German football is turd

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Their collective finishes dead last in this group without Thuram and Plea being exceptional

They're well coached for sure, but ultimately it's those two that carried them in CL
I don't think they're exceptional. Good players, sure, but I believe you see more in them than there actually is. Gladbach's individuals shine because the collective is very, very strong. Put those two in a dysfunctional team and they look nothing like the players you believe they are. Thuram still has time to develop but Plea might already have met his level with a club of Gladbach's prestige. Jovic for example looked much more impressive for Frankfurt than Plea and Thuram are looking for Gladbach if you ask me. Individually, Gladbach definitely had better teams than this current one during the last 10 years or so. Rose has such a great impact on that team. I rate Eberl very highly, too, so I expect the squad to only become better within the next years. Definitely a project to keep an eye on.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
So at the end of the group stage it's time for a recap:

England
- Manchester City: 1st in their UCL group
- Liverpool: 1st in their UCL group
- Chelsea: 1st in their UCL group
- Manchester United: 3rd in their UCL group
- Arsenal: 1st in their UEL group
- Tottenham: 1st in their UEL group
- Leicester City: 1st in their UEL group

Spain
- Real Madrid: 1st UCL group
- Barcelona: 2nd UCL group
- Sevilla 2nd UCL group
- Atletico 2nd UCL group
- Villarreal 1st UEL group
- Real Sociedad 2nd UEL group
- Granada 2nd UEL group

Germany
- FC Bayern : 1st UCL group
- Borussia Dortmund: 1st UCL group
- BMG: 2nd UCL group
- RB Leipzig: 2nd UCL group
- Hoffenheim 1st UEL group
- Leverkusen 1st UEL group
- Wolfsburg eliminated in the UEL play-off round

Italy
- Juventus 1st UCL group
- Lazio 2nd UCL group
- Atalanta 2nd UCL group
- Inter 4th UCL group
- Napoli 1st UEL group
- Roma 1st UEL group
- Milan 1st UEL group

France
- Paris SG 1st UCL group
- Marseille 4th UCL group
- Rennes 4th UCL group
- LOSC Lille 2nd UEL group
- Nice 4th UEL group
- Reims eliminated in the UEL play-off round

I would say that Premier League has been the best league so far in Europe. SIX teams to the knockout phase as group winners.. Spain and Germany very good and pretty much on the same level, Italy OK, terrible from France. Can't believe someone really said Ligue 1 is better than Bundesliga in this thread

Raredaredevil

I knew this thread will come back to haunt us as soon as it is created. The arrogance of the EPL fans always looking down on other league and thinking it is inferior to the EPL. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ligue 1 really needed Lyon in Europe

Paul_Scholes18

Basically only two teams failed in the 4 big leagues with 4 CL spots. Us and Inter! In the hardest two CL groups yes, but missed great chances near the end to qualify over German teams.
Both teams bottlers for sure.
Germany did only bottle it in Europa league not to qualify.

Spain all did the job, but most teams did not impress that much.

Footy van de Geek

Not only are German teams doing well on limited budgets compared to other leagues, their Austrian neighbors are also doing very well.

Salzburg and Wolsberger are into the knockout stages of The Europa League. LASK were unlucky not to get 2nd place in Spurs' group. Well done to our former feeder club, Royal Antwerp who pipped them to 2nd place.

Tonicruise

Supports
FC Bayern
Intresting that Austria has 2 teams in the EL knockout stages aswell. Thats not bad for a small (german) state :lol:

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
So at the end of the group stage it's time for a recap:

England
- Manchester City: 1st in their UCL group
- Liverpool: 1st in their UCL group
- Chelsea: 1st in their UCL group
- Manchester United: 3rd in their UCL group
- Arsenal: 1st in their UEL group
- Tottenham: 1st in their UEL group
- Leicester City: 1st in their UEL group

Spain
- Real Madrid: 1st UCL group
- Barcelona: 2nd UCL group
- Sevilla 2nd UCL group
- Atletico 2nd UCL group
- Villarreal 1st UEL group
- Real Sociedad 2nd UEL group
- Granada 2nd UEL group

Germany
- FC Bayern : 1st UCL group
- Borussia Dortmund: 1st UCL group
- BMG: 2nd UCL group
- RB Leipzig: 2nd UCL group
- Hoffenheim 1st UEL group
- Leverkusen 1st UEL group
- Wolfsburg eliminated in the UEL play-off round

Italy
- Juventus 1st UCL group
- Lazio 2nd UCL group
- Atalanta 2nd UCL group
- Inter 4th UCL group
- Napoli 1st UEL group
- Roma 1st UEL group
- Milan 1st UEL group

France
- Paris SG 1st UCL group
- Marseille 4th UCL group
- Rennes 4th UCL group
- LOSC Lille 2nd UEL group
- Nice 4th UEL group
- Reims eliminated in the UEL play-off round

I would say that Premier League has been the best league so far in Europe. SIX teams to the knockout phase as group winners.. Spain and Germany very good and pretty much on the same level, Italy OK, terrible from France. Can't believe someone really said Ligue 1 is better than Bundesliga in this thread
I would say that spain has been the best league this year, results wise.

1) Spain: all teams classified.
2) England: one team demoted from champions league to Europa.
3) Italy: one team eliminated form champions league.
3) Germany: one team eliminated form Europa.
5) France: 2 teams eliminated form champions league. 2 teams eliminated form Europa.

SirMarcusRashford

5) France: 2 teams eliminated form champions league. 2 teams eliminated form Europa.
Traditionally i prefer seeing United/City/Liverpool/Chelsea in the Champions League because i always felt these teams could always represent the Premier League the best.

I used to hate teams like Spurs/Leicester/Everton/Arsenal sneaking in as i felt it was a waste of place. Now I'm beginning to think United are the weak link and United are the team letting down English football and are wasting a Champions League spot for the Premier League.

Looking at how good Kane and Son are looking this season, would have been great to see how they would have fared against the likes of Barcelona/Madrid/PSG/Bayern/Juventus.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

No, Germany did best since their league is the worst out of the 5 and barely better than the Dutch or Portugese league. Am i doing it right?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, Germany did best since their league is the worst out of the 5 and barely better than the Dutch or Portugese league. Am i doing it right?
Exactly. The extremely competitive Ligue 1 is clearly the best, you can't rest your players before european games.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Intresting that Austria has 2 teams in the EL knockout stages aswell. Thats not bad for a small (german) state :lol:
Austria is a small German state? They also have a great cricket team eh? Shane Warne was my favourite player

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Actually you just need to watch UEFA's 5 year ranking to see that Bundesliga and Seria A are the contender for rank 3 (actually when season 17/18 gets eliminated then BL is gonna be on rank 3 comfortably).
France is battling with Portugal for rank 5.

No idea how someone could say french league is even close to any of the leagues above.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Basically only two teams failed in the 4 big leagues with 4 CL spots. Us and Inter! In the hardest two CL groups yes, but missed great chances near the end to qualify over German teams.
Both teams bottlers for sure.
Germany did only bottle it in Europa league not to qualify.

Spain all did the job, but most teams did not impress that much.
So us and the club starring our rejects flopped in the CL.

No big surprise.

FrenchToastMafia

Supports
Celtic
It’s not turd. The quality throughout the lower end of any league can vary season to season.

TheRedHearted

I knew this thread will come back to haunt us as soon as it is created. The arrogance of the EPL fans always looking down on other league and thinking it is inferior to the EPL. Wake up and smell the coffee!
Over the two games our record was surely better? Four more goals.

PoTMS

Nah, I agree Bundesliga besides Bayern is poo. Just because an inconsistent Manchester United side had an off day against Leipzig doesn't make the Bundesliga better than the Premier League. We would have lost to Accrington Stanley if we played like we did against Leipzig.

always_hoping

Whatever about the comparison with the EPL this was a daft thread to be creating. Current European champions from that league and Champions league semi finalists.

I Know they got hammered yesterday but makes little sense that Dortmund have sacked their manager when just a handful of points off the top.

Denis' cuff

You're having a laugh, right?

The last 3 seasons has been all City/Liverpool without a proper challenge from anyone else.
3 seasons? Well you’ve obviously won this one, pal

whats Bayern 20 years? 30? Psg not doing so bad either

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Guys, guys, we're supposed to hate on German football here, not on each other.

Anyways, to topic, great to see the BL have all teams qualify from both the UCL and EL group stages (specially nice to see Hoffenheim and Leverkusen dominate their groups). For the latter stages though I fear for all in the UCL, an Italian team is the last team I would want Bayern to face given how defensively strong they are, and how defensively weak Bayern have been this season. Dortmund were poor in both matches v Lazio, so Lazio can pull off an upset here.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I have a confession to make. A few years ago @Brwned suggested that a lot of the PL's popularity is due to a deliberate marketing campaign where it is promoted as uniquely difficult and challenging and good compared to other leagues. I laughed. Hard. What nonsense.

A few years and a few hundreds of pointless threads like this later... Yeah he was right.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Eyes don't deceive. Watching the BL is like watching the Championship most weeks.
I always considered it the league along with EPL that has the strongest lower sides. Germany also has a very 'fair' TV distribution and that along with 18 teams means that lower teams are actually quite strong in comparison to the dogshit that fills up the bottom of the French league or La Liga.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I have a confession to make. A few years ago @Brwned suggested that a lot of the PL's popularity is due to a deliberate marketing campaign where it is promoted as uniquely difficult and challenging and good compared to other leagues. I laughed. Hard. What nonsense.

A few years and a few hundreds of pointless threads like this later... Yeah he was right.
:lol: it is well marketed in fairness!

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
What a friggin' weird league; another former Top3 club facing relegation (this time around, Schalke 04).

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
What a friggin' weird league; another former Top3 club facing relegation (this time around, Schalke 04).
In EPL this would have been termed as unpredictability, where a top 3 team can face relegation

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Quality of football around Europe has nosedived. Players and coaches are all shattered.