German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

Idxomer

Bayern this season have no clue what to do against teams sitting deep.

avgp_1

Poor goal to concede for Leverkusen but it's been coming. Taking off Frimpong and Demirbay and moving CHO from the center has taken away any control they had

avgp_1

Augsburg keeper pulling off some fine saves but Bayern were poor

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
We're officially shit. Augsburg has been a favorite banana peel of ours even for good and great Bayern teams, this time though we were already on a downward spiral and the defeat doesn't even come as a big surprise. Dire stuff.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Maybe they should try Neuer upfront, seems to know a thing or two about headers...- ^^

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
We're officially shit. Augsburg has been a favorite banana peel of ours even for good and great Bayern teams, this time though we were already on a downward spiral and the defeat doesn't even come as a big surprise. Dire stuff.
Pretty good header by Neuer, though. Every cloud and all that

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah he just looks off pace
That's what you get for signing players from.a farmer's league. He doesn't get the space he's used to here. Bayern should stick to signing BL proven players.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Just a reminder that Kovac got sacked after 18 points in 10 matches and Ancelotti got fired after 13 points in 6 matches.

Bayern certainly haven't been patient when dealing with slow starts in recent years.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Just a reminder that Kovac got sacked after 18 points in 10 matches and Ancelotti got fired after 13 points in 6 matches.

Bayern certainly haven't been patient when dealing with slow starts in recent years.
Good point, they didn't have to splash actual cash for Kovac and Carlo, though

cyberman

I remember I had a conversation with @2ndTouch about missing Lewa and replacing him with a player who scored 1 more league goal than Vardy last year.
You need that consistent goal scorer throughout a season and it’s no wonder Bayern are struggling without him

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Paying a transfer fee for Naggelsman makes it awkward

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I remember I had a conversation with @2ndTouch about missing Lewa and replacing him with a player who scored 1 more league goal than Vardy last year.
You need that consistent goal scorer throughout a season and it’s no wonder Bayern are struggling without him
The thing is, in the first matches of the season we already saw that this team can work without Lewandowski or another similar point man. No idea how it fell to pieces so fast, everyone just hitting a slump at the same time seems unlikely.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I mean Kovac cost some money as well but yeah, that would be painful...I doubt that would stop Bayern though if they really feel they need a change.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Zehner I saw the strangest thing today. Schalke's fans left the lowest part of their block empty at the start of the game and after 10 oder 15 minutes some shady figures, possibly criminals, appeared and took up that space. The whole away section roared in delight and suddenly the away end was much, much more vibrant.

Guys.. Bayern stomached beating Barca by just two goals - without a word of discontent.. I'll think they'll be fine with losing to Augsburg.

Last edited:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Very weird match. Bayern didn't play well and Augsburg looked much sharper and motivated. Still Bayern won 57% of the direct duels.
The attacking game looked disjointed. Several times the last pass or deciding making was so poor wasting excellent opportunities. Still Bayern had 3 to 4 1:1 on the goalkeeper and should have easily scored a couple. Again they had over 20 shots, 8 on target.
Augsburg surely played with heart, a few times too hard but Bayern should be able to still win such games with the quality they have.
Disappointed start to the campaign. Leverkusen and Dortmund next. Will be interesting.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Quiz time: can you guess where the Leipzig section is?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Do you want your jaw snapped?
Thing with Mané is, he's a system player but Bayern have no use for players who only perform under perfect conditions. He needs to adjust to the pace and physicality of the league.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Thing with Mané is, he's a system player but Bayern have no use for players who only perform under perfect conditions. He needs to adjust to the pace and physicality of the league.
:lol:
Getting better

Banter aside, I do wonder what cliff he fell off. Then again, he's not alone by far, which points more towards tactics than individual form.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And to the high lines. He is so used to cowardly defending against him that he is caught offside all the time. Needs to learn how to deal with that and stay onside.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
And to the high lines. He is so used to cowardly defending against him that he is caught offside all the time. Needs to learn how to deal with that and stay onside.
Also the Klopp effect. He just enhances the players and they drop off a cliff under other coaches. Been the same with Coutinho. Better stay away from transfer business with Liverpool.

Okocha119

I was about to say that both Kovac and Ancelotti started their second year in a weakened position due to a number of poor performances in the prior year, but the numbers are actually in their favour when you compare them with Nagelsmann. Both finished on higher point totals in the league (though only marginally so) and managed to do well in at least one cup competition (Kovac won the DFB cup, Ancelotti almost made it to the CL final). Nagelsmann, meanwhile, crashed out of both CL and DFB cup in pretty embarassing fashion.

I guess both Ancelotti and Kovac had that one loss that made it impossible to keep them (PSG for Ancelotti, Frankfurt for Kovac) and Bayern haven't had any straight up unexplainable results yet this season, so the situation isn't exactly analogous. Having another Gladbach would probably mean the end for Nagelsmann though, especially if the Bayern management doesn't consider Tuchel too much of a diva to go for him.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I was about to say that both Kovac and Ancelotti started their second year in a weakened position due to a number of poor performances in the prior year, but the numbers are actually in their favour when you compare them with Nagelsmann. Both finished on higher point totals in the league (though only marginally so) and managed to do well in at least one cup competition (Kovac won the DFB cup, Ancelotti almost made it to the CL final). Nagelsmann, meanwhile, crashed out of both CL and DFB cup in pretty embarassing fashion.

I guess both Ancelotti and Kovac had that one loss that made it impossible to keep them (PSG for Ancelotti, Frankfurt for Kovac) and Bayern haven't had any straight up unexplainable results yet this season, so the situation isn't exactly analogous. Having another Gladbach would probably mean the end for Nagelsmann though, especially if the Bayern management doesn't consider Tuchel too much of a diva to go for him.
Their current start is the worst league start in 12 years... that means since Dortmund won the league. At the moment Dortmund leads the league, so who knows what happens...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Ancelotti lost the dressing room over his management approach and Kovac was out of his depth from day one. Both arguably should have been sacked at the end of their first season. As long as the squad doesn't complain they don't compare to Nagelsmann.
I think people are being overly dramatic about a couple of unfortunate results.
Dortmund aren't nearly in good enough shape to challenge them for the league anyway and Leipzig and Leverkusen [insert joke of your choosing] are doing their best to miss top four.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's obviously oversimplifying but Bayern just need to know how to put the ball in the back of the net. They again created many chances today but just couldn't get past an inspired Gikiweitz. Second amazing goalkeeping performance they've faced recently, after Sommer.

Definitely missing the ruthless finishing it Lewandowski. Sane, Mane, Muller and co don't have the individual finishing quality.

Okocha119

Their current start is the worst league start in 12 years... that means since Dortmund won the league. At the moment Dortmund leads the league, so who knows what happens...
In a reality where Dortmund is beating every team in its way in convincing fashion and leading the league with 21 points - yeah, maybe. But unfortunately the current Dortmund team isn't really looking like much of a title contender. Assuming that both teams get the same amount of points in their next game, Bayern can just beat Dortmund and it will be like nothing ever happened since the other possible candidates (Leipzig, Leverkusen) are having an even worse time. It's not like Bayern need to be seriously concerned about falling behind Freiburg. Losing the Dortmund game could pose a problem, but I think that's pretty unlikely, given how both teams have looked so far.

Ancelotti lost the dressing room over his management approach and Kovac was out of his depth from day one. Both arguably should have been sacked at the end of their first season. As long as the squad doesn't complain they don't compare to Nagelsmann.
I think people are being overly dramatic about a couple of unfortunate results.
I don't think you can decouple these things. Going on that kind of streak always has its effects on the dressing room and you often don't hear about the exact details of what's going on behind the scenes after at least one of the actors has left the club. Also, it's not like Nagelsmann has been completely unassailable so far. Still, I agree with you that Kovac should have never been appointed in the first place. Some of the stuff he said and did just seemed weirdly out of place for a Bayern manager.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Definitely missing the ruthless finishing it Lewandowski. Sane, Mane, Muller and co don't have the individual finishing quality.
Lewandowski isn't that ruthless, but he is excellent in getting chances. His conversion rate is pretty standard.

Rumour has it that he already lost Lewandowski and that that was a cause for why he moved to Barcelona. It's not hard to imagine other players to lose their trust in Nagelsmann as well.