German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It is so funny how Bayern fans bring up Dortmund, who have largely been buying squad players and not systematically the very best players from their just-below rivals who have set there heart to joining Dortmund as Dortmund guarantees trophies, and therefore transfer to Dortmund for significantly lower prices than their market value or let their contracts run down.

What Bayern is doing isn't illegal, but it is absolutely terrible for the league. I really hope that it comes back to bite them as Man United, Real, Bayern, etc outgrows them completely and they can't compete in the CL anymore because their revenues will never match up, and they can primarily go for German/Bundesliga players only I'd hope.
You only need to scroll up one post to see a Leverkusen fan state that Dortmund bought three of their key players, add Reus, Hazard and Dahoud from Gladbach and that's already six players from those two clubs alone in about as many years. Plus Gladbach's coach.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
You only need to scroll up one post to see a Leverkusen fan state that Dortmund bought three of their key players, add Reus, Hazard and Dahoud from Gladbach and that's already six players from those two clubs alone in about as many years. Plus Gladbach's coach.
And you didn't even mention Reus who at the time was also recruited from Gladbach for small money.

Blackwidow

Do they still count as players from rivals when they were big Bayern fans starting as children?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Did these players specifically let their contracts run down for Dortmund or only wanted to go to Dortmund and therefore the club had to sell them for a far under market fee? Dahoud, Hazard aren't exactly weekly starters right?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Did these players specifically let their contracts run down for Dortmund or only wanted to go to Dortmund and therefore the club had to sell them for a far under market fee? Dahoud, Hazard aren't exactly weekly starters right?
How would one know whether players run down contracts for one specific club? Having said that Hazard ran down his contract and actively helped Dortmund get their offer accepted. Both him and Dahoud are important players to Dortmund, but why does that even matter? I thought this was all about how painful these kind of transfers are for the selling club? At least try to keep the logic consistent.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How would one know whether players run down contracts for one specific club? Having said that Hazard ran down his contract and actively helped Dortmund get their offer accepted. Both him and Dahoud are important players to Dortmund, but why does that even matter? I thought this was all about how painful these kind of transfers are for the selling club? At least try to keep the logic consistent.
Also, which players specifically ran down their contracts to join Bayern and only Bayern?

MarkK

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern has always struggled to be financially not quite strong enough to compete with the sharks in the tank (we couldn't even think of buying Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, not even Lukaku, Pogba or Salah) but too strong for the rest of the Bundesliga. So, we are stuck in between, criticised by Bundesliga clubs for executing the financial might that we have and marginalized by privately owned big guns who can outspend Bayern whenever they want to. That's the price of 50+1. Even when we buy a top player, he comes from smaller clubs (Ribery, Makaay etc.), benches of big clubs (Robben) or domestic rivals (Lewandowski, Goretzka etc.). That's simply the financial status that we have, if we could afford to buy in the top shelf, we would probably compete. As we can't, we are buying the likes of Sabitzer, Upamecano, Kimmich, Süle etc., hoping that we are more attractive (at Bayern you can still earn quite a bit of silverware) or at least faster than the richer clubs that can outspend us.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Bayern has always struggled to be financially not quite strong enough to compete with the sharks in the tank (we couldn't even think of buying Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, not even Lukaku, Pogba or Salah) but too strong for the rest of the Bundesliga. So, we are stuck in between, criticised by Bundesliga clubs for executing the financial might that we have and marginalized by privately owned big guns who can outspend Bayern whenever they want to. That's the price of 50+1. Even when we buy a top player, he comes from smaller clubs (Ribery, Makaay etc.), benches of big clubs (Robben) or domestic rivals (Lewandowski, Goretzka etc.). That's simply the financial status that we have, if we could afford to buy in the top shelf, we would probably compete. As we can't, we are buying the likes of Sabitzer, Upamecano, Kimmich, Süle etc., hoping that we are more attractive (at Bayern you can still earn quite a bit of silverware) or at least faster than the richer clubs that can outspend us.
The good thing is that, despite not necessarily being able to compete against other top clubs in terms of transfers, Bayern Munich can still keep up and even exceed other top clubs on the football pitch. Bayern Munich did win a treble in recent years after all.

MarkK

Supports
Bayern Munich
The good thing is that, despite not necessarily being able to compete against other top clubs in terms of transfers, Bayern Munich can still keep up and even exceed other top clubs on the football pitch. Bayern Munich did win a treble in recent years after all.
Yes, and the only way to do that is to be ruthless on the domestic market and smart with foreign talent. Another example: we couldn't even afford Calum f***ing Hudson-Odoi although he would have happily joined us.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ok, am I the only one that thinks that people dance around the big elephant in the room when it comes to the current dynamic between Bayern and Leipzig to shine a more favourable light on it?

People bring up decade long lists to showcase that just like Bayern, Dortmund also signed important from upper level Bundesliga sides to normalize it. And yes, Borussia Dortmund signed three Leverkusen players between 2015 and 2019 and four people went from Gladbach to Dortmund from 2012-2021. People move between clubs, some up the ladder, some down the ladder (Kampl, Bender, Ginter, Hofmann). That is just the nature of professional club football, perhaps a bit more frequently in the Bundesliga compared to other top leagues.

However, there is one very obvious key difference between dealings of Leverkusen and Gladbach with Dortmund and what happened now: the timing.

The abnormality is not that Bayern signed assets from Leipzig here, it is how many they signed at the same time. Bayern basically condensed the period 2013-2015 with Dortmund in a single window this time. And they did it to the runner up of the last season. The magnitude of the power shift between both sides can not be compared to signing a single person at a time. It is far harder to compensate losing that much.

This is not normal transfer activity, it is at the very least a very rare occurence in a top league if not unprecedented between the first and second place finisher.

So of course people will look at it from the outside with raised eye brows and question the competivity of the league at the top in the process. If you remove yourself from the bias and look at it objectively, this is just understandable.

It also does not matter if Bayern supporters don´t consider RB Leipzig to be real threat or rival here. This in itself just cements the conclusion that people will draw from looking at these dealings. If RB Leipzig is no threat to Bayerns dominance, then by extension Borussia Dortmund who performed similarily over the last three years in the league is no threat aswell. Bayern Munich has no rival right now and runs a one horse race where the only challenge is not to trip over themselves.

For a neutral this of course diminishes the attractiveness of the league at least in terms of the title race. Not that this is necessarily Bayerns obligation but that is just the state of things. I personally know that without a emotional connection to a club, I would not have followed the league seriously for a long time. The power dynamic just shifted too much to one side to be exciiting and this transfer summer is a perfect showcase of that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ok, am I the only one that thinks that people dance around the big elephant in the room when it comes to the current dynamic between Bayern and Leipzig to shine a more favourable light on it?

People bring up decade long lists to showcase that just like Bayern, Dortmund also signed important from upper level Bundesliga sides to normalize it. And yes, Borussia Dortmund signed three Leverkusen players between 2015 and 2019 and four people went from Gladbach to Dortmund from 2012-2021. People move between clubs, some up the ladder, some down the ladder (Kampl, Bender, Ginter, Hofmann). That is just the nature of professional club football, perhaps a bit more frequently in the Bundesliga compared to other top leagues.

However, there is one very obvious key difference between dealings of Leverkusen and Gladbach with Dortmund and what happened now: the timing.

The abnormality is not that Bayern signed assets from Leipzig here, it is how many they signed at the same time. Bayern basically condensed the period 2013-2015 with Dortmund in a single window this time. And they did it to the runner up of the last season. The magnitude of the power shift between both sides can not be compared to signing a single person at a time. It is far harder to compensate losing that much.

This is not normal transfer activity, it is at the very least a very rare occurence in a top league if not unprecedented between the first and second place finisher.

So of course people will look at it from the outside with raised eye brows and question the competivity of the league at the top in the process. If you remove yourself from the bias and look at it objectively, this is just understandable.

It also does not matter if Bayern supporters don´t consider RB Leipzig to be real threat or rival here. This in itself just cements the conclusion that people will draw from looking at these dealings. If RB Leipzig is no threat to Bayerns dominance, then by extension Borussia Dortmund who performed similarily over the last three years in the league is no threat aswell. Bayern Munich has no rival right now and runs a one horse race where the only challenge is not to trip over themselves.

For a neutral this of course diminishes the attractiveness of the league at least in terms of the title race. Not that this is necessarily Bayerns obligation but that is just the state of things. I personally know that without a emotional connection to a club, I would not have followed the league seriously for a long time. The power dynamic just shifted too much to one side to be exciiting and this transfer summer is a perfect showcase of that.
But it's not like anyone ever argued against the fact that Bayern have a massive financial advantage and that it's not good for the league that they won so many titles in a row. However people try to spin all kinds of silly theories beyond that fact. When in the end it really is as simple as Bayern have (serious) money, others don't. If Leipzig had it or if they weren't a plastic club they would not have to give their players moderately priced release clauses, such as the one they had to concede to Upamecano.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
But it's not like anyone ever argued against the fact that Bayern have a massive financial advantage and that it's not good for the league that they won so many titles in a row. However people try to spin all kinds of silly theories beyond that fact. When in the end it really is as simple as Bayern have (serious) money, others don't. If Leipzig had it or if they weren't a plastic club they would not have to give their players moderately priced release clauses, such as the one they had to concede to Upamecano.
What I took issue with were the last two pages pointing at Dortmunds dealings and drawing comparisions to what happened in the last months. I just don´t see dynamics between clubs that span over half a decade or more with people moving in both directions in the same light as such a concentrated shift in personell from one side to another. For the former you will find dozens of similar examples in club football while the latter is far more rare. To be honest, I can´t think of a single example of something like this happen in a top league. Can you?

For what its worth, I don´t see any real malice from Bayerns side here, just a massive demonstration of their hold over the league. It is also funny how defensive people get in the process if this very obvious fact is pointed out.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It is also funny how defensive people get in the process if this very obvious fact is pointed out.
That's a rather bizarre summarization of the discussion dynamics here.
It's like if someone called you every morning at 6 o'clock to point out the 'very obvious fact' that the sun is rising, and then would consider it funny how "defensive" you get when you tell them to fecking stop calling.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What I took issue with were the last two pages pointing at Dortmunds dealings and drawing comparisions to what happened in the last months. I just don´t see dynamics between clubs that span over half a decade or more with people moving in both directions in the same light as such a concentrated shift in personell from one side to another. For the former you will find dozens of similar examples in club football while the latter is far more rare. To be honest, I can´t think of a single example of something like this happen in a top league. Can you?

For what its worth, I don´t see any real malice from Bayerns side here, just a massive demonstration of their hold over the league. It is also funny how defensive people get in the process if this very obvious fact is pointed out.
I mean Dortmund were relatively seriously linked to both Sabitzer and Halstenberg this summer, as well as to Nagelsmann around the turn of the year. They already tried to buy him out of a contract once and when that wasn't possible this time either they screwed Gladbach. I don't really see the difference, except that Bayern had enough money to make these moves happen.
Heck, a while back Dortmund poached Sarr from Leverkusen's youth setup, tried to poach their head of academy, sniffed around Tah, Bellarabi and Kießling, hijacked the Sokratis deal after hands were shaken, hijacked the Kampl signing and actually took Toprak and Castro. For good measure Watzke also went after their share of the TV money. All in the span of around two or three years.
If anything that was a coordinated attack. But it wasn't, it's a business and when businessmen see an opportunity for a good deal they take it.

Part of the story is the money, the other is that Leipzig are plastic scum of the highest order, who face no pressure for selling out to Bayern and in fact are probably ecstatic about it as it allows them to brand their little diabetes delivery campaign as a victim and whatever success they may have as some sort of Robin Hood story.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
While it is absolutely true that they like to show their muscles to put domestic competitors into their place, the Sabitzer signing is more the acceptance, that they cannot compete for the best talents. I am pretty sure they would have preferred Cavamingna(sp?) and last season Dest instead of Sarr.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
It is also funny how defensive people get in the process if this very obvious fact is pointed out.
You never showed facts, just stated your opinion. But for some Dortmund-fans that`s often the case that they can`t keep the 2 apart. You love to see it.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
That was a pretty underwhelming transfer deadline day in Germany; mostly some small loans and clubs getting rid of players they don't need. You can tell the pandemic has made everyone stingy...

This is what clubs have done in the final week of August:

Bayern - in: Sabitzer - out: Hoffmann, Richards
Leipzig - in: Moriba - out: Lookman, Sabitzer, Hwang, Sörtloth
Dortmund - in: Pongracic - out: Delaney
Wolfsburg - in: van de Ven, Lukebakio - out: Brekalo, Pongracic, Marmoush
Frankfurt - in: Lammers, Jakic - out: Zuber
Leverkusen - in: Adli - out: Grill, Weiser
Union - in: Möhwald, Oczipka - out: Dajaku, Griesbeck, Ingvartsen
Stuttgart - in: Faghir, Marmoush - out: x
Hoffenheim - in: Richards - out: x
Mainz - in: Ingvartsen - out: Fernandes
Augsburg - in: Zeqiri - out: Malone
Hertha - in: Maolida, Ekkelenkamp, Christensen - out: Dilrosun, Redan, Lukebakio, Cunha
Bielefeld - in: Andrade, Fernandes - out: Gebauer
Fürth - in: Griesbeck, Itten, Willems - out: x
Mönchengladbach, Freiburg, Köln, Bochum - no transfers

It's obvious which club got significantly worse but did any teams actually improve or make some good deals?
Fürth brought in some new players but I don't know what Fürth needed in the first place.
I guess Stuttgart reacted well to Kalajdzic's injury.

I still think it'd be better if the transfer window closed when the season starts.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That was a pretty underwhelming transfer deadline day in Germany; mostly some small loans and clubs getting rid of players they don't need. You can tell the pandemic has made everyone stingy...
Corona definitely curbed spending, but German clubs never were particularly enthusiastic about late spending to begin with. How come Hertha ended the window on a €30m plus though? Is the Windhorst money already gone? I guess getting rid of every established player who might accidentally do something pretty with the ball pleased Dardai, but it seems risky to put together an attack with players from the past and Richter and some guy from Nice's bench. ;)

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Leipzig: Loses captain, someone who didn't perform great last season, Sabitzer because his contract is running down.

Media: OMG Bayern are such bastards, they're destroying the league.

Also Leipzig: Uses money to sign one of the best young CM prospects from Barcelona.

I'm sure Leipzig are really disappointed by this.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Corona definitely curbed spending, but German clubs never were particularly enthusiastic about late spending to begin with. How come Hertha ended the window on a €30m plus though? Is the Windhorst money already gone? I guess getting rid of every established player who might accidentally do something pretty with the ball pleased Dardai, but it seems risky to put together an attack with players from the past and Richter and some guy from Nice's bench. ;)
Just to be clear, they had way less Windhorst money at their disposal than people think. One third of the sum got used to pay off some long-term debt and another third seems to be for covid-related income losses.
That's most likely not Dardai's work either. He was asking for wingers BEFORE they sold Cunha, Lukebakio and Dilrosun so I'm sure he feels a certain type of way about this.
It feels like Bobic was hellbent on getting rid of players Preetz had bought. I see two possible explanations for this: they either were on absolutely ridiculous and unsustainable wages or they got identified as the source of some locker room discontent and the club is hoping for some addition by substraction effect.
I'm pretty sure the plan was to get some new players though and that seems to not have worked out. The last-minute deal for Castillejo fell through so it's obvious they were trying to get someone.
But as it stands Hertha is now a prime candidate for relegation. They have no options on the wings now - Maolida, Jovetic, Mittelstädt, Plattenhardt on the left side and Richter, Zeefuik, Klünter, Pekarik on the right side. That's embarassing and I'm not sure how they expect to score goals, especially with a guy like Piatek up front who relies on people feeding him.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I mean Dortmund were relatively seriously linked to both Sabitzer and Halstenberg this summer, as well as to Nagelsmann around the turn of the year. They already tried to buy him out of a contract once and when that wasn't possible this time either they screwed Gladbach. I don't really see the difference, except that Bayern had enough money to make these moves happen.
I mean, yeah, that is pretty much the conclusion one should draw from all of this. A demonstration of power and the difference between Bayern and the rest of the league.

But let me try to unpack this here.

I don´t believe there were any serious links to Sabitzer as Dortmund simply did not have the ressources to sign another player in an area they already had a surplus in. They sold Thomas Delaney without signing a replacement to hammer that point home. Unless you believe he was meant to be an alternative to Malen? Because that interest got serious way sooner.

Halstenberg was a clear target but the interest in Nagelsmann went cold the moment the guy signed for Leipzig as a midstep for a Bayern deal. The guy was Bayern bound for years now and everybody who followed the league somewhat seriously knew that. He has not been inside Dortmunds reach for a while now.

Heck, a while back Dortmund poached Sarr from Leverkusen's youth setup, tried to poach their head of academy, sniffed around Tah, Bellarabi and Kießling, hijacked the Sokratis deal after hands were shaken, hijacked the Kampl signing and actually took Toprak and Castro. For good measure Watzke also went after their share of the TV money. All in the span of around two or three years.
If anything that was a coordinated attack. But it wasn't, it's a business and when businessmen see an opportunity for a good deal they take it.
And here it gets really wild in your argumentation as it relies a lot on moving the goal posts. Now suddenly is beating the competition for a signature and "sniffing around" aka perhaps showing interest in a player the same as actually signing one of their contracted players? Seriously? Do you realize how many players are constantly being monitored and kept track off by professional scouting and recruitment departments? These lists are long. Only a small fraction of those actually result in signings.

Part of the story is the money, the other is that Leipzig are plastic scum of the highest order, who face no pressure for selling out to Bayern and in fact are probably ecstatic about it as it allows them to brand their little diabetes delivery campaign as a victim and whatever success they may have as some sort of Robin Hood story.
And this is the reason why the outcry by the actual fanbase of the league is very limited. Leipzigs unpopularity colors the response here. Hell, many probably cheer to see Leipzig being brought low. I certainly don´t feel any pity for them as I dislike plastic clubs just as much as the next guy.

This is not the case for many neutrals, though. They just see three key people moving from one supposed top club to the juggernaut of the league at the same time. And that is rare. This is not an opinion this is just a fact and the only thing I can point towards that to prove it is the actual lack of similar occurences.

I heavily dislike the whole BDL-shtick going on in this forum, I have been vocal about that, but in this specific case I can simply relate that people would react that way, especially ones without any negative bias towards Red Bull Leipzig.

NoLogo

Players Dortmund have signed from the Bundesliga in the last 5 years, from the top of my head:

GK: Roman Burki (Freiburg), Korbel (Stuttgart), Marvin Hitz (Augsburg)

Defenders: Jeremy Toljan (Hoffenheim), Mats Hummels (Bayern), Abou Diallo (Mainz), Nico Schulz (Hoffenheim), Omer Toprak (Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Mahmoud Dahoud (Gladbach), Julian Brandt (Leverkusen), Sebastian Rode (Bayern), Delaeney (Bremen), Max Phillip (Freiburg), Andre Schurrle (Wolfsburg), Marius Wolf (Frankfurt), Thorgan Hazard (Gladbach), Mario Gotze (Bayern)

Might be forgetting some more. But sure, Bayern are the team weakening the rest of the league :D
No, you just strategically destroy any team that could get dangerous to your position of power by taking their best players.

It's a difference if you buy players from mid-table teams like Mainz or Hoffenheim or if you mainly buy from Teams placed 2nd - 4th if you have already won the league 10 times in a row. That being said I can't really blame Bayern, why should you let anyone get past you, it's a competition and not a charity.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What are you talking about? Out of their 10 most expensive signings, 4 have been from the Bundesliga (3 being in the bottom half).

At the top you have L.Hernandez, Sane, Upamecano, Tolisso, Javi Martinez and Arturo Vidal; only 1 from the BL and most of them in the last 5-6 seasons. Of course you can include Lewandowski in this as he was a free signing and would also be a top signing, but it is compelte BS to say Bayern's marquee signings have been domestic players when it's the opposite. In fact, Bayern have missed out on the most marquee Bundesliga signings recently (De Bruyne, Sane when he went to City, Sancho, Dembele).

Next I suppose you'll say Gnabry was a marquee signing, eventhough the season before he was a flop at Arsenal and had only one good season at Bremen :lol:

Dortmund have signed plenty of talened BL players in the same time, it's simply that they haven't managed to elevate them to the same level that Bayern have to their own players. There were plenty of doubts around Goretzka when he signed as well, you can go back to his transfer thread to see. He was no different to Dortmund signing Brandt, obviously one turned into a world class player and the other wasn't able to adjust with change of managers.
How come Bayern's strongest eleven features almost none players signed from outside the league, then? Thing is, Bayern significantly level down fees for domestic players so you can hardly go by the total fees. And for me, Tolisso or Hernandez were marquee signings only going by the price, not the quality of the player or his reputation. People are still wondering why Bayern paid €42m respectively €80m for those two. At the time of their arrivals, they were definitely not rated higher than Sabitzer or Upamecano now. And Sané is a German player and at least had a past in the Bundesliga. Vidal was six, Javi Martinez 9 years ago. SO it's hard to argue that Bayern doesn't have a very strong focus on the domestic market those last few years when it comes to their hunting grounds.

That´s not true at all. Toprak and Castro were key players when they left, no need to sugarcoat it.

But in the end, the whole discussion is pointless. Every club on their level acts the same. There is a clear food chain in german football and everyone buys from the teams that are one or two steps below them financially. Bayern buys Sabitzer, Upa, Nübel, Gnabry and Goretzka, Dortmund buys Brandt, Hazard, Kobel, Delaney, Dahoud and Schulz, we buy Demirbay, Amiri, Hradecky, Andrich and so on. It´s also untrue to say that clubs focus on different markets, if you really look at it. Every club signs domestic players, every club tries some foreign players, preferably young talents. Bayern bought Richards, Davies, Roca, Tolisso and Hernandez just like Dortmund bought Haaland, Bellingham, Malen, Meunier, Witsel and Kamara. There is no difference.
Maybe we have different definitions of key players. Toprak and Castro were important but IMO no key players. That term belongs to players like Vidal, Havertz or Brandt (at the time he left, he was one for a relatively short period). Kießling was one for a few seasons, too. Maybe Son and Carvajal. I have similar feelings about Bailey or Sven Bender this window or Volland in the last one. Players that performed to a certain standard but were never really crucial. I'd add Calhanoglu to that list, too. In a way, I was even happy that those players left because I felt they were always a bit overrated.

In the end, our starting line ups consist of much more players who were bought from outside the league and/or are not German than Bayern's. If you look at our current players, I'd say from the possible starters, Wirtz, Demirbay, Andrich, Tah and Hradecky were signed from domestic rivals while Schick, Paulinho, Diaby, Adli, Palacios, Aranguiz, Bakker, Kossounou, Tapsoba and Frimpong came from different leagues.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I mean, yeah, that is pretty much the conclusion one should draw from all of this. A demonstration of power and the difference between Bayern and the rest of the league.

But let me try to unpack this here.

I don´t believe there were any serious links to Sabitzer as Dortmund simply did not have the ressources to sign another player in an area they already had a surplus in. They sold Thomas Delaney without signing a replacement to hammer that point home. Unless you believe he was meant to be an alternative to Malen? Because that interest got serious way sooner.

Halstenberg was a clear target but the interest in Nagelsmann went cold the moment the guy signed for Leipzig as a midstep for a Bayern deal. The guy was Bayern bound for years now and everybody who followed the league somewhat seriously knew that. He has not been inside Dortmunds reach for a while now.
It sounds reasonable to me that he would have been a target if Brandt got sold, the same way Halstenberg's transfer needed Schulz to leave first.
Was Nagelsmann a viable candidate for Dortmund's current appointment? Most likely not but that wasn't out of principle.

And here it gets really wild in your argumentation as it relies a lot on moving the goal posts. Now suddenly is beating the competition for a signature and "sniffing around" aka perhaps showing interest in a player the same as actually signing one of their contracted players? Seriously? Do you realize how many players are constantly being monitored and kept track off by professional scouting and recruitment departments? These lists are long. Only a small fraction of those actually result in signings.
I never said they are the same, but during those years Dortmund severely interfered with Bayer's operation on multiple fronts.

And this is the reason why the outcry by the actual fanbase of the league is very limited. Leipzigs unpopularity colors the response here. Hell, many probably cheer to see Leipzig being brought low. I certainly don´t feel any pity for them as I dislike plastic clubs just as much as the next guy.

This is not the case for many neutrals, though. They just see three key people moving from one supposed top club to the juggernaut of the league at the same time. And that is rare. This is not an opinion this is just a fact and the only thing I can point towards that to prove it is the actual lack of similar occurences.

I heavily dislike the whole BDL-shtick going on in this forum, I have been vocal about that, but in this specific case I can simply relate that people would react that way, especially ones without any negative bias towards Red Bull Leipzig.
To be honest I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I said myself that Bayern's financial and sporting dominance is a problem, should I repeat myself, but in stronger language?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
That's a rather bizarre summarization of the discussion dynamics here.
It's like if someone called you every morning at 6 o'clock to point out the 'very obvious fact' that the sun is rising, and then would consider it funny how "defensive" you get when you tell them to fecking stop calling.
:lol:
I wouldn't mind someone calling me this terrible summer that the sun is actually out in the morning for a change.

Is Sabitzer even good? Lots of outrage for someone I consider a bit of a nothing player. Yeah Leipzig got worse but who gives a shit, trash club.
I also don't get the references to 50+1, Leipzig isn't bound by that so if they wanna start the money rain they're free to do so, no idea what Bayern has to do with that.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I'm also disappointed that @do.ob didn't keep us up to date on Herthas "transfer deadline bar" from their social media team that was stuck at 22% for half a day before it jumped to 86% and finally 100% when they sold/loaned out two players.
@uamini Is Bobic doing an inside job paid by someone in Köpenick to make the squad gradually worse?:wenger:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Just to be clear, they had way less Windhorst money at their disposal than people think. One third of the sum got used to pay off some long-term debt and another third seems to be for covid-related income losses.
That's most likely not Dardai's work either. He was asking for wingers BEFORE they sold Cunha, Lukebakio and Dilrosun so I'm sure he feels a certain type of way about this.
It feels like Bobic was hellbent on getting rid of players Preetz had bought. I see two possible explanations for this: they either were on absolutely ridiculous and unsustainable wages or they got identified as the source of some locker room discontent and the club is hoping for some addition by substraction effect.
I'm pretty sure the plan was to get some new players though and that seems to not have worked out. The last-minute deal for Castillejo fell through so it's obvious they were trying to get someone.
But as it stands Hertha is now a prime candidate for relegation. They have no options on the wings now - Maolida, Jovetic, Mittelstädt, Plattenhardt on the left side and Richter, Zeefuik, Klünter, Pekarik on the right side. That's embarassing and I'm not sure how they expect to score goals, especially with a guy like Piatek up front who relies on people feeding him.
My serious take is that there have been reports about Hertha's dressing room climate being a bit toxic and it looks like Bobic is trying to fix it all at once, even if it means letting players like Dilrosun and Lukebakio go out on loan.
It's a reasonable move on paper, but as you mentioned yourself it looks like he botched its execution. For one by doing the majority of the shifting after the season already started and secondly, because he left it until so very late that he actually missed out on transfers.
It looks pretty insane on paper to leave your squad short of a few important players, when you're already sitting at the very bottom of the table.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I'm also disappointed that @do.ob didn't keep us up to date on Herthas "transfer deadline bar" from their social media team that was stuck at 22% for half a day before it jumped to 86% and finally 100% when they sold/loaned out two players.
@uamini Is Bobic doing an inside job paid by someone in Köpenick to make the squad gradually worse?:wenger:
I thought the consensus was it's a trojan horse deployed by Frankfurt. :)
People in Frankfurt always claim that it was their scout Ben Manga who was the one finding all those gems. I doubt that it was only him doing the work but this transfer window has been disastrous for Bobic's crew.
And don't get me started on that loading bar that seemed permantently stuck on 22% and then jumped by 64% when they got rid of Redan....embarassing. :lol:

As do.ob said, "It looks pretty insane on paper to leave your squad short of a few important players, when you're already sitting at the very bottom of the table."

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How could I miss this thing of beauty. What did the bar represent? Was it some sort of desperation meter?
And what's up with the condom wrappers?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

This is what clubs have done in the final week of August:

Bayern - in: Sabitzer - out: Hoffmann, Richards
Leipzig - in: Moriba - out: Lookman, Sabitzer, Hwang, Sörtloth
Dortmund - in: Pongracic - out: Delaney
Wolfsburg - in: van de Ven, Lukebakio - out: Brekalo, Pongracic, Marmoush
Frankfurt - in: Lammers, Jakic - out: Zuber
Leverkusen - in: Adli - out: Grill, Weiser
Union - in: Möhwald, Oczipka - out: Dajaku, Griesbeck, Ingvartsen
Stuttgart - in: Faghir, Marmoush - out: x
Hoffenheim - in: Richards - out: x
Mainz - in: Ingvartsen - out: Fernandes
Augsburg - in: Zeqiri - out: Malone
Hertha - in: Maolida, Ekkelenkamp, Christensen - out: Dilrosun, Redan, Lukebakio, Cunha
Bielefeld - in: Andrade, Fernandes - out: Gebauer
Fürth - in: Griesbeck, Itten, Willems - out: x
Mönchengladbach, Freiburg, Köln, Bochum - no transfers

It's obvious which club got significantly worse but did any teams actually improve or make some good deals?
Fürth brought in some new players but I don't know what Fürth needed in the first place.
I guess Stuttgart reacted well to Kalajdzic's injury.

I still think it'd be better if the transfer window closed when the season starts.
Nick Viergever also joined Fürth (coming from PSV).

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Nick Viergever also joined Fürth (coming from PSV).
Yeah, a bit weird that they only announced it today at noon.
Is he any good? Ajax, PSV and Alkmaar is not too bad as a career path.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, a bit weird that they only announced it today at noon.
Is he any good? Ajax, PSV and Alkmaar is not too bad as a career path.
I think he was supposed to be good, and it was a nice catch for PSV to be able to buy him from Ajax in 2018. But he lost his position at PSV last season and would have been back-up now, which I suppose is why he's transferring to what I would say is a smaller club. I'm not sure what happened there, but he should be able to strengthen Fürth, I would think. I have no idea who they have in his position; but I'd think that he wouldn't have joined them to be back-up again.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think he was supposed to be good, and it was a nice catch for PSV to be able to buy him from Ajax in 2018. But he lost his position at PSV last season and would have been back-up now, which I suppose is why he's transferring to what I would say is a smaller club. I'm not sure what happened there, but he should be able to strengthen Fürth, I would think. I have no idea who they have in his position; but I'd think that he wouldn't have joined them to be back-up again.
Fürth needed a quick replacement as Gideon Jung git heavily injured. They have no one really outstanding at CB, so Viergever should have a good opportunity to play a lot, but even if he should become a backup he definitely is in a bigger league now, even if Fürth as a club are not that big.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fürth needed a quick replacement as Gideon Jung git heavily injured. They have no one really outstanding at CB, so Viergever should have a good opportunity to play a lot, but even if he should become a backup he definitely is in a bigger league now, even if Fürth as a club are not that big.
Yeah, the bigger league is nice; but then Fürth is going to be fighting relegation while PSV will be competing for the title and playing in Europe. But even if you're going to be back-up anyway, it might be nice to warm another bench and see different stadiums. ;) Anyway, I hope he'll get a spot in the starting squad and do well.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Fürth have one of the youngest and by far the single worst squad in the league. Their back four in particular had an average age of under 23 against Mainz. And it seems to have shown during their matches. It's no surprise they signed three experienced defensive players in Viergever, 30 year old Griesbeck from Union and Willems from Franfurt and I assume they pitched Viergever that he will be a designated leader of the squad.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Kicker did a big Bobic interview:

-he already felt they were done with signings before lunch
-apologizes for the loading bar
-"We let go players, of whom everyone said, that maybe they don't wear the shirt, like they should be."
-"Their names [of his signings] may not be well known, but they had well known names here for the last two years."
-"We are not a club that is is cash-strapped, nor one which is rich. [Being] Rich is something we once had".
-Missing out on Castillejo was just typical deadline day madness, where too many things have to be sorted in, too little time.
-They let Dilrosun go, even after Castillejo fell through, because he was desperate to leave and had his head somewhere else.
-Lukebakio was desperate to leave as well and for a long time, so they loaned him to Wolfsburg, to give him a platform.
-Big changes need big time in the big city.
-He scolds Dardai for telling the press "I'm not glued to my seat, I'm just helping out at the moment", says he clearly addressed the issue internally as well. Says not everything is perfectly fine, but fine enough to keep going forward without looking back.
-Further talks about Dardai reacting to emotional.
-Further talks about how Dardai needs to be less emotional.
-Further talks about how Dardai showed weakness and needs to be less emotional.
-Talks about how Dardai is happy with the squad now.
-Talks about how Dardai shouldn't look towards the past, but towards the future.
-Expects better Gegenpressing, more esprit, more unoredictability, more flexibility and
-Says he rather would have kept Boateng out of the Wolfsburg game, because he had back pain.
-Some stuff about the squad in general: Ekkelenkamp needs time, Boateng and Jovetic are old, but still can play 90 minutes, but maybe they won't, which would also be fine.

https://www.kicker.de/bobic-ueber-dardai-sein-emotionaler-ausbruch-war-unnoetig-870328/artikel

I'm not really used to a (quasi) DoF speaking so freely, especially about his coach. Usually they just pretend everything is fine or they have seen some good moments, but need to convert them into points, soon. But not nearly this detail.

Boavista

Yeah, the bigger league is nice; but then Fürth is going to be fighting relegation while PSV will be competing for the title and playing in Europe. But even if you're going to be back-up anyway, it might be nice to warm another bench and see different stadiums. ;) Anyway, I hope he'll get a spot in the starting squad and do well.
Do you know if PSV expects Ritsu Doan to play an important role this season? I thought he was one of the highlights of Bielefeld's season, but the lowish release clause was still too high for them I guess. Surprised no other Bundesliga club tried to sign him but maybe PSV has plans for him after losing a number of important players?

I don't know if impressing for Bielefeld is good enough for PSV's ambitions though but we'll see.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Do you know if PSV expects Ritsu Doan to play an important role this season? I thought he was one of the highlights of Bielefeld's season, but the lowish release clause was still too high for them I guess. Surprised no other Bundesliga club tried to sign him but maybe PSV has plans for him after losing a number of important players?

I don't know if impressing for Bielefeld is good enough for PSV's ambitions though but we'll see.
Sorry, I have no idea. A quick glance at Transfermarkt suggests that he has not featured yet this season and is facing some pretty stiff competition even to get on as a substitute; but that's not very insightful. Maybe @Eendracht maakt macht or @PSV knows more?

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven

Via @Cheimoon

He’ll probably be a bench player who will get playing time and occasionally will start. Bundesliga clubs did inform but just like Bielefeld they thought the price was too high. We have Götze and Madueke playing in his best positions but if they pick up a injury he might become a starter. Even then we have various options. We haven’t seen him play yet this season due to the Olympics so hopefully he developed at Bielefeld because just like you said he played really well over there. End product is/was lacking though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Jerome Boateng has been sentenced to pay a fine of €1.8m in his domestic violence trial. His former partner had accused him of some pretty violent things and from what I have read an expert medical witness said the facts supported her claims.

Last edited: