German Football 20/21

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Kiel finding out the hard way that it's not always that easy against the Bundesliga teams. :cool:

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
Poor Kiel :(
They started pretty decent, it reminded me of the Bayern game. Hopefully this drubbing doesn't interfere with their pursuit of Bundesliga promotion.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Disappointing game from Kiel, even for a second division side. Though I'm not sure I would blame them for it, with promotion on their mind and their two week quarantine messing with their schedule.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That looked like serious knee damage for Morey. Very, very bitter.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It actually made me sick to my stomach hearing Morey's screams. That looked really serious, probably won't be playing any more football this year. He already tore his meniscus a few years back, does anyone know if that was the same knee? I'm honestly really worried if he will be able to keep playing at all. Such a downer in this great game for a Dortmund supporter. :(

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
It actually made me sick to my stomach hearing Morey's screams. That looked really serious, probably won't be playing any more football this year. He already tore his meniscus a few years back, does anyone know if that was the same knee? I'm honestly really worried if he will be able to keep playing at all. Such a downer in this great game for a Dortmund supporter. :(
Horrible listening to his screams!!! That must have hurt so much. The knee is not meant to go that way. Poor lad...

If you get access from abroad, there is videos of it in a norwegian newspaper https://www.dagbladet.no/studio/sportsstudio/307?post=63030

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
This is the stuff nightmares are made of. You don't want to watch this.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

No one can take a joke these days..just kidding

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

No one can take a joke these days..just kiddingg
Impressive command of historical knowledge, really, to even be able to name such a specific Nazi judge to use as an insult. He should be applauded, not criticized.
Try scoring points in the schoolyard by saying "You're a regular Roland Freisler, are you"

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04

No one can take a joke these days..just kidding
at first you got me man, great one :lol: :lol: :lol:

was already fuming and wrote like an essay about how wrong all of this is, being a lawyer myself and blablabla until I looked at it again and saw it

Impressive command of historical knowledge, really, to even be able to name such a specific Nazi judge to use as an insult. He should be applauded, not criticized.
Try scoring points in the schoolyard by saying "You're a regular Roland Freisler, are you"
what does that even mean? Is this serious? Everybody knows Freisler

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Is this serious? Everybody knows Freisler
Nope. No one cares about who was president of the highest court during the Nazi time. That name is not known to a lot of people, might be different for lawyers (like you said you are) etc, but outside of the law studies Freisler is not a generally important figure everyone knows about.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Nope. No one cares about who was president of the highest court during the Nazi time. That name is not known to a lot of people, might be different for lawyers (like you said you are) etc, but outside of the law studies Freisler is not a generally important figure everyone knows about.
I first learned about him in school where history about nazi Germany was basically taught in every subject every year. No one cares about him? Do people really not know stuff about Sophie Scholl? About Stauffenberg and his colleagues? That's really surprising to me.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I heard about him at school even. I think he's one of the more prominent Nazis and he's basically used as the face of the entire judicial system of that time.

On topic: it's all just so cringy. Keller casually comparing someone to a murdering Nazi reminds me more of some Korn fuelled local club meeting than a DFB leadership meeting and while I guess it really is something he should resign over, the other side look opportunistic to me as well, especially considering that Curtius, who supposedly was the one who alerted the ethics committee to this incident, was "no confidenced" together with Keller.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
what does that even mean? Is this serious? Everybody knows Freisler
On a schoolyard? Or in a football stand? No they don't.
I'm sure I had learned and read about him many times before, still wouldn't have been able to come up with the name.

I first learned about him in school where history about nazi Germany was basically taught in every subject every year. No one cares about him? Do people really not know stuff about Sophie Scholl? About Stauffenberg and his colleagues? That's really surprising to me.
People knowing the household names Stauffenberg and Sophie Scholl (100th birthday these days so just read another article about her today, didn't know she was an ardent BDM member..) from movies or history 101 doesn't mean they know the name of the judge that had them executed.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
https://www.ard.de/home/wissen/Nationalsozialismus__Die_wichtigsten_Koepfe/1588886/index.html

ARD lists him as one of the top 15 influential nazis. So let's agree to disagree in this case.
I'm not sure what's your point. I'm not claiming the guy was not an influential Nazi and is not an important historical figure.

But you don't seriously believe that, if you go out on the street right now and ask 10 people "Who is Roland Freisler?" (you might even make that Heydrich or Speer), you've got good chances of having 1 of 10 being able to give an answer.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
I'm not sure what's your point. I'm not claiming the guy was not an influential Nazi and is not an important historical figure.

But you don't seriously believe that, if you go out on the street right now and ask 10 people "Who is Roland Freisler?" (you might even make that Heydrich or Speer), you've got good chances of having 1 of 10 being able to give an answer.
My point is, it's common knowledge and absolutely not impressive nor should anybody applauded for knowing a top 15 nazi as a german (at least no one older than maybe 20 or so). Obviously if you ask random people on the street (they're not representative) they might say that cocoa drinks come from brown cows.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
My point is, it's common knowledge and absolutely not impressive nor should anybody applauded for knowing a top 15 nazi as a german (at least no one older than maybe 20 or so). Obviously if you ask random people on the street (they're not representative) they might say that cocoa drinks come from brown cows.
You could also select them representatively and make a proper survey. Still won't be more than 2 out of 10 who have instant command of who that person is. In that sense, it is not common knowledge at all.

But, you do realize that it was a tongue-in-cheek comment about the Keller affair? Because to me, it's funny that he would use such a specific insult?

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
You could also select them representatively and make a proper survey. Still won't be more than 2 out of 10 who have instant command of who that person is. In that sense, it is not common knowledge at all.

But, you do realize that it was a tongue-in-cheek comment about the Keller affair? Because to me, it's funny that he would use such a specific insult?

If we assume that Keller wanted to be extra naughty, he may have used the comparison, because it's such a specific insult. After all Rainer Koch was a judge before he became a football official.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Hamburg back to their annual dance of desperation.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We all love to joke about Hamburg, but to be fair I don't think it was such a strange decision. The team choked really badly. Five consecutive games without a win, against mediocre opponents! I haven't watched them enough to argue whether Thioune's football deserved another season, but in general that merits looking for another coach. And if you already know your current coach will not survive the summer and things are looking pretty hopeless in the short term, then you might as well roll the dice with Hrubesch. They have got nothing left to lose anyway.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We all love to joke about Hamburg, but to be fair I don't think it was such a strange decision. The team choked really badly. Five consecutive games without a win, against mediocre opponents! I haven't watched them enough to argue whether Thioune's football deserved another season, but in general that merits looking for another coach. And if you already know your current coach will not survive the summer and things are looking pretty hopeless in the short term, then you might as well roll the dice with Hrubesch. They have got nothing left to lose anyway.
You are right, but it still feels like they are making this change too late. They so far only won three games in the second half of the season (so in the last 14 games) - that is a disaster for a team that wants to win the league. It's not in their hands anymore now, and that is a really bad situation for them.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think it is more suspicious that they end up in this situation almost every season, regardless who's on the bench.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You are right, but it still feels like they are making this change too late. They so far only won three games in the second half of the season (so in the last 14 games) - that is a disaster for a team that wants to win the league. It's not in their hands anymore now, and that is a really bad situation for them.
In hindsight sure, but in reality the timing never was that obvious: they had an initial run of five games without a win, but that one included draws against Fürth and Kiel and it was concluded by wins against Bochum and Heidenheim, after which they were just two points from the top.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Bundesliga is such a banter league. Bayern Munich are paying €62m to take their closest rivals coach and best player.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think it is more suspicious that they end up in this situation almost every season, regardless who's on the bench.
It has to be the pressure. They have tried different coaches, they have rebuilt their squad to a degree and they always manage to stay on course for promotion for the first 30 matches or so, so it's not like they simply aren't good enough.

Bundesliga is such a banter league. Bayern Munich are paying €62m to take their closest rivals coach and best player.
Thank you for that analysis. I'm sure it took you much effort.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This has been discussed at length across various threads, and the Nagelsmann one in particular. It's really unhelpful to keep getting these one-liners from different posters (you're far from the only one). It adds absolutely nothing - it didn't the first time and even less so now that it's old news.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
In hindsight sure, but in reality the timing never was that obvious: they had an initial run of five games without a win, but that one included draws against Fürth and Kiel and it was concluded by wins against Bochum and Heidenheim, after which they were just two points from the top.
The loss against Sandhausen. The two games after that were just a waste of time, and it was relatively clear from the reactions after that match, that they had no idea how to turn around.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The loss against Sandhausen. The two games after that were just a waste of time, and it was relatively clear from the reactions after that match, that they had no idea how to turn around.
I'm all for taking decisive action when you realize something isn't going to work out, but to sack a coach after three bad matches is a gutsy move. It could very well have been merited (I haven't paid that close attention), but that's also the kicker of a chaotic club like Hamburg, they have sacked so many coaches so soon that when it's actually necessary they hesitate, because they are afraid of repeating past mistakes and how it looks to sack yet another coach.

Big Hertha on the ropes against Mainz currently. Luckily they have a Schalke game in hand.

HisNameIsEarl

We may assume that both, Keller and Koch have that knowledge and also that Keller was sure Koch knowing Freisler. For people of their age and education we should assume this as common knowledge.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
This has been discussed at length across various threads, and the Nagelsmann one in particular. It's really unhelpful to keep getting these one-liners from different posters (you're far from the only one). It adds absolutely nothing - it didn't the first time and even less so now that it's old news.
Fair enough, but this is the German football thread so thought it was a catch all for German football. As I log on fairly irregularly I often miss out on the discussion.

Blackwidow

I'm all for taking decisive action when you realize something isn't going to work out, but to sack a coach after three bad matches is a gutsy move. It could very well have been merited (I haven't paid that close attention), but that's also the kicker of a chaotic club like Hamburg, they have sacked so many coaches so soon that when it's actually necessary they hesitate, because they are afraid of repeating past mistakes and how it looks to sack yet another coach.

Big Hertha on the ropes against Mainz currently. Luckily they have a Schalke game in hand.
But - usually when you win against Bayern the next match will be a loss...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They were struggling for at least ten games, did not show any improvement but gradually started to become a bit chaotic on and off the field. It can always happen that a team has a bad run for a few games, but you need to see that the coach has ideas how to come out of this bad run and to improve - but they did not, Thioune made more and more questionable decisions and only increased the insecurity of the players. Those three matches without a win should have been enough to come to the final conclusion, that this does not work. They dragged this out so long, that they now need Kiel to feck up badly - a bit earlier they would have had enough time to really make it a challenge for Kiel. In the end it might still be working out for them, as Kiel has a very tough schedule, but the risk has become bigger than it would have been

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They were struggling for at least ten games, did not show any improvement but gradually started to become a bit chaotic on and off the field. It can always happen that a team has a bad run for a few games, but you need to see that the coach has ideas how to come out of this bad run and to improve - but they did not, Thioune made more and more questionable decisions and only increased the insecurity of the players. Those three matches without a win should have been enough to come to the final conclusion, that this does not work. They dragged this out so long, that they now need Kiel to feck up badly - a bit earlier they would have had enough time to really make it a challenge for Kiel. In the end it might still be working out for them, as Kiel has a very tough schedule, but the risk has become bigger than it would have been
I'm with you in theory, but because of their past it's so, so very hard for someone at Hamburg to make that call.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
12. Mainz 35 pts
13. Augsburg 33 pts
14. Bremen 30 pts
15. Bielefeld 30 pts
16. Köln 29 pts
17. Hertha 27 pts (two games in hand)

Looks like Mainz is through since a lot of the other teams still have to play each other. Pretty impressive after their disastrous start...
The rest really seems to be too close to call. Schake could actually be a factor since they still play Köln and Hertha.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I will have you know not all of those were mediocre :wenger: