German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What exactly have Kahn and Mintzlaff achieved Völler hasn't?

That aside, I'm very happy Rummenigge is in a gremium to analyse the feck ups of the Qatar WC. Do I spot a new rolex on his wrist by the way?
Uhm.. Titles? They are also currently actively leading top clubs and despite everything else you can say about them RB know a thing or two about systematic success.
I still wouldn't put Mintzlaff on there though, but for political reasons.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Not the most pleasant bunch of people, but aside from Völler it's quite the lineup in terms of management success.
I don't think Mintzlaff should be there either.
Your hatred for everything that is even remotely associated with Leverkusen is hilarious at this point. :lol:

Joeyfromtheblock

Supports
eintracht frankfurt
The Neuer Situation is brutal. Hes out for the rest of the season and they kinda have to beg to monaco so they get nübel back. If not... they got 1 keeper and the second one is a guy who didnt play 1 professional game yet

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Your hatred for everything that is even remotely associated with Leverkusen is hilarious at this point. :lol:
I'm just not very impressed by his management achievements. He also didn't find a way to grow the club's fan base and the club became famous for a comfort zone culture and bottling under his leadership. All things the NT has to watch out for.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I'm just not very impressed by his management achievements. He also didn't find a way to grow the club's fan base and the club became famous for a comfort zone culture and bottling under his leadership. All things the NT has to watch out for.
To be fair, how do you go about building a bigger fanbase for Leverkusen? Where are those fans supposed to live? Much easier said than done.
Also Völler had relative success in 2002 with a team solely consisting of Kahn, Ballack and Schneider. He also knows the structure of the DFB very well.
All that makes me sound like a fan of his, which I’m not. I just don’t see how he‘s supposed to be less capable to aid in that process than let’s say Kahn, who has done basically nothing of note yet.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To be fair, how do you go about building a bigger fanbase for Leverkusen? Where are those fans supposed to live? Much easier said than done.
Also Völler had relative success in 2002 with a team solely consisting of Kahn, Ballack and Schneider. He also knows the structure of the DFB very well.
All that makes me sound like a fan of his, which I’m not. I just don’t see how he‘s supposed to be less capable to aid in that process than let’s say Kahn, who has done basically nothing of note yet.
I can't tell you how to grow Leverkusen, I can only see that he couldn't do it and maybe even oversaw a decline.
And keeping fans on board is something DFB struggles with as well.

2002 was a football lifetimes ago and he's not there to coach, these guys are there for strategy. I don't think transitioning Leverkusen out of the CL ranks is impressive in that regard.
He doesn't strike me as an analytical person or the deepest of thinkers either, but that's just my personal impression.

Kahn indeed hasn't build up a big career for himself yet, but I think there's still a lot of value in having someone, who has his hand on the pulse of Germany's biggest club.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I can't tell you how to grow Leverkusen, I can only see that he couldn't do it and maybe even oversaw a decline.
And keeping fans on board is something DFB struggles with as well.

2002 was a football lifetimes ago and he's not there to coach, these guys are there for strategy. I don't think transitioning Leverkusen out of the CL ranks is impressive in that regard.

Kahn indeed hasn't build up a big career for himself yet, but I think there's still a lot of value in having someone, who has his hand on the pulse of Germany's biggest club.
Rummenigge has his hands on the pulse of Germanys biggest club, too. So what do we need Kahn for? Like I said, not a fan of Völler. But you’re doing him an injustice by singling him out like that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Rummenigge has his hands on the pulse of Germanys biggest club, too. So what do we need Kahn for? Like I said, not a fan of Völler. But you’re doing him an injustice by singling him out like that.
Rummenigge had his hands on the pulse and he oversaw all the things that the DFB also wants to accomplish. If he wasn't such a cnut I'd call him an invaluable addition. But he's old and times are changing, so I think it's also important to offset that with contemporary leadership, like Kahn.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Uhm.. Titles? They are also currently actively leading top clubs and despite everything else you can say about them RB know a thing or two about systematic success.
I still wouldn't put Mintzlaff on there though, but for political reasons.
Forgot about that. I'm sure Bayern would still be chasing their first Bundesliga title if it wasn't for Kahn's superior management skills.

And again, let's not forget that Rummenigge returned from his Qatar journey with two brand new Rolex watches. This is the guy that now shall assess what went wrong in Qatar when the biggest issue the German public had with the national team was that they weren't integer?

Exactly my humor.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Forgot about that. I'm sure Bayern would still be chasing their first Bundesliga title if it wasn't for Kahn's superior management skills.

And again, let's not forget that Rummenigge returned from his Qatar journey with two brand new Rolex watches. This is the guy that now shall assess what went wrong in Qatar when the biggest issue the German public had with the national team was that they weren't integer?

Exactly my humor.
The titles bit wasnt entirely serious, I just had to respond to the setup. I think I covered what Kahn and Rummenigge bring to the table in previous posts.

And I don't think this is about the last WC: it sure was the final catalyst for reform, but if the real problems lied there they could have just sacked Flick and moved on.

And while I don't like Rummenigge either this doesn't seem to be a position that puts him at risk of reverting to his smuggling days or sell any institutions out to Qatar.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

So much fuss about Nübel and in the end he may just be Thomas Kraft 2.0...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
@do.ob you are not really letting Moukoko leave over a „measly“ €1m difference? :(

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I personally expect him to be a couple of years older (20 - 22) but he is nonetheless a striker talent that hopefully stays at your club.
If he is indeed 22 years old, but demands to be a top earner nonetheless, then he can kindly feck off.
I also think he's a bit immature on the pitch, which is fine if he's 18, but would be an increasingly large red flag the older he'd be.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I personally expect him to be a couple of years older (20 - 22) but he is nonetheless a striker talent that hopefully stays at your club.
That would make him 2-4 years older than official. I think there's a natural limit to how much older he could be because he's already playing in Germany since he's 11. Mistaking a 20 year old for a 16 year old is one thing but a 15 year old for an 11 old? Maybe, but over the course of 7 years?

I mean.. he's clearly improved enormously since then as well. Doubt that would be the case if he played in age groups he was too old for. I think at most, we're talking about a year or two, if at all.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
That would make him 2-4 years older than official. I think there's a natural limit to how much older he could be because he's already playing in Germany since he's 11. Mistaking a 20 year old for a 16 year old is one thing but a 15 year old for an 11 old? Maybe, but over the course of 7 years?

I mean.. he's clearly improved enormously since then as well. Doubt that would be the case if he played in age groups he was too old for. I think at most, we're talking about a year or two, if at all.
Yeah, probably. Which is why i said 20 to 22. But who knows. For me there is too much smoke for there to be no fire at all.
It also doesn’t really matter since him being so successful at youth levels wasn’t only because of physicality.

No matter if he is 18, 20 or 22: he can become a really good player and I hope he stays at Dortmund.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Is is such a surreal saga, I love it. :lol:
Nübel is absolutely correct. It is either him or Neuer but it cannot be both. Therefore it makes sense for him to stay and play at Monaco.
I wouldn’t call it a saga though. Bayern will simply buy Sommer or Bono.

Blackwidow

Nübel is absolutely correct. It is either him or Neuer but it cannot be both. Therefore it makes sense for him to stay and play at Monaco.
It just shows that he does not have the necessary big club mentality. He could have shown himself playing for a top club and would show that he is the future for Bayern, the goalkeeper situation in Munich could change, too. (Even if the believe in Neuer would still be higher he would advertise himself for other big clubs like this, too). And his loan is running out at the end of the season anyways, even if he still has contract until 2024.
Neuer is 37 in March and only has a contract until 2024, too.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thanks to Neuer's injury it would be guaranteed to be him though, wouldn't it? I think it's a golden opportunity for Nübel to really prove that he actually got what it takes to be Bayern's No1. Certainly more so than playing for third place with Monaco. I also don't think it would be a good sign if he dodges the competition, expecting everything to fall into his lap when Neuer retires.

And I meant the wider scope. From Schalke missing a deadline to extend his contract, to making him captain, to him bombing completely, to Bayern signing him and proclaiming him Neuer's heir apparent, to Nübel suddenly realizing that maybe it's not so good to sit on Bayern's bench after all, to him now turning down the opportunity to be Bayern's No1 by default for half a year. Not that I could fairly judge him, but this story is giving me Kraft 2.0 vibes.

I mean the lad is 26 years old, he's being touted as Bayerns (and by extension Germany's) future no1, the press linked him to Dortmund before they signed Kobel and last year was the first time he actually got to play a full season as No1. Maybe he really has the talent, but looking at it from afar the whole circus around him looks like mad hype.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It just shows that he does not have the necessary big club mentality. He could have shown himself playing for a top club and would show that he is the future for Bayern, the goalkeeper situation in Munich could change, too. (Even if the believe in Neuer would still be higher he would advertise himself for other big clubs like this, too). And his loan is running out at the end of the season anyways, even if he still has contract until 2024.
Agreed. If he thinks chances like that appear twice in a footballer's career, he can wait for its reappearance while he's spending his at some Fulham or Leverkusen level club.

Blackwidow

There was a thread some weeks/months ago about players learning (or not learning) the language of the club's country. I could not find it - but maybe that is interesting for some. FC Bayern has its own German teacher that takes care of the team, the players on the Campus and sometimes family of the players.

FC Bayern in the last days has released 3 videos from the German classes of Mane and de Ligt. It can be watched with english subtitles.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thanks to Neuer's injury it would be guaranteed to be him though, wouldn't it? I think it's a golden opportunity for Nübel to really prove that he actually got what it takes to be Bayern's No1. Certainly more so than playing for third place with Monaco. I also don't think it would be a good sign if he dodges the competition, expecting everything to fall into his lap when Neuer retires.

And I meant the wider scope. From Schalke missing a deadline to extend his contract, to making him captain, to him bombing completely, to Bayern signing him and proclaiming him Neuer's heir apparent, to Nübel suddenly realizing that maybe it's not so good to sit on Bayern's bench after all, to him now turning down the opportunity to be Bayern's No1 by default for half a year. Not that I could fairly judge him, but this story is giving me Kraft 2.0 vibes.

I mean the lad is 26 years old, he's being touted as Bayerns (and by extension Germany's) future no1, the press linked him to Dortmund before they signed Kobel and last year was the first time he actually got to play a full season as No1. Maybe he really has the talent, but looking at it from afar the whole circus around him looks like mad hype.
Ah, sorry. I understood you incorrectly. Yes, Nübel itself is a saga.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Not sure. Even if he performs well for Bayern until the summer he won’t be starting for the 23/24 season. He‘d be on the bench again since Bayern will not bench Neuer. I understand that it is not the most inviting situation for him.

Blackwidow

Not sure. Even if he performs well for Bayern until the summer he won’t be starting for the 23/24 season. He‘d be on the bench again since Bayern will not bench Neuer. I understand that it is not the most inviting situation for him.
If Neuer's healing goes without problems.

And it is not just that he can show himself to Bayern - but if he is great that season at a top club his chances for other top clubs are a lot better, too!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
But you can see how it would be infinitely better for his reputation if he were to do well for Bayern at the business end of the season and genuinely earn some silverware while he's at it? His loan with Monaco ends this summer anyway, so he will be in the same situation (contractually) either way. But he has the chance to create some doubts about Neuer's no 1 status or to make himself interesting for other clubs (e.g. United seem to be looking at a couple of not so elite keepers at the moment), maybe make Flick invite him with the future in mind - and he seems to be passing on it. To me that looks like he lacks confidence.

Last edited:

Blackwidow

To me that looks like he lacks confidence.
Not just to you. But he might be realistic about his capability? He has not really shown until now that he is capable of much more.

Let's face it like this. To be competitive over years at the top clubs you have to have a big self confidence and be willing to work your ass of to do everything for your career. A level lower it might be a lot easier. At the end of your career you will be rich anyways and be able to live a good live - maybe not super rich and maybe not famous, but that life might be far better than always being in the public eye.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So Freiburg sell Kevin Schade to Brentford for 25m€ and likely aren't even gonna miss him because he doesn't appear in their first team this season.

And on top of that they are swimming in money so they want Brentford to pay next season, not this one to spread out their income (deal is structured as loan plus buy obligation).

Quite impressive how the club evolved, this transfer is another prove for it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So Freiburg sell Kevin Schade to Brentford for 25m€ and likely aren't even gonna miss him because he doesn't appear in their first team this season.

And on top of that they are swimming in money so they want Brentford to pay next season, not this one to spread out their income (deal is structured as loan plus buy obligation).

I think this more proof of how dumb English clubs are with their money more rather than anything else. Still amazing news for Freiburg though.

More good news:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Would love to finally see Haller again. Class player who I’ve really liked ever since his time at Frankfurt.

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
I think this more proof of how dumb English clubs are with their money...
I like my BVB, but Brentford dumb? What the eff is your take on 50M packages for the average Graupen Schulz, Schürrle, and Wolf respectively then?

Hint: contrary to Schade, two of those three couldn't get into EPL even if they had wanted to, and Schürrle sort of failed, and again, at Fulham.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I like my BVB, but Brentford dumb? What the eff is your take on 50M packages for the average Graupen Schulz, Schürrle, and Wolf respectively then?

Hint: contrary to Schade, two of those three couldn't get into EPL even if they had wanted to, and Schürrle sort of failed, and again, at Fulham.
Ouch :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Great reasoning. So Dortmund buying flops makes the business of Brentford better how exactly..?
Not to mention that those guys quite easily could have secured a PL move at the time Dortmund bought them. I mean you mentioned yourself that Schürrle was still able to join a PL club after he had already flipped badly in Dortmund.

arthurka

He looks talented, brilliantly run club Freiburg.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
I think this more proof of how dumb English clubs are with their money more rather than anything else. Still amazing news for Freiburg though.

More good news:

Brentford dumb with their money :eek: you clearly have no clue fella!

Anyway the quoted fee especially 25m Euros figure is not accurate at all...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Isn't it? It was reported by Kicker, which usually is a reliable German source.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I didn't make a wider point about Brentford. I just think that paying €25m for a fringe player of Freiburg, who had one start all season in the league, upping their transfer record by about €25m is silly. And I'm assuming it's €25m, because Kicker reported it and they are usually very reliable.