German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well you're looking at a dysfunctional squad. The only other left winger would be Maolida who has been atrocious so far. Last season we had Cunha and Radonjic playing there, quite a steep drop-off.
Ascacibar would typically play as the DM but he's suspended for this match. So the only options there would be Stark, Darida or Gechter. I don't think that's our biggest problem tonight. It's the useless wingers that make our life difficult.
I know that Magath took over an impossible situation and is trying to find pragmatic solutions, but it's still ridiculous to see the Bundesliga team, and one of the bigger ones at that, have to play like that.

Last edited:

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Beaten by a misplaced cross....this season has been some top-notch satire.

I guess the funniest bit would be if they somehow won 2:0 in Hamburg.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Well you're looking at a dysfunctional squad. The only other left winger would be Maolida who has been atrocious so far. Last season we had Cunha and Radonjic playing there, quite a steep drop-off.
Ascacibar would typically play as the DM but he's suspended for this match. So the only options there would be Stark, Darida or Gechter. I don't think that's our biggest problem tonight. It's the useless wingers that make our life difficult.
Is Darida not good anymore, remember him doing alright a few years back with goals etc.

Felt with the momentum Hamburg would get through and in a very strong position now although with them it's never straight forward.

Weren't HSB last Bundesliga team to actually go down in play off as can remember them losing about a decade ago under Otto Rehhagal so bit of history repeating.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Is Darida not good anymore, remember him doing alright a few years back with goals etc.

Felt with the momentum Hamburg would get through and in a very strong position now although with them it's never straight forward.

Weren't HSB last Bundesliga team to actually go down in play off as can remember them losing about a decade ago under Otto Rehhagal so bit of history repeating.
Yeah Darida's pretty useless these days, he's just too slow.

The last Bundesliga team who lost was actually Stuttgart against Union in 2019. But Hertha's loss against Düsseldorf was very traumatic, with the infamous pitch invasion and legal ramifications.

Regardless of who wins on Monday, the 2nd Bundesliga is probably going to be pretty weak next season. The situation was a lot more difficult for Schalke and Werder this year.

Edit: Just looked up a weird relegation playoffs stat: the Bundesliga teams only have 5 wins, 5 draws and 4 losses in their home games. For some reason they're 7-5-1 in away games though. Playing at home might put too many pressure on teams in such a difficult setting,

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The fun part is that since 2010 the two times a Berlin club was involved in the playoff was also the only two times the Bundesliga club got relegated.

Is it just me or does that sound absolutely insane?

Blackwidow

Rose leaves BVB - just announced - that was surprising now.

How much teams have a new coach again next season?

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Rose leaves BVB - just announced - that was surprising now.

How much teams have a new coach again next season?
Rose, Hoeness, Weinzierl, Kohlfeldt, Hütter (, Leitl, Magath ;))...did I miss anyone?

Last edited:

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That is an incredibly bold move by Dortmund. They spend several years carefully building up Kehl as the next powerful official and follower of Zorcs really big footsteps and this will directly put a lot of pressure on his position. This appointment needs to hit.

The obvious choice as successor would of course be Terzic who produced strong results with little prep time. However they could also throw a curveball here and promote Maaßen, who did really well with the second team.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Those Hütter/Rose deals really paid off then.
The press reported Rose played quite an important role in convincing Süle and Schlotterbeck to join, so Dortmund can chalk that €5m up as an agent comission.
:lol::nervous:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That is an incredibly bold move by Dortmund. They spend several years carefully building up Kehl as the next powerful official and follower of Zorcs really big footsteps and this will directly put a lot of pressure on his position. This appointment needs to hit.

The obvious choice as successor would of course be Terzic who produced strong results with little prep time. However they could also throw a curveball here and promote Maaßen, who did really well with the second team.
If I'm not mistaken the press reported that Rose was actually picked/endorsed by Kehl when he was signed. Though few will probably remember that.
As I posted in the other thread I assume it's going to be Terzic, because they omitted him from their announcement.
Maaßen looks interesting, but it just seems way too risky for the position Dortmund are currently in.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Intriguing :drool:

It's a bit of a pity though as I'd have liked to see Rose giving his macho all for another season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

SkyFakeNewsHD are already comitting to Terzic.

Yesterday's analysis was apparently a long and loud discussion. Differences between coach and club on several topics.

Funny coincidence:

The page for Terzic's agent seems to have gotten verified by TM yesterday.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That comes as a surprise. Not sure what to think about it. Didn't Rose set up a new Dortmund record for most goals scored? The defense was awful and they're already working on replacing almost the complete defense.

Man, the big coaching rotation in the summer really turned out a disaster for most of the clubs involved. Hütter, Rose and Marsch already fired.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That comes as a surprise. Not sure what to think about it. Didn't Rose set up a new Dortmund record for most goals scored? The defense was awful and they're already working on replacing almost the complete defense.

Man, the big coaching rotation in the summer really turned out a disaster for most of the clubs involved. Hütter, Rose and Marsch already fired.
The timing, the fact that no one in the media saw it coming and Kehl's statements in "Dopa" make me believe that this wasn't pre-planend, that they might have had some open questions, but that the actual decision to part ways was made during/after the end of season meeting.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Really surprised, and disappointed, by the firings of Hutter and Rose. Both were given really crap hands either through the squad not being good enough or injuries. But giving them another season is ridiculous given the ability they had shown at previous clubs.

Also what happens with Sebastian Hoeness? I thought he was doing well at Hoffenheim.

Blackwidow

Kaiserslautern - where in 2 and a half hours the first relegation match between 16th of the Bundesliga Dynamo Dresden and 3rd of the 3rd league Kaiserslautern starts.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Kaiserslautern - where in 2 and a half hours the first relegation match between 16th of the Bundesliga Dynamo Dresden and 3rd of the 3rd league Kaiserslautern starts.

This will be absolute mayhem. One of these teams in town is bad enough, but both...

RoyH1

So you German football connoisseurs, where do you reckon Marco Rose ends up? Does he stay in Germany?

Blackwidow

So you German football connoisseurs, where do you reckon Marco Rose ends up? Does he stay in Germany?
I do not think that there is any job open for him in Germany right now that would not be really a big downgrade. The ones that might be acceptable are already filled or in the last steps to be filled again.

Terzic does not scare me - he is the best buddy type of coach. But it seems that they talk about Peter Hermann as assistant coach...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I do not think that there is any job open for him in Germany right now that would not be really a big downgrade. The ones that might be acceptable are already filled or in the last steps to be filled again.

Terzic does not scare me - he is the best buddy type of coach. But it seems that they talk about Peter Hermann as assistant coach...
He was assistant coach to Hannes Wolf as well and full of praise for him. Wouldn't be too worried to be honest

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
I think that's a really interesting question. With his Salzburg past he seems like a natural fit for Leipzig, but they seem to be doing fine under Tedesco. Unless he's willing to go to a smaller club, I don't see an option for him in Germany in the near future.

Which leads to the more interesting question if he would go abroad and where he would get a chance. Spain and Italy seem unlikely. France to a certain extent, too. Which really only leaves the PL. I wonder if his reputation is big enough to get a shot in the Prem?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Rose could end up at Arsenal if Arteta fails again next season.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Don't forget Nagelsmann. Is this the end of manager transfer fees, for now?
Too early to judge Nagelsmann but the others have obviously „failed“ since they won‘t be at their clubs for the second season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

It's Bild though, they would claim to know the exact reasons no matter if they actually did or not.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Kostic was best player in the Europa League
I recalled he was almost transferred to Lazio but for an email error. Making him stay has paid off more than what Frankfurt would have gotten from the transfer fee

Maybe if Bayern insist on Lewy staying for 1yr..

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Kostic was best player in the Europa League
I recalled he was almost transferred to Lazio but for an email error. Making him stay has paid off more than what Frankfurt would have gotten from the transfer fee

Maybe if Bayern insist on Lewy staying for 1yr..
I still want to believe that the transfer failed since there is not „k“ in the Italian alphabet and they therefore messed up his name in the documentation. What a beautiful story! Fantastic player btw.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't forget Nagelsmann. Is this the end of manager transfer fees, for now?
I don't think it is. The point remains that the coach these days is probably the most decisive position in a football club. And the fees are laughable compared to what elite players cost.

In other words, if you could get either Mbappe/de Bruyne/Salah/Benzema/etc. or Guardola/Klopp, I think it I'd go with the latter immediately. So I assume transfer fees for coaches will only go up in the mid to long term

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

It's Bild though, they would claim to know the exact reasons no matter if they actually did or not.
Seems as if the BVB bosses want a yes man as manager who will take their criticism without talking back to them. Blaming him for injuries :lol:

And also conceding too many goals, I mean he conceded 6 more goals with having to play Emre Can in defense. Maybe the leadership should look at themselves for making the squad worse from last season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Seems as if the BVB bosses want a yes man as manager who will take their criticism without talking back to them. Blaming him for injuries :lol:

And also conceding too many goals, I mean he conceded 6 more goals with having to play Emre Can in defense. Maybe the leadership should look at themselves for making the squad worse from last season.
Last season was so bad that they changed manager mid-season and Rose was even worse. And having to play Can because you make mistakes how to treat the players isn't an excuse but a problem you caused yourself.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Last season was so bad that they changed manager mid-season and Rose was even worse. And having to play Can because you make mistakes how to treat the players isn't an excuse but a problem you caused yourself.
What do you mean how he treated his players? There were injury problems all season with Hummels, Zagadou, Akanji and Meunier all out for a decent amount of time (not to for Morey who was out from last season).

The squad was aging from last season and needs significant rehaul. What sense does it make to buy a host of new players to revamp your squad, but then at the same time say the manager was poor so he needs replacement as well? Buying all these players shows that they accept the squad wasn't good enough, and it wasn't as if Rose played a major role in bringing these players in that he can be blamed for it.

I just find it ridiculous to fire a manager, who had done well at his previous club, after just one season when they still came second in the league.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What do you mean how he treated his players? There were injury problems all season with Hummels, Zagadou, Akanji and Meunier all out for a decent amount of time (not to for Morey who was out from last season).
The huge amount of muscle injuries could have been caused by the way he organised the training sessions etc. That's what I meant, I made that point already during the season.

I just find it ridiculous to fire a manager, who had done well at his previous club, after just one season when they still came second in the league.
Since Terzic won the cup Rose was a dead man walking, he had not even started his work in Dortmund at that point.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the general feeling in the public was that the season wasn't satisfactory at all and you couldn't really be sure whether Rose really got the best out of the squad, but because of the various side issues it was okay to give him another season to prove himself.

And I think the bosses shared that feeling, because they committed heavily to Rose time and time again in the press and because Rosexit came as a complete shock, without a single hint even from Bild.

So it doesn't look like they made him out to be a scapegoat or even straight up sacked him, but rather that they wanted to discuss the various issues with Rose in their analysis meeting and then things got to a point where one or both parties said it might be better to go their separate ways.

For all we know it might have been Rose himself, who didn't want to continue, because it would be better for his career/reputation to quit after having reached second place, rather than go into another season and rebuild with a management that already had some doubts about him.

This theory is also supported by the communication from both the club ("BVB and Marco Rose are ending their collaboration" instead of the "Borussia Dortmund have parted company with Lucien Favre") and Rose himself:

I also don't see a strategic issue in switching coaches: Terzic's style is similar to what people wanted to see from Rose. Adeyemi should be a good fit, Özcan hasn't been finalized yet (so Terzic could object if he felt the need to) and Sülinho/Schlotterbeck are the kind of players, who aren't tied to a particular approach at all. The only question - and it's a pretty big one - is whether Terzic is actually a good enough coach.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The huge amount of muscle injuries could have been caused by the way he organised the training sessions etc. That's what I meant, I made that point already during the season.

Since Terzic won the cup Rose was a dead man walking, he had not even started his work in Dortmund at that point.
If muscle injuries are caused by managers then Klopp wouldn't been fired by Liverpool even before he came second in his third season. I still find it funny that when you have a whole team of physios you would still blame the manager.

I think the general feeling in the public was that the season wasn't satisfactory at all and you couldn't really be sure whether Rose really got the best out of the squad, but because of the various side issues it was okay to give him another season to prove himself.

And I think the bosses shared that feeling, hence committing to Rose time and time again in the press.

So it doesn't look like they made him out to be a scapegoat or even straight up sacked him, but rather that they wanted to discuss the various issues with Rose in their analysis meeting and then things got to a point where one or both parties said it might be better to go their separate ways.

For all we know it might have been Rose himself, who didn't want to continue, because it would be better for his career/reputation to quit after having reached second place, rather than go into another season and rebuild with a management that already had some doubts about him.
He definitely didn't do as well as initially thought, I was really critical of him continuing to use the 3 at the back system in the early part of the season but then it also became obvious that the quality of the squad was not the same as previous seasons.

Dortmund's leadership really haven't done well handling managers since Klopp's exit. They had a fight with arguably the most talented German manager at that time, and sacked him after a disappointing season as well, who went on to achieve more success elsewhere, and then you had the sacking if Bosz after just 6 months. Now sacking, or mutual termination, another talented manager (though I don't rate him as highly as I did Tuchel back then) after a disagreement.

Dortmund has really lost that family vibe they had while Klopp was around, everyone just seems to be thinking for themselves and willing to stab others in the back.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He definitely didn't do as well as initially thought, I was really critical of him continuing to use the 3 at the back system in the early part of the season but then it also became obvious that the quality of the squad was not the same as previous seasons.

Dortmund's leadership really haven't done well handling managers since Klopp's exit. They had a fight with arguably the most talented German manager at that time, and sacked him after a disappointing season as well, who went on to achieve more success elsewhere, and then you had the sacking if Bosz after just 6 months. Now sacking, or mutual termination, another talented manager (though I don't rate him as highly as I did Tuchel back then) after a disagreement.

Dortmund has really lost that family vibe they had while Klopp was around, everyone just seems to be thinking for themselves and willing to stab others in the back.
Tuchel put himself in trouble and at some point he had crossed too many lines.

Bosz had the team in 8th place, with an 8 game winless streak and two draws against Nikosia in the CL.

Favre got three seasons to prove himself. He wasn't a good fit so the club looked elsewhere after his contract.

Rose apparently didn't get unconditional support after conceding 52 goals, going out to Sporting in the CL, to Rangers in the EL and St. Pauli in the cup.

The club had a few transfer flops too many and seems to have lost strategic focus lately, but I don't see how any of these coaches got mistreated and especially not stabbed in the back. And whatever Klopp achieved or had with the club is not a realistic standard to expect.