German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Required victory achieved by Bayern vs the mighty VfB.
It is amazing how completely uninterested in the game a 70Mio player can look.
Definitely looked a bit huffy. Didn't understand why Matthäus likened Gnabry to him because he looked much more motivated than Sane. In the first half of the season it seemed he'd finally develop into a worldclass player, now it looks more likely he'll leave in the summer.

Second player after Neuer that could fall out with Nagelsmann.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Cancelo quickly turned into a bench player for Bayern just like he was at City.

Problem seems to be the currently used 3241 system, he can't get past Coman and Davies on the wings here, in the 4231 it would be much easier for him to get a spot, but Bayern currently doesn't use that much.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Cancelo quickly turned into a bench player for Bayern just like he was at City.

Problem seems to be the currently used 3241 system, he can't get past Coman and Davies on the wings here, in the 4231 it would be much easier for him to get a spot, but Bayern currently doesn't use that much.
Wasn't Cancelo bought for right side anyway? I know he is able to play on both sides.
I'm very surprised Nagelsmann chose Stanisic over him for the second game in a row.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wasn't Cancelo bought for right side anyway? I know he is able to play on both sides.
I'm very surprised Nagelsmann chose Stanisic over him for the second game in a row.
I didn't pay full attention, but didn't Nagelsmann play kind of a 343 with Coman on the right? So Stanisic was playing that CB/RB hybrid role, which he's probably just better suited to than Cancelo. It sounds more curious to me that he started ahead of Pavard than Cancelo.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn't pay full attention, but didn't Nagelsmann play kind of a 343 with Coman on the right? So Stanisic was playing that CB/RB hybrid role, which he's probably just better suited to than Cancelo. It sounds more curious to me that he started ahead of Pavard than Cancelo.
Pavard didn't play because he is suspended for the PSG match due to his red card in first leg.
Guess Nagelsmann plans with Stanisic also in the CL and wanted to give him some game time.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Pavard didn't play because he is suspended for the PSG match due to his red card in first leg.
Guess Nagelsmann plans with Stanisic also in the CL and wanted to give him some game time.
That of course sounds reasonable.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
That is what everyone expects, yes. Stanisic needed playing time since he will be the RCB in the back three agaisnt PSG. Coman and Davies are currently pretty much untouchable on the wings.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What's up with Leverkusen starting 4 CBs, plus the defensive monster that is Frimpong, at home against Hertha? Seems a bit overcautious?! Thankfully Hertha have answered with a 5-3-2 (?) of their own..

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What's up with Leverkusen starting 4 CBs, plus the defensive monster that is Frimpong, at home against Hertha? Seems a bit overcautious?! Thankfully Hertha have answered with a 5-3-2 (?) of their own..
Bakker can't play so Hincapie is playing LWB. That aside, everything as usual. And working so far, that should have been the second Azmoun goal and Frimpong assist

Blackwidow

It does. You cannot play a 4-2-3-1 with 2 offensive minded fullbacks when you do not have a real defensive minded no. 6. That 4-2-3-1 in the last years always was asymetrical with Pavard playing defensively and Davies the offensive minded fullback. You would have to balance that out in other parts of the pitch.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I didn't watch it, but what happened here? :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Good times.

Windhorst finally got someone to buy him out:

according to this Kicker article, Hertha are getting bit of money for themselves, too. €35m initially, with the idea to eventually make that €100m. That'll allow them to buy some new players pay Bobic's severance package.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Pavard returns to sabotage us, no change in form there

Haha, now he has redeemed his error :D

GlasgowCeltic

Bayern using a back three just feels wrong to me, they’re a back four and wingers club like Utd

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Oh damn .. Timo Werner accidentally had a good finish.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I could have sworn that penalty kick against Bayern should not count. Didn’t he kick the ball against his planted foot?

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
I could have sworn that penalty kick against Bayern should not count. Didn’t he kick the ball against his planted foot?
Was two touches. Though it was because he slipped a bit but I'm too hungover to try to remember how that works.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Was two touches. Though it was because he slipped a bit but I'm too hungover to try to remember how that works.
I thought I saw a double touch as well. VAR even checked but probably decided there was no irrefutable evidence.
Should have paid the VP of the refs for advice like other clubs do.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Pretty wild that Augsburg have scored more against us this season than PSG and Barca... combined.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
5-3 at full time. Again: wild, and so was our defending at times.
Pavard fecked up after 2 minutes but after that the following 60 minutes were quite good. Than intensity and concentration dropped which is understandable.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Guerreiro in midfield, Bynoe Gittens and Malen starting. I'm ready for this clown show.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
"Emre Can almost stagnated a little bit in recent years" that's why these Sky analysts get paid the big bucks.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Precisely. They have some momentum and this this like a cup final for them. This could be the high point of their club for the foreseeable future.
You’re just trying to not jinx it. ;)
Put some money on a Schalke win or draw so you can be a winner in any case.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You’re just trying to not jinx it. ;)
Put some money on a Schalke win or draw so you can be a winner in any case.
Not really. I'm aware that Schalke are still a terrible team, but they have been fairly solid defensively recently and this will be a very hectic atmosphere and Schalke will try to take this to an emotional place. If they manage to do so, they may actually have the upper hand, since Dortmund's team is a bit depleted. I don't think Dortmund's winning chances are more than say 50%.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's been shaky at the back today, but with 4G/5A Schlotterbeck is having a pretty good offensive output this season. Some of them quite important too, like the two against Augsburg, the setup for Modeste against Bayern and the goal today, which could be good for 7 points in the end. And, much like young Hummels, having a CB just waltz into space, is a true weapon that can break the organization of passive opponents.
Hummels on the other hand has cleaned up quite a bit this game. It's like he's getting faster with age.
Bynoe-Gittens shouldn't start games.. He's been effective as an impact sub, but as a starter he's just making terrible decisions half the time.
Malen is doing okay, but as so often in the past, he's not rewarding himself with a goal. Someone should tell them that you can aim above ankle height, so Schalke can't block these opportunities so easily.

Schalke are worse than I expected. It's one thing to be limited on the ball, but they have been second best without it, too and that should be unacceptable for them.

Last edited:

verycute

Supports
Schalke
Why are you so arrogant about Schalke ???

We went down. We lost every bit of Quality the Club had. We came back and now we are fighting with a 60million Squad against a 530 Million one Draw a 2:2 and still get bashed. Our Offensive is severly limited by Quality and missing Players.

I swear some of you realy need to experience the Downfall of your Club to get humbled again. Probably wont happen with Bayern but with Dortmund theres always a Chance

The Game today went just as expected.Yet the 2 Goals S04 conceded were Gifts to Dortmund. Yoshida only needed to step out and the 0:1 doesnt fall. While the second one i argue S04 was a bit overmotivated and stood way too high suddenly