German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
There's always the risk that last season was just a purple patch, but I think unlike some other players Schick was genuinely very good throughout all of last season. So I wouldn't lump him in with some of the other names.

And what about Dortmund's window?
Adeyemi - I don't see the short term effect yet - he looks very raw to me and I wouldn't be surprised if he needs a season to settle in.
Özcan - there's only so much you can expect signing a player from Köln for €5m.
Süle/Schlotterbeck - that's where the net improvement seems really obvious, Schlotterbeck in particular looks quite exciting. But even then it comes at the cost of Akanji and (benching) Hummels.
Haller - at the moment you need to hope he gets well, before you can think about the football side.

I think in general the window looks promising, because it seems like Kehl is focusing on balance, effort and cohesion, but bottom line is: a bit better in defense a lot worse in attack (until Haller hopefully recovers).

And Terzic is still an unknown quantity. His interim stint was all about improvisation, which didn't go well at all at the beginning and was later (also) carried by the individual quality of Haaland, Reus and Sancho hitting form on the final stretch.

So to summarize I would neither say that the squad or the coaching situation is necessarily improved and I think performances will shape expectations: if the team starts well people will say "oh well, rebuild successful" and expect second place, but if they struggle people will say "oh well, it's a rebuild and what can you do with Haller getting ill" - at least to a degree (finishing top four)
Tough luck on Haller, but there will be a replacement signing. Adeyemi is raw, but raw with some kind of end product. Özcan is a better Laimer for just 5m. I can see a formidable partnership with Bellingham there, and there could be worse things happening than to have better alternatives to an ageing Hummels and brainfart-waiting-to-happen Akanji. I don't discount the points you're making, but neither RB nor 04 look poised for a strong league campaign either.
And while Terzic might not be Pep2.0, his football gives at least the impression of an underlying idea. Rose had you playing the the worst football since Doll, it can only get better from here, despite Haaland's departure.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There's always the risk that last season was just a purple patch, but I think unlike some other players Schick was genuinely very good throughout all of last season. So I wouldn't lump him in with some of the other names.

And what about Dortmund's window?
Adeyemi - I don't see the short term effect yet - he looks very raw to me and I wouldn't be surprised if he needs a season to settle in.
Özcan - there's only so much you can expect signing a player from Köln for €5m.
Süle/Schlotterbeck - that's where the net improvement seems really obvious, Schlotterbeck in particular looks quite exciting. But even then it comes at the cost of Akanji and (benching) Hummels.
Haller - at the moment you need to hope he gets well, before you can think about the football side.

I think in general the window looks promising, because it seems like Kehl is focusing on balance, effort and cohesion, but bottom line is: a bit better in defense a lot worse in attack (until Haller hopefully recovers).

And Terzic is still an unknown quantity. His interim stint was all about improvisation, which didn't go well at all at the beginning and was later (also) carried by the individual quality of Haaland, Reus and Sancho hitting form on the final stretch.

So to summarize I would neither say that the squad or the coaching situation is necessarily improved and I think performances will shape expectations: if the team starts well people will say "oh well, rebuild successful" and expect second place, but if they struggle people will say "oh well, it's a rebuild and what can you do with Haller getting ill" - at least to a degree (finishing top four).

I don't expect Leverkusen to publicly communicate big targets aside from the usual "WE CAN WIN TITLES TOO, YOU KNOW?!?!?" memes, because that would create pressure that Leverkusen wants to avoid. I just think there is a disconnect in this thread between the purported level of the squad and the expectations that should go along with such evaluations.

E.g. you told me that Diaby is worth €60m and very much like Ousmane Dembele and tried to sell me Seoane as a possession coach, who creates high probability chances instead of using a head through the wall approach. Now when it comes to formulating concrete expectations for the season to measure those people against you're telling me you have reservations about Diaby and the same Seoane actually still has a lot to learn when controlling weaker teams. The second best defense in Germany doesn't concede 4 goals in Elversberg and if they do their coach must be one hell of an idiot.

And what has changed about Terzic? He lost both serious(ish) pre season friendlies without particularly amazing play and while we can't take wins against third division for granted I guess, it's nothing game changing if you do it. Saturday will be his first data point.
Diaby is worth €60m because there is demand for quick players who score well. Just because I don't rate him that highly, that doesn't mean nobody can ;) I wouldn't have paid €150m for Dembele either and never saw that special thing about him.

And you'll also find many posts in which I criticized him :) Also, I never said he is a possession coach, we actually talked about positional play and that it is not about possession for the sake of it. His style is definitely different to somebody like, say, Schmidt, who relied completely on winning the ball high up the pitch.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Many Frankfurt Fans are such iditos.

She was signing this hymne absolutely beautiful and gets whistled ffs, probably the last opening game for Frankfurt at home

Nero

2-0 after 10 minutes, should be 4-0. What's the point?

Zoo

Many Frankfurt Fans are such iditos.

She was signing this hymne absolutely beautiful and gets whistled ffs, probably the last opening game for Frankfurt at home
Why were they whistling?

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
I guess to them this is becoming more and more a circus. They just want to attend a match of football without any fuss.

Something similar happened in one of the recent DFB-Pokal finals, where a famous German singer was whistled.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
This could easily be 2:5 and we haven't even seen the first 30 minutes...

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Didn't take Mané 30 min to score his first Bundesliga goal.
May many follow.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Bayerns pressing is insane at the moment. Just hounding Frankfurt players.

Frankfurt really playing into Bayerns hands as well by trying to play from the back. Kostic and Knauff, both wingers by trade, push forward, Frankfurt lose the ball and Bayerns wingers have open space to attack.

Reminding me of when Real tried to attack Barca in Jose's first El Classico in 2010.

4-0 now. Kostic absolutely no where to be found in defense.

This might be Bayerns easiest match of the season, I don't think anyone will okay as naively as Frankfurt are.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
This might come in handy later...

2020 Bayern - Schalke 8:0
2016 Bayern - Werder 6:0
2015 Bayern - HSV 5:0

RoyH1

I know that Bayern is a great team and plays some wondrous football, but this is really not a plus for the Bundesliga. If teams are that inferior people are going to tune out.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I like what I've seen so far:D

I know that Bayern is a great team and plays some wondrous football, but this is really not a plus for the Bundesliga. If teams are that inferior people are going to tune out.
They're the reigning EL champions. Maybe we're just a bit good tonight

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
From the last 6 games between those teams both won 3.
Frankfurt won the Europe league and they are usually very hard to beat home.

No one, not even the most arrogant Bayern fan, expected a game this one sided.

Zoo

Congrats Bayern on winning the Bundesliga.

NZT-One

From the last 6 games between those teams both won 3.
Frankfurt won the Europe league and they are usually very hard to beat home.

No one, not even the most arrogant Bayern fan, expected a game this one sided.
Might all be correct but the other comment was probably correct: people will stop watching. Obviously not the Bayern Fans, but all the neutrals.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Might all be correct but the other comment was probably correct: people will stop watching. Obviously not the Bayern Fans, but all the neutrals.
Yeah I totally get this point.
But it's not Bayerns job to get worse.

NZT-One

Yeah I totally get this point.
But it's not Bayerns job to get worse.
No thats certainly correct. But, for the sake of the league, all clubs should sit together and think about a way to change the status quo. I mean, at some point it will start to hurt Bayern as well, doesn't it?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Really excited to see how Bayern go in Europe this year. I reckon they’ll prove to be the team to beat in the Champions League come next spring. Their summer signings look superb on paper and if they can integrate them into the first XI, they look a formidable outfit.