German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
For Hannover and Karlsruhe, sure. This is like United changing their Twitter name after winning the European Conference thing :wenger:
A few months ago the fans couldn't even be sure whether their club would still exist in a few years and the promotion itself was a huge emotional effort. I don't blame them for celebrating this.
It might be different if they just blazed through the competition.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
For Hannover and Karlsruhe, sure. This is like United changing their Twitter name after winning the European Conference thing :wenger:
True. But I think they should rather do that than dismiss it as "it doesn't matter".

You are probably right that United wouldn't change it's twitter name, but that doesn't make it right, but shows what's wrong with United.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
A few months ago the fans couldn't even be sure whether their club would still exist in a few years and the promotion itself was a huge emotional effort. I don't blame them for celebrating this.
They should celebrate it all they want, don't think any Schalke fan cares too much of I find it small time.

Didn't really think of the financial issues, that's of course a good point. Just Schalke, Hamburg and now Hertha make it so easy to dislike them at board and management level

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We're always so negative about Hertha, so I'm really glad I finally found a stat that puts them in a positive light and may give them some encouragement for next season:

verycute

Supports
Schalke
Schalke have been playing absolutely atrocious football, sprinkled with some individual moments for basically as long as I remember. Sure, there were a few periods that were better than others, e.g. around Möller or Raul, but it was always because of high quality individuals.
So no, I don't think Schalke play like they are playing, because the 2nd division made them that way. :lol:

And sure, Dortmund played badly way too often this season. But the difference is that I can admit that and the club wants to do a radical rebuild, whereas at Schalke no one seems to ever be looking beyond scorelines and you're complaining about disrespect when I point that out.
damn where did my Post go :(

Schalke wants to play better Football for ages. pretty much everytime they started this Process they suddenly have a good Season and finish 2-4 and everything goes south again because short-term success > long term in Gelsenkirchen as we know it. Bad Trainers who are not interested in letting their Team play good didnt help much either or Players who joined Schalke and suddenly are playing very awful. Tedesco is a prime Example. First Season was very Atl.Madrid like just on a lower level :). Second Season he tries to let them play Offensive but nothing works first few Games and then he switches back. You know how that went. But the biggest Reason as is the cause for every Club behind the Big ones... Talent takes the easy Way and Join Bayern or other World Class Clubs > cant compensate that > falls off. Some manage for a fews Years and disappear again

i agree that this Season might be the best that happened to S04 since a decade getting rid of everything that hindered them... The Future COULD be brighter again if the manage to stay in Bundesliga 1 the next 3 Years

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Looks like Baumgart is auditioning for a Trailer Park Boys revival.
damn where did my Post go :(

Schalke wants to play better Football for ages. pretty much everytime they started this Process they suddenly have a good Season and finish 2-4 and everything goes south again because short-term success > long term in Gelsenkirchen as we know it. Bad Trainers who are not interested in letting their Team play good didnt help much either or Players who joined Schalke and suddenly are playing very awful. Tedesco is a prime Example. First Season was very Atl.Madrid like just on a lower level :). Second Season he tries to let them play Offensive but nothing works first few Games and then he switches back. You know how that went. But the biggest Reason as is the cause for every Club behind the Big ones... Talent takes the easy Way and Join Bayern or other World Class Clubs > cant compensate that > falls off. Some manage for a fews Years and disappear again

i agree that this Season might be the best that happened to S04 since a decade getting rid of everything that hindered them... The Future COULD be brighter again if the manage to stay in Bundesliga 1 the next 3 Years
But those coaches, with no interest in playing "good" football, didn't fall from the sky, they were selected by the club.

And it seems pretty obvious to me that through their "Eurofighter" nostalgia the club/fans actually created culture of outdated, terrible, football.

The only genuine attempt of Schalke to improve the quality of their football that I can recall was the signing of Sebastian Rudy and then they tore him down themselves within weeks.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

OMG :houllier:

But he has earned his right to do stupid stuff, most improved team in the league compared to last season :lol:

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not surprising, second season in a row without European football isnt good enough for Hoffenheim.
In general the changing of coaches in the league thats going on since last year is absolutely insane. Not many clubs with real continuity and those who have some are very succesful with it (Freiburg, Union).

verycute

Supports
Schalke

But those coaches, with no interest in playing "good" football, didn't fall from the sky, they were selected by the club.

And it seems pretty obvious to me that through their "Eurofighter" nostalgia the club/fans actually created culture of outdated, terrible, football.

The only genuine attempt of Schalke to improve the quality of their football that I can recall was the signing of Sebastian Rudy and then they tore him down themselves within weeks.
To be able to play that Kind of Style you need the Players and lets be real Schalke rarely has those and if they have they gonna lose them pretty quick. Thats the second biggest issue after switching your Trainer every Year

Back in 2011(god damn thats 11 Years ago) when Rangnick came back and left with a Burnout:/ That Year was brilliant thanks to having players like Huntelaar Raul Farfan Draxler etc. After that too much Mediocre Players or underperforming Players signed for the Club.

im positive for the future that we finally may see a Schalke playing like back in the 30 :P

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
We will have 5 Clubs in the Championsleaugue, Bayern and Eintracht in Pot 1. So a decent chance for Frankfurt to avoid big clubs in the groupstages.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
We will have 5 Clubs in the Championsleaugue, Bayern and Eintracht in Pot 1. So a decent chance for Frankfurt to avoid big clubs in the groupstages.
All clubs in pot 2 and 3 will still be bigger than the Eintracht though.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Nice Bundesliga top eleven of the season from Opta Analyst with good explanations why

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/05/bundesliga-team-of-the-season-opta-2021-22/
I've heard many Bayern fans claim Hernandez was excellent as well. Would you have him ahead of Gvardiol?

I'd switch Nkunku and Diaby and swap Diaby for Gnabry, I believe. And maybe Wirtz or Reus for Grifo. But overall a very good eleven. Schlotterbeck, Raum and Frimpong absolutely deserve to there and probably nobody would have expected them to before the season.

Blackwidow

I've heard many Bayern fans claim Hernandez was excellent as well. Would you have him ahead of Gvardiol?

I'd switch Nkunku and Diaby and swap Diaby for Gnabry, I believe. And maybe Wirtz or Reus for Grifo. But overall a very good eleven. Schlotterbeck, Raum and Frimpong absolutely deserve to there and probably nobody would have expected them to before the season.
Hernandez probably gets as much positive as negative echo from the Bayern fans.

Actually Hernandez does not offer much with the ball and did not switch into a commander role. That is actually what I think the defense at Bayern lacks - somebody that has leader potential. As there is the rumours that some players are overwhelmed with the tactical explanations and Nagelsmann talking too fast etc. - that might influence that, too, when you have just french players in defense that aren't big in German. Even if you have Toppmöller there who speaks a good french a lot probably gets lost in translation.

I think the following stats tell a lot about the league even if I would like that table to include data of the other top leagues, too.

Boavista

All clubs in pot 2 and 3 will still be bigger than the Eintracht though.
Probably most, but also depends on whether Eintracht can keep or even improve their squad a bit. That EL prize money + future CL money adds up to a fair amount..

I just spent way too much time trying to figure out who will be in pot 2 and 3, it all got a bit confusing given all the variables.

If Liverpool win the final, Ajax will be in pot 2. Wouldn't surprise me if they won't be as strong next season after changing manager and losing a bunch of players, but who knows..
The rest of the teams will be Chelsea, Barcelona, Juve, Sevilla, Atletico, Leipzig, Spurs/Arsenal, maybe Liverpool

Pot 3

Dortmund, Salzburg, Shakhtar, Napoli, Sporting, Leverkusen, maybe some of Inter, Benfica, Slavia Prague, Marseille, Rangers, Zagreb or whoever else makes it through qualifying and is highly ranked.

So especially through pot 3 it's possible to get an ok draw. The biggest possible teams there are Napoli and Inter.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Bayern buying the competition. AGAIN. :nervous:

Not sure what I think about this. At least he doesn't seem to be expensive.

Also, fun fact:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Bayern buying the competition. AGAIN. :nervous:

Not sure what I think about this. At least he doesn't seem to be expensive.

Also, fun fact:

Stefan Kuntz living up to his name to steal our players :mad:

It'll suck if he does extra well but then can't play for Germany. We'll need some extra central midfielders when Gundogan calls it a day.

Blackwidow

The young coach (Kovac - it is an "insider") is on the verge to get new coach at Wolfsburg. Can you go 200 km/h with a normal Volkswagen?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Are Hertha giving debuts in the relegation playoff?
They have to play a new keeper, because the Dortmund u23 keeper is injured, why they are also giving a striker his first start I don't know. Maybe Magath thought that only playing 9 defensive players he'd better start a young striker, who still has the legs to help out at the back.
Personally I think balancing out the reckless Serdarinho on the right by playing a CB at #6 and LB at LM is tactical genius.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not the fireworks we all expected, when we saw that Hertha lineup.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
They have to play a new keeper, because the Dortmund u23 keeper is injured, why they are also giving a striker his first start I don't know. Maybe Magath thought that only playing 9 defensive players he'd better start a young striker, who still has the legs to help out at the back.
Personally I think balancing out the reckless Serdarinho on the right by playing a CB at #6 and LB at LM is tactical genius.
For what it's worth Magath considers Mittelstädt to be a winger. He seems to rate Plattenhardt and Björkan more highly as a LB. And Stark has had some decent games as a #6 in the past. Serdar seems to be played out of position every time so that's nothing new.
I hope Jovetic will make an appearance soon. He's the only good offensive player Hertha has, just too bad he's never healthy.

I expect them to increase the pressure in the second half. A goal-less draw would be a pretty poor result now that the away goal rule is gone and the home team may have 120 minutes in the 2nd leg to win the game.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
For what it's worth Magath considers Mittelstädt to be a winger. He seems to rate Plattenhardt and Björkan more highly as a LB. And Stark has had some decent games as a #6 in the past. Serdar seems to be played out of position every time so that's nothing new.
I hope Jovetic will make an appearance soon. He's the only good offensive player Hertha has, just too bad he's never healthy.

I expect them to increase the pressure in the second half. A goal-less draw would be a pretty poor result now that the away goal rule is gone and the home team may have 120 minutes in the 2nd leg to win the game.
I was half joking, when you're fighting for survival there is no beauty prize. If you make it you were right. But having said that I don't see by what standard Mittelstädt passes as a winger and I don't see the point of playing a CB in midfield, when the the players around him are already defensive or at least hard-working choices.

And as HSV seem to have made it past their initial nervousness I don't really see Hertha taking control of the game. I assume they will have to hope for a counter attack.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I was half joking, when you're fighting for survival there is no beauty prize. If you make it you were right. But having said that I don't see by what standard Mittelstädt passes as a winger and I don't see the point of playing a CB in midfield, when the the players around him are already defensive or at least hard-working choices.
Well you're looking at a dysfunctional squad. The only other left winger would be Maolida who has been atrocious so far. Last season we had Cunha and Radonjic playing there, quite a steep drop-off.
Ascacibar would typically play as the DM but he's suspended for this match. So the only options there would be Stark, Darida or Gechter. I don't think that's our biggest problem tonight. It's the useless wingers that make our life difficult.