German Football 20/21

Sir Tanley Daft

Supports
Local Team & BVB
The marketing of "Die Mannschaft" seems a thing for international marketing, since people who don't know the german language won't see any problem with "Die Mannschaft" being wrong in its semantics, they just hear Die Mannschaft when discussing about football, and think about the german national football team.
Seleção literally means "National team" in english and "Selección nacional" in spanish, and it is also wrong in its semantics, because "Seleção" can also be used to refer to other national teams e.g : "Seleção Argentina de Futebol" or "Seleção Inglesa de Futebol"...and brazilian journalists don't give a crap if foreign journalists/fans can't pronounce "Seleção" properly cause they can't speak portuguese.

Die Mannschaft seems like a good nickname, because it sounds very german.
It doesn't need to have an 'esoterical' or 'astral' meaning to make sense, it's all about marketing.
Also, it's actually not a nickname simply invented for marketing purposes. I lived in the US in the early 2000's and people I played football (soccer) with used to ask me about the 'Mannschaft'. I also remember watching ESPN segments in the run-up to the World Cup in Germany where they talked about 'Die Mannschaft'. Obviously, it's a bit weird that the DFB adopted an international nickname as their quasi-official name but at least it's not quite as generic as it's made out to be in this thread.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think a lot of people owe Oliver Bierhoff and die Mannschaft an apology now.

How exactly is Rudy „fleecing“ them? I also expect my employer to pay me the salary stated in my contract. Schalke and Rudy agreed to that contract after all.
I didn't really mean it as a condemnation of Rudy, as you've said he's just sticking to his contract. But loaning him out for free AND paying half his wages, at a time where their financial problems pushed them to the point of breaking, surely must have been a bitter pill to swallow for Schalke.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I didn't really mean it as a condemnation of Rudy, as you've said he's just sticking to his contract. But loaning him out for free AND paying half his wages, at a time where their financial problems pushed them to the point of breaking, surely must have been a bitter pill to swallow for Schalke.
Well at least to this is a positive spin for Schalke: Rudy did agree to get paid just half his salary during that loan, not the full amount. Of course it is a bitter pill for Schalke that they had to paid that money while Hoffenheim paid virtually nothing for Rudy there, but at least Schalke had €3m less to pay due to that deal.

On the other hand you could say, the opportunity not having to play for Schalke for a season was worth €3m to him :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is Do.ob a weird acronym for Die Oliver Bierhoff? I think so.

German commentator just referred to the Portuguese NT as "Seleção". Discuss.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That guy also thinks Sallai and Szalai are the same person, he's clearly a deeply confused individual.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
On the other hand you could say, the opportunity not having to play for Schalke for a season was worth €3m to him :lol:
For last season it was definitely the right choice then :lol:

It stands for Dortmund.Oliver Bierhoff. I solved that mystery weeks ago, to his chagrin
:lol:

German commentator just referred to the Portuguese NT as "Seleção". Discuss.
Do they have an official marketing term for their team? Something creative like "Jogadores de Futebol"?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So what do we think?
Hummels should have done better for the goal, but he also should not have had to deal with such a cross. The right side is wide open all the time. The front three isn't working at all, Havertz was asleep for half the game and the attack is completely lacking depth in general.
Gosens is probably the player who gets the most space, but he's been just a bit too sloppy with the ball to make anything count.
I looked so well against Latvia, I can't believe it's not working against France.

The one positive I could find is that Toni Kroos has put in some work. Löw probably has to bring on Werner for Havertz and take off Kimmich, before the ref does it for him.

France have it easy, all they need to do is put legs into the center, then run down their left wing..

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So what do we think?
Hummels should have done better for the goal, but he also should not have had to deal with such a cross. The right side is wide open all the time. The front three isn't working at all, Havertz was asleep for half the game and the attack is completely lacking depth in general.
Gosens is probably the player who gets the most space, but he's been just a bit too sloppy with the ball to make anything count.
I looked so well against Latvia, I can't believe it's not working against France.

The one positive I could find is that Toni Kroos has put in some work. Löw probably has to bring on Werner for Havertz and take off Kimmich, before the ref does it for him.

France have it easy, all they need to do is put legs into the center, then run down their left wing..
Wouldn't judge Hummels too harshly. He had to clear that ball, otherwise Mbappé scores. Of course it does not look great and it was definitely possible to clear the ball, but I think the mistakes were made earlier.

Germany did have chances, I think it could also be 1:1 or 1:2 to France.

Thought that yellow for Kimmich was really harsh considering it was the 7th minute.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It is quite apparent that Germany still lack a proper central striker.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Germany not as bad as I thought they would be, France not as good as I thought.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Germany not as bad as I thought they would be, France not as good as I thought.
Germany are a dysfunctional possession side, lots of possession, pushing high up the pitch, leaving plenty of space behind, yet barely creating any danger, aside from some desperate crosses and then wide open on the counter.
France didn't have to do anything more with the ball, they just had to close down the center and then play in Pogba behind Kroos or Mbappe behind Kimmich. It was incredibly lucky that two goals were narrow offsides, Rabiot hit the post and Hummels got his last ditch tackle (somewhat) right.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Germany are a dysfunctional possession side, lots of possession, pushing high up the pitch, leaving plenty of space behind, yet barely creating any danger, aside from some desperate crosses and then wide open on the counter.
France didn't have to do anything more with the ball, they just had to close down the center and then play in Pogba behind Kroos or Mbappe behind Kimmich. It was incredibly lucky that two goals were narrow offsides, Rabiot hit the post and Hummels got his last ditch tackle (somewhat) right.
Do we agree that a CM consisting of Kroos and Gündogan is a stupid idea? Löw tries to play Chelseas 3-4-3 and does not understand that you need a box-to-box player like Kante to make that work, as well as someone who can break the defensive line (Werner). The closest we have to Kante would be Kimmich who was wasted on the right, and the actual Werner sitting on the bench... It's really a disaster that Löw was allowed to still coach this tournament.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do we agree that a CM consisting of Kroos and Gündogan is a stupid idea? Löw tries to play Chelseas 3-4-3 and does not understand that you need a box-to-box player like Kante to make that work, as well as someone who can break the defensive line (Werner). The closest we have to Kante would be Kimmich who was wasted on the right, and the actual Werner sitting on the bench... It's really a disaster that Löw was allowed to still coach this tournament.
Kroos actually did a vlog before the match:

No surprise Pogba had the time of his life when Kroos was the one who was supposed to mark him. I'm also not sure how necessary it is to keep both Gündogan and Kroos relatively deep, when you're already playing with a back three, including Hummels. Ginter and Rüdiger aren't terrible on the ball either, but that's close to the point you were making about CM.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Well, I didn't say it was good, did I?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I hate 3-5 man defenses. Outright detest them.
Nagelsmann better be willing to evolve.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Guys there`s a Euro specific sub forum. This thread should focus on relevant football matters like the glorious upcoming 2nd division season.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Okay that ARD pundit duo is annoying as feck, I now understand what you were talking about @do.ob

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Okay that ARD pundit duo is annoying as feck, I now understand what you were talking about @do.ob
The sad thing is that it's not just Schweinsteiger who is out of his depth, his co-host also makes absolutely no attempts to trick him into accidentally saying something of value. I really wonder how anything can think this is a good product. Even the main stream media is beginning to mock them.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The sad thing is that it's not just Schweinsteiger who is out of his depth, his co-host also makes absolutely no attempts to trick him into accidentally saying something of value. I really wonder how anything can think this is a good product. Even the main stream media is beginning to mock them.
They basically founded their entire broadcast on italian stereotypes and Locatelli's girlfriend, what a disgrace :houllier:

fck

Supports
Bayern
I think there is a noticable gap in quality between the public (ARD/ZDF) and private (SKY/DAZN) broadcasting channels. What always drives me nuts is when the commentator doesn't notice the simplest things. Kimmich complaining because he wants a corner kick but the commentator thinks he was complaining because of a penalty situation for example. Also they often miss the easiest things in replays where you have to wonder what they are looking at (are the screens too small or something?). Most of them probably never kicked a football either, at least that is the impression I get.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think there is a noticable gap in quality between the public (ARD/ZDF) and private (SKY/DAZN) broadcasting channels. What always drives me nuts is when the commentator doesn't notice the simplest things. Kimmich complaining because he wants a corner kick but the commentator thinks he was complaining because of a penalty situation for example. Also they often miss the easiest things in replays where you have to wonder what they are looking at (are the screens too small or something?). Most of them probably never kicked a football either, at least that is the impression I get.
I wouldn't say it is clear cut. I guess actual commentators from private broadcasters are more practiced, commentating like 50 games a year, but on the other hand the public broadcasters use co-commentators during matches, which at least Sky isn't. I would also say that the Kuntz, Boateng and Schult panel is infinitely better than watching Loddar Maddäus or the "Didi-Man" for the 500th time, the stuff with the translator isn't for me, but ZDF is also making a very good effort by having Kramer, Mertesacker and one foreign guest for every match.

fck

Supports
Bayern
I wouldn't say it is clear cut. I guess actual commentators from private broadcasters are more practiced, commentating like 50 games a year, but on the other hand the public broadcasters use co-commentators during matches, which at least Sky isn't. I would also say that the Kuntz, Boateng and Schult panel is infinitely better than watching Loddar Maddäus or the "Didi-Man" for the 500th time, the stuff with the translator isn't for me, but ZDF is also making a very good effort by having Kramer, Mertesacker and one foreign guest for every match.
Yeah when I think about it it's not that clear cut after all and you are right about Loddar and co. I think DAZN is probably the best from my experience and they also often use co-commentators which is definitely a good thing. Kramer and Mertesacker are good but I have to say that I like MagentaTV the most right now because they have generally good experts (Bobic for example) and (co)commentators (I think they borrowed some of them from DAZN and maybe thats why I think that way :)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Kroos retires from die Mannschaft.

Says he made the decision a while ago, because he wants to focus more on his club career and his family and feels he needs some breaks that being a die Mannschaft player has denied him over the last 11 years. Also explicitly thanks Löw.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Says he made the decision a while ago, because he wants to focus more on his club career and his family and feels he needs some breaks that being a die Mannschaft player has denied him over the last 11 years. Also explicitly thanks Löw.
He retires because he knows that Kimmich and Goretzka will start under Flick.

Gündogan will retire too.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He retires because he knows that Kimmich and Goretzka will start under Flick.

Gündogan will retire too.
Im not sure about that, I could have imagined Flick to play a 433 with Kimmich, Goretzka and Kroos in midfield, similar to Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Kroos in 2014

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I doubt anyone is retiring because of Flick yet, I think it's more likely that the Corona season followed by the EC took a lot out of the players and Kroos being older and having won the WC already might genuinely feel like he needs to watch out for his body now. Reus (at least officially) passed on the EC for similar reasons.

Last edited:

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern

He prolly retired cos he didn't sign up to be part of DIE MANNSCHAFT. All he wanted to do is play for the national team.

:P

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Looks like Müller is trying to be serious for once in his life. Not that I disagree with him, but is he really the one who should express this, given his miss against England?

Last edited: