German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Yes they should have created more but again Italy too didn't create much against England does not mean Italy also useless. Infact germany created more chances against England than Italy.
Football is a funny game, where the score is usually close and where one moment can change everything, especially in a knockout format. If Müller scores his chance, there is a good chance that the momentum favors the Germans to win who then have a manageable path to the final. There would be a good chance that Löw ends his tenure as a respectable finalist or maybe even champion. It would be a complete different narrative.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Schalke vs HSV, Rostock vs KSC @Kasper @hellhunter , Bremen vs Hannover, St Pauli vs Kiel

what a massive blockbuster of a first match day next weekend :drool:

surely might shape up to become the greatest 2nd division season in history

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's actually very instructional. I was forever confused about the two different versions.
Well, now you've encouraged me, I should add that 'Dutch' here refers to names of people that are actually from the Netherlands. In Belgium, I think they normally always capitalize the pronoun. Internationally, it depends on the person. I follow Dutch practice for my own surname given I grew up in the Netherlands and that's how I know it's supposed to be done; but I suppose my kids, who are growing up in Canada, won't be as consistent in that, and their kids will just always capitalize the capital, as people do over here with surnames.

Now you know even more!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Well, now you've encouraged me, I should add that 'Dutch' here refers to names of people that are actually from the Netherlands. In Belgium, I think they normally always capitalize the pronoun. Internationally, it depends on the person. I follow Dutch practice for my own surname given I grew up in the Netherlands and that's how I know it's supposed to be done; but I suppose my kids, who are growing up in Canada, won't be as consistent in that, and their kids will just always capitalize the capital, as people do over here with surnames.

Now you know even more!
So just to be sure: It is
"Erik ten Hag has extended his contract at Ajax" but "Spurs were unsuccessful in their attempt to lure Ten Hag to White Hart Lane"?

What about MAtS? He has a Dutch name, would you write Marc-André ter Stegen, but Ter Stegen?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So just to be sure: It is
"Erik ten Hag has extended his contract at Ajax" but "Spurs were unsuccessful in their attempt to lure Ten Hag to White Hart Lane"?

What about MAtS? He has a Dutch name, would you write Marc-André ter Stegen, but Ter Stegen?
Yep, that's correct on Ten Hag.

Ter Stegen is German, so you'd have to know what he does and follow that. His last name does look Dutch to me as well (the 'ter' in particular), but I don't know what his ancestry is, and people often adopt the local practice. But yeah, if he were from the Netherlands, you'd do as you write.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yep, that's correct on Ten Hag.

Ter Stegen is German, so you'd have to know what he does and follow that. His last name does look Dutch to me as well (the 'ter' in particular), but I don't know what his ancestry is, and people often adopt the local practice. But yeah, if he were from the Netherlands, you'd do as you write.
His commonly used initials are MAtS so I assumed he follows the Dutch custom you outlined.

But funnily enough, while Ten Hag's German wiki https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_ten_Hag uses it the way you describe, i.e. Ten Hag if there's no first name, MAtS's wiki https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc-André_ter_Stegen uses ter Stegen as standalone last name, and then suddenly within the NT section, and in the section "Sonstiges" where they explain that his last name is from Dutch ancestors, it switches to Ter Stegen. :lol:

Kearnkoff69

Anybody know how KSC looks this year? I have old family friends who have lived in Wörth am Rhein (who therefore are huge KSC fans) so I have a real soft spot for that team (been to a couple games as well, really fun atmosphere). I have trouble finding 2d division games easily online, but it would be fun to see them do well.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
His commonly used initials are MAtS so I assumed he follows the Dutch custom you outlined.

But funnily enough, while Ten Hag's German wiki https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_ten_Hag uses it the way you describe, i.e. Ten Hag if there's no first name, MAtS's wiki https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc-André_ter_Stegen uses ter Stegen as standalone last name, and then suddenly within the NT section, and in the section "Sonstiges" where they explain that his last name is from Dutch ancestors, it switches to Ter Stegen. :lol:
There are a lot of similar names in northern Germany and usually they are not capitalised in the middle of a sentence, just at the beginning. So writing ter Stegen would be normal for me.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Anybody know how KSC looks this year? I have old family friends who have lived in Wörth am Rhein (who therefore are huge KSC fans) so I have a real soft spot for that team (been to a couple games as well, really fun atmosphere). I have trouble finding 2d division games easily online, but it would be fun to see them do well.
We have a guy here, who insists that KSC are a big club, maybe someone can tag him for you, because I don't remember which of the posters it is at the moment.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
We have a guy here, who insists that KSC are a big club, maybe someone can tag him for you, because I don't remember which of the posters it is at the moment.
@hellhunter

Kearnkoff69

That's hilarious - even my friends would not claim such a thing (despite their fanaticism). I appreciate the tag and look forward to hearing more from hellhunter.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's hilarious - even my friends would not claim such a thing (despite their fanaticism). I appreciate the tag and look forward to hearing more from hellhunter.
I meant that entirely tongue in cheek, before anyone gets offended ;)

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The KSC is barely bigger than Waldhof Mannheim, really. Not nearly as big a club as the mighty 1. FC Kaiserslautern.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

There are a lot of similar names in northern Germany and usually they are not capitalised in the middle of a sentence, just at the beginning. So writing ter Stegen would be normal for me.
Guess you can tell where the people editing each part of that entry came from. :lol:

Yeah, my experience abroad is that people stick with whatever spelling is used for the full name. So if it's Marc-André ter Stegen, then it's always lower-case; but if it were 'Ter' in there, it'd always be capitalized.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Hey there! To be honest, I don't really know how preseason went so far, apart from hammering a couple of small clubs and losing 4-1 vs Zenit. One of the new signings tore his ACL already, so off to a solid start.

End of last season, Karlsruhe was really running out of steam, but could still theoretically get promotion until the second to last match day, a sign of the good season they played.

If the years of supporting Karlsruhe have taught me one thing though, it's never to expect much. Notoriously skint, they rely on a hit and miss approach to new players. Out of favor players, youngsters, unknowns. Some work nicely, some don't, so every season promotion and relegation are both possible.

The coach, Eichner, is doing good things, and I'd trust him to have a good season again. With all the heavy hitters this season, I would be content with a middle of the table finish. Squad will be very thin as always, so multiple injuries to crucial players can end up in a relegation scrap quickly, but it looks like their best goalgetter Hofmann is staying, so that's good news. He scored 13 and 17 the last two seasons for a team with little offensive output, so if he leaves Karlsruhe will be in trouble.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't think anyone would admit to that in public.
What about the people in their stands?

WAIT! Was COVID-19 created by Kaiserlauterns fans to give them an excuse not to come into the stadium and be identified anymore?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What about the people in their stands?

WAIT! Was COVID-19 created by Kaiserlauterns fans to give them an excuse not to come into the stadium and be identified anymore?
Wow. Straight to the hot takes, I see. Lautern were just above relegation when the season was interrupted, so it could be true, who knows, we'll have to ask Q.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Wow. Straight to the hot takes, I see. Lautern were just above relegation when the season was interrupted, so it could be true, who knows, we'll have to ask Q.
They think they support a great club. Do you really think they have they intellectual ability to pull of something like this pandemy?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
:D

I think the Bielefeld conspiracy isn't very popular anymore, so maybe it's Kaiserslautern's turn now in Germany.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Kaiserslautern is a huge club, bigger than Mainz, Hoffenheim, or Hannover for that matter.

Kearnkoff69

Hey there! To be honest, I don't really know how preseason went so far, apart from hammering a couple of small clubs and losing 4-1 vs Zenit. One of the new signings tore his ACL already, so off to a solid start.

End of last season, Karlsruhe was really running out of steam, but could still theoretically get promotion until the second to last match day, a sign of the good season they played.

If the years of supporting Karlsruhe have taught me one thing though, it's never to expect much. Notoriously skint, they rely on a hit and miss approach to new players. Out of favor players, youngsters, unknowns. Some work nicely, some don't, so every season promotion and relegation are both possible.

The coach, Eichner, is doing good things, and I'd trust him to have a good season again. With all the heavy hitters this season, I would be content with a middle of the table finish. Squad will be very thin as always, so multiple injuries to crucial players can end up in a relegation scrap quickly, but it looks like their best goalgetter Hofmann is staying, so that's good news. He scored 13 and 17 the last two seasons for a team with little offensive output, so if he leaves Karlsruhe will be in trouble.
I really appreciate the very detailed response! Sounds like they could be fun to watch if I can find their matches this season. The bolded portion of your reply answers my other question, which is about the wild swings in quality year over year. When I last saw them play in person, they were part of the third division, and yet as you mention they've had seasons recently where they came close to promotion.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Kaiserslautern is a huge club, bigger than Mainz, Hoffenheim, or Hannover for that matter.
Huge is a strong word?! They are probably the size of Hannover, albeit with a much bigger past.

Grande

I’m so chuffed Eisern Union managed to climb up to Erste, never mind getting above Hertha in the table, never mind going head to head with all the big teams and qualifying for a European tournament (albeit a glorified intertoto one)! Stadion an der Alten Vörsterei is a sight to be hold on any given Samstag. But Urs Fischer is really a catch (pun intended) for Union. A calm, friendly leader with a cheeky smile, tactically apt and a wonderful swiss german dialect.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Cannot believe Schalke, Bermen and Hamburg are in the second division.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Huge is a strong word?! They are probably the size of Hannover, albeit with a much bigger past.
Both clubs have an interesting piece of history to share... in 1954 Kaiserslautern was seen as the best Club in Germany, their players were the core of the German WC win in Bern. Yet German Champion that year was Hannover :cool:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Both clubs have an interesting piece of history to share... in 1954 Kaiserslautern was seen as the best Club in Germany, their players were the core of the German WC win in Bern. Yet German Champion that year was Hannover :cool:
And Karlsruhe won the cup the two following seasons :cool:

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Im surprised nobody has caught on to @do.ob renaming Köln's newly assigned coach. Who is this Stefan Baumgartlinger he is talking about, Julian Baumgartlinger's estranged uncle? :)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Im surprised nobody has caught on to @do.ob renaming Köln's newly assigned coach. Who is this Stefan Baumgartlinger he is talking about, Julian Baumgartlinger's estranged uncle? :)
My fervent support for Leverkusen got the better of me. :nervous:

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
My fervent support for Leverkusen got the better of me. :nervous:
I actually looked it up quite thoroughly because I half expected that Steffen Baumgart was some kind of stage name, especially since you got both halves of his name wrong and I read it three times in two seperate posts :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How long have Hamburg been in the second division now? I thought they’d come up straight away

GuyfromAustria

How long have Hamburg been in the second division now? I thought they’d come up straight away
3 years:

In 18/19 they were 1st or 2nd place from matchday 11 until matchday 30, then they dropped to fourth place.
First half of the season: 1st
Second half of the season: 15th

In 19/20 they were top 3 from matchday 2 until matchday 32, then they dropped to fourth in the second to last round.
First half of the season: 2nd
Second half of the season: 7th

In 20/21 they were top 2-3 for most of the season, leading the table after 16 different matchdays, then they dropped to fourth in week 28.
First half of the season: 1st
Second half of the season: 10th

So perhaps a good start wouldn't mean it's finally their year. :lol: