German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Maybe it's the sound engineers, but what's going on with Hamburg's crowd?

It still hurts :(
It doesn't seem to have done Hamburg much good in the long run either. :lol:

And we seem to have gone full circle:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Of course every game has to go to penalties, but this one. Magath went straight to the dressing room, he has to live with this for the rest of his life and he knows it.

In the end a deserved victory though.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Beaten by a misplaced cross....this season has been some top-notch satire.

I guess the funniest bit would be if they somehow won 2:0 in Hamburg.
Well, guess I was right after all. :)

Relegation playoffs are still a terrible idea, it's so painful for the team that loses.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bobic just said he's looking forward to getting three hours worth of insults at the upcoming AGM. I like his humor. :lol:

Well, guess I was right after all. :)

Relegation playoffs are still a terrible idea, it's so painful for the team that loses.
Congratulations.

Since I just noticed: are you actually a fan of Nestle's Wurst division? Or did some admin play a joke on you?

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Bobic just said he's looking forward to getting three hours worth of insults at the upcoming AGM. I like his humor. :lol:

Congratulations.

Since I just noticed: are you actually a fan of Nestle's Wurst division? Or did some admin play a joke on you?
Well I didn't write that so not sure what that means...then again even German board members have the weird tendency to misspiell Hertha.

RoyH1

So HSV spends another season as the biggest club in the world not in the top division of their country. What are the odds? Is this bad management from the top? Scouting and recruiting? Or is there a deeper malaise?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So HSV spends another season as the biggest club in the world not in the top division of their country. What are the odds? Is this bad management from the top? Scouting and recruiting? Or is there a deeper malaise?
Actually I think they are on the right track now and this season was indeed a sign of progress. They needed some time to adjust to the reality of the second league, until then it always looked a bit like they couldn't deal with the pressure of "actually we are a first division club". Now they just seem to be the biggest second division club, and that seems to allow them some continuity.

It's the first season where they didn't crumble under pressure at the end, but just had a slow start due to actually building a team with a clear (and unusual) playing style.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Fantastic signing for Wolfsburg!?

Actually I think they are on the right track now and this season was indeed a sign of progress. They needed some time to adjust to the reality of the second league, until then it always looked a bit like they couldn't deal with the pressure of "actually we are a first division club". Now they just seem to be the biggest second division club, and that seems to allow them some continuity.

It's the first season where they didn't crumble under pressure at the end, but just had a slow start due to actually building a team with a clear (and unusual) playing style.
I agree. They seem to have sorted themselves out for the most part, but it has taken them so long that this doesn't automatically mean promotion (like it did for Werder or Schalke) anymore.

Last edited:

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I agree. They seem to have sorted themselves out for the most part, but it has taken them so long that this doesn't automatically mean promotion (like it did for Werder or Schalke) anymore.
Next season might end up being a golden opportunity though as the 2. Bundesliga looks weaker than in the past few years. Fürth and Bielefeld don't feel like the kind of clubs that will automatically dominate their peers.
Conversely the 23/24 season could be much more problematic again as it's likely that some established Bundesliga clubs will get relegated and it could be similar to this year's Schalke/Werder situation.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Next season is a must for HSV. Wont be easy since there will always be 2 or 3 clubs surprisingly fighting for promotion but HSV are the favorites. Can´t let 2 teams finish above them again or it will be a failure.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Next season might end up being a golden opportunity though as the 2. Bundesliga looks weaker than in the past few years. Fürth and Bielefeld don't feel like the kind of clubs that will automatically dominate their peers.
Conversely the 23/24 season could be much more problematic again as it's likely that some established Bundesliga clubs will get relegated and it could be similar to this year's Schalke/Werder situation.
I wouldn't phrase it that strongly: Schalke and Werder weren't miles ahead of the competition, St. Pauli and Darmstadt were able to keep up or even stay ahead of them all season. Düsseldorf had a very strong finish to the season as well, after they appointed Thioune - wouldn't it be ironic if he were to interefere with Hamburg's promotion next year. Hannover getting Leitl probably means they showed him some ambition, too.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
By the way is it me or does it feel like the Bundesliga relegation battle will be wide open next season?
I know the transfer window hasn't even opened yet but at this point I see a lot of potential clubs that could go down. There are the obvious ones like Schalke, Werder, Hertha, Stuttgart, Augsburg, Bochum then teams like Hoffenheim and Möchengladbach could get in trouble if they keep regressing and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the overachiever teams Mainz, Union, Köln, Freiburg has a bad season and ends up struggling.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Never rated him very highly, but he just won the league with Zürich, so there's that.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This year especially it's a complete no-brainer to start early. It's an absurdly popular lineup of clubs, Schalke and Hamburg are easily in the top 5 biggest clubs in Germany, Bremen also draws a lot of sympathy and thus interest nation wide and then there's also clubs like Dresden, Düsseldorf, Hannover,

Nuremberg, Rostock and St. Pauli that are fairly big for a 2nd division.They can probably break some viewership records in those first couple of weeks, where nothing else is on aside from preseason friendlies and maybe use the pull from the big clubs to retain some of those viewers throughout the season.
Uh, what's the [ ] link for?

Last edited by a moderator:

verycute

Supports
Schalke
Its Idiotic behaviour yet i fully understand the Frustration :(

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
@Zehner , any talk about Schick having a release clause? Was surprised by him extending his contract.
Great for Leverkusen though!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
@Zehner , any talk about Schick having a release clause? Was surprised by him extending his contract.
Great for Leverkusen though!
Read that there are speculations about one in 2025 but no idea if that's reliable. Would be fine with that though :)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If he can hold on to his performance level he'll be gone next year, release clause or not. This extension probably just means a huge wage bump and insurance for the player if things go sideways to keep him happy next year.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If he can hold on to his performance level he'll be gone next year, release clause or not. This extension probably just means a huge wage bump and insurance for the player if things go sideways to keep him happy next year.
You sound a little bitter ;)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You sound a little bitter ;)
Do you think Leverkusen can hold on to a "goal a game" striker long term? Leipzig did something similar with Werner, Upamecano and seems to be trying the same with Nkunku: they held on to the players for an "extra year" and in exchange the players got a new contract with a nice wage bump and a clause or promise to let them leave the following summer to keep them happy.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Do you think Leverkusen can hold on to a "goal a game" striker long term? Leipzig did something similar with Werner, Upamecano and seems to be trying the same with Nkunku: they held on to the players for an "extra year" and in exchange the players got a new contract with a nice wage bump and a clause or promise to let them leave the following summer to keep them happy.
Not long term, but 2-3 years are generally possible. I think you're descfining this too simply. Schick himself doesn't get tired to communicate how happy he is here and it makes sense because he had quite a few clubs where things didn't work out for him. So there are no guarantees obviously but your reaction makes not much sense. A contract extension with no release clause definitely doesn't make it more possible that he's gone next year.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Read that there are speculations about one in 2025 but no idea if that's reliable. Would be fine with that though :)
Thanks, that would make some sense. Happy that he stays in Buli. Hopefully last season was more than a purple patch.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not long term, but 2-3 years are generally possible. I think you're descfining this too simply. Schick himself doesn't get tired to communicate how happy he is here and it makes sense because he had quite a few clubs where things didn't work out for him. So there are no guarantees obviously but your reaction makes not much sense. A contract extension with no release clause definitely doesn't make it more possible that he's gone next year.
I mean...
https://www.kicker.de/richtig-bock-darauf_brandt-bleibt-bei-bayer-720845/artikel
https://www.kicker.de/brandt_stand-jetzt-bleibe-ich-748496/artikel

These footballers.. ..you shouldn't take the things they say too literally. ;)
And my point wasn't that a move next summer is more likely now, my point is that this summer was clearly the time for Schick to move on and the way football works these days this contract most likely just means Leverkusen bought another year of his services. Being 26 "already" he doesn't have many years to waste either. Even the Kicker article uses the phrases "will stay at least another year" and "juicy wage increase", are they bitter too then?

Last edited:

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean...
https://www.kicker.de/richtig-bock-darauf_brandt-bleibt-bei-bayer-720845/artikel
https://www.kicker.de/brandt_stand-jetzt-bleibe-ich-748496/artikel

These footballers.. ..you shouldn't take the things they say too literally. ;)
And my point wasn't that a move next summer is more likely now, my point is that this summer was clearly the time for Schick to move on and the way football works these days this contract most likely just means Leverkusen bought another year of his services. Being 26 "already" he doesn't have many years to waste either. Even the Kicker article uses the phrases "will stay at least another year" and "juicy wage increase", are they bitter too then?
By extending to 2027, someone would have to pay absurd money to buy him next summer. 4 years left on his contract then.
I dont know how playing for us are "years wasted" as well.