German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah I thought Moukoko looked decent against Leverkusen in that first game. Should have been preferred over Modeste
I don't think Moukoko has the big physical presence to play as lone 9

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Okay this will count
Bayern left side is leaking.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Dortmund have been so uninspired today. Leipzig should be winning 3-4 nil but they've fecked up a lot of attacking opportunities.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That's a pen,

De Ligt is awful at times

Idxomer

Bayern isn't a threat to win the CL with De Ligt and Upamecano in their defence.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bayern are so bad this season. :lol: Bundesliga pretty much like France now where it seems like PSG barely win a game but when you look at the table they're still 15 points clear.

Would be so refreshing if Freiburg could pull a Leicester although remote prospect.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I thought that was a harsh decision, the ball had already left after being shot and then there was contact. Defending is insanely difficult now compared to two decades ago.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Gnabry should be sold while his value is still there. Feels like he isn't in the same tempo as the rest of the team for a while.

Also, Upamecano gives a clownish feeling every game. Dunno if he has problems concentrating, he is slow/dull at times and then responds in a hurry and makes those easy mistakes.

Lewandowski absence is very big for now, the team still creates chances, but there's no one to finish them most of the time.

Mane needs to be fully integrated by winter, if not Bayern doesn't have a chance at UCL this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern are so bad this season. :lol: Bundesliga pretty much like France now where it seems like PSG barely win a game but when you look at the table they're still 15 points clear.

Would be so refreshing if Freiburg could pull a Leicester although remote prospect.
Well... ...have you looked at the table?

Nero

I thought that was a harsh decision, the ball had already left after being shot and then there was contact. Defending is insanely difficult now compared to two decades ago.
That would be a freekick anywhere else on the field so definite penalty.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Well... ...have you looked at the table?
I was on about last season. Bayern dropped more points than Man. City (25) yet still won by 8 points and title race was never really a thing.

Problem is this imo is weakest Dortmund 11 for a very long time especially in final third so can't really see them having run of form that could get them in lead by 4-5 points.

Perhaps Leipzig with the fantastic debut league win for Marco Rose can now win 4-5 in a row. They certainly have the talent in attacking third for it.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Some bullshit, this :mad:
We seem to have exactly one lineup which is able to perform at the required level, and all rotation or injury immediately turns up the clown factor.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That would be a freekick anywhere else on the field so definite penalty.
While that is true, it wasn't the case 5-10 years ago. Penalty rules have quickly changed to become much softer and overall difficult for defenders. Just acknowledging that as defenders tend to get overcriticized these days, as De Ligt is being right now. He was unlucky, went in to block the shot and Guirassy's natural movement after shooting got under his foot.

NewYorkRed

Hmmm. Take a top striker out of a top team, and they struggle to win as much. Another one for those who are convinced you don’t need a top 9 in the “modern era.”

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
So uhm...how long until a big club decides to steal Urs Fischer from Union? Or could this be one of those rare Chrstian Streich types of tenure that last for a long long time...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So uhm...how long until a big club decides to steal Urs Fischer from Union? Or could this be one of those rare Chrstian Streich types of tenure that last for a long long time...
Fischer is doing an amazing job, but I'm not sure Union's style is particularly appealing for big clubs, his track record in Europe could also be a problem. Maybe Frankfurt could be interested, since they usually like to buy a lot of athletic, tough players, who would probably fit in well at Union too; or Schalke: their club philosophy at this point is basically shitty hoofball, so Fischer's approach could actually be a cultural upgrade for them. On the sporting side it would probably be a downgrade for the foreseeable future from his point of view though.

So I don't think you're getting off that easy.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Well in honor of our new Union overlords I dug up a list of all clubs who have ever led the Bundesliga...

Bayern: 860x
Dortmund: 173x
Gladbach: 139x
Bremen: 130x
Hamburg: 102x
Kaiserslautern: 91x
Köln: 82x
Leverkusen: 73x
Schalke: 59x
Stuttgart: 56x
Frankfurt: 55x
Nürnberg: 36x
Braunschweig: 34x
Wolfsburg: 23x
1860 München: 17x
Hertha / Hoffenheim: 16x
Leipzig: 14x
Mainz / Uerdingen: 6x
Rostock / Düsseldorf / Offenbach: 5x
Hannover / Karlsruhe: 4x
Bochum / Bielefeld / Duisburg: 3x
Freiburg / Essen / Oberhausen: 2x
Paderborn / St. Pauli / Union: 1x

So somehow Augsburg have managed to survive the Bundesliga for 11 seasons without ever taking the lead, quite a feat.
There are quite a few surprises ranking-wise but I guess this list is more about who was dominant at some point in time rather than about being consistently good.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Well in honor of our new Union overlords I dug up a list of all clubs who have ever led the Bundesliga...

Bayern: 860x
Dortmund: 173x
Gladbach: 139x
Bremen: 130x
Hamburg: 102x
Kaiserslautern: 91x
Köln: 82x
Leverkusen: 73x
Schalke: 59x
Stuttgart: 56x
Frankfurt: 55x
Nürnberg: 36x
Braunschweig: 34x
Wolfsburg: 23x
1860 München: 17x
Hertha / Hoffenheim: 16x
Leipzig: 14x
Mainz / Uerdingen: 6x
Rostock / Düsseldorf / Offenbach: 5x
Hannover / Karlsruhe: 4x
Bochum / Bielefeld / Duisburg: 3x
Freiburg / Essen / Oberhausen: 2x
Paderborn / St. Pauli / Union: 1x

So somehow Augsburg have managed to survive the Bundesliga for 11 seasons without ever taking the lead, quite a feat.
There are quite a few surprises ranking-wise but I guess this list is more about who was dominant at some point in time rather than about being consistently good.
What period does this cover?

In particular, I didn't know Kaiserslautern had had that much success in its history. (I read up on them a bit on Wikipedia just now.)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Those 11 years were the time when football became incredibly polarized, these days a small club probably has like 2-3 match days, until it's next to impossible for them to lead the table and it's not just Bayern, Dortmund or say Leipzig are also capable of having incredible starts - even if they drop off behind Bayern at some point. If I were to guess I'd say the last time someone else was leading the table after MD6 must have been Mainz, when they had that ridiculous winning streak at the start of the 10/11 season, over that period you probably have like 30 or less instances where someone other than those three was leading the table.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What period does this cover?

In particular, I didn't know Kaiserslautern had had that much success in its history. (I read up on them a bit on Wikipedia just now.)
It's the whole time since the Bundesliga in It's current form was founded. Before that there were multiple regional leagues and a cup tournament to find the champion.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's the whole time since the Bundesliga in It's current form was founded. Before that there were multiple regional leagues and a cup tournament to find the champion.
I was just wondering about the year actually. But I was a little less lazy and found it now: 1963.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Last season they were one of the positive surprises, with wins against Bayern and Dortmund - now he's been sacked after six matches. Yet another reminder how quickly things can change in football.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Last season they were one of the positive surprises, with wins against Bayern and Dortmund - now he's been sacked after six matches. Yet another reminder how quickly things can change in football.

Another case: last season he was needed as their saviour, now Wolfsburgs manager Kovac announced that Max Kruse won't play for them any more games, Kovac won't include him in matchday squads.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Those 11 years were the time when football became incredibly polarized, these days a small club probably has like 2-3 match days, until it's next to impossible for them to lead the table and it's not just Bayern, Dortmund or say Leipzig are also capable of having incredible starts - even if they drop off behind Bayern at some point. If I were to guess I'd say the last time someone else was leading the table after MD6 must have been Mainz, when they had that ridiculous winning streak at the start of the 10/11 season, over that period you probably have like 30 or less instances where someone other than those three was leading the table.
Took a closer look and they were oh so close in 20/21. Impressive wins against Union and Dortmund gave them 6 points and 5:1 goals, but a 92nd minute penalty by Kramaric meant that Hoffenheim squeezed past them with 6 points and 7:3 goals.

Almost makes me want to start a "Let Augsburg lead!" petition :)

And regarding smaller teams leading after matchday 6:

Leverkusen in 20/21: matchday 11-12
Gladbach in 19/20: matchday 7-14

But yeah , no other teams since Mainz...

Last edited:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
World Cup coming up, of course Reus had to do his ankle. He's a twat, but I feel for him
Why is he a twat ?
He really is cursed with injuries before major tournaments...

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Why is he a twat ?
He really is cursed with injuries before major tournaments...
His whole driver's license episode made him look utterly stupid and entitled

Legal issues
Edit
In December 2014, Reus was fined €540,000 for driving without a valid licence, which constitutes a felony in Germany.[117] The fine was based on his then monthly salary of €180,000.[118] He had been driving for years with a fake Dutch licence,[119] a felony in its own right,[120] and has been issued with speeding tickets on at least five occasions since 2011 without authorities knowing that he was not legally licensed. The felony charges for using a counterfeit licence were later dropped causing some controversy and raising questions from politicians whether his celebrity status had been a reason for a milder sentence.[121] When convicted, Reus said, "The reasons I did it are something I cannot really understand."[122] Prior to his conviction, he had appeared in commercials for cars and petrol.[122] In August 2016, Reus confirmed that he now has a driver's licence.[123

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Finally something happening after the most boring first half conference in ages.