German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I am going to say this in my native tongue because english doesn't quite capture the nuance

Dortmund: ma andate a cagare. Siete un club inutile

NoLogo

TBF beyond the choking title race there were loads of interesting stories. Union Berlin making CL is incredible, basically same as Brentford making CL so shows the achievement although personally wanted Freiburg to get as that would've been another great achievement by Christian Streich. Still Europa league again shows how well run Freiburg generally are.

And Bundesliga has become a very unforgiving league for any big club that is shambolically run. Schalke and Stuttgart have effectively become yo yo clubs which would've been incredible to think 20 years ago when both were top 6 regulars and Hertha Berlin been chaotic last few years. If Hamburg don't choke yet again and actually get promoted they'll probably struggle to not be bottom 3 next season.

I do think there is plenty of good still in Bundesliga with how certain teams innovate and give chances to young players and coaches but it is suffering from stigma of Bayern winning league even on autopilot.
Absolutely, Union and Freiburg are THE shining examples of how to run clubs and make the most out of your financial possibilities.

mu4c_20le

German football now officially turd.
Both teams at the top were summarized in their current shitness today, none of them deserve a medal for a season full of spineless performances in crucial moments.
Weird feelings of football. Won the league, but lost the war.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
What happened to teams like Monchengladbach, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg? Last two were even fighting for European football, casually losing to some of the worst teams in the league. This Bundesliga season has been an absolute coin toss. Just heads or tails on who wins, favorites and underdogs were not a thing this year.

Shame there is no real competition for Bayern unless they are at their absolute worst. And they still fecking win it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What happened to teams like Monchengladbach, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg? Last two were even fighting for European football, casually losing to some of the worst teams in the league. This Bundesliga season has been an absolute coin toss. Just heads or tails on who wins, favorites and underdogs were not a thing this year.

Shame there is no real competition for Bayern unless they are at their absolute worst. And they still fecking win it.
We bottled the season in the first 8 games. In the end, the team was visually tired from the international games plus many long term injuries. Gladbach is in complete disarray and has a weak team.

I think there are lots of reasons for this development. Mainly that the league is financially left behind and many fans and clubs don't seem to care. But many clubs are also a bit outdated and ambitionless tactically, I think. The league is dream walking into irrelevance.

Really the only hope is a European wide salary cap.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Shows how unbelievable competitive this league is, everyone can beat everyone!

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
We bottled the season in the first 8 games. In the end, the team was visually tired from the international games plus many long term injuries. Gladbach is in complete disarray and has a weak team.

I think there are lots of reasons for this development. Mainly that the league is financially left behind and many fans and clubs don't seem to care. But many clubs are also a bit outdated and ambitionless tactically, I think. The league is dream walking into irrelevance.

Really the only hope is a European wide salary cap.
Well it seems that everything is going into irrelevance except for La Liga because of Real and Barcelona and Premier League and Premier League is also a one-team league nowadays. Also big question marks if Barcelona can ever return to their former level.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well it seems that everything is going into irrelevance except for La Liga because of Real and Barcelona and Premier League and Premier League is also a one-team league nowadays. Also big question marks if Barcelona can ever return to their former level.
It feels as if all clubs bar City have had a horrible season.

BarryWinks

Just saw the results. I'm usually not one to say a team bottled it but wtf did Dortmund do today of not bottle it?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Sad for Haller, Guerreiro, Adeyemi and Bellingham, but it's ok, next year they'll be champions with Bayern.
Haller is mediocre.

He showed today that he isn't good enough for Bayern Munchen (aside from giving them the title haha)

I'd be surprised if Bayern signs him up.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Oh apologies. It's clearly a terrific league. Really high standard.
It's not.But people exaggerate way too much.

When you are the one dominating, you don't complain.

During 90s EPL, from 92 to 2002, United won 8 titles... I'm sure everyone who wasn't a United fan wasn't happy about the league, and that was only stopped by Chelsea corrupt oligarch money, followed by Abu Dhabi money, otherwise PL would be another Bundesliga now, and let's not forget that City/Guardiola are on their way to make PL a one team league, with the rest of the teams watching them celebrate title after title from a corner.
Nobody who is a fan of City think PL is boring, pretty much obvious why, it's mostly other fans calling PL boring and predictable.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Its ownership rules only sound good in theory. In reality it's made it easy for the club with the largest financial advantage to dominate and has discouraged any wealthy owners to buy a Bundesliga club due to the lack of control they'd have. It's a failing model.
And that was the destiny of PL around 2002, but it was stopped by oligarch and nation stage money.

50+1 is good but some germans clubs are very missmamaged like Leverkusen, Stuggart, etc

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Haller is mediocre.

He showed today that he isn't good enough for Bayern Munchen (aside from giving them the title haha)

I'd be surprised if Bayern signs him up.
I wanted to talk about Haller being really average but honestly the guy came back from cancer treatment this season so it's harsh to judge him without him getting time to recover.

He was a big signing for Dortmund and was then diagnosed even before the season started. That was a massive blow for them early on and had to rely on bloody Modeste to lead the line.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The salary cap could be the saving grace. Anyway, nonleague is as onesided as the Bundesliga. And even if the competition behind them is entertaining, the purpose of a league is winning it and that makes the whole thing kind of dull.

And that was the destiny of PL around 2002, but it was stopped by oligarch and nation stage money.

50+1 is good but some germans clubs are very missmamaged like Leverkusen, Stuggart, etc
I don't think they're mismanaged. They perform more or less as good as their financial capabilities. I believe English fans generally overestimate them. They basically live off their good scouting and talent development.

Thing is, the league is stuck in the past a bit with their emphasis on pressing and transition systems. 10 years ago it was revolutionary and ensured the short peak the league had but I feel the league failed to reinvent itself. But the main cause is money, plain and simple.

es-muellert

Supports
Bayern München
Bayern needs only five more League titles to break the world record of Talea FC of the Oceanic island Vanuatu, who won the Port Vila Premier League for 15 consecutive seasons from 1994 to 2008-09.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Bayern needs only five more League titles to break the world record of Talea FC of the Oceanic island Vanuatu, who won the Port Vila Premier League for 15 consecutive seasons from 1994 to 2008-09.
Ludogorets is on the verge of winning its 12th consecutive leage title in Bulgaria this season..

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I wouldn't even call Arsenal's defeat as bottle job. City always was close to them. With game at Etihad always in hand.
Then Dortmund even bottled it less. They never were more than 2 points ahead of Bayern.
Weren't Arsenal up to 8 points clear at some point. Arsenal had a much worse run in them Dortmund.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Mainly that the league is financially left behind and many fans and clubs don't seem to care.
It's a just a disaster. How come teams like Sandhausen and other 2nd Bundesliga teams are able to prevent the a deal of 2-3 billions to bring an investor for broadcasting the league.

The big clubs should stop their solidarity payments to the Bundesliga 2. They only should get the guaranteed 80 million and not 240 million Euro.

Pintu

Then Dortmund even bottled it less. They never were more than 2 points ahead of Bayern.
Weren't Arsenal up to 8 points clear at some point. Arsenal had a much worse run in them Dortmund.
Arsenal blew 2-0 lead twice in one week… They dropped some very unlikely points at home. But still ended up with a higher ppg than both Bayern and Dortmund (their first half of the season was too good)… You gotta believe they’d have won this iteration of Bundesliga despite the bottling…

es-muellert

Supports
Bayern München
It's a just a disaster. How come teams like Sandhausen and other 2nd Bundesliga teams are able to prevent the a deal of 2-3 billions to bring an investor for broadcasting the league.

The big clubs should stop their solidarity payments to the Bundesliga 2. They only should get the guaranteed 80 million and not 240 million Euro.
How will a new broadcaster make more people want to watch the league?

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
How will a new broadcaster make more people want to watch the league?
The problem of the Bundesliga isn't the national broadcasting revenue. There they are pretty much on par with the rest.

It's the intentional marketing of the broadcasting rights. I definitely believe the right investor could have increased this revenue drastically.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The problem of the Bundesliga isn't the national broadcasting revenue. There they are pretty much on par with the rest.

It's the intentional marketing of the broadcasting rights. I definitely believe the right investor could have increased this revenue drastically.
Absolutely. I think the Bundesliga has been terrible at the marketing front for decades. It is a bit embarassing that such an institution is still talking about a need for digitization in 2023.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It was horrible. I am sorry you had to experience it in this way. And I mean that.
Thank you, but it actually wasn't as bad an experience as you may think. I guess being at the stadium and thus not having/getting to watch what happened in Köln or any replays helped. It's a huge disappointment of course, but Dortmund aren't a top quality team at the moment anyway, so there's still a lot of positives to take from this season, despite fecking up at the last hurdle. Schalke getting relegated also helps a little bit.

stw2022

Low ticket prices make many clubs unable to compete. It's fine for Bayern to keep prices for fans low because they have commercial revenues to compensate. Other teams don't. A club languishing midtable will need that investment far more than Bayern does yet if the best club in the country is charging very little for entry it had a tremendous downward pressure on what other teams can charge

Yet everyone thinks that's a great thing about German football. If other clubs could match Bayerns commercial income they'd be charging Premier League prices for season tickets to maintain the financial advantage, no doubt about that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Low ticket prices make many clubs unable to compete. It's fine for Bayern to keep prices for fans low because they have commercial revenues to compensate. Other teams don't. A club languishing midtable will need that investment far more than Bayern does yet if the best club in the country is charging very little for entry it had a tremendous downward pressure on what other teams can charge

Yet everyone thinks that's a great thing about German football
Wow, you've got it all figured out. It really is Bayern setting the ticket prices for the entire country and not football culture and fan influence that keeps ticket prices affordable. All they need is protests instead of support at every match to pump up revenue.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Wow, you've got it all figured out. It really is Bayern setting the ticket prices for the entire country and not football culture and fan influence that keeps ticket prices affordable. All they need to do is be as smart as you and have protests instead of support at every match to pump up revenue.
People like @stw2022 really don't seem to get that German clubs are actually that - clubs, consisting of people who love it and who would never accept pricing themselves out of visiting it.

It's not like the PL where no clubs exist, just entertainment corporations. People hated Woodward for his "Disneyland proposal" to Klopp, but he was quite right about it. The PL is just that.

stw2022

Wow, you've got it all figured out. It really is Bayern setting the ticket prices for the entire country and not football culture and fan influence that keeps ticket prices affordable. All they need to do is be as smart as you and have protests instead of support at every match to pump up revenue.
If fan culture makes the league as uncompetitive as Vanuatu then maybe it needs challenging?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
People like @stw2022 really don't seem to get that German clubs are actually that - clubs, consisting of people who love it and who would never accept pricing themselves out of visiting it.

It's not like the PL where no clubs exist, just entertainment corporations. People hated Woodward for his "Disneyland proposal" to Klopp, but he was quite right about it. The PL is just that.
This is the worst part of Dortmund fecking up. You get all these people, who think they have it figured out and need to spread their insights, after watching half an hour of Bundesliga yesterday.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
As dramatic as this was, looks like the 3rd league managed to top even the legendary Schalke/Bayern ending yesterday.
Wiesbaden's fans had already stormed the pitch as their rival Osnabrück was down 0:1 and needed a win to secure promotion...and then the unthinkable happened, an equalizer in the 94th minute followed by the winning goal in the 96th minute.
I just wish Dortmund had been as fortunate...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As dramatic as this was, looks like the 3rd league managed to top even the legendary Schalke/Bayern ending yesterday.
Wiesbaden's fans had already stormed the pitch as their rival Osnabrück was down 0:1 and needed a win to secure promotion...and then the unthinkable happened, an equalizer in the 94th minute followed by the winning goal in the 96th minute.
I just wish Dortmund had been as fortunate...
You're right and the setup was even more ridiculous:

They were denied by a single point of GD. They even have an almost identical amount of goals scored and conceded. And behind them there's two teams who were just a point shy.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If fan culture makes the league as uncompetitive as Vanuatu then maybe it needs challenging?
Yes, it's all about fan culture holding clubs back. Get rid of these fans and jack up ticket prices and suddenly Union Berlin is going to challenge Bayern. That's the way it's playing out in your head, right?