German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In 2018-19, the last full season to be played prior to the coronavirus pandemic, this year's second-division clubs recorded a combined average attendance of 24,500.
To put that in perspective, that would make this current Bundesliga 2 the fourth-most-watched league in Europe, behind La Liga (27,100 in 2018-19), the Premier League (38,200) and the Bundesliga (42,738), and ahead of Serie A (25,000) and Ligue 1 (22,800).

Why Bundesliga 2 is European football's real 'Super League'

In line with the Super League tag Schalke's coach said on their pre-match presser that he can't use all the players at the club, because "with some players financial the financial aspect is so important that playing them is simply not possible". Most likely referring to players such as Amine Harit or Omar Mascarell, who are supposed to leave, but haven't found a club yet. Which must be a pity for the coach, since especially Harit is someone who could all but guarantee they have a good start to the season if he wanted to.

sparx99

In 2018-19, the last full season to be played prior to the coronavirus pandemic, this year's second-division clubs recorded a combined average attendance of 24,500.
To put that in perspective, that would make this current Bundesliga 2 the fourth-most-watched league in Europe, behind La Liga (27,100 in 2018-19), the Premier League (38,200) and the Bundesliga (42,738), and ahead of Serie A (25,000) and Ligue 1 (22,800).

In line with the Super League tag Schalke's coach said on their pre-match presser that he can't use all the players at the club, because "with some players financial the financial aspect is so important that playing them is simply not possible". Most likely referring to players such as Amine Harit or Omar Mascarell, who are supposed to leave, but haven't found a club yet. Which must be a pity for the coach, since especially Harit is someone who could all but guarantee they have a good start to the season if he wanted to.
Doesn’t the Championship usually come out 3-4th in attendance as well? I guess it depends on the makeup of teams each year but I’ve definitely seen a similar article to this where it shows how popular the championship is.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Doesn’t the Championship usually come out 3-4th in attendance as well? I guess it depends on the makeup of teams each year but I’ve definitely seen a similar article to this where it shows how popular the championship is.
Statista says the average attendance was around 17,000 until 2016 and then around 20,000 the following three seasons.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus

Hm...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The (already confirmed) starting XIs, lined up by Kicker, though I'm pretty sure Latza will have much more defensive duties than Drexler, so it will be some form of 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2. The guy in Hamburg's CM is Ludovit Reis, the Dutch Barcelona legend.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

The (already confirmed) starting XIs, lined up by Kicker, though I'm pretty sure Latza will have much more defensive duties than Drexler, so it will be some form of 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2. The guy in Hamburg's CM is Ludovit Reis, the Dutch Barcelona legend.
2nd division lineups if I ever saw any :lol: :lol:

these clubs are so fecked :lol: :lol:

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Terodde a cheat code in the second league.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
2nd division lineups if I ever saw any :lol: :lol:

these clubs are so fecked :lol: :lol:
On one hand I'm impressed how many players with experience and a bit of a name (relatively speaking) Schalke managed to sign while being broke, but on the other hand they have two young CBs in their team, a 24 year old LB (who is loaned) and the rest are all late 20s or early 30s. It looks a bit like they are going all-in on this season and even if this is successful, they will have to buy a new team again, because almost all of their players are decent 2nd division players who seem to have zero potential for development.

Stuttgart for example used their relegations as a blessing in disguise to sign all kinds of talented players and really got rewarded for it with a string of now €15m+ players. But they weren't as broke and desperate as Schalke.

Clever HSV, doing their bottling early into the season now, so they can't do it at the end.

Captain Latza with a knee injury 30 minutes into the season, if Hamburg had converted their penalty this would've been just like last season for Schalke. :lol:

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ooooooooh beautiful goal by the HSV

they've won it, and deservedly

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Tiki Taka Tim :drool:

I've coined that name myself, you're welcome

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Schalke playing the same horrible football like last year.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schalke in trouble already? Their next game is against Kiel. :lol:

I liked Hamburg, they seem to be trying to play decent football. This was the hardest match of the season on paper and they weren't fazed at all by the 0-1 or their missed penalty.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I saw this fun stat on Twitter: years since the inaugural Bundesliga season vs # of Schalke coaches. If yesterday's match is anything to go by we might soon see the coaches pull ahead. :lol:

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
It's a shambles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

last place no matter in what league since 17.01.2021. Last or next to last since 18.09.2020. Absolutely insane

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
First VAR moment in our history and it's been an absolute joke of a decision:mad:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's a shambles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

last place no matter in what league since 17.01.2021. Last or next to last since 18.09.2020. Absolutely insane
From chaos club to being most consistent club in Europe. What a development.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
From chaos club to being most consistent club in Europe. What a development.
it‘s such a joke..to stand where they stand with this heritage and background…my god :lol:
After seeing the match yesterday, it’s not a stretch to say it‘ll take quite a while to get in the first division again. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised but it’s even more awful than I thought.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
it‘s such a joke..to stand where they stand with this heritage and background…my god :lol:
After seeing the match yesterday, it’s not a stretch to say it‘ll take quite a while to get in the first division again. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised but it’s even more awful than I thought.
That has become one of their biggest problems. Schalke's philosophy is stuck in 1997.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
That has become one of their biggest problems. Schalke's philosophy is stuck in 1997.
yea, people at the club and fans never stopped romanticizing the past and refuse to accept modern football and complete commercialization of the industry. Schalke‘s legal form is such a relict from the past. This refusal also led to strange decisionmaking when it comes to officials, rather employ old and liked faces instead of experts. Incompetence runs very deep at Schalke and if this state stays for several years, downfall is inevitable. Schalke, Bremen, Hamburg, to a certain extent Stuttgart come to mind.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ajax playing Bayern at the moment. Zirkzee with 1 of the most hilarious misses I can remember.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Ajax playing Bayern at the moment. Zirkzee with 1 of the most hilarious misses I can remember.
Absolutely weird miss! Don't think he has a chance at Bayern. He's not good enough for a club that size. Obviously there's still time for him to become a better player, but that process will take too much time for an elite club to wait it out. He needs to play as often as he can to have a chance on an international level. Haven't followed any rumours so far, but surely he will choose another club rather sooner than later, right?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Absolutely weird miss! Don't think he has a chance at Bayern. He's not good enough for a club that size. Obviously there's still time for him to become a better player, but that process will take too much time for an elite club to wait it out. He needs to play as often as he can to have a chance on an international level. Haven't followed any rumours so far, but surely he will choose another club rather sooner than later, right?
If I'm not mistaken he was loaned to Parma with an option to buy last season. It seems like Bayern want to focus on Arp.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
If I'm not mistaken he was loaned to Parma with an option to buy last season. It seems like Bayern want to focus on Arp.
Okay, but why Arp? He's 21 and didn't develop much better than Zirkzee, did he? Bayern youth academy really isn't the best one. Which is kind of surprising, since they invest/invested quite a lot into that academy.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Okay, but why Arp? He's 21 and didn't develop much better than Zirkzee, did he? Bayern youth academy really isn't the best one. Which is kind of surprising, since they invest/invested quite a lot into that academy.
I think Bayern is trying to cut Arp off, but No club on his level can pay his wages

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Bayern are focusing on Haaland.
Seems like they have problems holding players like Coman and Goretzka, yet they want to focus on Haaland? Club officials at Bayern are among the most conservative when it comes to economy. This will never happen, but I think I miss the irony, as I do so regularly.
no white text either

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The german olympic team is currently drawing 2:2 against Saudi Arabia...

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Max Kruse proposed to his girlfriend live on TV after the match against Saudi Arabia at the Olympics. :lol:

Update: His girlfriend said "Yes".