German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

According to Tedesco himself the club wanted to initiate contract extension talks, but he decided to postpone the issue until the WC break, citing bad experiences at Schalke.

A fascinating move from both sides, since I'd say his Schalke comparisons aren't that far off (he just has a much better squad), so I really don't understand why Rasenballsport Leipzig would even want to given him an early extension, nor do I really get why someone would turn down that extra security.

Werder bought Jens Stage from Kopenhagen and Oliver Burke from Sheffield. Any opinions - especially on Burke? His stats from the last seasons are not that promising to be fair.
I guess with Burke it's easy to see what the plan is.
https://fbref.com/en/players/f631c17f/scout/3239/Oliver-Burke-Scouting-Report

We can see that he isn't particularly good on the ball (to put it nicely), but switching between his last two seasons one could probably say he's putting in a shift against the ball (at least in terms of effort). If he hasn't regressed I'd say from his previous time in Germany that he's tall, very quick and athletic. He looks like the stereotypical attacker every poor Bundesliga team has a at least once in their squad. Someone whose job is to run, to threaten depth, to occupy and annoy defenders, but realistically won't do anything meaningful with the ball, other than diving for free kicks and maybe a hand full of isolated individual moments that hopefully matter.

Your Antwie-Adjei, Sergio Cordova, Davie Selke (I guess he's of higher individual quality than the others) or like basically every player Union Berlin ever bought ;)

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I guess with Burke it's easy to see what the plan is.
https://fbref.com/en/players/f631c17f/scout/3239/Oliver-Burke-Scouting-Report

We can see that he isn't particularly good on the ball (to put it nicely), but switching between his last two seasons one could probably say he's putting in a shift against the ball (at least in terms of effort). If he hasn't regressed I'd say from his previous time in Germany that he's tall, very quick and athletic. He looks like the stereotypical attacker every poor Bundesliga team has a at least once in their squad. Someone whose job is to run, to threaten depth, to occupy and annoy defenders, but realistically won't do anything meaningful with the ball, other than diving for free kicks and maybe a hand full of isolated individual moments that hopefully matter.
Like a worse version of Timo Werner?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Like a worse version of Timo Werner?
harsh but true :lol:

Though I'd say Werner has genuine talent - not nearly enough to be an elite player, but enough to be a legitimate part of a strong team. His biggest obstacle seems to be on the mental side.

Blackwidow

What do fans of other German clubs think of the story that Nagelsmann new flame is Lena Wurzenberger from BILD (the story actually was told from BILD who now took her off any Bayern job)?

Bayern really is back to FC Hollywood days.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What do fans of other German clubs think of the story that Nagelsmann new flame is Lena Wurzenberger from BILD (the story actually was told from BILD who now took her off any Bayern job)?

Bayern really is back to FC Hollywood days.
Why would anyone care about that? If they moved her away from their Bayern coverage there isn't even a conflict of interest.
It's not even comparable to what Eberl did.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

According to Tedesco himself the club wanted to initiate contract extension talks, but he decided to postpone the issue until the WC break, citing bad experiences at Schalke.

A fascinating move from both sides, since I'd say his Schalke comparisons aren't that far off (he just has a much better squad), so I really don't understand why Rasenballsport Leipzig would even want to given him an early extension, nor do I really get why someone would turn down that extra security.
As Leipzig's CEO Mintzlaff keeps refusing to employ a new DoF there is a lack of competent management in Leipzig. This could either end directly in tears at some point, or it might result in him signing a DoF Tedesco doesn't like. Refusing to sign an extension means he has an easy exit if he wants it, I don't think he worries much about getting a new job, he is successful enough so that isn't a big issue for him I think.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why would anyone care about that? If they moved her away from their Bayern coverage there isn't even a conflict of interest.
It's not even comparable to what Eberl did.
Agree, this is totally not a big story, just posting it makes sense for BILD announcing why a new reporter takes over, but apart from that I don't see why anyone would care about this.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As Leipzig's CEO Mintzlaff keeps refusing to employ a new DoF there is a lack of competent management in Leipzig. This could either end directly in tears at some point, or it might result in him signing a DoF Tedesco doesn't like. Refusing to sign an extension means he has an easy exit if he wants it, I don't think he worries much about getting a new job, he is successful enough so that isn't a big issue for him I think.
A year ago Tedesco was working in Russia, it's not like he's got a household name. Leipzig is probably the biggest club he will ever get coach in Germany

I don't really see how he'd be in a position of strength. Rasenballsport probably have Rose on speed dial, if he's on a short contract they could sack him on a whim at any point. Nkunku getting injured or losing focus could end him. It looks like he's betting everything on the idea that he will be able to further develop the team in order to have more leverage during negotiations.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm not sure I'd swap Tedesco for Rose if I were Leipzig. The latter's spell at Dortmund wasn't exactly awe inspiring. So far he's living off of his first season at Gladbach and I don't see what he has done so far to be seen as clearly ahead of Tedesco.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm not sure I'd swap Tedesco for Rose if I were Leipzig. The latter's spell at Dortmund wasn't exactly awe inspiring. So far he's living off of his first season at Gladbach and I don't see what he has done so far to be seen as clearly ahead of Tedesco.
I think Rose coaching Leipzig at some point feels almost inevitable, because it's his home town, because his family always remained there, even when he was coaching in Gladbach or Dortmund. He'd give them the one thing that plastic clubs with all their money can't buy.

I think because of that it makes more sense to look at his coaching credentials in terms of "do they disqualify him?".

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think Rose coaching Leipzig at some point feels almost inevitable, because it's his home town, because his family always remained there, even when he was coaching in Gladbach or Dortmund. He'd give them the one thing that plastic clubs with all their money can't buy.

I think because of that it makes more sense to look at his coaching credentials in terms of "do they disqualify him?".
I think first and foremost it is about having the best coach. Tedesco is working great for them, why would they take a gamble and replace him with Rose? What you point out makes sense but I'd say that's of secondary importance to them.

Rose is generally in an uncomfortable position. He hasn't shown enough to be interesting for Bayern (they have Nagelsmann anyway), he's ruined for Dortmund and the only other two clubs that wouldn't be massive steps down don't give the impression that they'll replace their manager anytime soon. Maybe he could go to Frankfurt if they have another disappointing league season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think first and foremost it is about having the best coach. Tedesco is working great for them, why would they take a gamble and replace him with Rose? What you point out makes sense but I'd say that's of secondary importance to them.

Rose is generally in an uncomfortable position. He hasn't shown enough to be interesting for Bayern (they have Nagelsmann anyway), he's ruined for Dortmund and the only other two clubs that wouldn't be massive steps down don't give the impression that they'll replace their manager anytime soon. Maybe he could go to Frankfurt if they have another disappointing league season.
Obviously they won't fire him right now, they just seem to have offered him an extension. But it's probably a situation similar to what Rose himself just experienced with Terzic, if the bosses aren't 100% convinced they'll just go with the other guy. Having an expiring contract would make a change even smoother.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Somehow Malen, Haller and Adeyemi is by far the most expensive front three Dortmund ever assembled. :lol: :(

Maybe it's just me, but this picture still has a photoshop feeling to me.

Somehow Malen, Haller and Adeyemi is by far the most expensive front three Dortmund ever assembled. :lol: :(
Tbf, Amoroso in today's money would be something ridiculous like 75m. Niebaum masterclass.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Pretty convenient to leave Schürrle off that list...
Oh yes, I had almost forgotten about him. But they basically picked strikers only - otherwise e.g. Dembele and Mkhitaryan would be on there, too.

Tbf, Amoroso in today's money would be something ridiculous like 75m. Niebaum masterclass.
He was a pretty great footballer and a big reason why Dortmund won the league and made it into the UEFA Cup final. So at least he delivered something, unlike say Bobic or Ikpeba, who also cost quite a bit, but accomplished precious little.

it's the 20th anniversary of this actually:

:drool:

Last edited:

He was a pretty great footballer and a big reason why Dortmund won the league and made it into the UEFA Cup final. So at least he delivered something, unlike say Bobic or Ikpeba, who also cost quite a bit, but accomplished precious little.
He was very good. The most disastrous bit was where the money came from (or more accurately: was supposed to come from) and that he only received a 3-year contract after which he left on a free. Quite perplexing for a Bundesliga record signing.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He was very good. The most disastrous bit was where the money came from (or more accurately: was supposed to come from) and that he only received a 3-year contract after which he left on a free. Quite perplexing for a Bundesliga record signing.
I don't think he was a on a short contract, after a very good first season, he picked up injurues and then his attitude also became a real problem, especially with someone like Sammer, if I remember correctly they eventually agreed to a termination.

I don't think he was a on a short contract, after a very good first season, he picked up injurues and then his attitude also became a real problem, especially with someone like Sammer, if I remember correctly they eventually agreed to a termination.
Ah, didn't know that. Just found it peculiar he left for nowt.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Gladbach's meltdown continues, Favre aiming for the double backstab. They still have half a dozen important players on a 12 month contract.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Are there any inquiries for Hofmann? It´s surprisingly silent around him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Are there any inquiries for Hofmann? It´s surprisingly silent around him.

Last season Bayern supposedly showed interest, but that's probably out of the question now with the signing of Mazraoui and Mane.

Then, if I remember correctly, the talk was that he might extend his contract. But that was a while ago and I find it hard to see him do that, considering he just made his mark in the NT and can see everything falling apart around him in Gladbach.

If Dortmund are serious about Raum they may as well submit a cheeky bid for him, too. Going fully German back 5 for the memes.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Last season Bayern supposedly showed interest, but that's probably out of the question now with the signing of Mazraoui and Mane.

Then, if I remember correctly, the talk was that he might extend his contract. But that was a while ago and I find it hard to see him do that, considering he just made his mark in the NT and can see everything falling apart around him in Gladbach.

If Dortmund are serious about Raum they may as well submit a cheeky bid for him, too. Going fully German back 5 for the memes.
Who is the German RB at Dortmund? Passlack? :D

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Sebastian Kehl trying to impress in his first season. Doesn't look bad so far, all signings seem to make sense to me.
Hazard is still their only winger while they have now Haller, Reus, Adeyemi, Malen, Reyna and Brandt (+Moukoko) for central positions. Its going to be one hell of a job for Raum/Guerrero and Munir to stretch the opposition. Süle and Schlotterbeck are imo both quality, but I don't see where the creativity is coming from. Imo too much of the same with Reus, Malen, and Adeyemi.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hazard is still their only winger while they have now Haller, Reus, Adeyemi, Malen, Reyna and Brandt (+Moukoko) for central positions. Its going to be one hell of a job for Raum/Guerrero and Munir to stretch the opposition. Süle and Schlotterbeck are imo both quality, but I don't see where the creativity is coming from. Imo too much of the same with Reus, Malen, and Adeyemi.
I wouldn't group Reus with them, but Malen and Adeyemi (to a degree even Moukoko) are basically the same player. And I wouldn't call Hazard a winger in the common sense of the word, because he's yet another player whose strentgh is cleverness in the simple things rather than dribbling or creating. There's not really a holding midfielder either. On Paper the best hope for a cohesive lineup seems to be to buy a proper LWB and play some 343 variant with very direct play.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Would be funny if they signed almost a new eleven but then still start with Meunier at right back. Maybe they are planning to play Wolf as a RWB and plan with Knauff there after his spell at Frankfurt. But then they really need Raum because Guerreiro is no LWB.

Could be quite good though. Brandt played his best football in Bosz' 3-4-2-1, Adeyemi and Malen are good fits for the positions behind the striker as well and Moukoko could also play there better than on the wing. With Süle, Schlotterbeck, Hummels and possibly Akanji, they also have many CBs and Dahoud and Özcan could be a good combo in C(D)M. Especially Dahoud.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Gladbach's meltdown continues, Favre aiming for the double backstab. They still have half a dozen important players on a 12 month contract.
And yet for some entirely unfathomable reason Gladbach are listed on several major betting sites as 5th most likely to win the Bundesliga, only behind Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig and Leverkusen.

I really don't know what that assessment is based on.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And yet for some entirely unfathomable reason Gladbach are listed on several major betting sites as 5th most likely to win the Bundesliga, only behind Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig and Leverkusen.

I really don't know what that assessment is based on.
Probably the same logic by which they list England as favourites for the WC.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
No excuses this season for BVB.
They have bad very smart signings and I will expect this to be their best chance at winning the league especially if Naggelsman continues his 3-2-5 formation

Munier --Sule -Schloterbeck-- Guerrero
-----------Can---Bellingham
-----------------Reus
---Adeyemi---Haller--Malen
For more balance from Malen for Reyna or Brandt

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They have bad very smart signings and I will expect this to be their best chance at winning the league especially if Naggelsman continues his 3-2-5 formation

Munier --Sule -Schloterbeck-- Guerrero
-----------Can---Bellingham
-----------------Reus
---Adeyemi---Haller--Malen
For more balance from Malen for Reyna or Brandt
I wouldn't be surprised if Özcan gets picked ahead of Can. Özcan has been excellent at covering a super attacking team in Köln, while Can hasn't always looked like he has the necessary anticipitation