started. In pre-season as well, when they were playing 2 games a day with 2 different XI's, I noticed the teams with Brandt lost while Bellingham's XI usually won.

I think Bellingham is firmly the no.1 choice right now in CM for Favre. He might not have the technical quality of Brandt but certainly has more energy. Maybe that is what Favre wants in center midfield because it won't be too different from the Neusdater-Nordveit partnership at Gladbach, there he relied on the creativity of Arango, Reus and Hermann to create in attack while the central midfielders were more there as shields for their defence than being responsible to contribute in attack.
he is careless on the ball and you can't do that for a top club in the center of the pitch. His defensive work is also a bit dodgy/wild/inconsistent imo despite playing in front of a back three. He'll has to improve in these areas to become a starter for Dortmund. If I had to make a wild guess, its that he'll join RB next summer, if Dortmund continue to use their current system.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Leverkusen are starting with exactly the same team as last season, minus Havertz and Volland, their two best or at least most consistent attackers. I know that Schick is on the bench and it's still a team that can paly decent football, but even so: how are they expecting to challenge for top 4 like this?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
State of this goal
6-0 down and not a single player in their own half.
People bash the BuLi for this, but this is really no worse than if Fulham or WBA (who I think are appropriate comparisons for Schalke in its current state) would play their entire team in defence against City (as likely they will) and 'nick' a 2-0 loss. That doesn't look as embarrassing or lopsided, but the gulf in quality is the same.
Below is Spurs down by 4 goals to Bayern at home, defending at the halfway line A top EPL side, previous season finalist. If a Buli team did this, we will hear complaints like the original poster. How is this Gnabry goal any different from the one scored by Sane vs a top 4 EPL side.
But but this type of defending will never happen in the EPL

Classical Mechanic

Below is Spurs down by 4 goals to Bayern at home, defending at the halfway line A top EPL side, previous season finalist. If a Buli team did this, we will hear complaints like the original poster. How is this Gnabry goal any different from the one scored by Sane vs a top 4 EPL side.
But but this type of defending will never happen in the EPL
Spurs sacked their manager shortly after this.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You can also look at the red card for Christensen right now. The most ridiculous thing about this whole complaint is that teams don't just randomly push up the pitch, they do it with the purpose of congesting space in midfield and keep the stronger team away from their goal. It may not always be the correct choice and you can get caught out badly when your players mess up, but it's a perfectly viable tactical concept and going on and on about it in disbelief just reveals ones ignorance about the modern game. It reminds me of all the people who used to make fun of Neuer's sweeping style, because it took them about a decade to realize the point of it.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Spurs sacked their manager shortly after this.
So Poch a CL finalist can do it but not Wagner a coach who relegated Huddersfield, lost almost all games in 2020 and who has not been sacked just because they cannot afford his payoff cant do the same without it becoming a talking point about the league

You can also look at the red card for Christensen right now. The most ridiculous thing about this whole complaint is that teams don't just randomly push up the pitch, they do it with the purpose of congesting space in midfield and keep the stronger team away from their goal. It may not always be the correct choice and you can get caught out badly when your players mess up, but it's a perfectly viable tactical concept and going on and on about it in disbelief just reveals ones ignorance about the modern game. It reminds me of all the people who used to make fun of Neuer's sweeping style, because it took them about a decade to realize the point of it.
Liverpool and Citys defenders 2 of the best clubs in the EPL stay on the half way line for most of the game but the moment anyone watch a Bundesliga highlight they suddenly become an expert on the leagues tactic. The same way the EPL analysts were going on about Bayern's high line in the CL yet crushed Spurs 10-3, Chelsea 7-1 and Barcelona 8-2

Lyon vs Man City 3-1. the first 2 Lyon goals were with Citys defenders on the halfway line the same thing Schalke did

Classical Mechanic

How is a game at 0-0 analogous to a game at 6-0? Getting humiliated is bad for morale and goal difference can cost a team. That’s why you would shut up shop. It’s about the application of the tactic in a specific situation rather than the tactic as a strategy.

Everyone knows the benefits of a high line believe it or not.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
https://www.kicker.de/beierlorzers-rueckhalt-in-der-mainzer-mannschaft-schwindet-785408/artikel

The rest of the Mainz team refused to do their training session on Wednesday because their team mate Adam Szalai wasn't allowed to train with them, because Mainz wants to get rid. The club even officially confirms it was because of "emotional discussions within the team about Adam Szalai, who wasn't supposed to train with the team on Wednesday afternoon".

First time I've seen something like that happen. Kicker even say that the reason why the club wants to get rid is a personal dispute between Beierlorzer (coach) and Szalai (player) and that the relationship between the coach and his team has been damaged since last season.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
https://www.kicker.de/beierlorzers-rueckhalt-in-der-mainzer-mannschaft-schwindet-785408/artikel

The rest of the Mainz team refused to do their training session on Wednesday because their team mate Adam Szalai wasn't allowed to train with them, because Mainz wants to get rid. The club even officially confirms it was because of "emotional discussions within the team about Adam Szalai, who wasn't supposed to train with the team on Wednesday afternoon".

First time I've seen something like that happen. Kicker even say that the reason why the club wants to get rid is a personal dispute between Beierlorzer (coach) and Szalai (player) and that the relationship between the coach and his team has been damaged since last season.
If this is true, Beierlorzer's time is up. There is no way he can recover from an actualy training strike aimed at his man management.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think today showed what Dortmund lost with Hakimi's departure. Augsburg put 10 men in the center and basically said that even all that individual quality and trickery can't just walk through legs on the ground. Guerreiro is terrific at many things, but he's not rapid and Meunier is neither fast nor that gifted on the ball. With Sancho also fancying himself a bit of #10 there was no one to attack the depth on the wings. If he was fit Hazard might actually find a new home at RWB.
On a better day either Sancho or Bellingham score the 1-0 or Augsburg don't score with their first two shots, but I think the issues on the wings might be something that will stay. Sancho might have to revert to more of a RW again.

mu4c_20le

But I thought Dortmund were building something by keeping their best players.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Caliguri loves to score against Dortmund. His 6th goal against them.
Dortmund won't win anything this year, if they play too many youth players against physical teams like Augsburg.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
But I thought Dortmund were building something by keeping their best players.
That is such a horrible take, judging things after 2nd game of the season. It is like shitting on every United fan who predicted United will get top 4 after watching the first 2 games of this season.

mu4c_20le

That is such a horrible take, judging things after 2nd game of the season. It is like shitting on every United fan who predicted United will get top 4 after watching the first 2 games of this season.
It was a half reply to the post above that suggested the league was over. The thing is though, if Dortmund want to be a big successful club then they will be harshly judged on every performance, that's just how it is. I was under the impression that they put out all the stops to keep their best players because this year was going to be different, so im looking forward to that.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
To be fair, many of their own fans do just that.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It was a half reply to the post above that suggested the league was over. The thing is though, if Dortmund want to be a big successful club then they will be harshly judged on every performance, that's just how it is. I was under the impression that they put out all the stops to keep their best players because this year was going to be different, so im looking forward to that.
Nothing would be better for them by selling their best player(s) though. In any case, it's true of course that Dortmund shouldn't lose to Augsburg, and if this isn't a one-off, questions will be asked of Favre. Because yes, Dortmund did keep Sancho (so far) and should do well this year.

Chief123

Congratulations to Bayern for winning their 423rd straight Bundesliga. They’ve deserved it.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Dortmund even played some lovely stuff and had good chances. Augsburg's keeper Gikiewicz put on a strong performance though.

Schalke continue where we left them last week. 0-3 vs Bremen with almost 30 minutes to go.

RashyForPM

Dortmund even played some lovely stuff and had good chances. Augsburg's keeper Gikiewicz put on a strong performance though.

Schalke continue where we left them last week. 0-3 vs Bremen with almost 30 minutes to go.
As a Bundesliga fan, do you think they could go down this season? Or even that they are likely to (Schalke I mean)?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
As a Bundesliga fan, do you think they could go down this season? Or even that they are likely to (Schalke I mean)?
The way they have played since the restart and continue to play in the new season so far makes it a realistic prospect. Probably they'll still sack Wagner at some point and get enough of a bounce to stay up.

RashyForPM

The way they have played since the restart and continue to play in the new season so far makes it a realistic prospect. Probably they'll still sack Wagner at some point and get enough of a bounce to stay up.
Aren’t they mired in financial trouble though? Wouldn’t sacking Wagner set them back by millions? I’m not too sure obviously but this could be the worst ever season for Schalke.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Aren’t they mired in financial trouble though? Wouldn’t sacking Wagner set them back by millions? I’m not too sure obviously but this could be the worst ever season for Schalke.
Read about that too, and it seems likelier every day Wagner is still at Schalke.